Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5335 for the Dept. of Social protection annual retired staff get together

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

Boombastic wrote: »
    T.... Trays of Guinness cans and Heineken were also laid out....

Holy **** I hope they weren't laying out the old 3 for €24 deal because I'd be really as pissed off as everyone else here if the drink could also be subject to a VAT re-claim !! which I hope didn't amount to more than €5,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

emo72 wrote: »
    its crazy, its mental. there is no defending this. nero playing the violin while rome burns.

Jesus. Nero? Was he there? And he brought the fiddle? Well there's the entertainment sorted then :pac:
    emo72 wrote: »
    they shouldnt be wasting money like that.

shock and disgust and rage. i dont have your power to laugh it off. but fair play to you.

****ing hell, more hyperbole. Shock, disgust and rage would describe someone's reaction to a massacre like at the school in the States. Get a grip FFS. And you know what? I'd rather see them have it and drink it, than some of the people that I know on the dole have it. At least the public servants worked for their booze. There's a good whack of people on the dole who haven't worked a day in their lives, and they've cost a lot more than 5 grand apiece this year. That's where your ire should lie. Not with a party for people who've worked all their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Very few private companies pay for their staff Christmas party so why should the government pay for parties for those in it's departments.

Really? I don't believe this for a second. Every private sector company I've worked for (including my own business) at the very least contributed to the staff Christmas party. Every single person I know with a private sector job has a subsidised or paid for Christmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

seen so many places close down. so many friends lose jobs. so many close family and friends have to leave the country.

go and do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

token101 wrote: »
    Jesus. Nero? Was he there? And he brought the fiddle? Well there's the entertainment sorted then :pac:

****ing hell, more hyperbole. Shock, disgust and rage would describe someone's reaction to a massacre like at the school in the States. Get a grip FFS. And you know what? I'd rather see them have it and drink it, than some of the people that I know on the dole have it. At least the public servants worked for their booze. There's a good whack of people on the dole who haven't worked a day in their lives, and they've cost a lot more than 5 grand apiece this year. That's where your ire should lie. Not with a party for people who've worked all their lives.
    Indeed

• Advertisement

Really? I don't believe this for a second. Every private sector company I've worked for (including my own business) at the very least contributed to the staff Christmas party. Every single person I know with a private sector job has a subsidised or paid for Christmas party.

Not a single company I have ever worked for contributed to the staff party. At most you might get a box of beer but nothing more. My house-mate works in a rather large multi national and it was his Christmas staff party last night, cost to attend was 30 euro per head. Three friends have had staff parties over the past week, none of which were covered by the company. Some companies will throw a party or pay some of the cost but in this day and age it's a very small number.

Not a single company I have ever worked for contributed to the staff party. At most you might get a box of beer but nothing more. My house-mate works in a rather large multi national and it was his Christmas staff party last night, cost to attend was 30 euro per head. Three friends have had staff parties over the past week, none of which were covered by the company. Some companies will throw a party or pay some of the cost but in this day and age it's a very small number.

Well, my experience says different. So I guess that just shows the dangers of relying on personal anecdotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Well, my experience says different. So I guess that just shows the dangers of relying on personal anecdotes.

Teachers get their parties paid for too do they? How much does that cost the department?

Teachers get their parties paid for too do they? How much does that cost the department?

They most certainly don't!

I'd be willing to be that the vast majority of boardies who attend a staff Christmas party this year pay for it themselves or at the very least contribute the majority of the cost.

• Advertisement

I'd be willing to be that the vast majority of boardies who attend a staff Christmas party this year pay for it themselves or at the very least contribute the majority of the cost.

And I'd be willing to bet that many of them wouldn't admit the truth if it didn't suit whatever agenda is being pushed at the time. But go right ahead. I'd rather see some actual stats and ignore the personal anecdotes.

Not a single company I have ever worked for contributed to the staff party...

Coincidently here's my Christmas Party survey from a get-together on Friday evening ...

- 1 semi-state - paid for
    - 1 construction company - paid for
    - 1 IT consultant - paid for + taxis
    - 1 local authority - paid for themselves in the pub.

