Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5335 for the Dept. of Social protection annual retired staff get together

Options
  • 16-12-2012 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

No recession there:rolleyes:

Is this what the money is needed for we are taking off the carers? Filling the trough for these pigs to feast themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So what?

A work party for some employees?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

So what?

So what?

Fuck their poxy work parties! What about the carers in this country. Boo fucking hoo if a few overpaid underworked staff don't get a night out on the piss.

Great to see where our priorities lie in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

So what?

No...

"annual retirement get-together for ex-staff members was held on 31 October.!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭amacca

a ffs here we go again

pass the popcorn, no need for anything else my salty tears will flavour it

So what?

Fuck their poxy work parties! What about the carers in this country. Boo fucking hoo if a few overpaid underworked staff don't get a night out on the piss.

Great to see where our priorities lie in this country.

5000 euros wouldnt have made up the respite grant!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

So what?

+1 I concur. Though if I go to my party I pay for everything, I have not even got a x-mas drink in the 16 years I worked for the HSE. However, I have no objections to someone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wouldn't really have an issue with it if it was for employees, but a party for people who used to work there? That's an absolute fúcking joke tbh. Why the **** can't these people just meet up and pay for their own shíte like the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Dubwat

In total, more than €5,000 was spent on the party
    The postage for invitations sent out for the event cost just under €700.

€700 on stamps means an awful lot of people were invited. Say 1,000 people, for arguments sake...

€5k on a party for the 'old-timers' is not a big deal. €5k/1,000 people = €5/person = ~1 pint of beer. Half of them turn up = ~2 pints of beers...

Normally, I'd be fairly anti-public servants but I don't have a problem with this.

Dubwat wrote: »
    €700 on stamps means an awful lot of people were invited. Say 1,000 people, for arguments sake...

€5k on a party for the 'old-timers' is not a big deal. €5k/1,000 people = €5/person = ~1 pint of beer. Half of them turn up = ~2 pints of beers...

Normally, I'd be fairly anti-public servants but I don't have a problem with this.

Only 240 people according to the DailyMail, Must have been some heavy invatations

And it cost €1,000 more than last year but
    The department said it was ‘of course appreciative of the current economic climate’ and had tried to ‘restrict’ expenditure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So what?

Good god :eek:
    5,000 euro spent an annual get together for people who dont ever work there anymore? ... and its tax payers money?

you seriously have no issue with this? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No issue at all

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lavish party and Busáras don't quite go together

Compare to this in the UK

Primary school's entire governing body forced to resign after spending £6,000 of public funds on headteacher's farewell BBQ

He said: 'This was a very ill-judged decision by the governors of the school for this amount of expenditure and I think the steps which are being taken to redress the position are right.
    'I think, particularly in these times, a misuse of public funds for the benefit of public servants is unjustifiable.

'It's a lesson for all schools and public bodies that money should be spent on front line services rather than celebrations.'
    Mr Tansley, a former Foreign Office worker, compared the party to the 2007 Lord Levy scandal, which saw a £6,000 retirement party thrown to mark his nine years of service as Tony Blair's personal envoy in the Middle East.

With a backlog of 9,000 people waiting to be processed, some more than a year, you think they'd have more to be doing than taking people away from their duties to plan parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

No issue at all

Was the party any good mango?? And were the invites really snazzy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They always look after themselves well. They should have to pay for it themselves. We aren't getting anything paid for.

I'll tell you what would pay for the respite grant though... catching people defrauding the welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

its crazy, its mental. there is no defending this. nero playing the violin while rome burns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It is more than my girlfriend's welfare allowance for the entire year.

It wouldn't but it's a start. What myself and others dislike about this waste of tax payers money is that is indicative of a culture of greed and entitlement that still exists within our government. While they are happy to make the worst off in society suffer they continue to treat themselves at every opportunity and then have the audacity to tell us that these cuts are necessary, yet the last people to suffer are the ones who can most afford it. I have never heard of any company organizing a yearly party for past employees, it actually beggars belief and the sooner crap like that is put to an end the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

5k on a party...that's pittance compared to what they could be saving in other obvious areas...if they were capable of doing their jobs right...
    ....but obviously they are not capable of doing their jobs right...as anyone with half a brain would realise, "Hey spending 5k on a party...not even a Christmas party...that might not look so good...and right now, we're not looking so good, what with us cutting funds to those less fortunate and blatantly not giving a **** and all..."

its what it represents. they dont give a ****. they're already on the gravytrain, probably retired with PS pensions, and the country is being starved of money.

you like to think that someone was trying to save money in there instead of sucking every cent out of our pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lot of spite here, shameful really

I really don't see how anyone in this country has any faith in anyone in the government actually doing the right thing. It is obvious to me, a mere mortal on this earth, that the money they earn for doing not much at all is crazy & they should cut their own wages too...I mean duh!

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

lot of spite people unemployed here, shameful really

FYP, smugness will get you nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

emo72 wrote: »
    its crazy, its mental. there is no defending this. nero playing the violin while rome burns.

If music be the food of love, play on; TN I.I.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,309 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whatever about current employees, these types of events should be funded by the Taxpayer when the country is borrowing 15bn a year.

not spite. shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

emo72 wrote: »
    not spite. shock.

Shock? Really?

€5k out of a multi-billion euro budget.
    Get over it.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Shock? Really?

€5k out of a multi-billion euro budget.
    Get over it.

they shouldnt be wasting money like that.

shock and disgust and rage. i dont have your power to laugh it off. but fair play to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

parasites still on the take even in retirement

Advertisement