Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Tegra K1 chip - Will you Buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 benjclyde

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Sky Go android app works on the Shield Tablet? Looking to get an 8 inch tab and trying to weigh up the pros and cons for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

I have the Nvidia Shield portable - and the Sky Go app isn't supported on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Are there any alternatives to the official controller? Could you use something like a PS3 joypad via blutooth? Also for those that have one, how well does it play with emulators? The idea of having a portable device that I can play on the go and then connect to my TV and pick up where I left off is a big selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Are there any alternatives to the official controller? Could you use something like a PS3 joypad via blutooth? Also for those that have one, how well does it play with emulators? The idea of having a portable device that I can play on the go and then connect to my TV and pick up where I left off is a big selling point.

I've used an xbox 360 pad connected to the shield portable, while its connected to the TV. works perfectly.

slightly related - I did a youtube video awhile back on the portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

benjclyde wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if the Sky Go android app works on the Shield Tablet? Looking to get an 8 inch tab and trying to weigh up the pros and cons for them all.

Yes and no, in that Yes it will install fine however when you run it, it offers a link with info saying that maybe you should not have have upgraded just yet to android 5.0... soooo i guess its a no then.. not just yet anyay

More info here:

http://help.sky.com/articles/using-sky-go-on-an-android-device?country=ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

I've ordered the 32GB LTE version, should have it in the next couple of days. Just a question for anyone with the LTE version - what mobile provider is best for data PAYG packages. I wouldn't be using it a whole lot away from wifi but would like the option.

Should have mine in a week fingers crossed. Has anyone used it for stream PC games to TV? What's the latency like?

mossie wrote: »
    I've ordered the 32GB LTE version, should have it in the next couple of days. Just a question for anyone with the LTE version - what mobile provider is best for data PAYG packages. I wouldn't be using it a whole lot away from wifi but would like the option.

Seeing that it supports LTE, suppose Three would be the best choice.

Half-Life 2: Episode One' now on Shield (free if your rocking the 32GB LTE model)

Not suggesting people do this nor condoning the action- if you don't have the right to do so then do not... You will also not find info within this vid on 'How to' ...however this is very cool all the same!

• Advertisement

Don't suppose there's anywhere in Dublin where you could buy a cover and joypad?

Woohoo! Android 5.0.1 just dropped OTA to my Shield .

Download and so far looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Very pleased with my shield apart from battery life which isn't great computed to my old Acer. Otherwise all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 metalmonk

Don't suppose there's anywhere in Dublin where you could buy a cover and joypad?

I saw the joypad in the window of Maplins, off of Jervis St.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aaron-

Received the Nvidia Shield Tablet for Christmas and I am very happy with it overall, amazing build quality and a very smooth experience.

Couple of questions for everyone though:

Is it work updating to Lollipop yet?

And

Is anyone else having issues with slow charging?
    (Mine came form the states, so i'm guessing that might be the problem)

charging takes about 4 hrs with mine. (using the nvidia cables and charger)

android 5.0 had a bug that made it not recognize the stylus but 5.0.1 sorted that out.

Two bugs I have now is video speeds and random closing of apps. The video bug is unique to me (I think) as I'm not seeing anyone report it, its video of all kinds both online and off playing extra fast for no reason... could be related to my setting of the CPU to maximum speeds all the time.... but I think that's a lollipop thing with the memory problem they are having apps closing without warning.

I would say update.

god's toy wrote: »
    charging takes about 4 hrs with mine. (using the nvidia cables and charger)

android 5.0 had a bug that made it not recognize the stylus but 5.0.1 sorted that out.

Two bugs I have now is video speeds and random closing of apps. The video bug is unique to me (I think) as I'm not seeing anyone report it, its video of all kinds both online and off playing extra fast for no reason... could be related to my setting of the CPU to maximum speeds all the time.... but I think that's a lollipop thing with the memory problem they are having apps closing without warning.

I would say update.

I've been using the cable that came with it, but the adapter I got is a 2-pin American one so i've been using one I had lying around so that could be the problem.
    I sometimes find the battery drains quicker than it charges when a couple of things are open, which isn't ideal.

Perhaps I just need to get an adapter for the American one supplied with the tablet and it might work better.

I updated to Lollipop and I think I like it overall, it's certainly a bit different. I've found the tablet has hung up on a couple of things since the update but hopefully it's just isolated.

I'm happy overall with it though, all I need now is some kind of dock for it and i'll be happy out!
    Anyone know of any companies currently making these?

OSI wrote: »
    Ah, that's probably why. It comes with a 2.1A charger. A lot of USB chargers, especially ones shipped with phones rather than tablets are only 1A.

Would you suggest I go and buy a 2.1A charger then?

Aaron- wrote: »
    Would you suggest I go and buy a 2.1A charger then?

Just too add.
    Yes mine {with android 5.0.1} still does drop battery when connected to the charger when playing *some games* but it never drops beyond 95% from full charge.
    I think its related to the charger backing off the the charge rate when the battery says its almost full.

Was worse on 4.4 and 5.0 for dropping battery while plugged in but as said its not so bad now with 5.0.1

*some games are: the Simpson's and the Family Guy games. Nvidia shield game played nicely with the battery for some reason.

Have a look at the output of the charger you have there should be 2A or more.

god's toy wrote: »
    Just too add.
    Yes mine {with android 5.0.1} still does drop battery when connected to the charger when playing *some games* but it never drops beyond 95% from full charge.
    I think its related to the charger backing off the the charge rate when the battery says its almost full.

Was worse on 4.4 and 5.0 for dropping battery while plugged in but as said its not so bad now with 5.0.1

*some games are: the Simpson's and the Family Guy games. Nvidia shield game played nicely with the battery for some reason.

Have a look at the output of the charger you have there should be 2A or more.

I've just ordered a new charger just to be done with it, the one I had at home was a cheapo job so I doubt it helped at all. I'll have to monitor the battery thing for a while when it arrives and see if it helps any, that was my main concern really.

Curious to know what kind of cases/covers people are using? The Nvidia one seems a tad overpriced for what it is and I don't think i'd trust it to protect my tablet too much

• Advertisement

Aaron- wrote: »
    I've just ordered a new charger just to be done with it, the one I had at home was a cheapo job so I doubt it helped at all. I'll have to monitor the battery thing for a while when it arrives and see if it helps any, that was my main concern really.

Curious to know what kind of cases/covers people are using? The Nvidia one seems a tad overpriced for what it is and I don't think i'd trust it to protect my tablet too much

Yea the Nvidia is deffo overpriced for what your getting. Mine broke on me today just taking the tablet out of my back pocket! The tiny pins on the hinge gave way when it got a little stuck .. wont be buying the Nvidia one again.

How you getting on with the Utorcase mount? Finally got a mini HDMI and the Shield Controller and it's great having it outputting to my TV but wouldn't mind something like that too.

The Grid streaming service works so well. Been playing through Arkham Asylum on it and I can't notice any lag or delay whatsoever. Seriously impressive stuff, but they will need to add to the selection if they're eventually going to charge for it.

Games that need reaction time still suffer like car racer's but yep with the Irish server online its loads better. I will seriously consider subscribing after June.

New ROM out now! Go go go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Rumours of announcement around a new device in early March. If anyone is considering buying, hold off a couple of weeks.

another minor rom update out today .

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

I'm hearing rumours of a new x1 chipped tablet but am really tempted

What do we reckon the price will drop to for the k1 chipped model?

Picked up this case from amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MWGRLRA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Does the job nicely. Doesn't block any ports. has a built in screen protector too and the tablet feels very secure.

Me happy.

• Advertisement

Android 5.1 out now.

Have it running and I'm loving that the Simpsons game no longer kills the tablet when running in the background!

Over all its all good with new LCD screen settings like gamma, black levels, also better performance in direct sunlight. also HDMI settings updates too

I still have the video bug where everything video-wise plays super fast for no reason but I'm use to it at this stage...

Advertisement