Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convict Conditioning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

luckylucky wrote: »
    I've pretty much read all that pdf today - I really like it and his whole philosophy. Pretty much the kind of thing I was looking for. Could do with some other stuff thrown in though to shift some body fat.

I do the Convict Conditioning twice or three times a week (depending on time) as well as boxing on a Wednesday night, kick-boxing on a Friday night, one 8km run during the week, one 16km cycle during the week and 2 hours weights on a Monday. I started it all in January and I've lost my belly (it wasn't bad anyway) and toned up a good bit, and getting pretty fit too. There's a load you can do mate. How about doing something like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've pretty much read all that pdf today - I really like it and his whole philosophy. Pretty much the kind of thing I was looking for. Could do with some other stuff thrown in though to shift some body fat.

The only thing you need to "throw in" is a better diet tbh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I do the Convict Conditioning twice or three times a week (depending on time) as well as boxing on a Wednesday night, kick-boxing on a Friday night, one 8km run during the week, one 16km cycle during the week and 2 hours weights on a Monday. I started it all in January and I've lost my belly (it wasn't bad anyway) and toned up a good bit, and getting pretty fit too. There's a load you can do mate. How about doing something like that?

Yeah that sounds like a good mix alright - a bit too much for me at my current fitness state but I get the picture. I'm going to look up into taking up a martial art - I think they have Karate in my local town here - if it's not full of kids I'll probably take that up. Going to aim to walk every day and for longer - rather than every other day and not usually for too long like I do now. If I can shed a few pounds I might try to do some running - a bit wary of running due to old knee injuries and the high impact nature of running though. Cycling sounds good -but don't have bike and not exactly flush with cash at the minute to buy one - but defo worth thinking about.

I was also thinking of doing the exercises in the book a bit more frequently than he suggests. The first level by and large seems very easy and I don't think I'd be at all tired if I do the stuff every day. Though I do note he says 'Muscles adapt quicker than joints. This routine gives the soft tissues-which are new to this type of work-enough time off to catch up.' ..... so maybe take 2 days off... does that sound reasonable?
    Hanley wrote: »
    The only thing you need to "throw in" is a better diet tbh!!

Defo need to work on my diet. I actually eat quite a lot of healthy food, the problem is I also eat a lot of junk - particularly breads and sweet stuff - so if those two things alone go that'll be a big improvement alone - obviously a bit more fine tuning of what I eat might be needed as well.

Sounds like you have your head screwed on and some good ideas. A couple of things though....
    Yeah that sounds like a good mix alright - a bit too much for me at my current fitness state but I get the picture.

Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can! I'm 41 and have smoked since I was 11/12 and never did any sort of activity. What I do now, I have built up to in the last two months.
    I might try to do some running - a bit wary of running due to old knee injuries and the high impact nature of running though.

I was in the exact same frame of mind as I have a bad knee injury from a parachute accident years ago, but I eased myself into it. I did 2km the first day. Jogged 500m, walked 500m, jogged 500m, walked 500m and slowly built myself up. Again, in two months I went from that to doing 8km straight now! Also, with the Convict Conditioning, it will help strengthen your knee IMO and help you with your running.
    Cycling sounds good -but don't have bike and not exactly flush with cash at the minute to buy one - but defo worth thinking about.

Again, I'm out of work so in a similar situation, but went down to the local bike shop and bought a second hand mountain bike for €80. Also, keep an eye on Adverts.ie you'd pick one up cheap enough (sub €100) in there. It'd certainly do you for what you need.
    I was also thinking of doing the exercises in the book a bit more frequently than he suggests. The first level by and large seems very easy and I don't think I'd be at all tired if I do the stuff every day. Though I do note he says 'Muscles adapt quicker than joints. This routine gives the soft tissues-which are new to this type of work-enough time off to catch up.' ..... so maybe take 2 days off... does that sound reasonable?

Yep, sounds reasonable enough, but just think about jumping ahead. If you read the book, Wade suggests that even if you find something easy, NOT to jump ahead of yourself as your muscles need to get used to the routines and build up to what will be the Master Step.
    Defo need to work on my diet. I actually eat quite a lot of healthy food, the problem is I also eat a lot of junk - particularly breads and sweet stuff - so if those two things alone go that'll be a big improvement alone - obviously a bit more fine tuning of what I eat might be needed as well.

Pffft, meet your brother!! I'm addicted to Haribo jellies and Wispa bars!! In fairness, since I started all this, I eat a LOT more fruit than I ever used to, and a lot more brown rice, chicken etc. But I think you're allowed a cheat day, where I just take the piss and order a Dominos, a Chinese, drink 2 litres of Coke and eat lots of sweets and chocolate over the course of the day. I shouldn't, but I'm weak! LOL

Cheers please kill me
    Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can! I'm 41 and have smoked since I was 11/12 and never did any sort of activity. What I do now, I have built up to in the last two months.

Well I'm 41 also :) .. don't know if you saw that from the thread i posted a few days ago.
    I was in the exact same frame of mind as I have a bad knee injury from a parachute accident years ago, but I eased myself into it.....
    Sounds good. I'll probably do a bit of running alright. I'll probably try to ease myself into it even a bit slower than what you did tbh. Going to see if I can drop a few pounds first. Maybe I'll wait a month. This is for the long haul so no huge rush - just as long as things are moving in the right direction.
    Again, I'm out of work so in a similar situation, but went down to the local bike shop and bought a second hand mountain bike for €80. Also, keep an eye on Adverts.ie you'd pick one up cheap enough (sub €100) in there. It'd certainly do you for what you need.

I'm based in Portugal so adverts.ie is out for me i'm afraid :p. I'll probably skip the bike for the time being but if I get a bit more money together I'll buy one then. Hope you find some work soon (if that's what you want) btw.
    Yep, sounds reasonable enough, but just think about jumping ahead. If you read the book, Wade suggests that even if you find something easy, NOT to jump ahead of yourself as your muscles need to get used to the routines and build up to what will be the Master Step.
    Yeah won't overdo it, but need to get doing stuff so I'll probably do a bit more than he recommends for a raw beginner. I'm unfit but I'm not like morbidly obese unfit - first level seems very easy - except for the shoulderstand squats - which seems dangerous to me for a beginner anyway - I'll probably skip that step and move on to step 2.
    I think you're allowed a cheat day, where I just take the piss and order a Dominos, a Chinese, drink 2 litres of Coke and eat lots of sweets and chocolate over the course of the day. I shouldn't, but I'm weak! LOL

Jaysus - lol - that sounds like a convict getting out of jail splurge. tbh that probably wouldn't work for me. I'm a creature of habit - if I went nuts on chocs on 1 day I'd be wanting them again the next. Guess my treat day, might just involve going out for a meal and not overly paying focus on what I eat - bar sweet stuff.

Well I'm 41 also :) .. don't know if you saw that from the thread i posted a few days ago.

Apologies, I never copped it.
    Sounds good. I'll probably do a bit of running alright. I'll probably try to ease myself into it even a bit slower than what you did tbh. Going to see if I can drop a few pounds first. Maybe I'll wait a month. This is for the long haul so no huge rush - just as long as things are moving in the right direction.

Well, just go at your own pace, no point making yourself feel worse by pushing too hard.
    I'm based in Portugal so adverts.ie is out for me i'm afraid :p. I'll probably skip the bike for the time being but if I get a bit more money together I'll buy one then. Hope you find some work soon (if that's what you want) btw.

Ah, never copped that either. Sorry. Still, I'm sure you'll get sorted.

Oh God yeah, I've worked all my life, I need to be busy/active. I think I have a part-time job sorted (2 days a week) it's better than nothing!
    Yeah won't overdo it, but need to get doing stuff so I'll probably do a bit more than he recommends for a raw beginner. I'm unfit but I'm not like morbidly obese unfit - first level seems very easy - except for the shoulderstand squats - which seems dangerous to me for a beginner anyway - I'll probably skip that step and move on to step 2.

I thought the shoulderstand squats were ok in fairness, but again - do wat you feel comfortable with. Step 2 is the jack-knife squats which you don't need balance for.
    Jaysus - lol - that sounds like a convict getting out of jail splurge. tbh that probably wouldn't work for me. I'm a creature of habit - if I went nuts on chocs on 1 day I'd be wanting them again the next. Guess my treat day, might just involve going out for a meal and not overly paying focus on what I eat - bar sweet stuff.

Nah, that's just my appetite, I'm a pig!! LOL. For instance, I've just had my lunch which was 6 boiled eggs, half a sliced pan toasted, a litre of milk and a packet of biccys. :rolleyes: LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Since a couple of people mentioned wanting to throw some running into the mix, check out couch to 5k. Like cc, it starts off slowly to let you get going. Quick google will find it and if you have a.smartphone you'll find lots of apps offeri.g notification alerts while running.

Other thoughts, I skipped the shoulderstand too and moved straight to jackknife squats. I'll likely move back to them when I feel my balance/coordination is coming along better.

Nevore wrote: »
    Since a couple of people mentioned wanting to throw some running into the mix, check out couch to 5k. Like cc, it starts off slowly to let you get going.

Cheers Nevore, had a look at it - sounds like it's a good plan. I'll give it a go.
    btw my runners are only cross trainers - not a dedicated running shoe - are they ok for doing this do you reckon or am I better off with a dedicated running shoe?
    FWIW I'll actually be running on dust tracks here so that might have some bearing on it.

I'm of the opinion that whatever is to hand will do. For a long time I let my lack of -running shoes, barbells, or whatever hold me back. "oh, I can't work out until I have x or y"

So use the cross trainers for now, get running shoes if/when you need/afford them.

That's why I like convict conditioning. I have no excuses for not doing it cause it needs no equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I've just started reading this today, but am pretty confident I'll be giving the program a shot (I've started looking around for a pull-ups location!).

But as someone with no real knowledge of exercise/fitness, I'm wondering what some of the experts here on boards make of Wade's writing? It struck me that he makes a lot of claims about how modern exercise and fitness training do more harm than good. Just as one example, re: bench pressing, he says it
    destroys the rotator cuff muscles as well as irritating the elbow and wrist joints when performed over even short periods.
    When talking about modern sportsmen/women, he says
    most of the top guys (whether you believe it or not) only achieve their (temporarily) high level of ability due to performance drugs such as anabolic steroids, testosterone variants, growth hormone, insulin and numerous other substances.
    Basically I'm just wondering what you all think of these claims? So far in the book, I haven't seen the author quote any external references to back up his assertions. Just wondering if this type of writing undermines the message he's trying to get out? I understand that he's got a product to sell. Hell, I understand that the author himself may be a work of fiction! But essentially, I'm just looking for the opinions of guys/gals in the know about these things... In other words, what do you think of a) the program itself and b) the book as a whole?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

I've just started reading this today, but am pretty confident I'll be giving the program a shot (I've started looking around for a pull-ups location!).

But as someone with no real knowledge of exercise/fitness, I'm wondering what some of the experts here on boards make of Wade's writing? It struck me that he makes a lot of claims about how modern exercise and fitness training do more harm than good. Just as one example, re: bench pressing, he says it

Basically I'm just wondering what you all think of these claims? So far in the book, I haven't seen the author quote any external references to back up his assertions. Just wondering if this type of writing undermines the message he's trying to get out? I understand that he's got a product to sell. Hell, I understand that the author himself may be a work of fiction! But essentially, I'm just looking for the opinions of guys/gals in the know about these things... In other words, what do you think of a) the program itself and b) the book as a whole?

The program is solid, the rest of it is just marketing fluff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm gonna call him a d*ckhead based solely off the crap he's saying to sell his book.

I've never even read it, but these things are so faddy. Over the years it's been Smolov, Sheiko, 5/3/1, Westside for Skinny B*stards, Built like a bad*ss and now it's Convict Conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hell, I understand that the author himself may be a work of fiction!
    Some of the workout claims are fiction too, so he has people chasing impossible goals. I posted before...

-the writer also claims to have done a dozen freestanding one arm handstand pushups. A gymnastics coach for the US team said he has never witnessed or heard of any person capable of a single one, even with support, let alone 12 freestanding. The same coach knows a guy that did 163 free standing full ROM HSPU on parrallel bars. The guy who runs beastskills is in the photos in the book and shows him apparently doing them(with support), but I think he admitted he could not do them.

The problem with this is they list doing 1 as a "beginner standard" so people might be training hard to try and acheive something that nobody might have ever done before.

There seems to be a big problem in the fitness world. As a newbie (besides doing running and some sports when i was younger (many moons ago :() to the fitness world it gets to the stage where you don't know who or what to believe. All these book sellers and fitness program sellers are just trying to sell a product at the end of the day - some sellers are conscientious I'm sure whereas others may not be - hard to tell who's who though. Also since a lot of this stuff is written with the US Market in mind you get the obligatory repeating of annoying marketing type/brainwashing stuff.

I've read numerous stuff over the past couple of weeks to do with both nutrition and exercise, some of it very contradictory.

so at this stage I'm just settling for the advice which seems to suit me best, whether it does or not is an entirely different matter, but marketing blurb aside Convict conditioning seems like a very good and simple program to condition your body - there might be better - but it's the only one I've read so far. Also a big plus is you can do calisthenics practically anywhere - so they are handy routines to know.

Really from my point of view anyway I think the most important thing is to just start getting up of your ar$e and do something and eat less junk.

Really from my point of view anyway I think the most important thing is to just start getting up of your ar$e and do something and eat less junk.

Excuse my split infinitives, but abso-friggin'-lutely!!!! :D

• Advertisement

colon wrote: »
    Mr. Please Kill Me. Any chance of a link there please for another decrepit near 40 year old that needs a bit of direction.

No problem, I'll PM you now chief. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,602 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    -the writer also claims to have done a dozen freestanding one arm handstand pushups. A gymnastics coach for the US team said he has never witnessed or heard of any person capable of a single one, even with support, let alone 12 freestanding. The same coach knows a guy that did 163 free standing full ROM HSPU on parrallel bars. The guy who runs beastskills is in the photos in the book and shows him apparently doing them(with support), but I think he admitted he could not do them.
    I think it was you that posted this before. Prob the closest you'll get to a one handed HSPU

FAAK! Strength and balance. I have neither! I'm f**ked so! PMSL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Please Kill Me, could I trouble you for that link please? :)

CountryJoe wrote: »
    Please Kill Me, could I trouble you for that link please? :)

PM on the way chief. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Much appreciated man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

Hello Please Kill Me,

could you please send me that link as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

henryd65 wrote: »
    Hello Please Kill Me,

+ 1 much appreciated.

Cheers

henryd65 wrote: »
    Hello Please Kill Me,

Bartyman wrote: »
    + 1 much appreciated.

Cheers

Gone out to ye now lads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ConorBuckley99

Just wondering if anyone here has continued with the program for a decent period of time? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it after using it for a while.

Just wondering if anyone here has continued with the program for a decent period of time? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it after using it for a while.

I'm only at it a couple of months. I'm about to go onto the progression level on stage 2 and I reckon onto stage 3 next month. When I started, I couldn't do one pull-up. I can do three sets of ten now, no bother. I also find it good for strengthening your back (I have a sh!tty back from an accident years ago). So in a nutshell, I find it good. Ask me again in a couple of months when I should be on stage 4. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Gone out to ye now lads. :)

Hey Please Kill Me, can you send me on that link too? I've been looking for the download for ages where i don't have to put credit card details into an unknown site.

Much appreciated.

Hey Please Kill Me, can you send me on that link too? I've been looking for the download for ages where i don't have to put credit card details into an unknown site.

Much appreciated.

No worries man, I'll send it onto ya now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Please Kill Me,
    any chance I can annoy you for a link too....pretty please?:)

gymfreak wrote: »
    Please Kill Me,
    any chance I can annoy you for a link too....pretty please?:)

Oh go on then. I'll send it now man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

As chance of a link as well, sounds awesome

Funk It wrote: »
    As chance of a link as well, sounds awesome

No worries, I'll send it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bondie

Can you send me that link too, much appreciated!

Bondie wrote: »
    Can you send me that link too, much appreciated!

On the way chief....

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Gra246

Could you kindly send me the link also .... sending lots of appreciation in advance. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Gra246 wrote: »
    Could you kindly send me the link also .... sending lots of appreciation in advance. :D

+1 I'd really appreciate a copy as well, thanks!

Gra246 wrote: »
    +1 I'd really appreciate a copy as well, thanks!

No worries lads, on the way now. :D

I moved onto the Progression Level of Step 2 this week, I reckon onto Step 3 in the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

I moved onto the Progression Level of Step 2 this week, I reckon onto Step 3 in the next week or two.
    Nice! :)

I'm moving slowly through step 2 on pushups & leg lifts, and 1.5 on pull-ups (ring pulls, using this http://i.imgur.com/reSU0.jpg), usually increasing reps by 10% every week, with every 4th week off for recovery, beside that I'm back to running since April. Sticking to step 1 on bridges for a while, but at progression level of step 6 on squats :D

Also doing few exercises from CC2:
    • fingertip push-ups - just keep it easy at 3*10 on the wall once a week
    • grip work - got to 4*60 sec of bar hang
    • calf rises - step 1, 4*80 reps, adding 10 every week
    You can see my log on http://www.fitocracy.com/profile/meijin/

PS can we get the thread cleaned of the link requests, and can people just PM "Please Kill Me" please? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Nice piece of kit. Where did you pick that up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Nice piece of kit. Where did you pick that up ?
    pull-up bar from elverys, rings from d8fitness

meijin wrote: »
    Nice! :)

I'm moving slowly through step 2 on pushups & leg lifts, and 1.5 on pull-ups (ring pulls, using this http://i.imgur.com/reSU0.jpg), usually increasing reps by 10% every week, with every 4th week off for recovery, beside that I'm back to running since April. Sticking to step 1 on bridges for a while, but at progression level of step 6 on squats :D

Also doing few exercises from CC2:
    • grip work - got to 4*60 sec of bar hang
    • fingertip push-ups - just keep it easy at 3*10 on the wall once a week
    • calf rises - step 1, 4*80 reps, adding 10 every week
    You can see my log on http://www.fitocracy.com/profile/meijin/

Good stuff!! When I'm doing the CC, I also incorporate pull ups. I do 3 sets of 10 with a front grip and three sets of 10 with a reverse grip. Something I couldn't do when I started, so YAY!! :D
    meijin wrote: »
    PS can we get the thread cleaned of the link requests, and can people just PM "Please Kill Me" please? :p

Yeah, not a bad idea in fairness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Please Kill Me could I get a link too pretty please:o

Can a woman do this workout too without turning into The Incredible Hulk? :D

ziggy23 wrote: »

To quote:
    g'em wrote:
    Doing weights will not bulk women up. Women just don't have the testosterone level needed to pack on that much muscle. The majority, if not all, female bodybuilders, take hormones to increase their size- it's NOT natural. Weights will however, tone you, increase your metabolism therefore helping you burn more fat even when sedentary, improve your posture, slow the aging process, reduce the risk of osteoperosis, make you stronger less prone to injury.
    Ok, you won't be using actual weights, but you will be lifting and pushing etc your own bodyweight.

Oh and PM sent, to save poor Please Kill Me from burning out his pm button!

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Please Kill Me could I get a link too pretty please:o

Hopefully you got the link from Nevore (thanks) and to answer your question, no you won't go like the Hulk. This will help tone you and build strength, but won't bulk you up. You'll be safe enough. And it'll be easy enough for you to do if you follow the program. Two of my "girl" friends are doing it and have no problems with it.
    To quote:

Ok, you won't be using actual weights, but you will be lifting and pushing etc your own bodyweight.

This! ^^^
    Oh and PM sent, to save poor Please Kill Me from burning out his pm button!

LMFAO! Cheers for that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Could someone PM me a copy of this? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

En route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Been reading this, very interesting. I've been dropping weight, walking and running and lifting some weights recently, this is exactly the kinda thing i'm looking for!

I was always a small skinny kid, and despite growing to be 6'1" and "well built", i've never really had great strength.

Will read through the entire book today and hopefully start day 1 of this in the evening!

Gotta grab myself a pull-up bar too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Would anyone be so kind as to send a copy of the linke please?.
    Thanks
    Stu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Read the book today and started training today. Pretty straight forward, I followed the instructions in the "Workout Programs" section and started off with "New Blood", where you should do 2-3 Work Sets of both "Push-Ups" and "Leg-Raises".

Now, i'm starting from scratch but, of course, doing 1 set of 10 reps of wall Pushups is pretty easy! Did anyone else just say "F*ck it, i'll do the 2 sets of 25"? I was thinking about it, but the book says not to jump forward?

I mean, on one hand it's easy, but I do other things like BJJ and running and don't want to pick up niggly injuries to keep me from doing other training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Read the book today and started training today. Pretty straight forward, I followed the instructions in the "Workout Programs" section and started off with "New Blood", where you should do 2-3 Work Sets of both "Push-Ups" and "Leg-Raises".

Now, i'm starting from scratch but, of course, doing 1 set of 10 reps of wall Pushups is pretty easy! Did anyone else just say "F*ck it, i'll do the 2 sets of 25"? I was thinking about it, but the book says not to jump forward?

I mean, on one hand it's easy, but I do other things like BJJ and running and don't want to pick up niggly injuries to keep me from doing other training?

for sure , i ran straight into the progression standard at the earlier steps.
    but you can do a few weeks at level 1 just doing the progression like 3 set fo 50 reps.
    I actually use it as my assistence work (amongst other stuff) with 5/3/1 program.
    I do thai also 3 times a week and I find the BW work doesn't interfere with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement