Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Gaeltacht Course

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fooster King

d1234 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I attended Coláiste na bhFiann in Rath Cairn 2 years ago. I would highly recommend it for your son as he will he immersed in Irish for the entire 3 weeks. It is an intense course but at the same time it is very enjoyable and I made so many new friends.

A typical day would be: 4 classes from 9:30 to 1pm. Lunch for an hour and then activities for an hour at two - usually there are music groups, art groups, sport groups etc. etc. Then following this there is an hour of sport comprising of various sports - usually four or five types. A group activity would usually be at the end before getting an evening meal. The students then change and come back to the college for evening activities including themed ceilis etc. Don't worry too much about the ceilis - you don't have to be Michael Flatley!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and both the accommodation and native people are lovely. I learned so much Irish and although it was a little expensive, it was definitely worth it compared paying half the price for noting more than a holiday!

Good luck and feel free to pm me any questions!

Great summary - sounds exactly like what he's looking for. Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 20 coolshoes47

My kids went to a gaelscoil, and have decent Irish, but I don't want them to lose it. One of them is at the Gaeltacht at the moment and is bored rigid - speaking Irish isn't been enforced, and she hasn't learned anything (apart from smugairle róin!) Any suggestions for where to send them next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hopefulnow3

Hi everyone,

I've a 16y old son in TY who had a stroke as a baby which blew out his speech and language centres. He'd love to be able to have the same kind of life experiences that I did; Colaiste Laichtin, loved it. Does anyone know a kind, SEN friendly Gaeltacht that we could try? No ASD but his language skills are a struggle even with Bearla and he's exempt from Gaelige in School so misses out on the whole background and fun. If there's somewhere with a few activities who might consider him it'd be great. I asked this question too in Gaelige thread but if anyone thinks I should add it to a different thread all advice welcome

Tx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I have no personal experience of it, but perhaps Coláiste Uisce might be worth contacting? The emphasis is on learning Irish through water-based activities.

Advertisement