Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you hate Irish?

• 01-01-2016 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Given the other thread it was surprising to the level of hatred for Irish. Having been over in Wales recently the English speakers would generally be apathetic to Welsh. No one seemed to hate it. Why do people hate a language so much?

Cen faith mar is fuair a lán daoine Gaeilge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I don't....?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One word - Peig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its forced down us at Primary School level.

If you made it more fun for kids they might enjoy learning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I love Irish. Is aoibhinn liom an Ghaoluinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Most younger people never did peig.

Just hated by a certain group. Seems to be tolerated by others. The Welsh do a good job of keeping their language going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Irish is the medium, its totally benign, the subject matter that was pushed through Irish is what people resist and detest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't hate it but I have no interest in it. It's not relevant to my life and I expect it's the same for most people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't, I do hate people who hate it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

It has to be the way it's taught. You learn it every day for 8 years in primary and still can't have a simple conversation or understand any Nuacht on tv. It cant be the kids' fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Ha, the Irish language, thought you meant hate the irish by title.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Most younger people never did peig.

Just hated by a certain group. Seems to be tolerated by others. The Welsh do a good job of keeping their language going.

For me it's the way it was thought, over twenty years after I left school, I can still have a conversation in French or German, but Irish is beyond me, that's with five years of French and German and 13 of Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭jeremymurphy

Hatred doesn't kill a language as easily as apathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I don't even dislike it and I wish I paid more attention back when i was in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Hated learning it in school. Could not see the point. The way way it was thought was also a joke. Not relevant at all. I got a lot better results in German than Irish even though only learned it for 5 years.

I also resented that it was compulsory as I am not language orientated but would have preferred to do an additional science subject for the leaving cert instead.

I could understand maths and English being compulsory as they may have some use in the future but unless you want to teach Irish what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

It is state propaganda forced upon people. You should not have to learn Irish if you don't want to. Not everyone is Gaelic in thinking and thinks the Irish language is what defines them. You would be better learning Chinese and investing money into languages which are relevant in the world.

What good is Irish going to do in the 21st century? Keep it as a hobby but it should not be state funded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I certainly don't hate it, I went to a Gaelscoil for national school and it really helped me all the way through to my Leaving Cert. Having our own language is something that should be treasured by all the people of Ireland, it's something not every country has (USA, Canada, most South American countries don't have their own) and it really should be the case where we can carry on with our everyday lives as Gaeilge and not be forced to speak English everywhere bar small parts of the country. Nothing against speaking English either since it's useful across the globe, but many people in EU countries like Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Belgium are bilingual so there isn't any excuse for us.

I would like to add though that even though I love the language and what it represents and how it gives our country its own identity, it should not be forced onto people who don't want to learn it, but it should be heavily encouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I have a massive chip on my shoulder over having to learn that language.

It was the source of endless hours of suffering for me - I cannot put into words what a negative impact having to learn Irish had on my childhood, and that isn't an exaggeration.

It was taught in such an awful manner that my knowledge of French surpasses it by a mile, even though I put a fraction of the time into it.
    It was the subject that made the least sense, took the most work, was the least fun and the least rewarding.
    It shook my confidence in my intelligence, and made me feel like an idiot for at least an hour every day.
    It took time from subjects with some usefulness and set back my academic life overall.
    It represented hours of frustration and heartache, over something I knew all along was absolutely worthless.

I'm older now, and I no longer want to burn down the Gaeltacht, but the way the language is taught needs to be radically overhauled, in particular, not having the language taught by teachers with only a passing knowledge of the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Why do people hate a language so much?

The policy of ramming it down people's throats, with the aim of ensuring that everyone can speak (literally) a 'cupla focal' hasn't helped. I like the language, but I've yet to hear a valid argument in favour of compulsory Irish in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think a lot of the older generation really do hate Irish because of the way it was taught (and beaten into them) during the 1940s 50s 60s and 70s - ouch!

Not that the beating it into them worked, because mostly it didn't.

I don't hate Irish, but I think the Compulsory nature of its teaching 'post Inter Cert' needs to looked into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Why do people hate a language so much?
    Can you point to surveys or polls supporting your contention that people hate Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I actually think it sounds awful. Really rough. I never really wanted to speak it.
    I was decent at it at school even though it was my least favourite subject.
    It should not be mandatory in school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well said, Minister. I don't think I ever "hated" Irish but I certainly resented having to "learn" it. Looking back there were dozens of practical and useful things I could have actually learned in its place. The worst thing is that the system isn't even structured to teach kids the language. It's there to funnel taxpayers money into the hands of inept morons who'd never be able to find work in another country.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

If so many people are coming out of school after spending the majority of their childhood and teenage years learning it, and not being able to speak much more than a few simple words and phrases, surely something is fundamental wrong with the way it's been taught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

A few reasons.

1. I resent that I was forced to waste my time learning it at school when that time could have been better used on topics which would have been useful to me in adult life.

2. I resent the money spent on providing dual language options for everything from documents to signage in a country where I believe there are probably fewer than a handful of people who could not readily cope with same in English.

3. I resent that it seems to be given priority in some official circumstances, as this causes confusion (mainly road signage and the issue with Google maps).

I have no problem with Irish existing; I fully support it being available for those who would choose to learn it and use it as their secondary language for personal use, the same as any other language.

I resent it being forced on the majority at the behest of the minority, and at great expense and hassle to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't, quite like it in fact. I spent many a summer up in Meenaclady in my youth. I also like the awkward silence when I accidentally blurt out the odd phrase in the office. . .tá brón orm mr/ms english person

Anyway, I think a lot of people hate it much like religion in that they see it as a waste of school hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I don't hate it. I only speak a cupla focail but me daughter is in senior infants in a gaelscoil. She was fluent by the Christmas in junior infants. It really demonstrates the power of learning through immersion. None if her other subjects have suffered as a result. I'd like to see more gaelscoil and Gael secondary schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

It was undoubtedly taught very poorly and under some kind of obligatory duress...but tá mé i ngrá as gaelige!

My daughter started second class in Ireland recently. She hadn't a word of Gaelige as we lived abroad. She loves it. Why? Because she had to learn a different lingo at the age of 4 and now this is something else new and she wants it.

My generation hated it because it was rammed down the throat. No fun or relevence attached to it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Lights On wrote: »
    If so many people are coming out of school after spending the majority of their childhood and teenage years learning it, and not being able to speak much more than a few simple words and phrases, surely something is fundamental wrong with the way it's been taught?

Just goes to show the poor instruction from most of the teachers.

Its not being taught properly to kids leaving them confused and hating Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

This thread needs a poll..... lots of people don't hate it... unless they put down that they can speak Irish on the census but secretly hate it as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I just don't understand it's purpose in today's society. And I never really got the whole arguement that it's our culture yada yada yada. Our culture is our personalities, our pastimes and art. Not a language that isn't used anymore.

heroics wrote: »
    I could understand maths and English being compulsory as they may have some use in the future but unless you want to teach Irish what's the point.

Out of interest how was the English literature you learned going to be of use to you in the future, considering your English comprehension was well covered by your other subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

.....because of how it was taught and promoted.

Also, certain groups have turned its use into a political act / statement.

I hated it in school.......hated it in uni........hated when I went to the Gaeltacht!

It was only about 12 years ago when I discovered my grá for it when the job I had required me to develop a proficiency in the language. I came to enjoy speaking and working through it.......

In 2014 I changed jobs and actually miss using it!

My kids hate it, so I guess teaching hasn't moved on much?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I don't hate it. I don't love it either, I can just use it fairly well.

In my experience, most people hate it for three main reasons:

1. It often wasn't taught well at all (e.g. no speaking practice, consolidation, grammar explanation, leading to frustration. It's not a particularly difficult language to learn, but you still need a pretty competent teacher.

2. Most of us are monolingual and lacked the benefit of exposure to and us of another language from an early age in learning a language. This was compounded by being taught Irish by teachers who were basically monolingual English speakers. Even the ones who were fluent in Irish would probabky have grown up with it as a mother tongue, and therefore didn't have the insight into learning a language in a school setting which is crucial to any language teacher. It's telling that none of the non-Irish born people I know who've learnt it had any issues with it, as they'd already learned English and other languages properly.

3. It was cool to say you didn't like it when you were a teenager, and some people maintain this mindset into adulthood.Though I believe its unpopularity was strongly linked to points 1 and 2, with people getting frustrated with their lack of progress and saying "Stupid language anyway, I'd want to learn it if they didn't try to cram it down my throat!" Understandably, of course.

So I really don't buy it when someone says it was forced down their throat in primary school. Do they also hate English, Nature Studies, Religion (well...), Geography, History etc which we also had no choice about learning in primary school?

For the record, my ideas on language learning come from being an experienced English-language teacher who has also learned some French and Italian. I think Irish should be compulsory in Primary School as it's crucial for children to learn a second language for their general cognitive development and later language acquisition. I think Irish is the best option as there are the most opportunities for encountering and using the language outside the classroom (number of Irish speakers in the country, signs, TG4, RnaG) which is essential for learning a language.
    I then believe it should be optional at Second level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Dughorm wrote: »
    This thread needs a poll..... lots of people don't hate it... unless they put down that they can speak Irish on the census but secretly hate it as well :)

I can do a lot of things I hate.

My ability to do them has exactly zero bearing on my enjoyment of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Is breá liom gaeilge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I love Irish. Beautiful language.

I have a massive chip on my shoulder over having to learn that language.

It was the source of endless hours of suffering for me - I cannot put into words what a negative impact having to learn Irish had on my childhood, and that isn't an exaggeration.

It was taught in such an awful manner that my knowledge of French surpasses it by a mile, even though I put a fraction of the time into it.
    It was the subject that made the least sense, took the most work, was the least fun and the least rewarding.
    It shook my confidence in my intelligence, and made me feel like an idiot for at least an hour every day.
    It took time from subjects with some usefulness and set back my academic life overall.
    It represented hours of frustration and heartache, over something I knew all along was absolutely worthless.

I'm older now, and I no longer want to burn down the Gaeltacht, but the way the language is taught needs to be radically overhauled, in particular, not having the language taught by teachers with only a passing knowledge of the language.

Thank you so much for this post - I passionately believe the teaching of the language is dire for the most part and you have explained this brilliantly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ted1 wrote: »
    I don't hate it. I only speak a cupla focail but me daughter is in senior infants in a gaelscoil. She was fluent by the Christmas in junior infants. It really demonstrates the power of learning through immersion. None if her other subjects have suffered as a result. I'd like to see more gaelscoil and Gael secondary schools.

I don't think a lot of people realise how going to a Gaelscoil and learning the language all day, every day for 8 years from such a young age can have such a positive and lasting effect on learning and most importantly retaining the language through the following years. If the majority of national schools were Gaelscoils, I think there's a great chance of living in a bilingual society and not having Gaeilgeoirs forced away into certain parts of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Learning Klingon would probably have more practical uses.
    I think it's a beautiful language, but I also think thatching roofs is brilliant. I wouldn't make it compulsory for everyone to learn to thatch a cottage just because it's a dying trade.
    I suspect there is a fear that the language will be lost if it isn't forced on people in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I'd like to start learning it again. It's a beautiful-sounding language I think. I wasn't too fond of it as a subject in school though. I'd have liked it more if they had focused more on conversing as Gaeilge as opposed to making us learn off essays about drug problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'd be amazed if there were many 12-year olds sitting in a classroom during an Irish lesson thinking "I wish I were learning something more practical that will benefit me in my adult life."

That argument's always seemed to me to be retrospectively applied.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd be amazed if there were many 12-year olds sitting in a classroom during an Irish lesson thinking "I wish I were learning something more practical that will benefit me in my adult life."

I was. We had a large computer room in our school that I barely got to use at all. Apparently, being just about able to string together half a dozen words as an adult was more important.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I don't hate Irish. I hate the artificial position it has in Ireland and the way it is forced on me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

martyos121 wrote: »
    I don't think a lot of people realise how going to a Gaelscoil and learning the language all day, every day for 8 years from such a young age can have such a positive and lasting effect on learning and most importantly retaining the language through the following years. If the majority of national schools were Gaelscoils, I think there's a great chance of living in a bilingual society and not having Gaeilgeoirs forced away into certain parts of the country.

i went to an all irish school for primary and secondary, even did my first year of college through Irish.

out of all the people I still keep in contact (or facebook contact) with, I could count on one hand with many fingers to spare the number of people who still use or probably even understand irish to even a moderate degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

We were taught Irish usually for 3 hours a day, followed by 40 mins of religion, and the rest of the day was English and Maths. Some days it was irish all day. Some days we got to English but never made it to maths. Once in a blue moon we would do a half hour of nature or geography, but it was very rare.

Are you seriously saying you think kids after 3 hours of Irish would not prefer to be doing something different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Crumpets wrote: »
    I'd like to start learning it again. It's a beautiful-sounding language I think. I wasn't too fond of it as a subject in school though. I'd have liked it more if they had focused more on conversing as Gaeilge as opposed to making us learn off essays about drug problems

Then why don't you? PLenty of resources available to you.

That's not the problem. The problem (from the lanaguge's point of view) is that 12-year old's aren't sitting in a classroom during an Irish lesson thinking "ok - this is interesting - I could enjoy this".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It wasn't a conscious thought it my mind but the fact that the first language I learned after my native language was of no practical worth probably didn't enamour me to learning foreign languages latter on in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Crumpets wrote: »

I think it usually is for the first year or 3, then they start layering on the sh1te with poems and learning off long lists of things to forget the day after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

syklops wrote: »
    We were taught Irish usually for 3 hours a day, followed by 40 mins of religion, and the rest of the day was English and Maths. Some days it was irish all day. Some days we got to English but never made it to maths. Once in a blue moon we would do a half hour of nature or geography, but it was very rare.

Are you seriously saying you think kids after 3 hours of Irish would not prefer to be doing something different?

You see, this is where a Gael scoil comes in. They don't do three hours of Irish, they do the other subjects just through Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Then why don't you? PLenty of resources available to you.

Might do eventually but I'm currently wrapped up in learning German and don't want to overexcite my little brain

• Advertisement
Advertisement