Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Cups & Shields

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

I do think it harsh also, and thats why it bugs me. And there are far more honest, players, teams, and clubs that do not field bandit teams, than ones that do. But the honest ones bomb out in the qualifiers or first rounds.
    I am tarring all the semi-finalist with the same brush though. You simply cannot get their with legitimate handicaps. And I am speaking from direct knowledge of golfers I know and play with, and the reprehensible behaviour of my own club in this regard. The pennants over the bar embarrass me.

Definitely agree this is the case, and I don't doubt that events like PP are almost always won by teams with plenty of handicap "rogues". Down through the years, there's often been remarks about certain winning teams, not all mind you, but every few years a team gets mentioned. I think there was a Barton winning team about 10/12 years ago that was regarded as being iffy and I can think of another from about 5 years prior to that one.

Interclub has always attracted the best players in their respective categories. Why do managers pick player X over player Y when they're both the same handicap (PP team building aside :D) ? I know this is in theory against the system, but in reality you can have two players off the same handicap and one is clearly a better player than the other, doesn't necessarily make him a bandit. Perhaps player X can be depended upon to play to his handicap under pressure in a match, whereas player Y usually caves in, it doesn't make X a bandit IMHO.

We haven't won a worthwhile pennant in years, its a constant discussion whether other teams are all rogues or our guys are handicapped too tightly. To be honest I've mostly had the view that we're picking lads who can't play to their handicaps in a million years, or can't play to it away from home. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Ciarana fair play you being 100 % honest.

Great insight.

Can I ask were you encouraged to not play in qualifying comps.

Just to show you how daft things are I'm off 6.8.
    But my stats are 0.1 worse then you.

You had a 6 over in pga . Great score.
    And you can go next year.

No never asked that just no time to play singles
    our practice eas very intense glad its over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Played very well this year to 10 looking to get Hc down but if its not happening i still qualify for next year and hope to be a better golfer

But you couldnt possibly have a handicap of 10 if those 20 rounds were submitted as competitive cards. And being not competitive rounds shows how far your handicap is out of whack with your true playing ability. Again, its within the rules. But shouldnt be. The team win purports to be a noteworthy success at playing golf. Really its a success at playing the system, but pretending it is a golfing success. An apposite example of the sham of team events being hereabouts discussed for those still granting such victories some kudos.

PARlance wrote: »
    There's only one word phrase for that in my book.

A good man for the Barton :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Yea had a great year but practice games you dont get cut for

Bit of a witch hunt here, played on the same team as Ciaranra.... none of us bandits , just fcuking good match play players.

If you play to your handicap and can handle the pressure you will win most matches.

Two words really:

Four Handicapper.

Hopefully some day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

mafc wrote: »
    Bit of a witch hunt here, played on the same team as Ciaranra.... none of us bandits , just fcuking good match play players.

If you play to your handicap and can handle the pressure you will win most matches.

And you'll win the provincial towns cup too?

And you'll win the provincial towns cup too?

We did :P

If you can play to your handicap and winning most matches, you are a bandit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Don't know mafc.

I genuinely don't know how this works.

A lad comes on defending it. We ask a few questions . Ciarana accepts he is a six or less (yes?)

Then he says he is going again next year.

If ("I") was running things a lad would have to play 10 + qualifying comps in last .

so I'm breaking me balls off 7. You want me to be happy facing a player with a lag of 4 in his handicap ?

That's why I gave a little ;)

Onto the next item....

You do know that those stats (from 2 months ago) would suggest that you are playing off a higher handicap than you should be

Assuming a standard layout
    4 Par 3's @ 3.3 = 1.2 over
    10 Par 4's @ 4.5 = 5 over
    4 Par 5's @ 5.1 = 0.4 over

You're averaging 6.6 over there...playing off a HC off 10
    There's only one word for that in my book.
    Playing well is the 2 words im sure yoir thinking

Don't want to drift too far off topic, but that's just not necessarily true.

Don't know mafc.

A lad comes on defending it. We ask a few questions . Ciarana accepts he is a six or less (yes?)

If ("I") was running things a lad would have to play 10 + qualifying comps in last year.

so I'm breaking me balls off 7. You want me to be happy facing a player with a lag of 4 in his handicap ?

So the fact that I can play to 9 makes me a bandit, would like to know how you came to that conclusion :confused:

Don't know mafc.

If ("I") was running things a lad would have to play 10 + qualifying comps in last .

Never said im a 6 or 7 just said played well to 10

• Advertisement

Don't know mafc.

Have played enough golf with him and he's no 6 :D

Have played enough golf with him and he's no 6 :D

Depends how or what you (or the team selector) views a 6 HC'er to be I suppose.

I'll leave ye off now lads, good luck defending your crown next year IF the cuts don't come now for ye.

Great Shooting mafc, you had me fooled.
    Your teammate was never as subtle though!

Bit of an IN joke was this?
    Head was a little sore today after a few too many pints last night so decided to head out for a game to clear it. Absolute beautiful Spring day & perfect for golf.

Started off a bit ropey & had 3 bogey's on the first 4 holes, rallied a bit after that or sobered up and finished +4 for front 9.
    Got my game going and finished -2 for back 9.

Gross 73 (+2)
    10 pars
    3 birdies
    5 bogey's
    25 putts
    Mafc what u playing off looks like your a bit of a bandit

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89395197

Sorry his stats are his stats.

ciarana. Is fair to say you shoot in the 70s a good bit ?

Look well done. But I wouldn't like to meet you off 10.

Enjoy next year.

I think I'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

So are we now saying every team that wins a GUI comp has bandits on it?

So the fact that I can play to 9 makes me a bandit, would like to know how you came to that conclusion :confused:

I didnt come to that conclusion. I said "If you can play to your handicap and winning most matches, you are a bandit."
    If you include yourself in the group who can play to your handicap and win most matches, then however, I would. But you didnt say that you do. So I dont.

• Advertisement

Ben1977 wrote: »

I cant speak for everyone. But in my opinion, indubitably. I would include the beaten finalists and semi-finalists in that also.

Perhaps there should be a thread on what exactly is a bandit because that's the key to it. One man's bandit is another man's solid player is another man's total rogue.

Sorry his stats are his stats.

ciarana. Is fair to say you shoot in the 70s a good bit ?

Look well done. But I wouldn't like to meet you off 10.

Enjoy next year.

I think I'll give it a miss.

Dont give it a miss it will make you play to your best on a more consistant level

Depends how or what you (or the team selector) views a 6 HC'er to be I suppose.

I'll leave ye off now lads, good luck defending your crown next year IF the cuts don't come now for ye.

Great Shooting mafc, you had me fooled.
    Your teammate was never as subtle though!

Bit of an IN joke was this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89395197

Correct.

Can't defend the crown next year as I got to 7.9 earlier this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

From what I saw in the Junior Cup most teams seem to consist of young lads on the way down.
    Last years winners Ballybunion was made up of their Fred Daly team. It can't be said that these players are all bandits as by the time the All Ireland finals came around most were probably off 3 or less.

Russman wrote: »
    Perhaps there should be a thread on what exactly is a bandit because that's the key to it. One man's bandit is another man's solid player is another man's total rogue.

From the Saveourlyric online dictionary :

"Any golfer who takes any action, in the playing of their golf, in the returning or not of cards, or in the entering or not of competitions, that results in a difference between their official handicap and their true playing ability"

"Any golfer who takes any action, in the playing of their golf, in the returning or not of cards, or in the entering or not of competitions, that results in a difference between their official handicap and their true playing ability"

So you dont play inter club then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Senior cup and barton shield winners should all be pro

So you dont play inter club then

I dont follow the logic ?

dvemail wrote: »
    From what I saw in the Junior Cup most teams seem to consist of young lads on the way down.
    Last years winners Ballybunion was made up of their Fred Daly team. It can't be said that these players are all bandits as by the time the All Ireland finals came around most were probably off 3 or less.

I hope the Cill Dara lads don't take offence, it's probably water off a ducks back, but none of their team look like young lads...

• Advertisement

I dont follow the logic ?

Would you not want to play for your club

I hope the Cill Dara lads don't take offence, it's probably water off a ducks back, but none of their team look like young lads...

None taken :D

I still think I'm a young lad though :)

Must get more nivea for men so

None taken :D

I still think I'm a young lad though :)
    Must get more nivea for men so

You're one of the youngest looking Ciaran ;)

You're one of the youngest looking Ciaran ;)

Jaysus PARlance you would make a great detective :D

After thinking for a little while.

Considering the pros and cons.

Engaging the rational part of my brain for once.

I've concluded.

Interclubs are a ****ing joke. :D

Jaysus PARlance you would make a great detective :D

20130210_CMT_Dog_D3C0302.jpg

Would you not want to play for your club

Yes and no.
    Ideally would love to, and think the idea of interclub is great. Its simply a pity that the handicap system kneecaps it.
    But I also know what a nonsense it is from the aspect of being a magnet for teams of bandits, rendering it pointless as a legitimate, honest golfing competition.

Upshot is, I play occasionally. Winning some matches, losing some. I have no interest in them as competitions. But play now and again when asked (rarely - my handicap is legit) on the basis that it is a freebe round (or two, I generally go for a practice round also) on another course.

I'm going to stick my name down and if I see Cill Dara on the draw . I'm heading to Croker to see the Dubs win instead.

lads shooting 2/3/4/5 over off 10.

Lol. Another game lads .

Lads i don't blame individuals . It is the system and the GUI.
    If you play to your full potential in qualifying comps. You are no good to a team .

• Advertisement

From the what ??:)

Well then (slightly tongue in cheek) everyone is a bandit, because pretty much everyone plays better in a casual or practice game than they do in competition. So if everyone is a bandit all we're arguing about is degrees of banditry......

I'm going to stick my name down and if I see Cill Dara on the draw . I'm heading to Croker to see the Dubs win instead.

lads shooting 2/3/4/5 over off 10.

Lol. Another gametoto lads .

Lads i don't blame individuals . It is the system and the GUI.
    If you play to your full potential in qualifying comps. You are no good to a team .

To be honest cill dara will need to rebuild this team we must have 5 lads gone 2 low
    And i will prob be watching the Dubs myself

I agree with Russman

people do not understand what a bandit is and boards here are golfing technocrats . And not down and dirty (should we say).

Most golfers in the real world are chasing 40 points.

I'm starting a new thread here . My journey to 12 and interclub intergalactic cutless heroics.

Give us a break on title. Only came up with idea now.

Well then (slightly tongue in cheek) everyone is a bandit, because pretty much everyone plays better in a casual or practice game than they do in competition. So if everyone is a bandit all we're arguing about is degrees of banditry......

You've just nailed it there.

And to add to it.

This moral high ground that lads seem to adapt.

Be as low as you can.
    ignore interclubs
    don't enter clasics
    stay away from that.

These lads claim to be on a higher level.

But most don't seem very happy at all.

People who have a handicap they can play to . Are having a wondrous life of joy and fun and variety. .

A bandit is a great life.

How do I start ?

:)
    Must despatch a missive to the lexicographers ! Definiton not clear enough !

Nothing to do with playing performance in casual versus competitive rounds.

And I think the definition is pretty close to good:
    Handicaps are determined by performance in competitive rounds so casual games do not enter the issue.

What puts you into the bandit category is any attempt to manipulate your handicap whether done by
    - deciding to enter or not a competition because of your form, the weather, the type of event itself, or concern that you might be cut for a minor competition with loot or glory not worth being cut for, not returning cards on a frequent enough basis for your handicap to represent your playing form, or not entering comps 'in case' you are cut and would be outside a team comp qualification the following year
    - not letting your scores represent without interference your playing level on the day : i.e. 'pulling' on the last couple of holes being the most extreme example
    - not returning your card if it will trigger an even minor cut, because you reckon its not good enough to win or will only be an also run

• Advertisement

I agree with Russman

people do not understand what a bandit is and boards here are golfing technocrats . And not down and dirty (should we say).

Most golfers in the real world are chasing 40 points.

I'm starting a new thread here . My journey to 12 and interclub intergalactic cutless heroics.

Give us a break on title. Only came up with idea now.

You need more time to get a proper title !!

Ah no, seriously, I think the banditry is overstated in a way. Yes there are teams that take the p1ss and it's well known, but, for a start, there's not a whole lot you can do about it, when clubs actively "build" teams or try to. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas, and handicap secretaries won't go cutting potential team members unless there's a VERY good reason.

The overstating element is that I think most players, if they're honest, will admit they have a shot or two in hand if they play well. It's probably not intentional, its just the way golf is. The guy who manages to keep his head and play well will probably win his match - do this enough times and he'll be called a bandit, when all he's really done is find a way to play his normal game on the "big" stage if you like. So many guys play a different game to their normal game when they're playing for the club, looking at putts from every direction, taking too long on shots, looking for yardages etc, basically doing things that are completely outside their normal comfort zone and they play woeful or much worse than normal. When they lose to a guy who just plays "his" game, inevitably the winning guy gets tarred.

I know earlier I said a metro player shooting 9 over won't win, and I believe that's true in the latter stages, but it's also surprising how often simply playing in or around your handicap would win a lot of matches. Barton Cup matches are regularly won by pairs who are almost averaging a bogey a hole or only a shot or two better, likewise in Metro. Four 90s almost always qualifies very easily in PP. Four 80s walked in in the junior cup this year on a par 70, and that's from 5 handicappers. Don't get disheartened by tales of rogues, inter club is mostly a fantastic experience. It's a bit like customer reviews, you only usually see the bad ones. It's rare to hear someone say "inter club is great, I played a guy who was as sh1t as me on the day, but I managed to get the win," it's always the "I was beaten by a bandit" story that gets the attention.

And avoid the PP, you actually really do need a team of rogues to win that one !!

And to add to it.

This moral high ground that lads seem to adapt.

Be as low as you can.
    ignore interclubs
    don't enter clasics
    stay away from that.

These lads claim to be on a higher level.

But most don't seem very happy at all.

People who have a handicap they can play to . Are having a wondrous life of joy and fun and variety. .

A bandit is a great life.

How do I start ?

Match play is completely different to playing singles stroke /stableford. You can win holes with 5's & 6"s, it's just about getting it in the hole one less than your opponent. Lads handle the pressure differently so it's not always the "better" golfer that wins the match.

Don't knock it till you try it.

:)
    Must despatch a missive to the lexicographers ! Definiton not clear enough !

Nothing to do with playing performance in casual versus competitive rounds.

And I think the definition is pretty close to good:
    Handicaps are determined by performance in competitive rounds so casual games do not enter the issue.

What puts you into the bandit category is any attempt to manipulate your handicap whether done by
    - deciding to enter or not a competition because of your form, the weather, the type of event itself, or concern that you might be cut for a minor competition with loot or glory not worth being cut for, not returning cards on a frequent enough basis for your handicap to represent your playing form, or not entering comps 'in case' you are cut and would be outside a team comp qualification the following year
    - not letting your scores represent without interference your playing level on the day : i.e. 'pulling' on the last couple of holes being the most extreme example
    - not returning your card if it will trigger an even minor cut, because you reckon its not good enough to win or will only be an also run

Totally agree with all that expect the bolded part. Can't see how not playing, say for the club, because I'm playing rubbish makes me a bandit. Same for deciding not to play because it's pi$$ing rain and blowing a hooley.

The "pulling" argument I'm slightly wary of. It comes down to intent obviously, so only the player will know for sure but passing judgement on someone for pulling is iffy. The best player in the world took 4 putts on a green last night, if he can do that, surely a 15 handicapper can too, at the most inopportune time.

I think a simpler definition of a bandit is someone who is carrying a few shots and can produce the good scores when required. I suspect a lot fewer people would be classed as bandits using this criteria, as people rarely play to others' expectations.

The "pulling" argument I'm slightly wary of. It comes down to intent obviously

Pulling is by definition with intent. Whether the intent is there, as you say only the player really knows.

But I think we have all known the guy who scrubs the last two holes in a Tueday small field open with token prizes when he was heading for 39. But it is no way nerves or pressure - as proven a few weeks later when he gets a few pars or birdies to pull of a prestige win in a Captains or something more to his taste.

The form or the weather are not strictly the bandits thinking, more that of the vanity handicapper who fears the likelyhood of getting a point one - and doesnt want it. So yes, not quite applicable to the bandit of interclub fame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement