Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divinity Original Sin Kickstarter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Spunge wrote: »
    Is this more like divine divinity or divinity 2 ?

Divine Divinity, nothing like 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Hay i seen in videos people had a group of 4, but in my game i can only have 3 and i cant find any info on it. Is this because i started the game in multiplayer mode ? or can your group only be a max of 3 people ?

Edit - feck that its because i picked the lone wolf trait doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Eurogamer review here.

As someone who completely missed the original Divinity games, how do they hold up now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

gizmo wrote: »
    As someone who completely missed the original Divinity games, how do they hold up now?

I've only played the original which is Diablo-esque combat wise (click-fest) but more open world rpg in most other ways. I enjoyed it a lot. Beyond Divinity (the second) is supposedly more of the same although not as highly regarded. I also got Divinity 2 from gog a while back but haven't really had a chance to play it yet. Supposed to be very good. Unlike the two original games and the new game Divinity 2 is a third person arpg. Gog is always a good place to read reviews for old games and get an idea of how it plays etc. Original Sin being turn based is quite literally Larian finally doing the game they wanted to do as right in the beginning they wanted to go turn based for combat but were pressured by their publisher to do the "Diablo" thing since it was so popular.

• Advertisement

This a lot like the baldurs gate series, best rpg i played in ages. loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Have to say this looks great, I have no idea why I didn't back it on Kickstarter though :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Some good starter tips in these videos - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL03cYEfADVmMchaeJ1WyhaQZaa-YWd3VZ - nothing spoilerific to my eyes but if you hate any kind of info. on a game then obviously avoid. It's general tips really but very useful if you want to have an idea on starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finally got stuck into this, really enjoying it so far, miss the old days of the likes of NWN, Icewind Dale, Bladurs Gate and Ultima.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I can see that many people are fans of the gameplay style, harking back to the great old-school RPGs, but what is the story/setting like? I was very, very underwhelmed by the highly-rated Dragon Age:Origins, and to be honest am not a fan of the world or confusing narrative of the Witcher games either - really want to play a game with a great story again!

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote: »
    I can see that many people are fans of the gameplay style, harking back to the great old-school RPGs, but what is the story/setting like? I was very, very underwhelmed by the highly-rated Dragon Age:Origins, and to be honest am not a fan of the world or confusing narrative of the Witcher games either - really want to play a game with a great story again!

It's far too early for me to pass any judgement on the story here as a whole but in terms of tone it's more light-hearted than Dragon Age/Witcher and a more colourful world which suits me fine since so many games these days are going "Dark/Gritty" tm.

Alongside that it's worth noting that Sven, the main guy at Larian, is a confessed Ultima nut and it's probably no co-incidence that at the very start of the game (very minor)
    you are tasked with solving a murder
    . How it will all pan out story wise I have no idea but so far I'm not bored and keen to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

ionapaul wrote: »

Its one of those games that will seem pretty average story wise unless you are willing to get into the lore and read the in-game books, have non-essential conversations with NPCs etc. Having said that, the story didn't really grab me in the way Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Fallout did but it was still ok with some interesting twists. The game shines in its great combat and character customisation (although I wish the traits had a more profound effect on your character like some of the perks in the Fallout games). I thought the 2 main character idea was great. The NPC companions could have been a bit more fleshed out (Bioware are the true masters at this) but at least they had some personality.

Really liking this. It doesn't hold your hand at all.

A quick note if you are thinking of buying this. On steam you get the usual crap euro to dollar thing but if you buy on gog.com they are living up to their fair price promise. i.e. they give you vouchers to make up for the difference (basically Larian force gog to charge the same euro as dollars but they do this to even it up). With this fair price thing, which is on all gog games where they are forced to price like this, you will always be better off buying on gog, than steam.

I bought mine from GoG, only thing I don't like is the patches are slightly delayed and I can't have my game automatically update always have to check the GoG website.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

My god I am finding
    Braccus Rex
    tough going. Any tips for him? My party is all around lv 9, using a fighter, knight, and two mages.

My god I am finding
    Braccus Rex
    tough going. Any tips for him? My party is all around lv 9, using a fighter, knight, and two mages.

I found him hard first two tries, basically just
    send one melee to the poison guy, one to the fire guy, keep them spread out so the aoe wont nuke your guys down heal with your mage or dps what ever it does, once you kill the 3 mini boss guys you can kill braccus easy enough
    Also if you dont have it try get it asap Earth shield !!

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I found him hard first two tries, basically just
    send one melee to the poison guy, one to the fire guy, keep them spread out so the aoe wont nuke your guys down heal with your mage or dps what ever it does, once you kill the 3 mini boss guys you can kill braccus easy enough
    Also if you dont have it try get it asap Earth shield !!

I actually managed to kill the three other guys but then the main boss uses his nuke attack and kills a couple of my chars. I guess I'm too close together.

I meant fortify earth skill, its great for soaking up big hits.

Finally got him, thanks for the help. Summoned a spider to deal with the poison guy, he isn't able to damage the spider.

• Advertisement

A tactic I use for a lot of fights is to initiate them by summoning a minion at max range. This pretty much gives you an extra turn as all the enemies try to focus it down then get a magic user to go teleport troublesome enemies into range of your fighters so they can unload and kill it immediately. Sometimes if the enemy is a lot of melee they will surround the minion (I find the spider or earth elemental is the most durable so far) and then you can just poison/fire aoe and finish off with arrows/ricochet. Not many will survive that. Glass Canon is so good for mages/archers :) Also, has anyone noticed that arrows that cause status effects seem to be resisted a lot less than spells that do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 flim_flam

I always use the summon spider, in basically every fight, he is awesome.

Can you buy the teleport spell anywhere? Have it on Jahan but would like it for Scarlett too.

Also is there a poison AOE spell?

The teleport spell should be available from air spell vendors. Ooze spray and spore cloud (I think thats what its called) are poison aoe and I believe boulder bash aswell, probably more in the later game but those are the ones I've come across so far. I tend to just use poison cloud arrows though.

I use the summon wolf spell more since it has a lot of ap and its attack cost is fairly low and it does nice damage.

I bought mine from GoG, only thing I don't like is the patches are slightly delayed and I can't have my game automatically update always have to check the GoG website.

Yeah it's a problem but hopefully gog galaxy will fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JaffOs

flim_flam wrote: »
    I always use the summon spider, in basically every fight, he is awesome.

Can you buy the teleport spell anywhere? Have it on Jahan but would like it for Scarlett too.

Also is there a poison AOE spell?
    +1
    I am an arachnophobe but I too think he is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Had the day off work today, started playing around 11.00 and have only dragged myself away from the game now, it makes me want to go back and play all the old classics again.

Xenji wrote: »
    Had the day off work today, started playing around 11.00 and have only dragged myself away from the game now, it makes me want to go back and play all the old classics again.

I think I'm done with the classics at this stage :P Replayed a lot of them as they came available on gog. But, its the start of a good time for these sort of RPGs, with Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity on the horizon and Numenera after that. Hopefully they all keep up the standard that D:OS has set. Plus it'll be interesting to see what the community comes up with. The fan-made content for Shadowrun Returns was great and really added to the longevity of the game.

Yeah if anything this has just upped my anticipation for PoE and Numenara!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Quite enjoying it as well. Still only in the first town after restarting (didn't like the Fighter, so i rolled a Ranger / Wizard). Also wanted the perk to allow me to talk to animals...who wouldn't want that afterall :P. The amount of stuff you can do is pretty mental.

I do kind of wish it was more of a Baldur's Gate style combat though...i've always preferred real time (with pauses). Still enjoyable though.

Advertisement