Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divinity Original Sin Kickstarter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not picking on you specifically Kiith but I always chuckle when I hear people say stuff like that.

Real time combat is just turn based combat sped up.....People know that right? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah i know, but being more like Baldurs Gate makes everything better imo.

Doesn't have to make sense :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kirby wrote: »
    Not picking on you specifically Kiith but I always chuckle when I hear people say stuff like that.

Real time combat is just turn based combat sped up.....People know that right? :P
    But that's exactly the point; I don't want the speed up. I want to be able to walk away, grab a snack thinking about how I want to approach the situation rather then frantically jumping between characters trying to use the right spell/skill at the right time.

It also adds tension; take the likes of XCom and after you've taken your turn you see the enemy move and vince at some of the actions they take and what they can do from that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ugh !! i unlocked the respec guy, but because i picked lone wolf its bugging out on me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Nody wrote: »
    But that's exactly the point; I don't want the speed up. I want to be able to walk away, grab a snack thinking about how I want to approach the situation rather then frantically jumping between characters trying to use the right spell/skill at the right time.

This is why I tend to eat a lot more when I'm in the middle of a game :pac:

I probably prefer true turn-based combat, but it's important to have variations. As long as the combat is good, im happy.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »

It also adds tension; take the likes of XCom and after you've taken your turn you see the enemy move and vince at some of the actions they take and what they can do from that position.

I agree with you. That's why I made the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The latest patch has added ai personalities for your characters when you're not using them: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/15/divinity-original-sin-adds-ai-personalities-in-first-official-patch/

I think it only comes into affect with new games though, as you select the ai from the character creator. But by the sounds of it, it should make talking to yourself a little more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

humanji wrote: »
    The latest patch has added ai personalities for your characters when you're not using them: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/15/divinity-original-sin-adds-ai-personalities-in-first-official-patch/

I think it only comes into affect with new games though, as you select the ai from the character creator. But by the sounds of it, it should make talking to yourself a little more interesting.

Can't you change character stuff in your Homestead? Might work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

humanji wrote: »
    I think it only comes into affect with new games though, as you select the ai from the character creator.

Very first line of the release notes indicates it is compatible with save games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah, didn't have time to read the notes yet. Good to hear.

• Advertisement

No fix for the lone wolf bug.you can edit personalitys in your home steads bed room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

My god I am finding
    Braccus Rex
    tough going. Any tips for him? My party is all around lv 9, using a fighter, knight, and two mages.

I killed the lava guy first, then teleported the poison dude into the lava he leaves behind for an insta-kill. That and drinking loads of fire resist potions right before the fight starts

You know what this game doesn't have? Quest direction arrows.

You know what this game doesn't need? Quest direction arrows.

Kirby wrote: »
    You know what this game doesn't have? Quest direction arrows.

You know what this game doesn't need? Quest direction arrows.

It's a game partially funded by Kickstarter and created specifically for PC. They made it how PC gamers wanted it to be ;)

One thing though, they should make crucial quest items unsellable. I sold
    Leandra's Spell
    to a random NPC by accident (it kind of looks like an earth magic scroll) and realised hours later I didnt have it so I had to reload an earlier autosave. Luckily the game keeps multiple autosaves :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 trainslaughing

It's a very very good game. The story and writing and as compelling as ye classics of yore but it has captured a lot of what made them great.

My main bone of contention is the camera. The zoom function feels somewhat crippled and I just wish there was a smart camera to save me from constantly using the rotate function(which is very useful in certain situations itself).

The other annoying omission is that you can click an area on the local map and then have the camera snap to that location. Constantly scrolling the map to find where you're going is a little disorientating at times, especially when you consider the aforementioned camera issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Man GoG suck. They haven't released the latest patch on it's own, instead I have to download the entire game again and reinstall!

If you want to do some crafting hire a hench man. Tell him to leave the group, then get him to rejoin to match your level and just get him into your party when u want to craft stuff

I'm not sure if I should buy this or not. I didn't like Baldurs Gate to be honest. It was too complex and didn't hold my attention. Is this more, for the want of a better word, more noob friendly? I'd be more accustomed to Final Fantasy style RPG's

I'm not sure if I should buy this or not. I didn't like Baldurs Gate to be honest. It was too complex and didn't hold my attention. Is this more, for the want of a better word, more noob friendly? I'd be more accustomed to Final Fantasy style RPG's

The main differrence is D:OS isn't based on DnD. So you dont have to familiarise yourself with 'Saving Throws' and 'THAC0 and that stuff. I would say it is definitely more noob friendly and not as complex. It's still pretty epic though and the combat is simple to grasp and remains fulfilling throughout the game. I recommend it if you like RPGs in general (although it's nothing like Final Fantasy :p)

Also the stats have pretty good explainations of what they actually do, unlike some games.

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    The main differrence is D:OS isn't based on DnD. So you dont have to familiarise yourself with 'Saving Throws' and 'THAC0 and that stuff. I would say it is definitely more noob friendly and not as complex. It's still pretty epic though and the combat is simple to grasp and remains fulfilling throughout the game. I recommend it if you like RPGs in general (although it's nothing like Final Fantasy :p)

Also the stats have pretty good explainations of what they actually do, unlike some games.

Sounds perfect for me in that regard. Is it heavily item centric a la Diablo 2? I never liked that game and it looks somewhat similar

• Advertisement

Sounds perfect for me in that regard. Is it heavily item centric a la Diablo 2? I never liked that game and it looks somewhat similar

While there is lots of loot in the game, that is about the only similarity it has with Diablo 2.

While there is lots of loot in the game, that is about the only similarity it has with Diablo 2.

Diablo 2 became a loot simulator in its so called late game. Bored me to tears.

Very good. I shall purchase it at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I was on the fence as I'd never really played a game like this before apart from an attempt at BG1 which did nothing for me but this game is amazing, I'm about 30 hours in now and loving it.

I would wait to be honest. If you aren't sure you will like a game, don't pay full price for it. It will probably be half price by the next steam sale and sure then there is less risk. Paying 40 quid for a game you play once and then throw away is heart breaking.

If you didn't like BG and Diablo there is a chance you wont like this. It's not noob friendly.

Anyone else getting the feeling they've done things in a strange order? I spent ages on the
    Mangoth
    fights which were such a nightmare as the dudes were lvl 14 and I was only 11 so hitting them was difficult and now that I have the exp and loot from those fights, I'm just destroying everything else in the area :D

New favourite combos: Haste(forget the actual name of the spell) on warrior into Battering Ram and Whirlwind. Especially if you get a lot of knockdowns with battering ram and you have the Bully talent.

Also, using Tactical Retreat as a means to get up close and then 'shotgunning' with Arrow Spray.

New favourite combos: Haste(forget the actual name of the spell) on warrior into Battering Ram and Whirlwind. Especially if you get a lot of knockdowns with battering ram and you have the Bully talent.

Also, using Tactical Retreat as a means to get up close and then 'shotgunning' with Arrow Spray.

A favourite of mine is to have my two mages sneak up to enemies as close as they can go, lay down an oil slick, teleport an enemy onto it, hit them with fire, and then hit them with poison. Usually drop the teleport stone to somewhere close by so my melee can get right in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A friend of mine picked this up for €18 last night, played some co-op with him and it is actually quite fun with 2 players.

Question about the 2nd area (where Silverglen is):
    A good while back I wandered into some area with loads of spiders, got pretty much destroyed, and moved onto other areas. I'm a few levels higher now but I have no quests or anything that seem to take me to that location, are there any quests I can pick up or is the area worth exploring?

Question about the 2nd area (where Silverglen is):
    A good while back I wandered into some area with loads of spiders, got pretty much destroyed, and moved onto other areas. I'm a few levels higher now but I have no quests or anything that seem to take me to that location, are there any quests I can pick up or is the area worth exploring?
    Everything is worth exploring :) Have you done the Mines and Witch's Cabin quests yet? After that I'd suggest doing the Infiltrate the Immacualtes quest (look for a large skull shaped cave to the north west of the map in the sandy area) Also, I made the mistake of porting back to town before activating the Sacred Stone portal (when you exit the mines after confronting Leandra I think), which locked me out of that part of the map. Turns out you can teleport across the river to it at that weird camp with the minstrel and the storyteller to the north near the goblin village.

• Advertisement

Everything is worth exploring :) Have you done the Mines and Witch's Cabin quests yet? After that I'd suggest doing the Infiltrate the Immacualtes quest (look for a large skull shaped cave to the north west of the map in the sandy area) Also, I made the mistake of porting back to town before activating the Sacred Stone portal (when you exit the mines after confronting Leandra I think), which locked me out of that part of the map. Turns out you can teleport across the river to it at that weird camp with the minstrel and the storyteller to the north near the goblin village.

Yeah I have done all that, I've actually just arrived at
    Hunter's Edge
    . I just remembered there was a chunk of the map I seemed to not have any quests in.

Advertisement