Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I wonder is that Plymouth similar to the one on page 172...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

That Morris Minor looks like it's still in daily use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Max_Damage wrote: »
    That Morris Minor looks like it's still in daily use.
    It's a four door also. Would I be correct in saying that the vast majority were two door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It's a four door also. Would I be correct in saying that the vast majority were two door?
    Id say so,four doors wernt that plentifull really.

Apparently (according to the father lol), the four doors were alot rarer. His was 2 door, BZA 830. I'd say it's long gone lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

MercMad wrote: »
    My father owned a new Capri 2000GT in 1971, VIP 771.

It does seem odd that a Granada Mk1 was used, BTW the Granada name was only from 75 onwards.Before that they were called Consul.

The Pope's state limo at the time was a Mercedes 600, I assume that Granada was owned by the Sate at the time, their cars were not changed as often back then. In fact a lot of the Ministers' cars were used for several years before being passed to the special branch.

Bertie's car, back in the late 80's was either an early Renault 25, 1984 AFAIR, replaced by an '82 Mercedes 200, which in turn was changed for a brand new Granada 2.9i Ghia in 1988.

The window company National Aluminium was responsible for some of the conversion work on the "Popemobile" that was used in the Phoenix Park at the time.

The Granada used by the pope at the time was a 6 door conversion built by Duffys in Dundalk and one of 2 built at the time for O'Connors funeral directors in Cork. As regards VIP 1 reg, it was issued by the government for the popes visit, I think the last I heard of it it was sold to the Russian millionaire Abromovich for 285000 sterling. The popemobile was built on a Ford cargo truck by Obam coachbuilders in Cork, the body could be seen years later outside their workshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

wasnt VIP 1 originally on a Jaguar XJ6 series 1 in kilkenny. There is a picture of it with its owner in some newspaper a few years back when it was being sold in the UK around the mid 90s, thats before Abramovich bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

A few spots from Dublin 4 today.

JaguarETypeUJJ113F.jpg

nice car, but that door mirror looks like something u buy in halfords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

G Luxel wrote: »
    wasnt VIP 1 originally on a Jaguar XJ6 series 1 in kilkenny. There is a picture of it with its owner in some newspaper a few years back when it was being sold in the UK around the mid 90s, thats before Abramovich bought it.
    I think your right actually, I remember seeing that too somewhere.

Spotted this Starlet today also in Havelock Square, Dublin.

It's great to see pre '87 runabouts in everyday use. :)

carchaeologist - what year? 1986? (near the end of the Dublin numbers anyway).

ToyotaStarletSI7357.jpg

• Advertisement

^ There is a good few of those P70 Starlet's still around. There is a blue one near me that still has the original black-on-red plates. I'll have to get a picture of it sometime.

My parent's had an '86 JDM Starlet back in the mid-90's. It was a heap of shít, burnt oil, kept breaking down, and it rusted badly. It put us of Toyota's ever since! :p

Saw one today actually over in eastway. Irish reg i think, white with gold minilite's.

Back on topic, I spotted a red Honda Civic today with 'ZY' plates in Templeogue. It had learner plates on it too! No picture unfortunately.

carchaeologist - what year? 1986? (near the end of the Dublin numbers anyway).
    Aye,SI**** lasted the first four months of 86.

Speaking of SI regs,there was a VW camper where i was working today on an SI reg,hadnt time to stop and take a pic though:(.
    It was badged as a "VW camping(not camper) L"

Just out of curiosity, what year was 'OSI' and 'HZU'? The OSI reg. was on a Mazda 323 that was in a driveway in Templeogue untill about a year ago, and the HZU reg. is on that Renault 18 that does the rounds in south Dublin still.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what year was 'OSI' and 'HZU'?
    OSI*** a few days in mid feb 83
    ***HZU also a few days in mid march 82
    Both Dublin numbers.

Thanks. :)

(Just when you're there - what was the last number issued in Dublin? I used to know it but I've forgotten!)

(Just when you're there - what was the last number issued in Dublin? I used to know it but I've forgotten!)
    Going by what i have its ZS 8709,it doesnt show on cartell so im not sure,the last reg to show on cartell is ZS 8705,which is a volvo,so you can draw your own conclusions i suppose.

• Advertisement

Going by what i have its ZS 8709,it doesnt show on cartell so im not sure,the last reg to show on cartell is ZS 8705,which is a volvo,so you can draw your own conclusions i suppose.
    Great thanks. It was ZS 8*** alright.

Great thanks. It was ZS 8*** alright.
    I've just done a bit of a search and came up with an old quote from myself a couple of years ago! :o
    ZS 8709 was the last old style registration issued in Dublin

I've just done a bit of a search and came up with an old quote from myself a couple of years ago! :o
    See..you knew the answer all along!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

Thanks for the photo of the E Type it makes a great backround for my screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Quiz - 686 CIK and WZY 649, whats the common feature(s) ?

Capri wrote: »
    How do you mean exactly?

• Advertisement

Niether have been taxed post 1993?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Both the last plates registered in their respective counties in 1986?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Both the last plates registered in their respective counties in 1986?
    No,686 CIK is a 1975 dublin no,and WZY 649 is a 1984 louth issue?

686 CIK is a 1975 dublin no,and WZY 649 is a 1984 louth issue?
    Now that's intriguing! :)

Was it the first and last plates issued to a particular make/model?

Both Ford Capris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

i know - they're both Irish registration numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Same owner - you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Spotted this classic Land Rover this morning in Artane.
    Image005.jpg

Also saw an immaculate MGB GT (Rubber Bumper) Original Irish 9381 ZK in Clontarf and original Irish Merc KZS 912 E200

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

Never thought to be one to discover something like this, but here they are. And this is just a small sample of this guy's yard. I found him through my mechanic who used to race R8-s and own a Renault dealership in the 70's. the owner of this yard bought his first 16 of him and now has a mint 16 in the garage ( quite special), a good 12, and a yard full of these:
    Image035.jpg
    Image036.jpg
    Image037.jpg
    Image038.jpg
    I was just like a kid at Christmas. Didn't wanted to leave

Lol wrong thread, you want the abandoned classic. I'm sure everyone looks at both though, nice find:D

You're right. That's the one I was looking for I guess - although at some point, when I first joined the board there were more vague I believe...Wish there was a way you could save threads as "your favorite " so that you can see them when you log on next. Anyway, thank you. Will check "Abandoned Classics" right now( although these are rather neglected since they are right in his backyard, meters from his house.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Argesean wrote: »
    Wish there was a way you could save threads as "your favorite " so that you can see them when you log on next.
    You can "subscribe" to threads so you will be notified of new posts - go to your User CP

That R18 could do as a restoration project

Never thought to be one to discover something like this, but here they are. And this is just a small sample of this guy's yard. I found him through my mechanic who used to race R8-s and own a Renault dealership in the 70's. the owner of this yard bought his first 16 of him and now has a mint 16 in the garage ( quite special), a good 12, and a yard full of these:
    I was just like a kid at Christmas. Didn't wanted to leave
    Good find there argesean,R12s are rare these days,as strange as the styling was i always liked them.There is still one as a daily driver around castleisland in kerry,i occasionally see it. They had three stud wheels too which was a little unusual.
    Im guessing the yard is up in the meath direction going by the reg numbers of the cars?

Any answer to this one yet capri?:D

• Advertisement

Thank you Z. Jones, will try that.
    You're right archeologist, it is in Meath, close to Navan. And that's not half of what he has, althought is very relevant of their state...the rest were so deep in the grass that Icould not venture without rain boots. The renault 12 is a very well tested car. I used to be Romania's national car. They bought the licence from Renault in 1969 as a replacement for the R8 licence wich they had until then. Up intill 1974 they were mainly Renaults built in RO. Later they sarted making parts in Ro.Growing up in Romania, I saw 12 used inmore ways than you could imagine. There was evena 4x4 station wagon made for the middle east, another station wagon made for Italy had a Golf 1.6 engine, a sport version, which unlike the 15 was strictly based on the 12( took out the rear door and attached the rear qurter to the front door pillar( only new part was the rear side window); the've been built with RWD as pick up trucks( the platform was that of an ARO-Romanian SUV); ambulances...you name it. they were even sold to canada for a few years- that is when they offered a new dashboard, new bumpers...to comply w. requirements.All of the above were factory modifications, countless others were done privately. they only stopped production about 10 yars ago or so when Renault bought the factory and are now building the Logan( Renault's model for emerging markets) which is quite practical w ahuge boot and 7 seater SW). All that being said I used to smoke dacias w. my renault 12 TS. anyway there is a program there now were thy are trying to get them off the road and they are being destroyed as soon as they are traded in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Nice two-tone beetle seen in Greystones last Sat. on original Kilkenny plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

they only stopped production about 10 yars ago
    Actually the Dacia 1310 was still in production until 2004, which was when the Logan was introduced. They tried selling it in the UK as the Dacia Denem during 1983-84 (was it sold here too?) but I guess that didn't work out too well...

Maybe come back with that link in 20 years?;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Maybe come back with that link in 20 years?;)

check out the 1971 RSR for sale. Forget about the fresh stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

jrar wrote: »

that Beetle's a daily driver - its always parked near the DART station. Its a well kept example.

jrar wrote: »
    Looks like twas one of emilios at one time going by the sticker in the back window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Where is this Renault jungle? I'd like to have a look. It looks like he has some very rare and interesting stuff.

Why is he keeping these cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

nice MKII in Stillorgan tonight. 524 WZK
    Image009.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement