Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storm Sunday April 29th , Rainy period till May 02nd

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Still looking like rain moving into the south & east on Sunday afternoon/evening.

202600.png

202601.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Shame this system didn't get another 50-100 miles north, would have brought sustained 50 gust 70 mph to east coast.

As it is, southeast risk sustained 40mph gust 60, Wexford region

gfs-0-30.png?6

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was watching Evelyn's forecast last night and she showed an animtaion of the system moving out of France - i have to say that I don't ever recall a system (as vigorous as this) moving east to west like that (in these parts)?

Southeast coast 10m sustained winds below

Also mod to heavy rain to move in from midday.

Rtavn309.png

NAE 6z takes this a lot further north

12042918_2806.gif

• Advertisement

NAE paints rough day for east coast

Sustained winds 60-80 km/hr along east coast (37-50mph) highest in southeast fringe. Peaking 12-5pm tomorrow.

12042915_2806.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sustained winds 60-80 km/hr along east coast (37-50mph) highest in southeast fringe. Peaking 12-5pm tomorrow.

12042915_2806.gif

Looks bad for the south too no? :-P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

12042915_2806.gif

I think this could turn out to be more of an event than midweeks so called storm especially for the East and South East.

I think this could turn out to be more of an event than midweeks so called storm especially for the East and South East.

Yes this will have more bite, the system earlier this week was mature and had peaked before moving upon us, a tightening gradient will develop ahead of the rain front which is when winds will peak.

Although guidance doesn't really indicate gusts much higher than 60/65mph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    Looks bad for the south too no? :-P

Everywhere excluding Cork yes... :p;)

According to this version of the GFS ( same as ur chart WC i think )
    9am is the peak time for gusts?

202646.png

High tide in Dublin 2moro at Half 5 . So i'm gonna try go out to Dun Laoghaire after work for some photography.

The parents are flying home from Valencia though in the morning at 7am , hope my Mam has some wine for the flight! :/:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Could there be more chance of coastal flooding as this tight gradient pushes south to north ( then west ) instead of the usual west to east?

I think it could push a nice surge up the Irish sea before heading west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

predicted high tide for Dun Laoghaireis 3.3m. It maxed out on the last event at 4.2m

The dodder was closed off. Not sure if that was precaution to the rain that was predicted or the high tide, both were due to hit at the same time. High tide at 1:50 and rain for mid-day.

The tide was high, but for the dodder to burts it's banks it has to be +5.1m. But with most flood protection works, the water is just pushed into another area. In this case Ballsbridge.

High tides are nice to watch from the south wall. Don't recommend sanydmount strand. It's boring :)

Would not like to be traveling on the ferry to Wales tomorrow :D

12042912_2812.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sweet, Right in the firing line tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

baraca wrote: »
    Sweet, Right in the firing line tomorrow.

Makes a change from reading posts about the cool storms in the NW throughout the Winter while we down here get a bit of drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As of 30 April 00z it is 6d 4h to full moon, so luckily this will hit about as far from astronomical tidal peaks as possible (meaning that potential tidal issues will be somewhat less problematic). The range of guidance has narrowed but this could still turn out a bit anti-clima(c)tic if it hangs a bit south and stays above 995 mbs. No doubt a wet and windy 24-48h for the south, but so far looking moderate rather than severe, but quite an odd storm track, would have to imagine this is a ten-year return period sort of event on that score, if not longer. I can't recall tracking a storm towards Ireland that originated in eastern Spain or came anywhere near Bergerac France. Further west, several times, and also once or twice from around Belgium or northeast France, but this is an oddity. I guess we should enjoy it (easier for me as I won't get wet from it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

MT, who knows - given the freakish nature of the low, it might wobble its way over the Atlantic towards Canada :D I should bottle a few drops of rain tomorrow for posterity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

zerks wrote: »
    Makes a change from reading posts about the cool storms in the NW throughout the Winter while we down here get a bit of drizzle.

Spare a thought for us 'centralies' who don't live in the NW, or E or S and thus have missed out on absolutely anything the weather has thrown at us this year so far - a trend that is looking to continue for the foreseeable and most likely far beyond that as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spare a thought for us 'centralies' who don't live in the NW, or E or S and thus have missed out on absolutely anything the weather has thrown at us this year so far - a trend that is looking to continue for the foreseeable and most likely far beyond that as well :(

I await your post in August as the mercury hits 35c in the midlands for the third week running:D

Back on topic,hope we get a decent storm tomorrow instead of a damp squib.Told a few people that we could have some bad weather & the replies were "oh,I never heard,but it's nice today". I reckon they all listen to South East Radio which has the worst weather forecast in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I reckon areas above 500/600 asl will see some snow tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The first of the rain about to hit the extreme south east coast anytime now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Ne wind in Arklow is gusting above 40mph at the moment straight off the sea according to my Davis and at only 5.9c,it is very very bracing!
    Cloudy and dry at the moment with the clouds moving like formula one racing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

From Met.ie
    Gale Warning

Northeast gales or strong gales will develop today Sunday, on Irish Coastal waters, from Carlingford Lough to Hook Head to Slyne Head and on the Irish Sea.
    Issued at 06:00 on 29-Apr-2012

Winds have picked up in Dublin CC in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Wind currently 33kmh, gusting to 48kmh, max gust so far 56.8kmh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain not too far away now. It looks to be an extensive band with some heavy bursts in there.

202743.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Once the rain band hits the east coast will the wind speeds subside or are they to remain as they are now?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Once the rain band hits the east coast will the wind speeds subside or are they to remain as they are now?

Probably get a bit stronger if anything. As BB described it - a bracing day here with a strong NE wind. 6.2c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Rain not too far away now. It looks to be an extensive band with some heavy bursts in there.

202743.jpg

What radar is that mick?

6.2c with a DP 1c here atm. I'd say higher parts of Wicklow Mountains (e.g. Lug) could get quite a blanketing of snow from this system.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    What radar is that mick?

Its the Netweather.tv radar and can be found here

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement