Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Sometimes the old log is a bad thing. Ive found since Ive stopped logging my runs Ive made gains on the speed side of thing. If it keeps going i might give a marathon a stab this year.

I'm with Oisin, training logs can be a bad thing at times. Then again, i don't have one so what would i know:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Sometimes the old log is a bad thing. Ive found since Ive stopped logging my runs Ive made gains on the speed side of thing. If it keeps going i might give a marathon a stab this year.

I know exactly where you are coming from. For the moment I find the benefit of having one (i.e. it keeps me honest) are just about outweighs the negatives....

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'm with Oisin, training logs can be a bad thing at times. Then again, i don't have one so what would i know:D

Great running yesterday horse. I told you you'd have no problems getting a sub 90 half, now you'll just have to go and do it officially in September ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Thanks bro, I'm taking that as a PB for now. I'll have a think about the Half in Dublin but don't see why not and the pacers will help me too. The last 2 miles was me talking to myself. I had planned to do 7.15 min/miles on average but it ended up 6.48. You've have been proud of me, i nearly collasped once i stopped beyond the finishing line.:)

It dawned on me on the road back yesterday that i'm seem to run far better on undulating courses than flat courses and all my main PBs are on this kind of course when i checked last night.

BTW, the Lakeland course would be good training for the straight roads of Berlin. Country roads through bogland and arrow straight, i was praying for bends at one stage. Would be a race to recommend if they sort out the price, way too high.

As V02 max sessions go, this was a pretty light one, so I took a jog down to marlay after work and did the speed bit ion the 1k loop near marlay house. Took about 200-300m recoveries.

The pace (min/mile) of the 600m reps were: 6'01, 6'09, 6'01, 6'06, 6'06.

I have to say this felt a little tougher than it should have been. I guess wearing the lunarglides for the first speed session in ages (normally wear the flats) made the legs feel a little heavier than normal.

Total: 9 miles

WTD 2 Runs 14.1 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|13/16|149
    Total|186/229|1681.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

This could be your target for Saturday. Pretty close to your goal anyway isnt it? I'm willing to do business on you beating this time if your up for it. It wouldnt be a race if we didnt have some kind of bet now would it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

This could be your target for Saturday. Pretty close to your goal anyway isnt it? I'm willing to do business on you beating this time if your up for it. It wouldnt be a race if we didnt have some kind of bet now would it :)

I reckon last years course looked slightly tougher than this years?
    What do you reckon Brian/Meno?

belcarra wrote: »

I reckon they are pretty similar, the hills are in different places, neither is really tough or really easy.

Brian, yeah that would be pretty similar to my target and i would be hopeful of beating it.
    I don't want to commit to a bet yet as i seem to have the beginnings a bit of a cold (could just be lethargy from coming back to work though :pac:). I'll confirm either later in the week/saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

belcarra wrote: »

Yep as meno says seems about similar to last years, 30 secs slower than a flat course i would say. That hill at the start of the last mile will be a killer. Glad i'm only using it as a training run.

No bother with holding off on any bet. Best to get the cold out of the way now rather than Berlin.

I suspected after the difficulties of yesterdays run that I wasn't 100%. Sure enough I've not been feeling great since, A Little bit blocked up around the head, a slight cold I would say. The joints are a bit achy too.

I had agreed to meet Aimman for todays run, I was planning to bail after 1 lap of Tymon if I wasn't feeling great. The pace was nice and handy though so I stayed at it and we had a nice enjoyable 10.5 miles.

I'll take tomorrow off now and take loads of lemsip between now and friday. I'll probably do a few miles on friday evening and judge from there if I'm fit to race on Saturday, if not I'll not be too worried. I started my 12 week programme a week early so i have 'a week in hand' and have a sneaky back up race planned for next week if I can't race this week.

10.5 miles
    @ 9'10 pace (132 av HR)

WTD 3 Runs 24.6 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|14/17|159.5
    Total|187/230|1692.4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

menoscemo wrote: »
    I
    I don't want to commit to a bet yet as i seem to have the beginnings a bit of a cold (could just be lethargy from coming back to work though.
    r u turning into racoon:p

ultraman1 wrote: »
    r u turning into racoon:p

:pac: No, I can't see this lasting weeks or months, maybe a few days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

:pac: No, I can't see this lasting weeks or months, maybe a few days ;)
    Years you mean:D

Update

I felt sluggish on Tuesday but better on wedensday and thursday, I was hoping it was down to just being lethargic from going back to work. By yesterday I was 80% going to run on saturday. I woke up this morning though with a feeling in my throat/chest like I had swallowed razors. For some reason my right eyelid was also swollen :confused:

I knew I had an infection so was keen to get antibiotics so they could get to work. I had a bit of a panic when I couldn't get an appointment with the GP but I eventually got him on the phone and got a prescription so I have just started the course. I haven't touched an Antibiotic for as long as I remember so they should have a quick effect. Still though, no racing tomorrow and no running on sunday either. I'll reasess how I am on Monday, but fingers crossed I should be good to go by then.

This is not a disaster as I started my 12 week programme a week early. I'll just write this week off. Still though, by Monday I'll have run only 3 days out of 10 which is hardly ideal when I should be at the peak phase in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hard luck meno. Rest up and get well soon!

Hard luck meno. Rest up and get well soon!

See you tomorrow, I'll keep an eye out for you just before the 60 minute mark ;)

I went to watch the Race on Saturday with Vaggabond. We were both saying at the time that we both felt like we could be running. Funnily enough he barely lasted 3 miles yesterday and I realised later that day that I had lost my voice due to the chest/throat infection :rolleyes:.
    I knew there was definitely something wrong when it took me the best part of two hours to get through a pint of guinness in Ryans. I left after my second and spent the rest of the day in bed.

I felt much better by sunday but resisted the urge to run a few miles given that the plan was to leave it until today.

I couldn't wait to get going today after work. the plan said 8 miles GA. I flew through the first 4 nice and handy then the legs began to really tire. the last two miles were a real slog, the tops of the thighs and the hips were particularly heavy/tired :confused:. I guess I am just not 100% over it yet. I'll try again tomorrow but at a slower pace.

6 miles @ 8'37 pace
    WTD 1 Run 6 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|15/22|164.5
    Total|188/235|1698.4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Only catching up on your log now. Sorry to hear you're not well. There must be something in the air, I haven't run since the 10mile race as I'm wiped, sore throat, cold etc.....

Anyway less of the Superman routine for you now.... take it easy and rest up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Better to take an extra day off then to push it to soon, hope you recover well. Are you taking anything for it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

From experience(lets be honest I have bloody plenty of it with this in the last 18 months or so). antibiotics tend to rip your legs to bits. Wait till you're better you won't gain anything from training while you're still ill and you won't miss anything by just resting. I've done it both ways - while continuing to train doesn't seem to prolong it, putting a stop to training while you're sick makes you comeback stronger when you get back to normal training. I jumped straight into 50+ mile weeks when I stopped training during it. If you're still not feeling even 90/95% don't bother with running, rest up.

Edit: I know you're not one for the maintainence massage but I always make sure I book one for a couple of days after the antibiotics are finished to help flush all the remaining gunk out of my system. I find it a big help, but then I swear by sports massages anyway.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Better to take an extra day off then to push it to soon, hope you recover well. Are you taking anything for it?

Cheers, I'm taking a course of antibiotics for the chest infection. I'll be finished up on Thursday I think.
    From experience(lets be honest I have bloody plenty of it with this in the last 18 months or so). antibiotics tend to rip your legs to bits. Wait till you're better you won't gain anything from training while you're still ill and you won't miss anything by just resting. I've done it both ways - while continuing to train doesn't seem to prolong it, putting a stop to training while you're sick makes you comeback stronger when you get back to normal training. I jumped straight into 50+ mile weeks when I stopped training during it. If you're still not feeling even 90/95% don't bother with running, rest up.

Edit: I know you're not one for the maintainence massage but I always make sure I book one for a couple of days after the antibiotics are finished to help flush all the remaining gunk out of my system. I find it a big help, but then I swear by sports massages anyway.

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware that Antibiotics had this effect. I thought it was in my head!! That Maintenance massage sounds like a Good Idea, I'd like to be fit and ready for sunday. I'll be in touch about that.

8 Miles recover pace
    Met Aimman for the run tonight and kept the entire run in the recovery zone (129 av HR). Legs were still abit heavy, but did not hit a wall like yesterday, so a definite improvement. I'll keep the rest of my runs this week at a recovery pace unless I feel a marked improvement.

8 miles @ 9'05 pace

WTD 2 Runs 14 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|16/23|170.5
    Total|189/236|1707.4

I went out for another slow run tonight but the legs felt much better so I threw in a Marathon paced mile (7'15) at the end. No problems. I think I might as well get back to normal training and do a medium length run tomorrow, I'll probably run home from work.

6.1 miles @8'27 av pace (140 av hr)

WTD 3 Runs 20.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|24/30|173.2
    July|28/31|269.4
    August|17/24|176.6
    Total|190/237|1713.5

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Meno are u still thinking about doing the National Half on 3rd Sept of have u knocked that on the head ???... Seriously thinking about it myself....I know it 3 weeks from Berlin but surely it wont do any harm ( or will it :confused: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

liamo123 wrote: »
    Meno are u still thinking about doing the National Half on 3rd Sept of have u knocked that on the head ???... Seriously thinking about it myself....I know it 3 weeks from Berlin but surely it wont do any harm ( or will it :confused: )

If you race it, it will do harm IMO. Using as a MP run might be an idea though.

liamo123 wrote: »

Nope, I'm definitely not racing that. I'll probably do a 20 miler that day (10 easy + 10 @PMP). I'll be doing the 10k in blessington the week after, so hope to guage where I am off that race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Was RQ offering you a "Maintenance massage" ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »

I Wonder if there'll be a happy ending ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I Wonder if there'll be a happy ending ;)

Surely the clue is in the name, if it's just a maintenance massage then there's no happy ending :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

digger2d2 wrote: »

I was going to save myself for you, then yer missus told me it'd take more than 45 minutes to get you prepared for that. Wouldn't be able to squeeze you into my busy schedule...

• Advertisement

Surely the clue is in the name, if it's just a maintenance massage then there's no happy ending :pac:

Well she did say she was going to flush the 'gunk' out :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement