Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So Senior Championship Round 3 will be played this weekend. The last round of group games, all will be decided in terms of who goes through to the Quarter Finals and who will battle relegation.

Group 1:
    Crossmolina v Ballintubber - (Everything suggests a Ballintubber win)
    Shrule/Glencorrib v Castlebar - (Id expect Castlebar to absolutely rout Shrule here after seeing what they did against Crossmolina)

Castlebar already through. Ballintubber need a point to go through and should get it. Interestingly, if Shrule and Crossmolina both lose then points difference will decide who finishes bottom, Shrule have a 7 point lead on Crossmolina in this regard already. It could be tight margins.

Group 2:
    Knockmore v Garrymore - (Would expect a Knockmore win here on home soil)
    Kiltane v Ballinrobe - ('Robe are spirited, but their inexperience and a tough away trip to Kiltane should be too much for them)

Knockmore and Garrymore through and just fighting for top spot. Kiltane and Bllinrobe fighting to avoid the relegation playoffs.

Group 3:
    Westport v Davitts - (Westport to nick a tight game)
    Charlestown v Ballaghaderreen - (Another tight one but Ballagh' should be a little stronger)

In theory all teams can still go through, Ballagh' look pretty assured though and its likely to be either Westport or Charlestown to join them.

Group 4:
    Aghamore v Claremorris - (Claremorris look good but Aghamore will be tough at home, south boys are better though)
    Breaffy v Ballina - (Should be straightforward for Breaffy)

Breaffy already through, Claremorris or Aghamore will join them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did I see us down for Saturday the 2nd against either Cork/Sligo there on the Sunday game? Presume 2pm and 4pm throw-ins there with 2 games on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

No it'll be part of a double header on Sunday August 3rd with the other two games the following week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

same day as kerry

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Barlett wrote: »
    No it'll be part of a double header on Sunday August 3rd with the other two games the following week

Not the Sunday, if you scroll down, it will be either the Saturday or Monday and I would swear i spotted Aug 2nd the date they have us for;

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

Found it and screenshot it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Sunday Game caption is incorrect I believe and I noticed it as soon as it was shown.

It implies that Cork, Galway, Monaghan and Meath will win the Rnd 4 qqualifier.

If for example Sligo beat Cork then Kerry v Galway/Tipp/Sligo is an option.

I would not believe the dates either.
    If they are going to put quarter finals on a Saturday what will they put on the Sunday ?.

I think the reference to Saturday 2nd/Monday 4th on the GAA website implies that they can be play over that weekend.

They may even match a A side QF with the Rnd 4 B qqualifiers, as CP is a likely venue given the teams involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thought they weren't playing quarter final double headers on the bank holiday Monday anymore.Hate the thought of it. Presume that the Dubs will on the Sunday with RTE having first pick on the quarters?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thought they weren't playing quarter final double headers on the bank holiday Monday anymore.Hate the thought of it. Presume that the Dubs will on the Sunday with RTE having first pick on the quarters?

Dublin v X, Donegal v Y Quarter finals are on Sky (that was always the case) so they will be 5pm (Donegal) and 7pm (Dublin) on the 9th

They were always scheduled for the 9th due to the A/B qualifiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Minor match at 12 but seniors not til 4. Why couldn't they have put the mayo match on at 2 instead???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

glack wrote: »
    Minor match at 12 but seniors not til 4. Why couldn't they have put the mayo match on at 2 instead???

It's madness, a lot of people will stay in the pub until 3.30 and this will cost the minors some support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

What happens if one of the 4a qualifiers ends up a draw after extra time ?

km79 wrote: »
    What happens if one of the 4a qualifiers ends up a draw after extra time ?

Good point.
    The QF related to it would likely be postponed and played as a double header with the hurling SF on the 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's madness, a lot of people will stay in the pub until 3.30 and this will cost the minors some support.
    Definitely. 6 hours in croker is a long time for anyone.

glack wrote: »
    Definitely. 6 hours in croker is a long time for anyone.

