Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The only credit for that track on IMDB in a soundtrack is for a Swedish film called "Blodigt jävla helvete"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there...

Not a lot of info to go on for this one, sorry! I was in a local record store today, and in light of yesterday's sad news, they were playing Bowie's 'Low' album. Specifically the instrumental track 'Art Decade':

The moment I heard it I thought it was from a film, and even asked the guy behind the counter. But a Google search has shown up nothing. The melody starts about 12 seconds into the song. It strikes me as something I might have seen in a Film/TV program/Trailer back in the early 80s, kinda Blade Runner/Tron/even Betty Blue, but I know it's none of them. Anyone any ideas if it was used in Film/TV?

Thanks...

J.

The soundtrack from Furyo, by Ryuichi Sakamoto, perhaps?

This is 'Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence'

Start around the 50'' mark.

It's not the track you mention, but parts of it remind me of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your replies! Needless to say, it's not 'Blodigt jävla helvete'! Though I did enjoy looking at the trailer online... :)

Interesting link there New Home, as while that's not it (as you say) it's another piece of music that had I heard it, I'd be wondering where I know it from!

It's definitely Art Decade that I recognise, but it doesn't look like it's from anything mainstream (or even not mainstream). I wonder if it was used in TV Promos for a sci-fi film, or even a trailer for a film or something like that?

J.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or maybe from some videogame?

New Home wrote: »
    Or maybe from some videogame?

That's a good call, I didn't think of checking video games. Off I go...

J.

• Advertisement

Tell us if you find it, I'm curious now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't know if this helps but any time I hear the song it always reminds me of the music from A Clockwork Orange. They're not really that similar when it comes down to it but there's something about Art Decade that always reminds me of the Wendy Carlos score.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fad460

Tell us if you find it, I'm curious now...

I don't think it is in any film/TV. My friend is a huge fan and she would have known.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seeing as Low was a huge influence on countless bands from the late 70s onwards it could have been something that just ripped off Art Decade or sounded very similar.

fad460 wrote: »
    I don't think it is in any film/TV. My friend is a huge fan and she would have known.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm wondering now if I either heard it through a TV promo for a movie/season of movies, or maybe a radio promo. Either way, I doubt I'm going to find out!

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I'm sure it was outer limits or twilight zone but it could have been some kind of amiture film... at the end she kills him or badly maims him thinking he was lying all along and when she goes to the surface there's nothing but destruction and fire from a Nuclear bomb..

'The Day After', 1983, deals with the aftermath of a nuclear explosion, but I don't know if that's the one you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

'The Day After', 1983, deals with the aftermath of a nuclear explosion, but I don't know if that's the one you're looking for.

no its more recent like with in 1-year or so but this movie looks interesting :):D

I watched it when I was 12 or 13 and it scared the bejaysis out of me.

Low budget 1980s video nasty type film that I saw on a pirated videotape years ago at a friends house.The storyline ripped off loads of other horror/exploitation movies of the 70s and 80s.The main character was a Vietnam vet living in a run down apartment with his wife and a baby that was kind of deformed like the one in Eraserhead.It ripped off elements of Taxi Driver,there was something to do with a child prostitute who he was rescuing from a pimp I think and he shoots dead members of a criminal gang who are terrorising the neighbourhood,maybe one of them was the pimp I can't remember.I remember there were these Vietnam flashback scenes at the start that used stock Nam footage of planes dropping bombs etc and was then cut in with these really cheap looking scenes of yer man with his rifle dodging in and out behind trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

darkdubh wrote: »
    Low budget 1980s video nasty type film that I saw on a pirated videotape years ago at a friends house.The storyline ripped off loads of other horror/exploitation movies of the 70s and 80s.The main character was a Vietnam vet living in a run down apartment with his wife and a baby that was kind of deformed like the one in Eraserhead.It ripped off elements of Taxi Driver,there was something to do with a child prostitute who he was rescuing from a pimp I think and he shoots dead members of a criminal gang who are terrorising the neighbourhood,maybe one of them was the pimp I can't remember.I remember there were these Vietnam flashback scenes at the start that used stock Nam footage of planes dropping bombs etc and was then cut in with these really cheap looking scenes of yer man with his rifle dodging in and out behind trees.

Sounds like "Combat Shock " think it is on the Troma Channel on Youtube and Arrow released it on DVD a few years back.

jh79 wrote: »
    Sounds like "Combat Shock " think it is on the Troma Channel on Youtube and Arrow released it on DVD a few years back.

Yes,thats it!Looking at the trailer its quite misleading,its being marketed as an action film which it wasn't really.I think they were aiming for a sort of art house social realism but down to bad acting and special effects and untra low budget it came across like an exploitation B- movie.

Yes,thats it!Looking at the trailer its quite misleading,its being marketed as an action film which it wasn't really.I think they were aiming for a sort of art house social realism but down to bad acting and special effects and untra low budget it came across like an exploitation B- movie.

Never a fan of the Troma stuff but as a collector of video nasties and 70's / 80's exploitation i had heard of it. The Exterminator would be my recommendation of a Vietnam vet whose had enough type movie.

jh79 wrote: »
    Never a fan of the Troma stuff but as a collector of video nasties and 70's / 80's exploitation i had heard of it. The Exterminator would be my recommendation of a Vietnam vet whose had enough type movie.

It didn't strike me as a typical Troma film,it was played straight unlike their typical spoofy stuff,probably worth a look.

It didn't strike me as a typical Troma film,it was played straight unlike their typical spoofy stuff,probably worth a look.

My mistake, it is distributed by troma in the US. I should give it a look on youtube. I do like Mothers Day so probably shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

tonyheaney wrote: »
    I'm sure it was outer limits or twilight zone but it could have been some kind of amiture film... at the end she kills him or badly maims him thinking he was lying all along and when she goes to the surface there's nothing but destruction and fire from a Nuclear bomb..

I remember this from the last few years but it wasn't a full film as you say but maybe a short story amidst other stories.

was it she wakes up in the bunker and the neighbour tells her she was knocked out and he brought her in just before the disaster happened and even though it indicated that he was trying to Fritzl her that when she escapes outside that the world is destroyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

tonyheaney wrote: »

There's an episode of Metal Hurlant Chronicles luke this, with James Marsters as the guy and Michelle Ryan as the girl, could that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Wishox

Whats the name of that movie, you know the one with the guy in it? he had hair. Anyone ?

Wishox wrote: »
    Whats the name of that movie, you know the one with the guy in it? he had hair. Anyone ?

Westworld with Yul Brynner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Wishox wrote: »

Kuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kev W wrote: »
    There's an episode of Metal Hurlant Chronicles luke this, with James Marsters as the guy and Michelle Ryan as the girl, could that be it?

that's the one I was thinking about alright but not sure if this is what the OP was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

searching for a movie i saw a few years back. I can only remember a few scenes. A group of friends decide to film an expedition to a town, where apparently a century previously several dozens of persons disappeared in the local wilderness.

I can remember that during there expedition the friends start to hear a humming sound and decide to follow it to its source deeper and deeper into the wilderness and along the way the sound has a mental effect on them.

Could be a found footage movie.

thanks.

The Blair Witch Project?

Mind you, I've only seen the trailers and not the actual film, so it's very unlikely I got it right...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

johndoe99 wrote: »
    searching for a movie i saw a few years back. I can only remember a few scenes. A group of friends decide to film an expedition to a town, where apparently a century previously several dozens of persons disappeared in the local wilderness.

I can remember that during there expedition the friends start to hear a humming sound and decide to follow it to its source deeper and deeper into the wilderness and along the way the sound has a mental effect on them.

thanks.
    The Blair Witch Project?

Mind you, I've only seen the trailers and not the actual film, so it's very unlikely I got it right...

Don't think it's that, but it sounds incredibly interesting, would also be interested in the name of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

johndoe99 wrote: »

thanks.

Not this is it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1398428/?ref_=wl_li_tt

Advertisement