Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Called Claddagh Oil who quoted €450. I tried for €425 but said they'd have to talk to "the boss".

Ran out this morning so really needed it today. Saw Top.ie with Eflow2011 code was €440. Rang them to ensure it would be delievered today and it was €445.

Ah well.

Doh! Got a call back and they offered it for €420! could have saved €25. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I refused to give them business recently as they had the "if you do better elsewhere, call back" line. They either have a price for me or they dont. I went with the best initial quote which was 30 euro less than Claddagh oil anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Just checked Cheapest Oil for 500 litres

€434.50 Jones Oil
    €440.82 Top with Eflow2011 code
    €444 Sutton Oil
    €445 Corrib Oil
    €445 Texoil
    €445 Cosyhome heating

Anyone get cheaper by ringing up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I can never trust that they'll fill the quantity you pay for, especially after haggling down the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

Just checked Cheapest Oil for 500 litres

€434.50 Jones Oil
    €440.82 Top with Eflow2011 code
    €444 Sutton Oil
    €445 Corrib Oil
    €445 Texoil
    €445 Cosyhome heating

Anyone get cheaper by ringing up?

got cosyhome heating @ E430 yesterday
    foto joe wrote: »
    I can never trust that they'll fill the quantity you pay for, especially after haggling down the price!
    you should receive a digital print out of what you were given. These cannot be tampered with, so give percise measurements. If you still don't trust them you can buy measuring sticks for oil tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

foto joe wrote: »

Good advice, to be filed under B for Buyer Beware.

This is why I always get a Per Litre quote, even though I often have to ask them twice for it when on the phone.

In the past I have ordered 500 litres at an agreed price per litre, only to have them leave me several litres short and then try to charge me the full cost of 500 litres. When that happened I simply paid for the amount actually delivered, at the original quoted Per Litre price. They queried it, but hadn't a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some spam and follow-up posts removed. The company is already mentioned in this thread by an established poster so no-one is missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

Corib oil ************** 865 (1000L) ********* 445 (500L) https://www.corriboil.com/modules/Co...aspx?TreeID=68
    Top Oil **************** 855 (1000L) *** 440.10 (500L) https://www.top.ie/OrderOil.aspx
    Texoil ****************** 865 (1000) ********* 445 (500) http://www.texoil.ie/Galway/
    City Bin ************** 835 (1000) ********* 432.50(500) http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php...customer-order
    Jones Oil ************ 849 (1000) ********** 429.5 (500) https://www.jonesoil.ie/order-online/
    Suttons Oil ******** 865 (1000) ********* 441.50 (500) http://www.suttonsoil.ie/

I'll go with citybin because they can deliver tomorrow.
    Happy Christmas!!!

Anyone get oil recently? It's barely been 6 weeks and we've burned through our 500l. Seems hard to believe considering the mild weather. Anyhow, time to go shopping again. What prices have ye paid recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

You must have it on morning noon and night if it's gone in 6 weeks. 500 litres should last 3 or 4 months. Has it been robbed? Make sure you have a lock on it at least to deter them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

@newkie

When did you last have your boiler serviced? We found it makes a huge difference in oil consumption.
    We got 500 l at the end of October and will have to top up next week! 4/5 bed semi-d with converted attic.

@newkie

When did you last have your boiler serviced? We found it makes a huge difference in oil consumption.
    We got 500 l at the end of October and will have to top up next week! 4/5 bed semi-d with converted attic.

Good tip! Actually had it serviced during the summer. It had never been serviced before and he told us he thought it would save us at least 1 fill a year in efficiency. It's possible its not as low as I think it is. It is fenced and requires a ladder just to peer in the top. Can be a bit hard to judge... usually I know when the house is cold and the boiler has run dry. I'm thinking of getting one of those Watchman Sonar gadgets to get a better idea the real level and stop me having to bleed the boiler after every fill.

All that said, even if there's a bit more left than I thought, I might top up. No harm. Seems .87 or .88 / liter is going rate. Anyone do better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I didn't do better - We paid €450 for 500l today with Naughton Oil . (so .90/litre)

Sniipe wrote: »
    I didn't do better - We paid €450 for 500l today with Naughton Oil . (so .90/litre)

Just got a price from Corrib on 1000l for .86/litre; Top (with Eflow2011) came out to .865/litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

I rang all the oil companies that serve Galway City today.

