Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Thanks to DMcL1971 and someone on adverts.ie, I managed to get the €10 special Olympics silver coin and the Samuel Beckett double set added to my collection.
    My collection is almost complete with just the Antarctica set missing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shelmalier

Can anyone explain why sometimes I see CB commemorative coins being sold in their capsules but not with their original cases and outers. I see them on ebay or in catawiki auctions. Why would the coin ever become separated from the presentation packaging? I presume selling them in capsules without original
    packaging reduces their value? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

This is a cultural thing. In Ireland we like to keep all the original packaging and certificates, in other countries they are only interested in the coins themselves and don't care about the packaging.

The two main reasons for this are shipping and presentation.

It is a hell of a lot cheaper to post just a coin in a capsule to someone than it is to post a large prsentatin box. So it makes buying and selling a lot easier.

It makes it a lot easier to store and display your collection if you can take every coin that you have, regardless of diameter, and put them all into standard a display systems. You will often see these coins sold in the 50mm square 'Quadrum' capsules. These capsules can hold any diameter coin up to 50mm but are all the exact same dimension for display or storage purposes.

So in many places they actually throw the packaging away when they receive the coin. I have talked to several people who have sold coins to foreign buyers who have been asked to just send the coin, don't bother with the packaging.

It does make sense in that my coin collection consists of dozens of different sized and coloured cardboard boxes sitting on a shelf. When someone wants to look at you collection it just looks like a pile of boxes. If I used the Quadrum system I would be able to display all the coins in a nice, easily accessible and presentable way.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Personally, I like the 'hodge podge' effect of displaying all of the coins in their own individual cases, it lends each coin(s) a sense of individuality - for me, if i were to store in a Quadrum system, everything would just be too uniform

Thanks DMcL1971. It's interesting. Apart from the look and presentation of each coin it must also affect the coins value somewhat? For instance I wouldn't buy a CB coin on ebay, adverts.ie or anywhere else without the complete boxes so any seller is losing me as a customer and my guess is that there are others who feel the same way. Somehow the presentation and packaging are integral to the coin and its provenance but maybe that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 dublinrichie

hello all just enquiring does anybody know the current value on the gaisce the president coin set and would there be much interest in it
    its in its original box with coa in perfect condition
    thanks in advance
    richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone ever come across the 2007 & 2008 baby sets both the pink & blue. I've been looking for sometime and haven't came across them yet.

hello all just enquiring does anybody know the current value on the gaisce the president coin set and would there be much interest in it
    its in its original box with coa in perfect condition
    thanks in advance
    richie

Id say maybe €110

hexosan wrote: »
    Anyone ever come across the 2007 & 2008 baby sets both the pink & blue. I've been looking for sometime and haven't came across them yet.

I have been trying to collect all the baby sets for four years now, they are an absolute pain to find. They never sold well. Of the ones that did sell most were used (Written on) and because they were so incredibly flimsy they were easily damaged. I have only ever seen one or two that had not been flattened or crushed in some way. In the last four years I have found that. The 2006 baby sets are relatively easy to get. The 2007 sets rarely come up. I have only seen the 2008 sets for sale once. I have never seen the 2009 sets anywhere.

There were two sellers at the fair yesterday who had 2006 sets but none of the other years.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I have been trying to collect all the baby sets for four years now, they are an absolute pain to find. They never sold well. Of the ones that did sell most were used (Written on) and because they were so incredibly flimsy they were easily damaged. I have only ever seen one or two that had not been flattened or crushed in some way. In the last four years I have found that. The 2006 baby sets are relatively easy to get. The 2007 sets rarely come up. I have only seen the 2008 sets for sale once. I have never seen the 2009 sets anywhere.

There were two sellers at the fair yesterday who had 2006 sets but none of the other years.

Yeah the 2006 sets were still on sale with an post at the GPO up to last year. They had the boy 2007 set which I got but it came flattened and ripped in the post. I returned it for a replacement but it was the last they had. I seen the 2006 sets at the fair.

• Advertisement

Anyone know the current value of the 2008 Antarctic Explorer double coin set (€100 gold coin and the €5 silver coin,1000 issued) ?

Thanks.

There were two dealers selling these at the coin fair yesterday both were looking for €1000.

Anybody know if the 3 coin set is still available at the fair? Thanks

Shelmalier wrote: »
    Anybody know if the 3 coin set is still available at the fair? Thanks

There is an allocation for sale per day. So, todays lot might be sold by now. But there will be more available tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 skyknow

any idea on what coins the central bank are releasing for 2015

skyknow wrote: »
    any idea on what coins the central bank are releasing for 2015

I have only heard about two coins so far. The second coin in the Science and Invention series will be dedicated to Ernest Walton. There will also be a coin commemorating 70 years of peace in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 skyknow

I have only heard about two coins so far. The second coin in the Science and Invention series will be dedicated to Ernest Walton. There will also be a coin commemorating 70 years of peace in Europe.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

I think they are planning a 2€ commemorative - 100 years, 1916 Easter Rising

signostic wrote: »
    I think they are planning a 2€ commemorative - 100 years, 1916 Easter Rising

That is correct but that will be in 2016. They will probably release a proof set that year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

According to the several sites, there will be once again a common issue of commemorative coins in June 2015. This time it will commemorate the 30 years of the European flag.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Gun_money wrote: »
    According to the several sites, there will be once again a common issue of commemorative coins in June 2015. This time it will commemorate the 30 years of the European flag.

Saw that too just now. No pictures of it yet though. I suppose we can expect a 9 coin proof set too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

An Island Nation - Marine Flora and Fauna

Scheduled for release in early January 2015, price €25.00

331340.jpg

EDIT: Just received a Hi-Res image of this set, see attachment below.

The 2015 €15 Silver Proof Ernest Walton Coin will be launched on 13 January 2015. The issue limit is 6,000 units. The coin, struck to proof quality in sterling .925silver, weighs 28.28g and has a diameter of 38.61 mm. Price €44.

See attached pdf file for more information.

331573.jpg

"The first issue in our collector coin series will be a €15 silver proof coin honouring Ireland’s only winner of a Nobel Prize in Physics, Ernest Walton. This coin will be launched on the 13th January 2015. The second will follow in June with another €15 silver proof coin commemorating the 150th anniversary of the birth of the great Irish poet, W.B. Yeats. The third and last collector coin issue will be launched in September 2015 and continues our participation in the European Silver Programme marking the 70th anniversary of the end of the Second World War."

I really like the look of the Ernest Walton coin, it is a nice clean simple design.

This is a lot of coin news in only a few days!

Interestingly, the three coins listed are all silver coins, there is no mention of any gold coins or double sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

that ernest walton coin does look nice :)

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Blade wrote: »
    "The first issue in our collector coin series will be a €15 silver proof coin honouring Ireland’s only winner of a Nobel Prize in Physics, Ernest Walton. This coin will be launched on the 13th January 2015. The second will follow in June with another €15 silver proof coin commemorating the 150th anniversary of the birth of the great Irish poet, W.B. Yeats. The third and last collector coin issue will be launched in September 2015 and continues our participation in the European Silver Programme marking the 70th anniversary of the end of the Second World War."

Available to order now, info has been added to the Central Bank website, along with the 2015 Mint set. The Ernest Walton coin is €44, the mint set the regular €25

Has anyone received a mailing of the brochure and order form from the Central Bank yet? The 2015 set is already on sale and the Walton coin comes out on Tuesday and I haven't received anything yet.

Has anyone received a mailing of the brochure and order form from the Central Bank yet? The 2015 set is already on sale and the Walton coin comes out on Tuesday and I haven't received anything yet.

It arrived in the post this morning.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

yep same here

Advertisement