No its not.
    Remember that there is a senior game at 2 also

So leave the house around 8am, won't get in the door again until the guts of 11pm, bit lousy to be honest. Ya great to get 3 games but use the head and consider the bloody journey. You could have 3 teams heading West that day too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

No its not.
    Remember that there is a senior game at 2 also
    A bit long for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

great opportunity to study THE opposition at 2 ;) but would be difficult for the kids, would love to see the minors play too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Going on their first half showing on Sunday, we should start as warm favourites against Armagh minors.

cocoman wrote: »
    A bit long for kids.

True, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Going on their first half showing on Sunday, we should start as warm favourites against Armagh minors.
    Will be great to see Akram/Reape/Hanley/Boylan on a big pitch. Especially Akram n Reape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Will be great to see Akram/Reape/Hanley/Boylan on a big pitch. Especially Akram n Reape.

Are there any other minor quarter finals being played at Croke Park?

It's a serious advantage for the winners if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Are there any other minor quarter finals being played at Croke Park?

It's a serious advantage for the winners if not.

Only one.

Saturday, August 2nd

Donegal v Roscommon, Markievicz Park, 3pm

Monday, August 4

Dublin v Cork, Semple Stadium, 2pm
    Kerry v Kildare, Semple Stadium, 3.45pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

If Galway and Sligo win their respective matches then we will be playing Sligo in Dublin. A lot to be said for the day out in croker and giving the lads the game on the big pitch... but an all Ireland QF between Mayo-Sligo in castlebar has a nice ring to it...jam the place to the rafters :-) A lot easier for the kids as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Ascii wrote: »
    If Galway and Sligo win their respective matches then we will be playing Sligo in Dublin. A lot to be said for the day out in croker and giving the lads the game on the big pitch... but an all Ireland QF between Mayo-Sligo in castlebar has a nice ring to it...jam the place to the rafters :-) A lot easier for the kids as well

It would be nice alright but (a) can't see Sligo beating Cork and (b) GAA would never allow it to be played in McHale!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Senior Club Championship Results:

Group 1
    Crossmolina 1-02 Ballintubber 2-18
    Shrule/Glencorrib 1-11 Castlebar 1-14
    Castlebar & Ballintubber make quarter finals, Crossmolina in relegation playoff.

Group 2
    Knockmore 0-10 Garrymore 3-06
    Kiltane 1-12 Ballinrobe 2-12
    Garrymore & Knockmore make quarter finals, Kiltane in relegation playoff.

Group 3
    Westport 0-12 Davitts 2-09
    Charlestown 2-10 Ballaghaderreen 1-17
    Ballaghaderreen & Charlestown make quarter finals, Westport in relegation playoff.

Group 4
    Aghamore 2-11 Claremorris 0-12
    Breaffy 0-15 Ballina 0-10.
    Breaffy & Aghamore make quarter finals, Ballina in relegation playoff.

Jesus lads, what a weekend in the club championship....

In Group 1, Shrule give Castlebar a scare with Mark Ronaldson missing a late penalty to win the game for them! :eek:

In Group 2, Ballinrobe winning in Kiltane, with Donal Vaughan hitting 2-4 playing full-forward apparently :eek:

And in Group 4, what a win for Aghamore making it to the last 8!

And what a relegation playoff we will have too: Crossmolina, Kiltane, Westport and Ballina.... dont think many would have called that before a championship ball was kicked in 2014!

''The Draws for the Mayo G.A.A. Senior, Intermediate & Junior Football Championship Quarter-Finals will take place next Monday evening 28th July at 8.00p.m. in the meeting room of Elverys MacHale Park. The draws for the Relegation Play-Offs will also take place at the same time.''

So as expected we'll be facing Cork in the QF. I think we should win this game, Cork didn't exactly impress yesterday, Sligo didn't look at all bad in midfield or even in defence (Cork made hay with frees and long-range kicking), just their forwards looked poor on the day, lots of sloppy play and poor shot-selection, the gap should have been a lot narrower at half-time. Cork may well play defensively again so if we can put up a good few scores in the early stages and keep ourselves ahead at half-time then we should be able to push on and win. Our HB line should be well able to deal with Kerrigan (who was very badly marked by Sligo) and if my memory serves me correctly Ger Cafferkey kept Hurley in check in the league after a switch by Horan. Hopefully COC can keep his form and play like he did against Galway. Will AOS remain in the forwards or be used to bolster the midfield? Should Gibbons be in ahead of Barry Moran?

It needs to be a complete performance by Mayo however, our record against Cork in the championship is poor and they have always been a bogey team for us in some respects. No doubt they are itching for a chance to get one back on Kerry and better still to do it on the big-stage in Croker in a semi-final. So Mayo shouldn't be looking past them yet, although in various blogs and forums some of the fanbase are already looking at another final appearance against Dublin which could be dangerous talk at this stage!

Still, I'm looking to next weekend, three matches on in Croker in which I will have a big interest, the timing of the minor and senior matches doesn't bother me in the least!

I think there were 6 changes to the cork squad (from a seepy memory) from the Kerry match, so they may well be working on something, or holding back/resting.

I can't wait for next weekend.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I think there were 6 changes to the cork squad (from a seepy memory) from the Kerry match, so they may well be working on something, or holding back/resting.

I can't wait for next weekend.

It was neither.
    It was a panic reaction to the Kerry game.
    On the Cork thread they have been suggesting that he will have to change the whole lot again cos that team yesterday would be in no way suitable v Mayo

• Advertisement

that's a pity, I don't enjoy watching walkovers and we need to be challenged in matches from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Although Cork always have to be feared, I expect Mayo to have too much for them.
    Cork have the talent, no doubt about that, but the structure/management just hasn't been right the past few years.
    It seems (correct me if I am wrong) that when the hurlers are doing well that a bit of interest leaves the football in Cork, now that could be nonsense but I just feel that way.

Cork were very poor against Kerry, and although they beat Sligo they didn't look like potential All-Ireland candidates.
    Looking forward to the tussle between Mayo and Donegal all going well, which should be a cracker if they meet as the northerners are playing as well as they did 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the tussle between Mayo and Donegal all going well, which should be a cracker if they meet as the northerners are playing as well as they did 2 years ago.

You fancy Donegal to beat Dublin in the semi?

Well, I have Donegal backed from the start, had them backed two years ago and they delivered the goods..
    Dublin must be favourites of course but they have played nothing yet.
    Donegal look the team of two years ago at the moment, very hard to break down and they are scoring at the other end. It annoys me when people talk of Dublin as some sort of dinosaurs that nobody has a chance of beating, winning an All-Ireland is never easy.

any fear Irish rail will put on later trains ? 645 back to galway is a rush. and that's assuming no extra time in either match

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Although Cork always have to be feared, I expect Mayo to have too much for them.
    Cork have the talent, no doubt about that, but the structure/management just hasn't been right the past few years.
    It seems (correct me if I am wrong) that when the hurlers are doing well that a bit of interest leaves the football in Cork, now that could be nonsense but I just feel that way.

Cork were very poor against Kerry, and although they beat Sligo they didn't look like potential All-Ireland candidates.

TBH I can't see Donegal beating Dublin even if they're back operating at a similar level to 2012. This Dublin team appears to have taken gaelic football to a whole new level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

any fear Irish rail will put on later trains ? 645 back to galway is a rush. and that's assuming no extra time in either match

Hopefully they will,few pints before hand will do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I hope to god they do! Would much rather a Mayo Donegal final than another Mayo Dublin one. And even if we did lose, it'd be much easier to take it from Donegal over Dublin imo. (Don't mean to count any chicks before they hatch btw)

A lot of football to be played between now and that possibly happening.
    I hope to god they do! Would much rather a Mayo Donegal final than another Mayo Dublin one. And even if we did lose, it'd be much easier to take it from Donegal over Dublin imo. (Don't mean to count any chicks before they hatch btw)

It's no easier to lose to Donegal than to Dublin
    It's s**t both ways and has been since 1996*

*1989 was an exception seeing as Mayo hand not been there for 37 years, so ther was a bit of novelty around it.

Well, I have Donegal backed from the start, had them backed two years ago and they delivered the goods..
    Dublin must be favourites of course but they have played nothing yet.
    Donegal look the team of two years ago at the moment, very hard to break down and they are scoring at the other end. It annoys me when people talk of Dublin as some sort of dinosaurs that nobody has a chance of beating, winning an All-Ireland is never easy.

I would actually give Donegal the best chance of beating Dublin of any of the remaining teams (mainly because of their tactical approach) but it's still not a very big one. Despite this, I would be fairly confident of Mayo (or Kerry) taking them in the final.

• Advertisement

I would actually give Donegal the best chance of beating Dublin of any of the remaining teams (mainly because of their tactical approach) but it's still not a very big one. Despite this, I would be fairly confident of Mayo (or Kerry) taking them in the final.

Mayo & Final -> Two words that never seem to go well.
    Definitely have the ability, just lack a bit of belief when they need it the most.
    The thing about Donegal, and they did this brilliantly two years ago against Dublin is they completely starve the full forward line by congesting the area.. When they are on song, the only way to beat them is to have a good day kicking from long range. Dublin @ 1/2, or Donegal @ 11/1 ? I know what I'd rather, although I am on at 25's. I still don't think Kerry are good enough to win it.

Mayo & Final -> Two words that never seem to go well.
    Definitely have the ability, just lack a bit of belief when they need it the most.
    The thing about Donegal, and they did this brilliantly two years ago against Dublin is they completely starve the full forward line by congesting the area.. When they are on song, the only way to beat them is to have a good day kicking from long range. Dublin @ 1/2, or Donegal @ 11/1 ? I know what I'd rather, although I am on at 25's. I still don't think Kerry are good enough to win it.

Hang on a second, you're the one who said you were looking forward to a Mayo Donegal final! I'm conceding you have a point insofar as I think Donegal are the best bet of the remaining teams to beat Dublin, but I'd still say it's only maybe a one in four chance, as against Mayo one in five, Kerry one in six. But yes I would be confident of Mayo finally getting over the line in a final against Donegal as they don't have the same driving hunger of two years ago with the AI medal in their back pockets.

Hang on a second, you're the one who said you were looking forward to a Mayo Donegal final! I'm conceding you have a point insofar as I think Donegal are the best bet of the remaining teams to beat Dublin, but I'd still say it's only maybe a one in four chance, as against Mayo one in five, Kerry one in six. But yes I would be confident of Mayo finally getting over the line in a final against Donegal as they don't have the same driving hunger of two years ago with the AI medal in their back pockets.

Dublin won the All-Ireland in 2011, then beat Mayo in the final in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The hunger thing is one of the biggest cliches in GAA imo. Did the great Kerry teams lack hunger, did the great Kilkenny ones lack hunger, while they were winning multiple All Irelands? Not a bit of it. Did Dublin look as if they were lacking in the hunger department against Meath last week? Not from where I was sitting they didn't.

If Mayo win the All Ireland this year and & beat Donegal or Dublin along the way, it will be because they were the better team on the day, they executed plays better, they took their scoring chances better and more players stood up and were counted, than on the oppositions. Hunger won't have a damm thing to do with it imo.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The hunger thing is one of the biggest cliches in GAA imo. Did the great Kerry teams lack hunger, did the great Kilkenny ones lack hunger, while they were winning multiple All Irelands? Not a bit of it. Did Dublin look as if they were lacking in the hunger department against Meath last week? Not from where I was sitting they didn't.

If Mayo win the All Ireland this year and & beat Donegal or Dublin along the way, it will be because they were the better team on the day. Hunger won't have a damm thing to do with it imo.

Good points, if hunger was a major factor then Mayo would have gobbled up a few All-Irelands by now, there's been a famine in Mayo for a long time! Look back on all the finals Mayo have lost and I don't think you could accuse the players of not being motivated enough, it always comes down to the essentials; tactics, fitness, sharpness, decision making both on and off the field, etc

The match should be over at 5.30, plenty of time to get back to Hueston by 6.45 right?

The match should be over at 5.30, plenty of time to get back to Hueston by 6.45 right?

should be.......extra time in any game....I've done it before. its very rushed. they have put on 820 pm trains before for 330 throw ins so I'm hopeful.......extra train already added from westport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

10547915_707836985956956_1937581995754295096_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Gonna be a long day. Our bus is leaving at 8AM and will most likely be 10 when we dock back. I think Mayo supporters are the best in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

Bring a friend option moves me to 314 - stuck in the corner :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement