Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

If it looks anything like the S3 as leaked I'll be extremely dial pointed. I liked it when they used to look "like" iPhone

No no no!! This is a Samsung, under no circumstances should it or will it look like the iPhone. If you want something to look like an iPhone, get an iPhone.

I have to say that I like the look of those leaked pictures though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I really don't get why people are expecting a major change to the design of the phone.

Since the relief the S3 it's become obvious that Samsung like the design, as they've incorporated it into a lot of new model phones, such as the S3 mini, X-Cover 2 etc.

They were slagged for years for looking similar to iPhone, and now people complain that it doesn't look enough like an iPhone.

I probably won't get the S4,if only because I love my S3 and I've yet to see any major upgrades in the 4 to make it worthwhile. I'm still very excited about the launch tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

SuprSi wrote: »

No no no!! This is a Samsung, under no circumstances should it or will it look like the iPhone. If you want something to look like an iPhone, get an iPhone.

I have to say that I like the look of those leaked pictures though.

I'm not saying that it has to look like an iPhone. I'm just saying in personal opinion that galaxy line design is poor compared to Nokia, Apple or HTC

Just looks cheap, even though the S3 is fairly sturdy the Note 2 has very poor build quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

is there a link to watch the coverage live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I'm not saying that it has to look like an iPhone. I'm just saying in personal opinion that galaxy line design is poor compared to Nokia, Apple or HTC

Just looks cheap, even though the S3 is fairly sturdy the Note 2 has very poor build quality
    You think so? My Note 2 has hit the ground more often than id care to admit, but theres not a mark on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Meesared wrote: »
    You think so? My Note 2 has hit the ground more often than id care to admit, but theres not a mark on it

Yeah but the chassis squeaks and twists. It's not a solid phone even though it can take a beating. There's a few tiny scratches on my screen and a load of marks on the edges of the phone. While it can take a beating, it's no tank

Yeah but the chassis squeaks and twists. It's not a solid phone even though it can take a beating. There's a few tiny scratches on my screen and a load of marks on the edges of the phone. While it can take a beating, it's no tank
    I don't have that same problem myself, I have to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Agreed. I have dropped it enough times and there's probably a scratch or two on the side otherwise nothing. I think the back coming off and battery coming out has saved me from destruction quiet a few times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Dropped my S3 many a times from low and high heights, neh a bother on her.

Had iphones from the first to the 5, everyone of them broke and smashed first time they were dropped, yup all of them dropped :o

The reason i went galaxy s3 was because the iphone breaks so easy, even when it hits carpet ffs

EDIT: No i dont use cases, i like the look of the phone i'm not covering it in a stupid case, makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I agree. Compare the design of the new HTC One (which is the most beautiful design of a phone I have ever seen) to what teaser of GS4. The GS4 is still going with the curved design which is just tired at this stage.

If the HTC One had an SD card slot then I would choose that over design alone. Lets be honest, all android phones are almost the same now because the hardware is now powerful enough to run the OS where as a few years ago alot of phones struggled.
    0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Had iphones from the first to the 5, everyone of them broke and smashed first time they were dropped, yup all of them dropped :o

The reason i went galaxy s3 was because the iphone breaks so easy, even when it hits carpet ffs

EDIT: No i dont use cases, i like the look of the phone i'm not covering it in a stupid case, makes no sense

You need a bloody JCB phone!!! In my experience both are equally brittle. No matter how sturdy the phone, if it falls in a particular way then the screen will smash.

• Advertisement

I personally think the Galaxy and Note benefits from its plastic casing, as there is more "give" in it than a metal case when its dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I remember last year when it was revealed I didn't like the look of the S3 and was going to go for the HTC One over it. Changed my mind literally when I was ordering it online. So glad I did as it looks so much nicer when you have it in your hand compared to photos.

Don't think I'll be upgrading this year but tonight could change things. Would hate if it started to look like an iPhone. Find them ugly looking things. They remind me of a golf car. Same design for years and no slickness about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I personally think the Galaxy and Note benefits from its plastic casing, as there is more "give" in it than a metal case when its dropped.

