Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

It was today that I finally got around to ordering one of those Walton coins over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 skyknow

I have heard there is a coin fair at the rds in feb, just wondering has anyone any details on it, thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

skyknow wrote: »
    I have heard there is a coin fair at the rds in feb, just wondering has anyone any details on it, thanks

Anglesea Rd. Entrance, Sat & Sun 21-22nd February.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 skyknow

just wondering has anyone got there Proof Ernest Walton Coin in the post yet

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

skyknow wrote: »
    just wondering has anyone got there Proof Ernest Walton Coin in the post yet

I got mine delivered on the 16th, I had ordered over the phone on the 7th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Hi all

I am interested in picking up a gold coin from 2012 - so either the Book of Kells one or the Michael Collins one.

I am looking for it for my daughter who was born that year, and I do realise I would have been better to organise it at the time. I have ordered the a gold/silver 2014 one for my other daughter, but sadly these are no longer on sale from the central bank

Can anyone advise (a) how much these coins are currently trading for and (b) where I might easily pick one up?

Any advice could be most appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Note - if anyone has a 2012 gold coin - either Book of Kells or Michael Collins and is willing to sell it for a small mark-up on original cost, do let me know via a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shelmalier

You should be able to get Michael Collins gold coin on eBay for around €70-€75.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joefoxphoto

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    So in many places they actually throw the packaging away when they receive the coin. I have talked to several people who have sold coins to foreign buyers who have been asked to just send the coin, don't bother with the packaging.

Does anyone have any of the cases/boxes they have spare they are willing to sell or know where to source the empty packaging (Dame St?)
    I've a couple of coins Id like to give away as presents that don't have the packaging and would save me butchering my own collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MICHAELO_4921

DMcL1971 are your lists available in excel or some format like that? So I could see what I have what I need to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

DMcL1971 are your lists available in excel or some format like that? So I could see what I have what I need to get.

I've started to put them in excel but its a slow process.

hexosan wrote: »
    I've started to put them in excel but its a slow process.

If DMcL1971 dose not mind I could try to see if can copy & paste it into Excel sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Sorry guys, my broadband has been down all afternoon, so I have only just got your messages. If any one wants an Excel copy just send me a PM with your E-Mail address and I'll send it on to you.

Sorry guys, my broadband has been down all afternoon, so I have only just got your messages. If any one wants an Excel copy just send me a PM with your E-Mail address and I'll send it on to you.

The Excel file I have has all the info from the three tables at the start of this thread plus a lot of extra columns containing more info. It also has lists of all the Decimal coins (1971-2000), Free state coins (1928-1969) and all the two Euro Commemoratives (2002-Now).

PM sent DMcL1971 thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Wish I'd known the above (or asked you) before I started to compile my own excel sheet. PM on the way.
    Thanks again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

The 2015 €15 Silver Proof WB Yeats Coin will be launched on 3 June 2015. The issue limit is 8,000 units. The coin, struck to proof quality in sterling .925 silver, weighs 28.28g and has a diameter of 38.61 mm. Price €44.

346468.jpg

A new coin at last. I'm not very excited about it but I'll have to get it for the collection.

This year is turning out to be a slow one for collecting. Still no news on a release date for the 2 Euro Common Commemorative for the 30th Anniversary of the European Flag or on whether Ireland will release a collector set or a proof set. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

They will be a while yet. Still haven't picked the design.

Have your say :)
    http://www.coin-competition.eu/

Gun_money wrote: »
    They will be a while yet. Still haven't picked the design.

Have your say :)
    http://www.coin-competition.eu/

And the winner is...

350280.jpg

It's the one I had picked, so good choice I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Did anyone pick up the wb yeats coin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up the wb yeats coin yet?

I got one at the Central Bank today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Cool, what do you think of it? I ordered one over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Cool, what do you think of it? I ordered one over the phone

I think it looks very nice in the metal. I was in two minds about whether to get this but I'm glad I did. Also, I think it's fitting that WB Yeats played a part in choosing the designs for the first coins of the Irish Free State. (I like to find links and themes between the coins I have collected :))

The case is the same grey colour as the Jack B Yeats coin from 2012, so the two coins for the two brothers compliment each other quite well.

I have received two WB Yeats coins in the post this morning. On checking the coins I have noticed that both coins have black marks on the back & side of the coins. As well as some dry liquid marks on the coins. Has anyone else noticed this on there coins. Would they still be classed as proof coins in years to come with theses marks?

I have received two WB Yeats coins in the post this morning. On checking the coins I have noticed that both coins have black marks on the back & side of the coins. As well as some dry liquid marks on the coins. Has anyone else noticed this on there coins. Would they still be classed as proof coins in years to come with theses marks?

No, they'll be classed as 'Impaired Proofs' with a significantly lower value. So you might want to try and get them replaced. It's kinda worrying that you have the same problem on both coins, means there may well be problems with many others.

Thanks Blade. I have made contact with the central bank. They are going to find out what to do & will ring me back later. Both coins are in sequences & are in the 500's.

Thanks Blade. I have made contact with the central bank. They are going to find out what to do & will ring me back later. Both coins are in sequences & are in the 500's.

If you like the low cert numbers you could chance your arm and ask them could you keep the two certs and send you out new coins without them. Actually the easiest thing would be if you could go into the CB on Dame St. and get them replaced and swap the certs around. Can't see them having a problem with that.

• Advertisement

Coins were replaced by CB & they refunded the cost of return postage. New cons & certs are in the 80's in sequences.

Advertisement