Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Sadler32 thanks. I have no better places to look than the usual :) maybe something like these.

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/boat/7771899

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/small-fiberglass-boat/7795882

http://www.adverts.ie/boats/boat/6687592

http://www.adverts.ie/boats/punt-tender-small-boat/6841527

Failing that you could build your own :) or have one built for you at a price :eek: Ask on the forum maybe one of the others has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Hi Fergal.

Thanks for that. I am actually leaning towards the building option, there are a few plans out there that suit. Just thought it would be easier to start with something already built. It would be nice to have something that could be sailed and motored. I was looking out for sailing dinghies, however I am now thinking that the ideal rowing dinghy could be converted...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you start up your own post on the forum we can take it from there and throw around a few ideas as I would like to try and keep this post on the topic of my build if possible.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

You said 12ft but would you be persuaded to go as long as 14ft? If so, I am involved in racing 14ft wooden dinghies and could put the word out.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Hi Hubba. sent you a pm. Lets keep this thread to Fergal`s amazing build.....

• Advertisement

I came across this it's a 1937 century thunderbolt the engine hatch is something like the one that I was building but I'm not sure I like it now :confused: might have to rethink it :rolleyes:

smDSC_25090.jpg

smDSC_25112.jpg

2012-07-24155017.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

It looks too much like a Subaru Impreza with that thing on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Personally I like the curve. I never understood the people on Glen-l putting big square box on a lovely curved boat. Always looked like a bodged job to me. But, each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Looking at this side on photo, I would have a curve rising from the front of the opening to the highest point. Then curving slightly downward. finishing straight down to the deck, either parallel with the transom or the windscreen.
    http://s753.photobucket.com/user/fergalbutler/media/crackerbox/ferg04_zpsf7006bd9.jpg.html
    Not sure if that is clear :confused:

A little engine video, she deserves it :D

• Advertisement

Sanding down for a few more coats of varnish :)

20150422_152440_zpsyumvohxd.jpg

I had to tape off the caulking as the varnish won't set on it.

20150422_165721_zps6poqefmy.jpg

3 more coats buffed up she is starting to get that deep shine now maybe just 3 more next year :)

20150513_160506_zps3h9uz1pz.jpg

Not the best weekend I have had :( Old's Cool is now sitting at the bottom of Lough Ree in about 40 foot of water We left portlick bay at about 12.30 and headed to Killinure point to meet up with some other boats then we headed to Lanesborough for the summer prom festival the water was quite calm and it was a pleasant trip up, arriving at about 2.00 we stayed for an hour and then headed back to portlick after about half an hour we got hit with a large hail shower and the waves got alot bigger very quick we were doing 10 knots just to keep the bow up above the waves but I came down off one hard and nosed dived into another swamping the boat and killing the engine, with no forward motion I then got turned sideways and hit by two more waves that filled the boat and down she went all within 30 seconds I didn't even have time to make a SOS call but luckly the other boat that was with me saw what happened and came back to pull me out of the water, the important thing is that I'm here to tell the story and thats all that counts.
    These are the last few photos of her and a little video of us heading that morning.

20150529_141747_zpsnabsmcxt.jpg

20150529_145134_zpszs9nifay.jpg

20150529_142912_zpsxwbkwz10.jpg

20150530_141625_zpsnpmlrdow.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Oh no! :(

Glad you're OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Thats awful news. Has to be soul crushing. Surely it can't be that big an operation to get the lough ree diving club to rescue it for you? Few balloons tied to engine and float to top and pump it out? Has to be worth a few hundred quids effort ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holy **** :eek:

Well first things first, glad to hear you're ok.

Secondly, glad to hear you're ok.

Just goes to show how the weather can turn, even on a lake.

Hopefully there might be the tiniest chance of recovery - worth investigating at least.

Glad to hear you're ok.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glad to hear you are ok!

Sorry to hear about the boat, I'd say that was a bit of a fright

Take care of yourself

Thanks, the search and recovery will be going out as soon as the weather picks up "if it ever does" and my insurance should cover that, even if they can only find one bit of wood off her I will be able to rebuild her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Oh jesus no! Glad you are ok. If there is anything I can do to help get her back - Give me a shout. (David)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

What a gutter.

Not really into boats, but my Dad always was and sometimes I feel I ought to be :o. I've dipped in and out of your thread over the while.

Glad you're OK Fergal. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Glad your ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Yes, that's heartbreaking news but............it could have been so much worse. Here's hoping the recovery goes well and she's back where she belongs soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Just seeing this now. That's awful news but glad your OK. When you find her, and you will, she should be OK. There's not much electronics on these motors other than the cdi unit. When I replaced my 5.7, I kept all the electrics from the old motor and your welcome to any or all of it.
    Mark.

Edit, I'm assuming it's carb
    and not efi.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Sorry to hear about the boat but glad your ok, hopefully you can get it backup and do something with it

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Glad to hear you are ok fergal.b.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

I have been following this thread for yonks, loved that boat in all her sexyness. An absolute beaut, so sorry to read, never expected that! Hope you get her out of the drink soon, great to hear you got out safely, you're a top contributor here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Heard this on facebook - tough going. Best of look with the recovery, at the very least it will make for an interesting thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Glad you are OK. That's the most important thing. Having been on a few boats that went down over the years, it can be quite a shock if you don't see it coming. Hopefully the boat can be found and refloated. It took three months to find one of ours on Lough Derg before.

Were scanning the hell out of the spot at the moment but it seems like it just vanished.

IMG_1068_zpsemv8wnvw.jpg

• Advertisement

After spending yesterday looking for Old's Cool onboard the stunning barge Hawthorn http://www.bargehawthorn.info/ in the very pleasant company of Giles & Jill we eventually came across these images on the sonar, we were so sure this was her that we called out a diver to confirm.

IMG_0206_zpstp8qg3oq.jpg

olscool24_zpsfiytre4q.png

olscool27_zpsrhtfaf8h.png

Video may contain some choice swear words :(

Advertisement