Plastic can crack and break alot easier than metal though. Have you ever seen metal shatter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Trust me it won't look anything like an iPhone, those things have been left back in early 2010. They just look like little toys these days.

I'm more interested in the finer details tonight, both software and hardware. Last year I didn't like the pictures of the s3 but loved it when I got one in my hand.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Plastic can crack and break alot easier than metal though. Have you ever seen metal shatter?
    I get that, but it doesn't shatter or crack very easily!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

s_carnage wrote: »
    I remember last year when it was revealed I didn't like the look of the S3 and was going to go for the HTC One over it. Changed my mind literally when I was ordering it online. So glad I did as it looks so much nicer when you have it in your hand compared to photos.

Same with me. Seen the pictures of the S3 and thought it looked awful, in real life I thought it looked a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Moving on from the of debate about which phone looks better.

Is anyone else a little disappointed by the amount of leaks?
    Samsung did a pretty good job last year of keeping the s3 hidden until they announced it, and I can't help but feel the amount of leaks has taken away from the night.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Samsung did a pretty good job last year of keeping the s3 hidden until they announced it, and I can't help but feel the amount of leaks has taken away from the night.

I think alot of it has been speculation as opposed to leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Sonics2k wrote: »

I have the S3 and like it.I hope S4 is not like the leaked images as it looks like the S3 so I don't think I would upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

you need help lad , i tried to break my old iphone 4 and really struggled , threw it out a second floor window and only scratched it , threw it as hard as i could at a concrete ground and just dented it , eventually it broke by dropping it perfectly flat on a tile floor , the screen shattered but it still worked . another lad i know submerged his in a basin of water and came back 6 hours later to it ringing , he took it out of the water and took the call perfectly lol:D
    i swear on my life and my families life thats true .

i have to say i love my current Galaxy S3 and wouldn't change back to an iphone but the S3 is a very cheap and plastiky feeling phone in comparison to the iphone :(
    i really hope they make the S4 a more upmarket feeling

you need help lad , i tried to break my old iphone 4 and really struggled , threw it out a second floor window and only scratched it , threw it as hard as i could at a concrete ground and just dented it , eventually it broke by dropping it perfectly flat on a tile floor , the screen shattered but it still worked . another lad i know submerged his in a basin of water and came back 6 hours later to it ringing , he took it out of the water and took the call perfectly lol:D
    i swear on my life and my families life thats true .

i have to say i love my current Galaxy S3 and wouldn't change back to an iphone but the S3 is a very cheap and plastiky feeling phone in comparison to the iphone :(
    i really hope they make the S4 a more upmarket feeling

Just the way it lands i guess, i dropped my iphone about 30cm from the couch onto carpet rug and screen shatters. It may feel cheap but its more durable.

Will this be screened live on YouTube?
    Surely in Samsungs interest to have as wide an audience as possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oooh exciting, now to get work to pay for it somehow.

Lets hope they get straight into it and none of this talking bull**** about crap i dont want to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

when does it start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

6 minutes ago. They are running late looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭leemaree

still ****ing waiting, zzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Sick of that music already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Start the fecking thing

• Advertisement

Sick of that music already
    driving me crackers

Lets hope they get straight into it and none of this talking bull**** about crap i dont want to hear
    Just as long as we don't see that little kid.

And we're off, finally!!

. 12 mins latenow they've started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

This is all I can think of atm :pac:

6HVCke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Dual sim is a really good idea.

looks the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Looks exactly like the leaked photos I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

But... But... How will people even know I've upgraded??

Looks exactly like the s3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Is it me or are they comparing this to the Nexus?

2600 mah removable battery

Those two bell ends getting on anyone elses nerves ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What is happening.

What the hell am I watching?

Wtf is this shit?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is this a product launch or variety show?

Regardless of phones, OS etc, Apple's presentations are much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This is some weird ass ****

murpho999 wrote: »
    Is this a product launch or variety show?

Regardless of phones, OS etc, Apple's presentations are much better.

True, I'm not seeing enough denim in this presentation.

• Advertisement

Switched it off now, that was cringing, will just read the reviews tommorow

Advertisement