Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I will pay €1000 for an Eircom line engineer who can fix my phone line

Options
  • 29-08-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Desperate measures.

Im in need of an Eircom line engineer to check my phone line since all the other houses on my road can get eFibre apart from me.
    Eircom will not send out an engineer to check whats wrong for me, so basically just tell me i cant get eFibre.

I have offered to pay for an engineer and they wont even let me do that.

So im posting here looking for an Eircom line engineer who can do this for me and am willing to pay him €1000 to fix my line so that I can get eFiber. Since the neighbours have it and im within 750 meters of a cabinet I think thats fair.

I offered this money to Eircom but they dont want it.

Please PM me if you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Join the club. There's nothing that can be done. Your line is probably running directly to the exchange or to a cabinet a few kilometers away.

You will probably have to wait for FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭NGC999888

Manc Red wrote: »
    Join the club. There's nothing that can be done. Your line is probably running directly to the exchange or to a cabinet a few kilometers away.

You will probably have to wait for FTTH.

Thats why i need an engineer and am willing to pay him nicely to do the job.
    Every house all around me can get eFibre apart from mine. Surely there is something an engineer can do for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Order a new phone line. No guarantee it'll be efibre capable though...

testicle wrote: »
    Order a new phone line. No guarantee it'll be efibre capable though...

I did that. They connected the same line to the house. Wouldnt listen to me when i said i wanted a new one. So of course it didnt work. Basically i got two phone lines from the same line and two bills from that effort. The problem is Eircom the company.
    Its just impossible to get through to anyone who wants to help, no matter what you tell them you will pay for.

I even told them that I would order another line and pay double, if they would guarantee that it would give me eFibre. No prizes for guessing what they said.

So thats why im now trying to bypass the company and get a skilled employee to help and to pay them well for their help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Move house.

• Advertisement

If any eircom engineer who can help sees this can you PM me.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wont happen tbh. Have you found out if you are direct fed or connected through a different copper cab?

ED E wrote: »
    Wont happen tbh. Have you found out if you are direct fed or connected through a different copper cab?

havent a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Why not get a differant provider then eircom, i'm sure you already tried just curious,

or offer your neighbour some cash and wire it from their house to yours and pay the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I was in a similar situation to you. I can see the cabinet from my house and all my neighbours had fibre. Eircom told me I couldn't get it even though my next door neighbour had it. Our estate is relatively new so the lines into our houses should be of good quality.

I rang eircom loads of times and all they said was I couldn't get it and that's that.

I drove by an eircom engineer working on the cabinet one day and had a quick chat with him about my problem. He said there was no reason why I couldn't get the fibre and the problem was likely on Eircoms system and not cables etc.

Anyway, I checked the online test every do often and finally last week it showed up an enabled. Ordered it and got the modem yesterday and it's being switched on on Wednesday. (Not going with Eircom BTW)

• Advertisement

Why not get a differant provider then eircom, i'm sure you already tried just curious,

or offer your neighbour some cash and wire it from their house to yours and pay the bill

Other providers have to go through Eircom.
    Eircoms monopoly is the bottleneck here. They wont accept my money to pay to have it fixed. They wont allow any other company to accept my ,money to pay to have it fixed.
    Its disgraceful.

No UPC in my area so cant go with them.

I dont want mobile because of the caps and the ripoffs. No 4G in the area anyway.

I thought of paying for one of the neighbours phones and BB connection and getting it wired to my house, but even if they agreed (which i dont know if they will) I still have the problem of getting it all wired up and into my house etc. I dont want to be knocking on the neighbours house to reboot a router etc so wireless isnt an option.

All I want is someone to fix the problem and I will pay for it. Eircom wont entertain that at all. Thats why I am here with €1000 cash in hand for an eircom engineer to do the job for me privately.

I was in a similar situation to you. I can see the cabinet from my house and all my neighbours had fibre. Eircom told me I couldn't get it even though my next door neighbour had it. Our estate is relatively new so the lines into our houses should be of good quality.

I rang eircom loads of times and all they said was I couldn't get it and that's that.

I drove by an eircom engineer working on the cabinet one day and had a quick chat with him about my problem. He said there was no reason why I couldn't get the fibre and the problem was likely on Eircoms system and not cables etc.

Anyway, I checked the online test every do often and finally last week it showed up an enabled. Ordered it and got the modem yesterday and it's being switched on on Wednesday. (Not going with Eircom BTW)

Ive been checking every day and ringing once a week since eFibre was launched. My exchange was enabled on fibre launch day. Neighbours had it within a month of the launch date.
    Eircom should not have this monopoly on the phone lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

NGC999888 wrote: »
    Ive been checking every day and ringing once a week since eFibre was launched. My exchange was enabled on fibre launch day. Neighbours had it within a month of the launch date.
    Eircom should not have this monopoly on the phone lines.

I gave up ringing them as I only ever got to speak to someone who all they could do or tell me was what was on their monitor.

Absolutely dreadful company to deal with.

I gave up ringing them as I only ever got to speak to someone who all they could do or tell me was what was on their monitor.

Absolutely dreadful company to deal with.

In the UK there is a scheme that if a cabinet is enabled within 2Km or so of your house they are required to connect FTTH for something like £2000.

There really needs to be something like that here. Eircom have far too much power over whether people can get BB or not. In my case its a simple case of sending someone to fix it and billing me for it, but i just cant get that through to them. There would be no cost to Eircom. I would cover the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Keep an eye in the cabinet and wait till a Kn networks van pulls up beside it, they handle the swapovers. He will not put you on it without Eircom having the job booked in but he may shed some light on the issue. Your house may be going to a different cab. He should be able to lookup with just the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

What about sharing the efibre cost with a neighbour and run a cable from them into your house?

jspuds wrote: »
    What about sharing the efibre cost with a neighbour and run a cable from them into your house?

Discussed here many times before. Needs to be done in fibre, using copper is a major fire hazard. You should never join the electrical circuits of two houses with different earths, you could be doubling the voltage if anything went wrong.

Keep an eye in the cabinet and wait till a Kn networks van pulls up beside it, they handle the swapovers. He will not put you on it without Eircom having the job booked in but he may shed some light on the issue. Your house may be going to a different cab. He should be able to lookup with just the number.

I never see anyone at that cabinet. I have seen someone at it once in the last year and a half i think.

I have already verified with Eircom that I am on the same cabinet as my neighbours. Its a line problem. The quality of my line is bad compared to the other ones. I can see them all coming from the same pole and the one coming to my house is in tatters.

Eircom wont do anything about it though no matter how much i offer to pay.

Thats why i want to pay an eircom line engineer to come out and check the line all the way up to the cabinet and replace where necessary. Ill pay him cash in hand €200 to do that and another €1000 when the eFibre is connected and working in the house.

So the way im thinking is if i can get an engineer to come out and look at the line and sort it out ill give him €200 there and then, then i can call eircom after a few days and ask them to test the line again and order eFiber off them. Obviously if he did his job this order will go through successfully and then i'll hand him €1000 into his hand and thank him very much for his help, as his bosses are not interested in helping.

Maybe it could even be done by switching my line at the cabinet with the neighbour on the other side who doesnt even know what BB is and would never be ordering it anyway, yet the line checker says they can. The lines could then be swapped at the house.

See I havent a clue. Thats why i want to pay an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Discussed here many times before. Needs to be done in fibre, using copper is a major fire hazard. You should never join the electrical circuits of two houses with different earths, you could be doubling the voltage if anything went wrong.

Interesting never knew that, what about sharing over wireless then with a wireless repeater or point to point?

jspuds wrote: »
    Interesting never knew that, what about sharing over wireless then with a wireless repeater or point to point?

Ive answered that on page one.

TBH i would rather have eFibre on my own account and not have to involve someone else account and bill etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

I would go to your neighbour with bottle of good whisky and ask to share efibre. Spend 200€ on ubiquity devices to link up with his house another 200€ for someone to set it up ( if you are close enough these radios can be just sitting in the attic) Split the bill. Win win situation and 500€ in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

In the UK there is a scheme that if a cabinet is enabled within 2Km or so of your house they are required to connect FTTH for something like £2000.

There really needs to be something like that here. Eircom have far too much power over whether people can get BB or not. In my case its a simple case of sending someone to fix it and billing me for it, but i just cant get that through to them. There would be no cost to Eircom. I would cover the cost.

Sorry but what is FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

I think you are thinking of this

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucFf0dXUIWK4XSAplAmgrRZNg5Pk%2B5%2F%2BkRgB7BL4KNYn%2FlKx2YB4Qe6YShZ82RgLO%0AGLsH2e9%2Bmw%3D%3D

Price for 2km is £6125 + £500 fixed installation cost.

Band A 0m 199m Note 2 01/05/2014 350.00
    Band B 200m 399m Note 2 01/05/2014 1,050.00
    Band C 400m 599m Note 2 01/05/2014 1,750.00
    Band D 600m 799m Note 2 01/05/2014 2,450.00
    Band E 800m 999m Note 2 01/05/2014 3,150.00
    Band F 1000m 1499m Note 2 01/05/2014 4,375.00
    Band G 1500m 1999m Note 2 01/05/2014 6,125.00
    Band H 2000m 2999m Note 2 01/05/2014 Terms On Application
    Band I 3000m 4999m Note 2 01/05/2014 Terms On Application
    Band J 5000m 7999m Note 2 01/05/2014 Terms On Application
    Band K 8000m and above Note 2 01/05/2014 Terms On Application

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Eircom wouldn't look too favourably on one of their employees or a third party doing nixers on Eircom property.
    Any Eircom lad would be risking his Job if they agreed to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It does seem crazy that they install fibre but won't replace the last few feet of badly functioning lines to houses reducing their revenue over the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

dixiefly wrote: »
    Sorry but what is FTTH?

Fibre to the Home.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Sorry but what is FTTH?

Fibre to the home, Eircom don't do Ftth, they do Fttc (fibre to the cabinet), the last part is copper

kbell wrote: »
    Eircom wouldn't look too favourably on one of their employees or a third party doing nixers on Eircom property.
    Any Eircom lad would be risking his Job if they agreed to help you.

Thats why i want to keep it between myself and the engineer. And am willing to pay well. Eircom are never to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If your line blew down in a storm they'd surely replace it then. The thing is...are you sure the line is faulty and it's not just a database problem?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    If your line blew down in a storm they'd surely replace it then. The thing is...are you sure the line is faulty and it's not just a database problem?

Dont know what it is tbh. My money is on the line though. Its been cut many times by tractor hedge cutters on the road and they just patch it back together when they fix it.. They dont replace it. But if the engineer comes out and i get fibre within the month after he comes out, then hes €1200 richer in total.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement