Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB]Boards Photobook 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

dinneenp wrote: »
    HI,
    Has anyone ever thought of approaching a book store and asking them to stock it?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

How would we pay for the books though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

If I can get a decent photo I'd like to add it to the book too, not sure what I could do to help but if I can I will :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I make books for a living, and I'm happy to help out in any way I can. I may even submit a photo this year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pontecake

I'd definitely like to be involved this year, submitting a photo and helping out where I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Glad to see this back again. Contributed last year and looking forward to doing so again this year. A very nice project and Dineenp's suggestion about stocking it in a book shop is nice if it could be financed somehow.

I think the hardback is definitely the way to go as it makes it last longer. DCC is a good venue too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cork_girl wrote: »
    How would we pay for the books though?

That's a good point.
    I suppose the first thing would be get to know cost price.
    2. If X extra are ordered does this reduce production price?
    3. Would people be interested in 'chipping' in & producing X amount extra
    4. Look into what stores would be interested in stocking it (& what price)
    5. possible to reimburse people who 'chipped' it?

I only had a photo in the book last year. While I liked it, it feels a bit like us getting the book made and just us viewing it.

If the book was available (more easily) to the public then you'd think that a wider audience could be viewing your photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's a laudable idea dinneenp but I don't think it will work.

Having been in the book trade for many years I can tell you that putting the books on the shelf is not the same as selling them - and photography books are notoriously difficult to sell. To persuade someone not involved in the production of the book to buy a collection of unthemed amateur photographs for €30+ is going to be hard. Even trying to sell the book to other members of Boards is difficult. Sales are mainly from the contributors and perhaps a handful of other photography members. Asking people to stump up a wad of cash on the hope that it might sell a few units in a small bookshop is a tad unrealistic.

To get any kind of decent discount on a print run you'll need to start ordering the book in 1000's. Stores will only take the book from you on a sale or return basis and even then they will only take one or two copies from you. That means having to distribute your stock to hundreds of outlets, casting your net far and wide at a huge cost.

For this venture (unless there is a MAJOR marketing move behind the launch) you need to target your sales directly. Talk to other Boardsies/Family/Friends and get them to commit to paying for a copy and only when you have the cash in hand do you order the print run.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

What about a facebook page for the book? I know it would probably generate ALOT of interest in submitting a photo but if it was limited to current boards members only and not those who join just to submit a photo? Or would that be just too messy?

It would reach a lot of people interested in photograph, and possibly drum up sales?

Do the photos submitted to the book set out the particulars used to take the photo i.e. auto appurture/shutter speed settings, or a one liner about the photo? This might be an idea to help with the sales for as some folks might buy with the hope of learning something from the book?

Just my tuppence worth!

kassie wrote: »
    What about a facebook page for the book? I know it would probably generate ALOT of interest in submitting a photo but if it was limited to current boards members only and not those who join just to submit a photo? Or would that be just too messy?

It would reach a lot of people interested in photograph, and possibly drum up sales?

Do the photos submitted to the book set out the particulars used to take the photo i.e. auto appurture/shutter speed settings, or a one liner about the photo? This might be an idea to help with the sales for as some folks might buy with the hope of learning something from the book?

Just my tuppence worth!

We have a Facebook page up and running - http://www.facebook.com/boardsphotobook

Photos have a 1 liner description about them in the book, as much or as little as the person would like to include about the photo :)

• Advertisement

:o:o:o

kassie wrote: »
    :o:o:o

Ah no it's a bad sign that people don't know about these things :) It's good to find out that we need to up our marketing! Always good to get feedback Kassie :D

i've signed up to the facebook page now, i'll spread it around, i have a few on my friends list interested in photography, they might have something to ad!

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's a laudable idea dinneenp but I don't think it will work.

probably true. I was thinking of local, independent bookstores like Charlie Byrnes in Galway where it might be easier to get the book promoted/put on display in a prominent location...

probably true. I was thinking of local, independent bookstores like Charlie Byrnes in Galway where it might be easier to get the book promoted/put on display in a prominent location...

I do really like the idea, but the only thing is that in order to have books to put on a shelf, we need to pay for them up front and we don't have any kind of budget for that unfortunately. If you would like to reach out to shops or anything like that please do - if you need details of previous books to get quotes for printing - happy to give these to you too.

OK guys, enough procrastinating - we need some definite movement!

What we need:
    • A designer/two -
    • 2 project managers - 1. Cork_girl
    • Logistics help - managing books on the night/postage etc.
    • Marketing people/artists, bloggers etc
    • Cupcake bakers
    • Someone to liaise with DCC or new venue for the launch
    • Someone to take ownership of exhibition on the night
    • Help for the launch night

So - please take a job!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

What we need:
    • A designer/two - 1. DarrenG
    • Cupcake bakers

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ceacg

OK guys, enough procrastinating - we need some definite movement!

What we need:
    • A designer/two -
    • 2 project managers - [COLOR="Red"]1. Cork_girl[/COLOR]
    • Cupcake bakers

So - please take a job!!!

Hiya, I could help with logistics, on the night and if you need help with project managing i could help with that. Which ever way I can help you best, I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

*will gladly meet beforehand for some 'brainpicking'
    *will bake and bring "edible stuff"
    *will have two hands available for any help on the night

p.s. don't know all ins and outs and what's involved in the whole process, but can learn along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Waiting on printer here in work to get back to me regarding prices, ill have something by mid next week.

Will help out on the night/Logistics.

I (my wife) would be able to make cupcakes.
    BUT it depends on if I will be able to attend- is there any rough date- what month even?

• Advertisement

I (my wife) would be able to make cupcakes.
    BUT it depends on if I will be able to attend- is there any rough date- what month even?

We need to get a team together before we can plan the launch date - normally it is the 3rd weekend in November I think.. but if we don't have a team to get the book together by the end of September, I'm not sure if it will go ahead :(

We need to get a team together before we can plan the launch date - normally it is the 3rd weekend in November I think.. but if we don't have a team to get the book together by the end of September, I'm not sure if it will go ahead :(

Ok, you can put me down for cupcakes & other food stuff.
    I can do some marketing as well- through my blog, twitter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

DarrenG wrote: »
    What we need:
    • Cupcake bakers

I could at least help on the night and do some more food (if the offers to date aren't enough). Or...are you still looking for the 2nd project manager? ....or is there any other job that needs to be taken? :)

I could at least help on the night and do some more food (if the offers to date aren't enough). Or...are you still looking for the 2nd project manager? ....or is there any other job that needs to be taken? :)

Your name is now on the list :)
    • 2/3 project managers - 1. Cork_girl 2. Ceacg 3. Nebezpeci Mys
    • Logistics help - managing books on the night/postage etc. Jonnykitedude
    • Cupcake bakers - dineenp, picaaf

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

If you want/wish you can put my name down for 'help for the launch night'

:)
    • Help for the launch night picaaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Thank you :) There will be no books for 'delivery' this year as there was in previous years I'm afraid, it'll be either pay for postage or collect on the night.

As suggested elsewhere include postage for everyone in the price

Those who collect on the night still pay it (its a fixed price) and the saving is donated to SSF ?

RoryW wrote: »
    As suggested elsewhere include postage for everyone in the price

Those who collect on the night still pay it (its a fixed price) and the saving is donated to SSF ?

Yes certainly an option, we'll see first if there is enough uptake to go ahead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

How do you submit a photo to the book?

Stephen P wrote: »
    How do you submit a photo to the book?

We will be looking for photos from any member of boards.ie at the end of the month, once the 'team' are set up :) Anyone can submit, on the condition they purchase a copy of the book and all proceeds then go to charity! This year it will be announced when the payments will be accepted and first to pay up are in, there are limited spaces but the only limitation to getting a place is not acting quickly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on the forum :)

We will be looking for photos from any member of boards.ie at the end of the month, once the 'team' are set up :) Anyone can submit, on the condition they purchase a copy of the book and all proceeds then go to charity! This year it will be announced when the payments will be accepted and first to pay up are in, there are limited spaces but the only limitation to getting a place is not acting quickly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

:)

It's unlikely I'll be taking part in BPB this year, however I'm happy to promote it on my photoblog, bookface, twitter and anywhere else I can think of.

dave66 wrote: »
    It's unlikely I'll be taking part in BPB this year, however I'm happy to promote it on my photoblog, bookface, twitter and anywhere else I can think of.

Really appreciate that :) Thank you and I am sorry that you may not be taking part, you know we all want you in it.. ;)

I'm already thinking about the fun part- what photo to submit/include.

Also looking forward to attending this year and (finally) meeting people in the flesh. People should probably wear badges with the boards handle (I hate that word) to prevent the 'who are you again?' question being asked over and over and over. ;-)

Also looking forward to a weekend in Dublin, probably photowalk as well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I'm glad to see that this great project is back up and on the move again. Thanks to Cork_Girl for kicking us back into action.

I'd love to give a dig out, however my skills/time don't allow for marketing & design. I do have big burley muscles so could help out with logistics/distribution/packaging or bouncer on the night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I'm going to give it a go for the first time this year. I followed it for the last two years but only now have gained confidence in my amateur work!!:o

I'm based in West cork so not sure if I can make Launch date, never mind find the venue:D but I'll do my best to help out if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Not often here at the moment, sorry.

But I can again liaise with DCC, no problem.

What do you mean by "take ownership of exhibition"? Taking down what is on the walls in DCC? Or do you think we will have some of the pictures from the book printed to hang on the night?

And assuming I have time on the night I will help whereever necessary again.

Do we need many more for Marketing? A few people said they would advertise on their blogs.
    Last year we were on the radio but I don't think that brought us additional buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

As always I will, try, and be around to help on the day. Some slight chance of me organising an event during the day. (you all know what I am talking about)
    I can't give anymore if a current project takes off.

so what jobs/tasks are still outstanding?

• Advertisement

• Someone to liaise with DCC or new venue for the launch Xia to liaise with DCC
    • Help for the launch night picaaf, Buzz Lightyear

In terms of exhibition on the night - there was a suggestion to have prints done of the images in the book and that would need to be organised from a point of view of physical prints/hanging/mounting etc. IF it was to go ahead.. they could then be sold on the night with a portion going to the Charity.. just a thought.

For marketing - we need someone to take ownership of getting the word out there, organising a press release, help market the book.. all of us in the book with then help get the word out there on our own blogs/twitter/facebook etc. but we need someone dedicated to marketing the book also.

For launch night, DCC have always been really supportive and helpful - but perhaps a differnet venue may be more suitable if we are to have an exhibition/etc?

Logistics also includes managing getting books to people and keeping track of who has what. This year that will be straight forward because we will all be paying for postage up front :) Just keeping track of it on the night and then sending off the ones that are not collected (prepaid for postage).

Any other suggestions? :D

In terms of exhibition on the night - there was a suggestion to have prints done of the images in the book and that would need to be organised from a point of view of physical prints/hanging/mounting etc. IF it was to go ahead.. they could then be sold on the night with a portion going to the Charity.. just a thought.

Any other suggestions? :D

...not sure how good of an idea this is but would it be worth it to actually set up a website/fb or something like that allowing people (be it from boards or general public) to bid on the prints? Or would that be too much hassle? We could display the prints on the launch night and only hand them over afterwards; any 'unsold' ones could be for sale on the night?

If I'm overthinking the whole thing, please, feel free to shoot the idea down... :)

...not sure how good of an idea this is but would it be worth it to actually set up a website/fb or something like that allowing people (be it from boards or general public) to bid on the prints? Or would that be too much hassle? We could display the prints on the launch night and only hand them over afterwards; any 'unsold' ones could be for sale on the night?

If I'm overthinking the whole thing, please, feel free to shoot the idea down... :)

That sounds really good - a bit like the auction that was held for the Ray Club in Trim last year?

I could easily add a Boards prints page on my site. Don't know about auction function though. Could also include the album for sale.
    This is my new buy prints page; I only made it live today, will tweak/fix it this evening http://www.photoblog.ie/buy-print/

The reason I have it up when not 100% perfect is cos I'm going to have a photo of mine in the LA Times travel section (!) so want to have something up.

That sounds really good - a bit like the auction that was held for the Ray Club in Trim last year?

Not sure what was done for the Club (sorry :o). Just remembered that something along those lines happened on pix.ie a few years back. Photos were tagged for auction and whoever wanted a print contacted the tog with their bid; the highest bidder got the print.

I'm not suggesting we should do it the same way as all the pix were scattered over pix.ie but maybe we could set up a new account (if the site T's & C's permit) and upload the pix (small versions only and only if permitted by their authors) there and either let people offer their bids under each photo or provide a contact where they could submit their bid to. Or we might just look into setting up a temporary website that could do the same thing...

Does anybody know (without any lengthy research) if any of this would actually be viable? If not, will do some research and pm project managers with results...?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Not sure what was done for the Club

http://trimprintauction.com/

We sold these prints (and more) and raised over €2,500 for the Ray Club in Trim that was set up by Danny O'Brien (valentia) the week he passed away. Fair bit of work went into it.

• Advertisement

I like in general the idea of both exhibition (that room in DCC is an exhibition room so still could work) and auction. But seeing it's already basically October, you might put yourself under too much extra work in a short period of time doing one or the other not to mention both.

So the main thing missing is now a marketing person? There should be someone around here. No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Ah, you're still on German time I see :D

You mean I am two days ahead of my time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

No, you're two days ahead of my time ;) Vorsprung durch Technik :p

We're kicking this off.. so anyone thinking of submitting a photo - get clicking! :D We will be posting up soon with details of how to submit etc. Watch this space!

• Advertisement
Advertisement