Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Just quoting the CCPC.
    Competition and Consumer Protection Commission clears proposed acquisition of TV3 Television Network Limited by Liberty Global plc
    2/10/2015

I don't see TV3 re-branding to Virgin unless Virgin Media plan to launch British services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't see TV3 re-branding to Virgin unless Virgin Media plan to launch British services.
    It certainly will be very interesting to see what happens with TV3 - as I said on another thread I personally think it could happen. The "Virgin" brand would then include - Two television stations, A Broadband provider, A Mobile phone carrier, A multi-television platform provider and a home phone provider.... that would be some slice of the Irish market!

irishfeen wrote: »
    It certainly will be very interesting to see what happens with TV3 - as I said on another thread I personally think it could happen. The "Virgin" brand would then include - Two television stations, A Broadband provider, A Mobile phone carrier, A multi-television platform provider and a home phone provider.... that would be some slice of the Irish market!

The problem with rebranding TV3 and 3e to Virgin 1 and 2 suggests that Virgin Media have long term plans for the broadcaster, I don't see that. TV3 will be up for sale in a few years IMO.

Interesting to see if TV3 management will change.

I must say fair used to TV3, not their biggest fan but you can't but credit them or congratulate them for this - Yesterday they achieved their highest ever viewing figures in their 17 year history.

They have listened to be fair to them from massive criticisms, apart from their lead commentator I think its now very good tbh...

From the Irish Times
    Ireland’s Rugby World Cup game against Italy on Sunday was the most-watched programme ever on TV3, beating a record held by the 2010 final of the Simon Cowell entertainment show.

An average of 956,600 viewers watched Ireland beat Italy on TV3 and secure a place in the quarter finals, according to the ratings compiled by TAM Ireland and Nielsen.
    This eclipsed the 930,500 people who watched Matt Cardle beat Rebecca Ferguson and One Direction into second and third place respectively on The X Factor in December 2010.

Some 70 per cent of people watching television yesterday afternoon were tuned into the Ireland game, which reached 1.375 million people in total. The audience peaked at 1.184 million viewers.

TV3’s commercial director Pat Kiely had predicted before the tournament began that the channel would reach its highest-ever audience. The broadcaster now hopes to set a fresh record again next Sunday when Ireland take on France in the final pool game.
    Its weekend viewing figures were also swelled by England’s defeat to Australia, which attracted an average audience of 685,800 viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What programming will they have to keep those viewers when the World Cup is over?

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    What programming will they have to keep those viewers when the World Cup is over?
    Almost nothing your right - They might enter sports rights coverage, Irish 6 nations auction begins in Jan from what I remember, 3pm PL games/highlights also up for grabs soon...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Almost nothing your right - They might enter sports rights coverage, Irish 6 nations auction begins in Jan from what I remember, 3pm PL games/highlights also up for grabs soon...

6 nations rugby more likely than the 3pm Eng Prem League on saturdays
    6 nations would a ratings winner for tv3 or virgin 1

lertsnim wrote: »

To be unfair to them they possibly achieve their lowest audience in there 2 decades on the air at some stage this year.

ftakeith wrote: »
    6 nations rugby more likely than the 3pm Eng Prem League on saturdays
    6 nations would a ratings winner for tv3 or virgin 1

When are 6 nations up for grabs?
    TV3 have a great big whole to fill and no conjecture can account for that even the idea that it might be re-branded Virgin 1.

Also they not announced any sports as big as RWC the jewel in their 2015 crown.

When are 6 nations up for grabs?
    TV3 have a great big whole to fill and no conjecture can account for that even the idea that it might be re-branded Virgin 1.

Also they not announced any sports as big as RWC the jewel in their 2015 crown.
    Bidding starts for 6 Nations in January as far as i'm aware - wouldn't be surprised to see all of them involved in the bidding - RTÉ, TV3, UTVI and TG4.

• Advertisement

Bidding starts for 6 Nations in January as far as i'm aware - wouldn't be surprised to see all of them involved in the bidding - RTÉ, TV3, UTVI and TG4.

utvi and tg4 can be counted out

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭deezell

Surely tv3 can't get the six nations after their horrendous delivery of the world cup in fuzzy vision. Images were so blurred you couldn't tell which player was which.

deezell wrote: »
    Surely tv3 can't get the six nations after their horrendous delivery of the world cup in fuzzy vision. Images were so blurred you couldn't tell which player was which.
    Its all about money at the end of the day, whoever bids the most wins and especially when is FTA v FTA broadcasters....

Why is that?

UTVI don't have the money and it could go bust or a takeover

TG4 won't get the rights as RTEtv will make sure the funds won't be there for tg4 for live 6 nations

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

TG4 isn't a part of RTE and hasn't been for eight years.

Most likely if there is a change it will be a joint bid between RTÉ, TG4, BBC and S4C.

Less likely BT get coverage and TV3 get deferred coverage.

Or when ITV buy UTV that It gets live nation coverage e.g Ireland FTA on ITV NI and RoI or Scotland FTA live on STV and Boarders no sat coverage etc with BT holding all the live rights but that's just conjecture!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

UK rights already sold, BBC and ITV joint winners.

Personally I think the Irish rights will stay with RTE, it's a flagship event for them and one I think they'll fight to keep. I don't think UTV will even bid and while I wouldn't rule out TV3 or Setanta I do think ultimately the rights will stay with RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Its all about money at the end of the day, whoever bids the most wins and especially when is FTA v FTA broadcasters....

Money is king but lets hope FTA HD is made a necessity in the bidding process.
    Unlike this travesty at the moment.

OldRio wrote: »
    Money is king but lets hope FTA HD is made a necessity in the bidding process.
    Unlike this travesty at the moment.

bbc hd and itv hd is available fta on satellite

I hope RTE2hd keeps the 6 nations live rights from 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/2012/1011/341212-rte-retain-six-nations-rights-until-2017/

2 more seasons on RTE so TV3 cant get them until at least 2018(or UTV Ireland if its still around!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

bbc hd and itv hd is available fta on satellite

I hope RTE2hd keeps the 6 nations live rights from 2017

Yes I do know BBC HD and ITV HD are fta on freesat. Unlike TV3 which is hid behind a paywall.

icdg wrote: »
    UK rights already sold, BBC and ITV joint winners.

Personally I think the Irish rights will stay with RTE, it's a flagship event for them and one I think they'll fight to keep. I don't think UTV will even bid and while I wouldn't rule out TV3 or Setanta I do think ultimately the rights will stay with RTE.

You might see ITV bid for Irish rights with RTE, keeping UTV Ireland schedule like for like. When are the 6 nations starting on ITV.

Also for TV3 2018 is way off, what have the in 2016 and 2017? nothing like RWC.

You might see ITV bid for Irish rights with RTE, keeping UTV Ireland schedule like for like. When are the 6 nations starting on ITV.

Also for TV3 2018 is way off, what have the in 2016 and 2017? nothing like RWC.

its more likely its RTE and TV3 or RTE alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Who exactly owes TV3?

The TV3 website just mentions TV3 Group

No mention of Liberty Global or VM anywhere on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Who exactly owes TV3?

The TV3 website just mentions TV3 Group

No mention of Liberty Global or VM anywhere on their site

Still owned by Doughty Hanson via a holding company Tullamore Beta (amongst others). In the process of being sold to Liberty Global via UPC/Virgin Media, the competition authority (the CPCC) gave its approval to the acquisition last Fri - http://www.ccpc.ie/enforcement/mergers/merger-notices/m15039-liberty-global-tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The Cush wrote: »
    Still owned by Doughty Hanson via a holding company Tullamore Beta (amongst others). In the process of being sold to Liberty Global via UPC/Virgin Media, the competition authority (the CPCC) gave its approval to the acquisition last Fri - http://www.ccpc.ie/enforcement/mergers/merger-notices/m15039-liberty-global-tv3

So it looks like it will be a couple of months before the deal can be finalised

So it looks like it will be a couple of months before the deal can be finalised

AFAIK know the CPCC just have to put into writing the reasons behind its decision and Doherty Hanson, Tullamore Beta, TV3 and Liberty Global have a say as to what the CPCC can publish from a commercial perspective. I think Liberty and Doherty Hanson just now put the wheels in motion for the sale. I'd say it will be completed by mid-November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So can virgin1 as it doesn't exist

• Advertisement

So can virgin1 as it doesn't exist
    ... Yet.You would never know!

Advertisement