Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dr_funk

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Got up today to find the box had changed time automatically, the epg had the correct time and info but the display clock was on old time. A restart of Enigma then gave an error that a timer had changed time. It took a full cold boot to sort it. Be sure you all give yours a full cold boot or you may have errors and not notice.

That explains what happened to me last night! I had the same thing - correct time on the EPG, old time on the LCD clock. I rebooted the box and thought all was well, but then last night a 1 hour recording timer turned into a 2 hour timer, and the box crashed when I tried to exit.

Had to do a cold boot and lost the recording...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Planning to buy the golden media triplex this month, does the hdmu image work with scart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Planning to buy the golden media triplex this month, does the hdmu image work with scart?
    Yes ,it does .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

got tuner working wahey! thanks bappelbe, manual scan at 8 done the trick,

cool tv guide is not in the plugin download section, i have downloaded latest for other thread, when i ftp'd to root of box as described, couldnt find it,

am i doing something wrong

TIA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

phobia2011 wrote: »
    got tuner working wahey! thanks bappelbe, manual scan at 8 done the trick,

cool tv guide is not in the plugin download section, i have downloaded latest for other thread, when i ftp'd to root of box as described, couldnt find it,

am i doing something wrong

TIA?

When you go to the Plugins section, press green and then go to Media and you should see cooltv in there to download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Has anybody had a problem with they fastforward a recording and when you go to play the recording goes off and you are brought back into the list of recordings you have?

I was testing out recording some shows over the weekend by
    1. Pressing Rec and then choosing the option to "Record until end of current programme"
    2. Setting shows to record by using the timer.

After these shows had recorded i hit the play button which brought me into USB directory and my list of recorded shows was there.

I played each of them but each time I fast forwarded (just to make sure the button worked) and then hit play the recording would go off and then I would be brought back into the list of shows I had recorded.

Also is there a way so that when you hit the EPG button it can default to the cool tv EPG listing?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

gazzer wrote: »
    Has anybody had a problem with they fastforward a recording and when you go to play the recording goes off and you are brought back into the list of recordings you have?

I was testing out recording some shows over the weekend by
    1. Pressing Rec and then choosing the option to "Record until end of current programme"
    2. Setting shows to record by using the timer.

After these shows had recorded i hit the play button which brought me into USB directory and my list of recorded shows was there.

I played each of them but each time I fast forwarded (just to make sure the button worked) and then hit play the recording would go off and then I would be brought back into the list of shows I had recorded.

Also is there a way so that when you hit the EPG button it can default to the cool tv EPG listing?

Thanks

Works fine for me, hit >> once it goes 2x speed, hit it twice 4x, three times 8x etc, hit play then it plays again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Works fine for me, hit >> once it goes 2x speed, hit it twice 4x, three times 8x etc, hit play then it plays again

I was able to go through the speed increases (x2, x4, x8 etc) but when I hit play the recording turned off.

Might just be my fat fingers as I find the remote a bit unpredictable. Sometimes I have to really hit the button to get response on the receiver, whereas other times I only have to lightly hit the button to get a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

gazzer wrote: »
    I was able to go through the speed increases (x2, x4, x8 etc) but when I hit play the recording turned off.

Might just be my fat fingers as I find the remote a bit unpredictable. Sometimes I have to really hit the button to get response on the receiver, whereas other times I only have to lightly hit the button to get a response.
    Only thing I found is when you play a file and immediately try to fast forward, it gets a bit contrary. Letting it play for a few secs first, then FF works fine.
    As for the remote, it must be pointing right at the box. It seems the sensor in the box is not great. It's not the remote as I found another device reacts to it even in a different direction.

• Advertisement

As for the remote, it must be pointing right at the box. It seems the sensor in the box is not great. It's not the remote as I found another device reacts to it even in a different direction.
    IR sensor is definitely poor,I've seen it mentioned on a few other forums .

I've noticed that switching the terrestrial channels is sluggish when using the Pli HD skin ,no such issues with the default or modernpli skin.

With regard to the remote, can an alternative remote be used or would a magic eye or the like help!

With regard to the remote, can an alternative remote be used or would a magic eye or the like help!

No chance. Amiko do another box called the HDMini, it comes with an IR receiver (eye) as it's a tiny sat box that sticks to the back of the TV. I have one in the kitchen. There is no way to connect this IR eye to the Alien2, it does not have the connector socket.

What button on the remote brings up recorded programmes ?
    Do u have to press menu /HDMU Media Player /My videos or is there a shortcut without using Multiquickbutton?

Zardoz wrote: »
    What button on the remote brings up recorded programmes ?
    Do u have to press menu /HDMU Media Player /My videos or is there a shortcut without using Multiquickbutton?

Play

Play
    Thanks ,handy .

• Advertisement

So can anything be done about sensor on box?

So can anything be done about sensor on box?

Don't think so.

I have found out elsewhere how to make an installable backup of Enigma2 in flashable e2jffs2.img and uimage enigma files. You can do it in Spark with a different Enigma2 update plugin available here. Reboot to Spark, install the plugins (read readme) and reboot, then when you run this one you have an option to either install or backup Enigma2 by pressing green.

Don't think so.

I have found out elsewhere how to make an installable backup of Enigma2 in flashable e2jffs2.img and uimage enigma files. You can do it in Spark with a different Enigma2 update plugin available here. Reboot to Spark, install the plugins (read readme) and reboot, then when you run this one you have an option to either install or backup Enigma2 by pressing green.
    Nice one,thats a very handy function.
    I use Tspanel to backup my images on Dreamboxes,great for trying out new images .

how do i turn off audio description? channels are being narrated over?

how do i turn off audio description? channels are being narrated over?

Press yellow and select the other audio. There is also options in menu-->system->auto language selection, set it to English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Has anyone one tried a different remote with these or is it defo the sensor thats crap?

The Logitech Harmony remotes work with the Alien 2 according to their website.

I got a Harmony today and it works much better the the standard remotes on most of my AV equipment

superg wrote: »
    Has anyone one tried a different remote with these or is it defo the sensor thats crap?

The Logitech Harmony remotes work with the Alien 2 according to their website.

I got a Harmony today and it works much better the the standard remotes on most of my AV equipment

Which harmony did you buy? Been thinking about investing in one

Which harmony did you buy? Been thinking about investing in one

I got a Harmony 300 on Amazon for 28 quid delivered. It's very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

superg wrote: »
    I got a Harmony 300 on Amazon for 28 quid delivered. It's very good.

Very good with this box or just in general?

In general. I don't have this box yet. Some of my original remotes are piss poor with their device's but this one is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭mustang68

I have a harmony 895 and it works fine, however, the ir receiver on the box is terrible, it is the only equipment I have that I have to face the harmony directly at.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lafpat

The Clock on the front LCD is showing the wrong time but cooltv guide on epg is showing the correct time, where can I change the LCD Clock in setup have tried but cannot find it.

lafpat wrote: »
    The Clock on the front LCD is showing the wrong time but cooltv guide on epg is showing the correct time, where can I change the LCD Clock in setup have tried but cannot find it.

You set the time in menu-->setup-->system-->Time zone but most likely you just need a cold boot since the time change. I've already reported this issue here if you'd been following

Yes I have been following your thread about this, but when I go into Setup/Timezone all it says is Timezone but no other way to change hours minutes etc.

Yes I have been following your thread about this, but when I go into Setup/Timezone all it says is Timezone but no other way to change hours minutes etc.

Did you do a cold boot? This info is pulled in from the satellite

• Advertisement

Yes did cold reboot and LCD screen display is showing 00.03 at the moment

Yes did cold reboot and LCD screen display is showing 00.03 at the moment

Are you connected to the net, if you're not, connect it as it could be using ntp to update time.

Yes connected to net with ethernet cable

Yes connected to net with ethernet cable

Hmm, I'm sure i saw clock options somewhere in the settings, I'll have a check when i get back home

Thanks for that, still is the best Box out there at the moment very impressed with what this can do and picture quality is second to none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

yes, have to agree, picture quality is top notch.

Thanks for that, still is the best Box out there at the moment very impressed with what this can do and picture quality is second to none

In HDMU Centre-->VFD control you can turn off the clock in standby, try turning it off, rebooting then enabling it again. If that fails telnet in and run date -s YYYY.MM.DD-hh:mm:ss

Will try what you said but one question how to I run date -s YYYY.MM.DD-hh:mm:ss

Will try what you said but one question how to I run date -s YYYY.MM.DD-hh:mm:ss

Use putty to telnet into the box

• Advertisement

Ok ran telnet and typed in date do I reboot box for date to come up on LCD

Ok ran telnet and typed in date do I reboot box for date to come up on LCD

Try it, I'm out of ides at this stage.

Did you try disabling and re-enabling the VFD setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Is there a way to lower the video quality when streaming to a laptop/PC? I'm having a few buffering issues so would like to lower the bit rate.

Will try it later have a recording going at the moment let you know if it works thanks again for all your expertise on this Box, your a Legend in my eyes for all the guides you have posted up. Regards

Digidol wrote: »
    Is there a way to lower the video quality when streaming to a laptop/PC? I'm having a few buffering issues so would like to lower the bit rate.

No, but I've measured it, HD will be 22-30mbit, SD is only 3mbit. You'll need a very decent "N" wireless router (plus decent card in receiving device and a decent signal) to maintain HD. SD should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

...thanks again for all your expertise on this Box, your a Legend in my eyes for all the guides you have posted up. Regards

+1 on that Pog, your hard work is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

once i have downloaded coolepg from plugins, do i then ftp the download from the firmware thread, epg not really working for me,

TIA

once i have downloaded coolepg from plugins, do i then ftp the download from the firmware thread, epg not really working for me,

TIA

Coolepg? Crossepg you mean, it's in plugins when you press green, no need to FTP at all.

meant to say cool tv guide, does the version on the firmware thread need to be downloaded to root of box?

meant to say cool tv guide, does the version on the firmware thread need to be downloaded to root of box?

No, the one in plugins in the latest HDMU is the same.

mine seems to mostly be blank, sometimes fta channels are populated but other channels are blank?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement