Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We do better with UDFA than draft from 1st round on

You should be able to get good players in the 3rd

These are our thirds in last few years
    Owamagbe Odighizuwa
    Jam Bromley
    Damontre Moore
    Jayron Hosley
    Jerrel Jernigan

Contributions SFA

We got decent value out of Williams in 6th 2011 after that i'm looking

Williams was beyond mediocre really. Was a BC guy so TC stuck with him.

Yea those 3rd rounders are dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Williams was a system guy who was productive at BC but not able to run North and South in NFL

The BC thing is overblown. We only drafted 3 BC guys in all TC tenure

Snee and Kiwi worked out pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Interesting that Shepard is a returner, as is the RB we signed a few weeks back. I think Harris is WR2 this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Very interesting pick.. I'm liking it

Very good night's work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Some interesting picks. Hopefully we'll pick up a LB and a RB somewhere along the line.

Mayock likened Shepard to Julian Edelman

Hopefully that assessment is accurate

Good insurance policy for Cruz

Bit on small size

Thompson I like the size and Interceptions

Knock on him is he misses tackles

Not ideal

Pick is in

B.J. Goodson LB Clemson

What in hell

5th Round

Paul Perkins RB UCLA

Not sure we needed another RB

1 pick left and still no help on O line

I don't think there was ever any intention to address the OL in the draft after the first round. And to be honest I'm not sure it was a high priority. Didn't they give up like the fifth least sacks last season? I appreciate the running game was terrible but I think the committee policy was the biggest single reason for that.

All that said, hopefully we trade for Anthony Davis.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    What in hell

5th Round

Paul Perkins RB UCLA

Not sure we needed another RB

1 pick left and still no help on O line

We do need a RB tbh. Hopefully that means Williams will get cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

R.I.P Eli.

Jordan Raanan ‏@JordanRaanan 5m5 minutes ago
    Ben McAdoo on right side of OLine: 'The story has yet to be written' #giants

Jordan Raanan ‏@JordanRaanan 4m4 minutes ago
    Asked if he wants to add OL to right side, McAdoo says 'if the right somebody shows up.' #giants

So what does everyone make of the draft class as a whole? Outside of the Sheppard & Perkins picks it looks a pretty poor draft to me.

I just don't understand going DB in the 1st, it is far from our biggest need & in no mans world could Eli Apple be considered the best player on the board, even at his own position.

It's hard not to like the Sheppard pick, I'd have slightly preferred Michael Thomas but this kid looks like someone who will step in day 1 & be productive for a very long time. I'd be shocked if he had anything less than 60 catches this year.

Mykelle Thompson, Cooper Taylor, Bennett Jackson, Landon Collins & Nat Berhe. That's 6 draft picks spent on 5 safeties in the last 3 drafts before this one. Here is a suggestion, instead of wasting another pick, how about we try to develop these guys. The Darius Thompson pick on its own isn't terrible but in the context of the resources we are pumping into the position it brings player evaluation & development into serious question.

I don't know a tonne about Goodson but I have read that he is similar in style to Ragland but lacks even his athleticism or ability to read the game. If this guy ends up anything other than a special teamer I'd be surprised.

Love the Perkins pick. We can waive goodbye to Andre Williams & it protects against any regression from Jennings. Think by the start of the 2017 season this guy will be entrenched as our starter. Love the pick.

Again on Jerrell Adams I don't know a tonne, the reports give some hope but again we have shown no ability to develop raw guys.

I like all six picks :)

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I like all six picks :)

I love reading in depth analysis posts like this :pac:

Not impressed with the draft but that's really based on the selection of Apple. A lot of the best writers are defending the pick but it seems to me as if we didn't expect Floyd to be gone at that point and JR has just pulled the trigger on Apple. I don't really like judging the picks at this point as the draft is a massive lottery.

Not sure why we drafted another project safety. Why not develop the guys we have and bring in a vet? I wouldn't be against Rolle coming back in as long as his snaps are limited.

Still need to pick up a RT and find a LB to be able to compete with Dallas IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Giants were their own worst enemy with the Apple pick. It'd leaked before the draft that they liked Floyd and Conklin. No big coincidence that teams traded ahead of them so. I reckon they panicked and then took Apple who's a big reach imo.

They kind of saved themselves as the draft went on though. Love the Sterling Shepard pick and the Thompson and Adams picks were really good value too imo.

Rolle is already letting it be known he wants to come back..

Edit: Reese just said he'll look into making him fit..

Prediction is that he won't make the final squad

• Advertisement

w Adams, S, Connecticut
    Donte Deayon, CB, Boise State
    Mykel Esiobu, WR, Lakeland
    Michael Hunter, CB, Oklahoma State
    Greg Milhouse Jr., DT, Campbell
    Cedrick Lang, TE, UTEP
    Melvin Lewis, DT, Kentucky
    Roger Lewis, WR, Bowling Green
    Ryan Malleck, TE, Virginia Tech
    KJ Maye, WR, Minnesota
    Romeo Okwara, DE, Notre Dame
    Darius Powe, WR, California
    Mike Rose, DE, NC State
    Josh Woodrum, QB, Liberty

Here is our list of UDFA's to date, we have had some recent success with UDFA's in the last few years. Not terribly familiar with any of the players to be honest, might see if I can dig up a few scouting reports.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I love reading in depth analysis posts like this :pac:

;)

Honestly though what do you need? All seem like clean guys with a lot of upside and I wouldn't count any of them out of making some sort of contribution this season.

Like most of the rest of you I can only go on some highlights and what I've read but Thompson seems a perfect fit alongside Collins, I can't wait to see Shepard out there making plays, I think the running back will get a shot to impress and is probably the long-term option there once Jennings & Vereen are gone and sounds like the tight end was a good value pick at a position where we're not that strong.

But ultimately history says that at least half of the picks will be busts and we won't know which half for a couple of years so I'll save the bulk of my analysis until then :)

Seems like a lot of the criticism is for the Apple pick. I believe them that he was the next name on their list so what can you do really than give them the benefit of the doubt? With Tunsil being there on the board it guarantees that this will be an ongoing topic, as will Hargreaves' progression at Tampa Bay. I heard Apple's former College coach on the radio over the weekend saying that the criticisms of him (too much hands, not watching the ball) were exactly what they were telling him to do as opposed to being his natural game and if he can't play that way in the NFL then we're going to need to wait and see what he can do. You assume that the Giants have done their homework on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Romeo Okwara, DE, Notre Dame.

That's a Giant's Defensive End name if ever I've seen one.

Okwara sounds promising from what I've read. The UDFA receiver they picked up sounds a decent player too.

Here's a little piece on the Giants 2016 draft class. Hopefully it makes HigginsJ feel a little better :)

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/5/1/11547918/2016-nfl-draft-review-new-york-giants-invictus-sterling-shepard-jerell-adams

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Okwara sounds very decent from what I've read. The UDFA receiver they picked up sounds a decent player too.

Here's a decent piece on the Giants 2016 draft class. Hopefully it makes HigginsJ feel a little better :)

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/5/1/11547918/2016-nfl-draft-review-new-york-giants-invictus-sterling-shepard-jerell-adams

IT gave me a warm fizzy feeling inside :P Interesting read, I just can't get on board with all the picks.

I'd hate it to happen but the Sheppard pick is being so widely hailed as great that it is doomed to failure!!!

w Adams, S, Connecticut
    Donte Deayon, CB, Boise State
    Mykel Esiobu, WR, Lakeland
    Michael Hunter, CB, Oklahoma State
    Greg Milhouse Jr., DT, Campbell
    Cedrick Lang, TE, UTEP
    Melvin Lewis, DT, Kentucky
    Roger Lewis, WR, Bowling Green
    Ryan Malleck, TE, Virginia Tech
    KJ Maye, WR, Minnesota
    Romeo Okwara, DE, Notre Dame
    Darius Powe, WR, California
    Mike Rose, DE, NC State
    Josh Woodrum, QB, Liberty

Here is our list of UDFA's to date, we have had some recent success with UDFA's in the last few years. Not terribly familiar with any of the players to be honest, might see if I can dig up a few scouting reports.

So looking through the list most of these guys won't make it past rookie mini camp.

The best shots are Deayon at corner, Lewis at WR & Malleck at TE.

All 3 have plenty of upside with some obvious flaws (Deayon is small, Lewis is slow & Malleck is not a great blocker).

If I had to bet I would say that Deayon & Malleck end up on the practise squad which would be a successful UDFA class.

Knex. wrote: »
    That's a Giant's Defensive End name if ever I've seen one.

Can go one better for you, we have signed Helva Matungulu from Western Carolina. He is a 6'5, 294lb DT. He arrived in America in 2011 & was asked to join the team. He spent the 1st 2 years on the bench learning the rules. He was played on the O-Line and at TE before finally settling at DT.

To say this guy is a long shot is an understatement. He apparently ran the 40 in 4.94 seconds (a hair slower than Nkemdiche at similar size) which is decent moving for a guy his size. He has 31 tackles, 1 & 1/2 sacks along with 4 & 1/2 tackles for loss in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Today is the last Sunday without football until after the super bowl !! ����

So did anyone watch last night???

I watched bits and pieces but one thing I came away with is Nassib hasn't improved an inch since he was traded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, watched the first half. Nassib was brutal, to be honest. He had the jitters, like a QB who's been shellshocked and doesn't trust anything. Bizarre to watch. He underthrew everything, had 2 INTs, 3 fumbles, and was just not at the races at all.

Shepard is as advertised. Absolute stud. Won pretty much every route, and if Eli was at QB he'd have had far more than his one catch. Apple is all action. Did well on D and was very active on special teams. Came off with a knee injury but reports are he'll be fine. Shepard also came off with a groin injury, but he's not even getting treatment for it now so its a nonissue.

Thompson at safety plays like a pro. He sets the D up and barks out orders and is a natural leader. You'd never think he was a rookie.

The first team d-line looks ridiculous. Vernon had a few hurries in limited snaps. I don't think teams are going to be able to run the ball against that line, its insane.

Giants D as a whole looked pretty good until midway through the 2nd. They hadn't even given up a first down until that point.

Andre Williams looked a totally different player, in the few snaps we saw of him. He's got a burst now, and looked promising. Perkins looked decent, despite fumbling a handoff.

Bobby Rainey had two fumbles to live up to his notoriously poor ball security reputation.

Newhouse didn't look great against the 1s, but the rest of the line seemed fine to me. Bobby Hart looked decent against the 2s, but the rest of the backups look fairly poor, unfortunately.

Advertisement