The cheapest deal for 500 litres of kerosene (home heating) oil was €448 (The Oil Company).

The cheapest deal for 1000 litres of kerosene was €865 (Mc Mahon's were initially the lowest at €870, but then I haggled with Corrib Oil who initially quoted €875 and then reduced to €865).

I consistently find exactly a €30 euro difference between the cheapest and the dearest quote for 1000 litres. By ringing around all the oil companies, one can potentially save €30 each time. Multiply €30 euro by 10 years, assuming just one very modest 1000 litres of oil per annum, and you have the price of two I-Pods or one 32 inch LCD telly. So it's worth ringing around.

The dearest 500 litres of kerosene today was €480 (Corrib Oil) and the dearest 1000 litres was €895 (Suttons).

I found the best service and willingness to do business today from Corrib Oil and The Oil Company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Got a txt from TEXOIL:-

Valentines special offer 250 Litres home heating oil for €235, Order before 5pm on the 14th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

paulgalway wrote: »
    Got a txt from TEXOIL:-

Valentines special offer 250 Litres home heating oil for €235, Order before 5pm on the 14th.
    Just to let you know that I heard from some friends that some oil delivery drivers cheating when putting oil to the tank.

I mean they write 200 litres on invoice but in tank is much less.

Did you heard about this?

fAzI wrote: »
    Just to let you know that I heard from some friends that some oil delivery drivers cheating when putting oil to the tank.

I mean they write 200 litres on invoice but in tank is much less.

Did you heard about this?

Dealt with 2 or 3 different companies over the years and never got a hand written invoice.

The invoice has the lorry's meter reading at the start and end.

The meters are independently verified.

• Advertisement

Don't buy your oil from the dodgy fella with the white van and you'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

paulgalway wrote: »
    Dealt with 2 or 3 different companies over the years and never got a hand written invoice.

The invoice has the lorry's meter reading at the start and end.

The meters are independently verified.

you can cheating lorry's meter reading as well. it's so easy.

fAzI wrote: »
    you can cheating lorry's meter reading as well. it's so easy.

So, how can you ensure you are not getting cheated?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

all oil companies have measuring sticks that you can use to check the levels of oil in the drum. The next time your order oil just ask for one, most companies give them out for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

all oil companies have measuring sticks that you can use to check the levels of oil in the drum. The next time your order oil just ask for one, most companies give them out for free.

As you say make sure you ask when you order as most drivers wouldn't necessary carry them with them.

Anyways they are no better than using an old broom stick as each oil company would only have one generic stick and as each tank is a different size/shape it wont tell you what is in it, you will need to do the maths yourself.

For convenience you really cant beat the measure below, but its difficult to fit so only really worth it if you buy a new tank. Once its fitted you can monitor your volume without any messing with a ladder/smelly measure.

This is what I use.

http://oiltankmonitor.com/default.aspx

Very handy. I have it plugged into a socket on a wall in the kitchen nearest the oil tank. No problems so far.

apollo_standard_white.png

• Advertisement

Just haggled a wee bit with Texoil and they matched Top Oil's online price (using promotional code) of €448 for 500 litres of kerosene HHO. Texoil said the price is good value, and I believe them.

The Oil Company said they'd phone back but haven't done so yet. I hope for my sake they're not significantly cheaper...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    apollo_standard_white.png
    How hard is it to install these on older tanks that aren't pre-drilled? I'd imagine it would be a serious pain to drill a tank which is in-use.

Can't help you there, sorry.

Try asking the manufacturer, perhaps? Of the tank, or the Apollo...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

Was going to order some oil tonight but was shocked at the prices 98.5cent from city bin 98cent from corrib oil and 100.25 cent from top. That's the guts of euro1000 to fill the tank. Other than the vat increase did I miss something major that caused this big jump in price?

Muppet2006 wrote: »
    Was going to order some oil tonight but was shocked at the prices 98.5cent from city bin 98cent from corrib oil and 100.25 cent from top. That's the guts of euro1000 to fill the tank. Other than the vat increase did I miss something major that caused this big jump in price?

I guess you haven't heard oil prices are simply on the increase.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17094275

The VAT hike is in June I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was going to order some oil tonight but was shocked at the prices 98.5cent from city bin 98cent from corrib oil and 100.25 cent from top. That's the guts of euro1000 to fill the tank.

