Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYPAL TO DUNDALK

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Nice to have some good news for the town. 1000 jobs is a massive boost!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Strong rumours that Dundalk has been selected for up to 1000 new jobs by Paypal announcement to be made later today, fingers crossed.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0221/paypal.html

Confirmed

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Fantastic news on many fronts.

Obviously 1000 local jobs means the local economy will be boosted no end.

On top of that, I work for one of the bigger employers in Town and having competition like PayPal with so many positions might encourage better staff retention policies. 1000 jobs could empty out quite a few of the larger call centres around overnight so the existing companies would do well to improve conditions and pay to compete - hopefully we'll see the end of local companies crying 'recession' as they make paycuts and reduce benefits while making record profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Seems to be true good news at last for this area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Brilliant news for the town after years of job losses :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Great news for the people of Dundalk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

We were hoping to get these jobs in Limerick, but we do have the most uselss politicians of all.

Well done, hope it does a lot for your town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Brilliant news - are they moving into the old Xerox site, the part thats not being used? or somewhere else? I'd imagine its in that general area - round finnabair anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

So Much for Paypal coming to Dundalk. I got excited until I saw THIS:

Paypal is part of eBay . eBay first opened its doors in Ireland in 2004 when they set up a small European customer support center in Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin.
    Now it is home home to their EMEA Center of Excellence for eBay Marketplaces Customer Support, PayPal Customer Support, and other business units including eBay Classifieds, Magento, BillMeLater, and StubHub.
    Ebay and Paypal are now one of Dublin’s most recognized employers. With over 2,000 people working here helping millions of eBay and PayPal customers across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA).
    Paypal are opening another office in Dundalk , Co Louth soon and are expected to be employing about 1000 people there .
    The type of jobs available at Paypal will be jobs such as …
    Operational Account Manager with German (PayPal)
    Merchant Fraud Appeals Fluent Turkish (PayPal)
    Dutch Customer Solutions Agent
    Customer Solution Agent Italian (PayPal)
    Talent Acquisition Coordinator (PayPal)
    Fluent German Fraud AgentNightshift (PayPal)
    Lead Generator Spanish (PayPal)
    Brand Risk Management Dutch (PayPal)
    Lead Manager Risk Operations (PayPal)
    Find More Jobs at Paypal in Dublin and Dundalk at
    http://jobs.ebaycareers.com/ie/dublin-jobs
    http://www.jobsguideireland.com/

How many of us in this town speak fluent German, Turkish, Dutch and italian? Sounds more like good news for those not native of the country but living here, but certainly not for us natives bar those who have training in these languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

How many of us in this town speak fluent German, Turkish, Dutch and italian? Sounds more like good news for those not native of the country but living here, but certainly not for us natives bar those who have training in these languages.

5 Months to re-skill then so - Italian night course, private 1-1 lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Confirmed today so great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 cmcweb

Worked in the PP Blanch office in various roles for 3.5 years (in ex Xerox offices!).

Great company to work for - free VHI, life assurance, gym, subsidised canteen, share options and bonus.

Left due to family commitments, but will go back if the right opportunity arrises.

Pretty sure there will be English speaking job opportunities in Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Paypal is part of eBay . eBay first opened its doors in Ireland in 2004 when they set up a small European customer support center in Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin.
    Now it is home home to their EMEA Center of Excellence for eBay Marketplaces Customer Support, PayPal Customer Support, and other business units including eBay Classifieds, Magento, BillMeLater, and StubHub.
    Ebay and Paypal are now one of Dublin’s most recognized employers. With over 2,000 people working here helping millions of eBay and PayPal customers across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA).
    Paypal are opening another office in Dundalk , Co Louth soon and are expected to be employing about 1000 people there .

Don't be so bloody negative. Those are a few specific jobs among 1000. And, any jobs coming to the Town is great news even if people move from elsewhere to take up the roles is wonderful. Plenty of Dundalk people with expert linguistic skills and degress in many european languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Gonna stick ma name down for the one in bold! Giggity-Giggity... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Great news.

I may consider a career change ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Paypal are not welcome here, They tell people to smash antique violins to solve disputes, cancel donations to decent, legal, proper journalists for reporting the truth about corrupt regimes. Their service it inferior to bitcoin, the true internet currency.

Paypal, take your 1000 jobs and stick 'em, we don't want you here. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Just listening to the 1 o clock news and it's not exactly as it seems, these jobs will be phased in over 4 years.
    At least 50% of the jobs will be for people with languages.

So although great for the town its not the same as the media are saying and in 4 year time everything could be different!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

At the very least though a hundred or more will have to be created early on which will cover the lay offs from Vodafone alone. It's a huge boost for the town and the knock-on effect to the economy of Dundalk will be great.

Anyone got confirmation of where they will be situated? Some saying the new white buildings between Boylesports and Heinz (joining ProMetric, Daiwa and others) and others saying within the Xerox estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Spacedog wrote: »
    Paypal are not welcome here, They tell people to smash antique violins to solve disputes, cancel donations to decent, legal, proper journalists for reporting the truth about corrupt regimes. Their service it inferior to bitcoin, the true internet currency.

Paypal, take your 1000 jobs and stick 'em, we don't want you here. :P

All is forgiven if they take another 1000 people off the live register imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Cracking good news! This is just brilliant brilliant news and a huge boost for the region! Absolutely delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    All is forgiven if they take another 1000 people off the live register imo.

well you're entitled to your (wrong) opinion

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

It sounds great but I'll believe it when I see it.

I remember Xerox Dundalk promised similar and look how that turned out. Is there even 100 people up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

It sounds great but I'll believe it when I see it.

I remember Xerox Dundalk promised similar and look how that turned out. Is there even 100 people up there?

Aprox 240 not including ancilary workers.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Aprox 240 not including ancilary workers.

Ok I got that wrong. But its a far cry from the numbers they announced initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sounds more like good news for those not native of the country but living here, but certainly not for us natives bar those who have training in these languages.

Good news for shop keepers, restaaurenters, pub owners and the people who work in those areas. Having extra money in any town is a good thing, even if the jobs don't suit everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One way or another either it will be 1000 (if that many?) taken off the dole hopefully.
    Be they living in the area or travelling in from elsewhere, they will be making money and then spending most of it here within our national borders - so lets be grateful.
    Especially when things are so bad all over.

They will be spending earned money that will help keep front-line shops and businesses alive a bit more.
    Thats never a bad thing at least.

Sure, maybe some of the jobs available could be better suited for others, but the jobs available now or soon, might have also been non-existent as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Sounds more like good news for those not native of the country but living here, but certainly not for us natives bar those who have training in these languages.

Yep, especially so IF the 'native of the country' is not willing to adapt, learn and upskill themselves to suit excellent opportunities at their door step..! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

great news for the County, hopefully a lot of local unemployed and those enduring long commutes to Dublin get these jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Spacedog wrote: »
    take your 1000 jobs and stick 'em, we don't want you here. :P

We could say the same to you, with an attitude like that. Save it for the appropriate forum and let's celebrate a potential additional; 1000 jobs for Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

hmmm ''dodging'' those replys will prove to be very difficult. But I definitely see the point. 1000 jobs though is hardly going to make THAT much of a difference to the local community. And with 50% of the jobs created for only those trained in foreign languages and the other 50% being introduced over a four year span, I'd say its not as pretty as it looks.

It may take people off the register which is great news but it wont take many residents of Dundalk off the register as like many companies in ireland, they have to fish abroad for foreign workers to come to do the jobs because nobody is skilled to do them here, especially ones that involve being fluent in all those lovely languages.

But the second paragraph of mine is just theoretical because realistically I am unaware just how many Dundalkins are skilled in these fluent languages. But I bet it aint many.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

hmmm ''dodging'' those replys will prove to be very difficult. But I definitely see the point. 1000 jobs though is hardly going to make THAT much of a difference to the local community. And with 50% of the jobs created for only those trained in foreign languages and the other 50% being introduced over a four year span, I'd say its not as pretty as it looks.

It may take people off the register which is great news but it wont take many residents of Dundalk off the register as like many companies in ireland, they have to fish abroad for foreign workers to come to do the jobs because nobody is skilled to do them here, especially ones that involve being fluent in all those lovely languages.

But the second paragraph of mine is just theoretical because realistically I am unaware just how many Dundalkins are skilled in these fluent languages. But I bet it aint many.

I hear what your trying to say. The fact is however irrespective of the jobs going to Dundalk, Dublin or wherever, they are coming to Ireland - and thats a good thing.
    Up to 1000 people are going to be (hopefully) better off and that means they will be able thus able to spend more money into the economy.
    Sure 1000 (or less as it might turn out) jobs is not going to bring huge changes but every bit of drop from dole queue numbers does help the country in a number of ways.
    If we as a country is able to keep up this ability to attract further businesses in, sooner rather than later we might be back of firmer track to national recovery.

The fact that they have decided to open up more in Ireland, also sends a message to other world businesses.
    They might look on and thing "Well there must be something of advantage there in Ireland for them to do that - maybe we should look more into it too!"
    That too can be good for us as a nation.

...And lets be honest, some of those jobs will indeed go to Dundalk residents too - even if its small in number.
    Every little bit helps?

Advertisement