Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

irishfeen wrote: »
    ... Yet.You would never know!

We don't but TBH its very unlikely to rebrand. What permission would they need for it to be rebranded?

It might become TV3 and in the corner apart of Virgin Media, also it suggests that Tullamore Beta etc all close up shop, I think Tullamore Beta has owned part of TV3 from day one or has been the holding company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishfeen wrote: »
    ... Yet.You would never know!

Why would they? I've yet to see a realistic reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    I think Tullamore Beta has owned part of TV3 from day one or has been the holding company.

Lots of holding companies within companies.

TV3 Television Network Ltd. is 100% owned by Tullamore Beta Ltd., they are in turn 89.3% owned by Tullamore Alpha Ltd. Their immediate parent company in Ireland is Tullamore Omega Ltd which is part of Tullamore S.à.r.l. (a Luxembourg incorporated company).

The ultimate controlling company is Luxembourg based, DHC Luxembourg IV S.à.r.l. (a Doughty Hanson general private equity fund).

DHC Limited (Doughty Hanson and Company Limited) is based in the Cayman Islands and is the ultimate parent entity of DH and all companies directly and indirectly controlled by DH (DH is a UK based private equity fund manager that directly or indirectly administers private equity and equity related investment funds on behalf of institutional and private investors).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    Want to read some ****e about TV3?

Oh god these people must be paid by TV3 to write this tripe

• Advertisement

So TV3 and Vigin Media Merger/Takeover now goes to the Minister who will make a decision "soon" ..... oh and .... The Broadcasting Policy division of the DCENR does not take an active role in a media merger when it involves the Broadcast media!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭iseegirls

3e to show the upcoming UFC Fight Night in Dublin live. This should capture a decent audience for them.

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/UFC-Fight-Night-Dublin-to-be-broadcast-live-on-3e/371426.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭deezell

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elmo
    Want to read some ****e about TV3?
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/touch-pause-engage-how-rugby-is-changing-the-face-of-irish-tv-31599447.html
    brick man wrote: »
    Oh god these people must be paid by TV3 to write this tripe

You are 100% right I'd say. I immediately posted a response in their comments box just about the rubbish low definition image, and it was taken up by a few other commentators, and guess what? the Indo closed and removed the comments, so definitely a paid for article, the kind that used to have "advertisement" printed small in the top left corner. Real journalists at the paper must beat their heads against the wall when they see this type of media manipulation.

Elmo wrote: »

Read it on Sunday. Learnt absolutely nothing from it. Nothing new.

I picked up the Sunday Indo in a Costa on Sunday - it's bloody huge and heavy - with about 7 pullouts. So there is a lot of rubbish and opinions in there - and this article was one of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Interesting to see Brian O'Donovan appear on RTÉ News tonight - when did he leave the TV3 News Department I wonder? ... always thought he was the best of the lot at TV3.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Read it on Sunday. Learnt absolutely nothing from it. Nothing new.

I picked up the Sunday Indo in a Costa on Sunday - it's bloody huge and heavy - with about 7 pullouts. So there is a lot of rubbish and opinions in there - and this article was one of many.

Seems they plagiarize each other in the sindo http://www.independent.ie/business/media/how-the-rugby-world-cup-is-changing-the-game-for-tv3-34113339.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Watching weekend am now on saorview , sound is all out of sync, tried 2 tv's and its the same on both so its not the tv's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rt%C3%A9-lose-six-nations-rights-as-tv3-takes-over-1.2425666

I expect TV3 will get the next live Irish rights to Pro-12 after 2018 and maybe some live games from the next European Cup Rugby rights after 2019
    well done to tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I suspect RTE were limited by the Licence fee and TV3 probably paid a fair whack over the odds for it. Interesting to see what will happen as by 2018 UTVIRL will either be ITV or not exist.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I would be very surprised if the European Rugby Cup ever is live on terrestrial TV again. The Pro 12 might be a possiblity but presents problems in terms of the time of day it's played (and even bigger problem that I would fully expect the next contract to be a pay-TV only one).

I suspect RTE were limited by the Licence fee and TV3 probably paid a fair whack over the odds for it. Interesting to see what will happen as by 2018 UTVIRL will either be ITV or not exist.

RTE TV were not limited, they bid but TV3 outbid them fair and square
    Niall Cogley ex rte head of sport now with TV3 knew how the bidding process worked

Ryle Nugent is going down as the worst head of rte sport ever

ftakeith wrote: »
    RTE TV were not limited, they bid but TV3 outbid them fair and square

How much did TV3 bid compare to RTÉ as you seem to think you know?

lertsnim wrote: »
    How much did TV3 bid compare to RTÉ as you seem to think you know?

I think TV3 paid 500,000euros more per year than RTEtv's bid

Source?

source for this? RTE are restrained by the fact that the Sports Department/Licence fee budget has been reduced.

• Advertisement

Source?

there is no source and there would be no source ever

So the figure you posted

was pulled from thin air?

2018 is a long time away for TV3 IMO. It will be interesting to see how TV3 hold up in 2016 and 2017. Or if TV3 HD appears on Saorview.

Would TV3 be interested in Pro-12?

so how do you know then that they paid that amount?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

He doesn't, he's been warned for trolling before and he can take a 48 hour ban next time I see it

Great news for TV3. It does seem so long away though, but it's something to aim for.

Also in a way it's good news that it's staying on free to air TV in Ireland.

And it gives RTE Sport more of a budget to look at other sporting TV rights. But in turn, it's bad news for RTE2. Those matches over the 5 weekends certainly boosted their weekends over those two months. Maybe they'll take more of an interest in the FPL 3pm games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

They may well do, but presumably Setanta will always have first-mover advantage with the BT link-up.

So the figure you posted

was pulled from thin air?
    yes it was pulled from thin air

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rt-extremely-disappointed-as-tv3-secures-six-nations-rights-from-2018-34191048.html
    It appears Ryle is disappointed they lost, Niall Cogley ex RTE head of Sport and ex setanta sport now at TV3 knew the competition from RTE was weak with Ryle.

From 2018, RTEtv Sport live, is below the total live rtetv sport:
    irish open golf
    GAA All Ireland
    ROI qualifiers
    World Cup 2018
    Euro 2020
    Horse Racing
    Dublin Horse Show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It'll be glorious in SD on saorview.

Advertisement