Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYPAL TO DUNDALK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭mada999

shindig-jp wrote: »
    [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]I've been to two lunching dinners in the last month . One at Prometric and the other at PayPal . I asked the question on both occasions “ Were you able to recruit or head hunt from Louth” ? . [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]I will honestly relay the answers I received. The two ladies in charge of both outfits (yes the Boss's from both companies ) . One said .... “The applicants in Louth have largely no secondary skills and could not fry an egg nor did a lot of them know or name the two parts of an egg” but I was able to get two very good applicants who are now on the team.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]The other said “ I would say a lot of our applicants from Louth were under the impression that the jobs advertised were reception front of house and had IT Skills of a FAS ECDL” adding “ my first telephone interview, i asked the recipient to tell me what the acronym HTTP stood for ? and received an honest answer of “ Sorry could you repeat the question”. I further asked the acronym for HTML and got the reply “Yes that's something to do with computers ” We. she said “have a few from Louth but only a very small number”[/FONT]

was this HTTP question asked in relation to an IT job or just a customer service job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]I've been to two lunching dinners in the last month . One at Prometric and the other at PayPal . I asked the question on both occasions “ Were you able to recruit or head hunt from Louth” ? . [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]I will honestly relay the answers I received. The two ladies in charge of both outfits (yes the Boss's from both companies ) . One said .... “The applicants in Louth have largely no secondary skills and could not fry an egg nor did a lot of them know or name the two parts of an egg” but I was able to get two very good applicants who are now on the team.[/FONT]

Was it a chef's position they were going for? I really don't get the egg reference.
    [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]The other said “ I would say a lot of our applicants from Louth were under the impression that the jobs advertised were reception front of house and had IT Skills of a FAS ECDL” adding “ my first telephone interview, i asked the recipient to tell me what the acronym HTTP stood for ? and received an honest answer of “ Sorry could you repeat the question”. I further asked the acronym for HTML and got the reply “Yes that's something to do with computers ” We. she said “have a few from Louth but only a very small number”[/FONT]
    mada999 wrote: »
    was this HTTP question asked in relation to an IT job or just a customer service job?

I was thinking the same thing. And if it was an IT roll was it an IT support job or web development? That PayPal woman sounds like a bitch and not somebody I'd be happy working for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

These "Bosses" must not be very good at their jobs then if they planned to locate a business in Louth only the find out we cannot fry eggs!

Personally I have worked with alot of well educated and able persons in the past in various call centers and banks in Louth and have never been quizzed about eggs or HTTP's.

The people of Louth and Ireland general don't need to patronized by companies that are a flight risk once their grants run out and taxes start to bite.

Irish people as English speakers had the leap in the US and Britain over non native English speakers for over 2 century's and have excelled in many ways because of it. We don't need to be preached at, we are bright enough to know we need to improve in other languages but it ain't gonna happen over night. If we start now maybe my children may speak another language fluently but at my age learning to speak another language as well as my native tongue ain't a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I must say, I am quite disheartened by what I've read above.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I work in a Telco in Dundalk. I've asked all the people around me in my team if they know how to fry an Egg, the name of the parts of an egg, what HTTP stands for and what HTML stands for.

All 5 people in the immediate vacinity knew the answers to all questions. And one person said they can even make me Eggs Benedict if I so desire.

All are in Louth. Just sayin. Maybe we should demand huge salaries in PayPal or Prometric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I have a degree in IT, almost 10 years’ experience in the business and live in Louth.
    My salary expectations were reduced and quite reasonable for the chance to work locally in such a large and progressive company.
    I got as far as a phone interview and have heard no more.

PS. I make a mean scrambled egg too! :)

kormak wrote: »
    I have a degree in IT, almost 10 years’ experience in the business and live in Louth.
    My salary expectations were reduced and quite reasonable for the chance to work locally in such a large and progressive company.
    I got as far as a phone interview and have heard no more.

PS. I make a mean scrambled egg too! :)

Did they come back to you to tell you that you weren't suitable at the phone interview stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Antares wrote: »
    Did they come back to you to tell you that you weren't suitable at the phone interview stage?
    Nope, as far as I remember they said they'd keep my details on file or something along those lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

Just curious how this is progressing - Has Paypal recruited many so far? Anyone here or you know who have started working there? Thanks!

PS: Please note, this is an old thread, and the comments here in are old - no point restarting debates/arguments at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cmcweb

Very disappointed to see they are using JobBridge for non-language customer service based roles:

http://tinyurl.com/bpase23

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

cmcweb wrote: »
    Very disappointed to see they are using JobBridge for non-language cistomer service based roles:

http://tinyurl.com/bpase23

Very cynical move by Paypal. There are more than enough highly experienced and trained people to fill full-time positions. But I suppose if the government is willing to provide cheap labor to huge multi nationals!

Link isn't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

So Much for Paypal coming to Dundalk. I got excited until I saw THIS:

Paypal is part of eBay . eBay first opened its doors in Ireland in 2004 when they set up a small European customer support center in Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin.
    Now it is home home to their EMEA Center of Excellence for eBay Marketplaces Customer Support, PayPal Customer Support, and other business units including eBay Classifieds, Magento, BillMeLater, and StubHub.
    Ebay and Paypal are now one of Dublin’s most recognized employers. With over 2,000 people working here helping millions of eBay and PayPal customers across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA).
    Paypal are opening another office in Dundalk , Co Louth soon and are expected to be employing about 1000 people there .
    The type of jobs available at Paypal will be jobs such as …
    Operational Account Manager with German (PayPal)
    Merchant Fraud Appeals Fluent Turkish (PayPal)
    Dutch Customer Solutions Agent
    Customer Solution Agent Italian (PayPal)
    Talent Acquisition Coordinator (PayPal)
    Fluent German Fraud AgentNightshift (PayPal)
    Lead Generator Spanish (PayPal)
    Brand Risk Management Dutch (PayPal)
    Lead Manager Risk Operations (PayPal)
    Find More Jobs at Paypal in Dublin and Dundalk at
    http://jobs.ebaycareers.com/ie/dublin-jobs
    http://www.jobsguideireland.com/

How many of us in this town speak fluent German, Turkish, Dutch and italian? Sounds more like good news for those not native of the country but living here, but certainly not for us natives bar those who have training in these languages.

Good news for the natives.

130 Customer Solutions Agent jobs for the U.S market have been released today. Those not fluent in German, Turkish, Dutch and Italian can still complain as these jobs will of course be evening/nightshift.

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1301270

• Registered Users Posts: 3 betty258

I do not mind working at night, so I applied for the position. First I had a telephone conversation with HR last Friday and was told that in a few days will be invited for a job interview. has anyone else had applied for it and got some response from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

Great news for Dundalk.

I wish some such big ticket investment comes to Drogheda too.

Any point applying with no experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Any point applying with no experience?

Contact them and ask! Only they know.:rolleyes:

I know a few who got jobs in eBay and they were all about experience. Most needed no fewer than 5 references at least three of which were from an employer I believe with two others from a colleague.

Given PayPal are a financial institution I'd imagine they would be fairly rigourous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Imagining what they are like is no substitute for just enquiring directly and getting the facts.

I know some awful wastes of space and they have jobs in there and thrive.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Give it a shot and stick an application in.

The worst they can say is no.

Imagining what they are like is no substitute for just enquiring directly and getting the facts.

Who pissed in your cornflakes? Guy was on asking us for our advice/opinions and I gave mine based on the fact I've completed 3 colleague references for current employees all of which were based on experience in call centres. I was asked to note their abilities in regards to stats, knowlegde, ability to deal with irate customers and professionalism etc. Very detailed.

Since those 3 have started in eBay they've spoken about how much stricter everything to do with Paypal is due to that area of the company being subject to financial institution level procedures and regulations. It's not exactly a stab in the dark to assume they will target experience in their hiring practices.

Of course they should apply and find out for themselves, but he asked us what WE thought in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Anyone know if they are hiring at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cmcweb

There was a multilingual open day last Saturday. I got the email about it as I have a French name - I'm not fluent though.

They are always looking for fluent German/French/Russian speakers for the Dundalk office, from what I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Anyone know if they are hiring at the moment?

Certainly are, I can refer you if you'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

danrua01 wrote: »
    Certainly are, I can refer you if you'd like

Any chance of a referral?

Please be aware that a refferal involves giving your CV to a total stranger on the Internet.

Be careful who you give such information too ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Im going to apply for jobs AS you and then do a completely half-arsed job, therefore giving you a bad name throughout the land.

Advertisement