The more you buy, the more price per litre decreases. How little were you going to purchase?
    There's a carbon levy increase due on 1 May. This will add another €14-€15 to the cost of 1000l of kerosene.

newkie wrote: »

I guess you haven't heard oil prices are simply on the increase.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17094275

The VAT hike is in June I think.

That's kind of my point. They're just simply increasing. There are various small things being used to drive up prices. We're in a recession, you'd expect the price to drop or at least stabilise.

I'm pretty sure the vat went to 23% on the 1st January.

That's kind of my point. They're just simply increasing. There are various small things being used to drive up prices.
    We're in a recession, you'd expect the price to drop or at least stabilise.

Why :confused:

23% Vat does not apply to kerosene

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's kind of my point. They're just simply increasing. There are various small things being used to drive up prices.
    We're in a recession, you'd expect the price to drop or at least stabilise.

Why :confused:

23% Vat does not apply to kerosene

You're right. So vat has nothing to do with it. Just pure greed by the oil companies.

You're right. So vat has nothing to do with it. Just pure greed by the oil companies.

Really?
    I did not realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/515/deals/278890-full-boiler-service

Living Social have a special offer today of a boiler service for €29. Not exactly on topic but we have discussed how servicing can help efficient use of oil so it might be worth a look for someone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 intermittent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dolly Jones

4 of my neighbours and myself have gone together 3 times now to price & buy oil, the best price we got was from a local company called The Oil Company and they also give us a call every 6 months or so to check if we are OK

Can you give a rough idea of the discount you got on the normal price?
    Don't be too specific!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭jkforde

any latest prices? got a quote for 500l for €454 from Cosyhomeheating.ie, any better than that in the last few days? ta

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From my experiences in Galway - Home heating oil is on its way back up after taking a brief dip :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

jkforde wrote: »
    any latest prices? got a quote for 500l for €454 from Cosyhomeheating.ie, any better than that in the last few days? ta
    No - Texoil quoted me €465 for 500lts yesterday but got it for €460

• Registered Users Posts: 8 inger

So, anyone know which oil company does the lowest minimal delivery, in Galway city?
    I think Corrib does 150Euro, but I think I heard some other crowd doing 100 - just don't remember which one.

Thanks for the tips on takeaway oil from Texaco or Corrib, however I'd prefer home delivery than messing with drums.
    But if that's the only option - is it easy to take home 50 liters in a small car, and fill up the tank? Do I need to buy a drum and a hose to or can I borrow those? (I'm pretty sure i need them only once)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Corrib sell 25L drums in the depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

It already comes in drums , you don't need funnel,hose etc. Just unscrew your cap and pour in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

inger wrote: »
    So, anyone know which oil company does the lowest minimal delivery, in Galway city?
    I think Corrib does 150Euro, but I think I heard some other crowd doing 100 - just don't remember which one.

Thanks for the tips on takeaway oil from Texaco or Corrib, however I'd prefer home delivery than messing with drums.
    But if that's the only option - is it easy to take home 50 liters in a small car, and fill up the tank? Do I need to buy a drum and a hose to or can I borrow those? (I'm pretty sure i need them only once)
    Topaz Silver Strand have 25 litre cans for sale. You won't need any hoses or that (but a good siphon is always handy to have) with a 25l can, just take your time and you should get away with a butchered plastic drinks bottle (bigger the better) as a funnel.

Cheers everyone for the tips. Silvestrand is 5 mins from here so will be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Here's a little tip for anyone wanting to pour from a 25litre drum into a bigger tank feeding a boiler.
    1.get something stable to stand on if necessary
    2.a big plastic drink container with the bottom cut off makes a handy funnel. It may not be any wider than the mouth of the tank, but raising it up can be handy.
    3. Are you strong enough to hold a 25l drum of diesel at shoulder height for 2-3 minutes?
    4.hold the drom with the hole at the top when pouring, this helps prevent airlock/splashes
    5.or you could siphon it.

Thanks bonzodog2, that's really useful.

BTW, I'm actually looking for kerosene - can I get that at the places mentioned?
    Or, won't diesel damage the burner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Corrib Oil on the Tuam Rd should have kerosene. I don't think diesel will damage a kero burner, but may not run well on it.

Advertisement