Anyone else with anecdotes ??

It wasn't a christmas party

It wasn't a christmas party

Thats irrelevant. My post suits my agenda, like all of the previous posts + your own.

Thats irrelevant. My post suits my agenda, like all of the previous posts + your own.

So what do you think of €5335 being spent for a party for ex-employees using the resources of current employees to organise it in a department that's cutting back and has a massive backlog?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Its money being pumped backed into the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yakult wrote: »
    Its money being pumped backed into the economy

One could say the same for:

- rent allowances scams.
    - unmarried mother scams.
    - working whilst on the social welfare scams.

Money earned from those scams goes back into the economy. No one lives for free after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't see what the relevance of private companies spending money on parties is. If a private company wants to bankrupt themselves buying drink for their employees, that's their choice. Public money is a entirely different kettle of fish altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Great to see the usual public servant suspects out in force defending this, blind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Indeed

Insightful. Well you've convinced me, grab me a pitchfork and a torch.

Maybe you need to find better companies to work for then? That's not being smart, but even when I was underage working in shops we got free stuff for Christmas. I've never worked anywhere where management haven't given something. And generally it's a lot more than 5 grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

We're not getting a party,never have but the good people in management thought a week before Christmas was a perfect time to let four staff go with no warning whatsoever, let them come into work and clock in before sending them on their way :(

I guess keeping my job is the best party ever!

Having a party for retired employees is an unnecessary waste of money at a time when we're all facing austerity and are worried every day for our job security. It's a huge slap in the face to read stories like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Of course its a "non story".
    Reporting public sector waste is like reporting that it rained today, hardly something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

lot of spite here, shameful really
    ?
    Confab wrote: »
    FYP, smugness will get you nowhere.

Don't feed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm sorry but anybody defending a government department spending thousands on a Christmas party for ex-staff in a time of austerity must have a vested interest because there is absolutely no way it can be defended. It is nothing but waste and it represents how out of touch those using taxpayers money are.
    I completely understand Christmas parties for current staff, it's important to keep morale high and one party a year as a token of your employer's thanks is fair enough I think. Plenty of Private companies do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Of course it is wasteful - the recipients of the bonhomie don't even work there ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

As I said before I have no faith in this country actually righting itself...no faith in the government caring about anything but the big boys lined pockets...and the amount of people here who think its ok for them to spend on a party for the retired (not a retirement party) at such a significant time (Christmas...getting ****tier for lots of people every year, and cutting funds to respite...low), reiterates it for me & makes me ashamed to be Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Going to find myself on both sides (or neither side) of the argument here. On one hand, I think it's both politically stupid and incredibly insensitive of the department to do this. On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with throwing a modest party for ex-employees who may have done excellent work in the service of the department.

The only thing that really annoys me is I'll bet, (and I'll apologise unreservedly if I'm wrong), that the current members of staff who hold these people's positions weren't at the party. There will be €100,000 pissed away on "consultancy" fees next week for "advice" that I'd guarantee you these people would have given to their successors for free.

It could have been €5,000 very prudently and wisely spent. There's nothing retired people like more than telling the next generation where they're going wrong over a few beers.:pac:

But, instead, it will cost a fortune for the same advice, more than likely for the same people to give it, to be done in working hours.

I'll tell ya. The next time Joan Burton wants to smugly condescend to people who are about to lose their back-to-school allowance and tell them "they need to shop around", she needs the same puck in the jaw, that unfortunately, that cnut Harney never got but so richly deserved.:mad:

Okay,

\rant over,

Happy Christmas AHers,:)

Choco

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ok Ok, let's all have a good F***ing whinge and whine about it but hey let's do NOTHING to change it eh.

Good aul Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ok Ok, let's all have a good F***ing whinge and whine about it but hey let's do NOTHING to change it eh.

Good aul Ireland

It did happen in the past...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Just reading along here but as you ask...

Our Christmas party is always a free event. food and drink and good raffle prizes etc. etc.

This year they even paid for most people to get taxis home on company account, where needed.

Private sector. 60 people.

Advertisement