Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Cillian O'Connor will miss the league. They're still trying to sort out the knee trouble he's been having. Full fitness seems to have been a bit of a problem for him in recent times. Hopefully he'll be fully recovered in time for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

PressRun wrote: »
    Cillian O'Connor will miss the league. They're still trying to sort out the knee trouble he's been having. Full fitness seems to have been a bit of a problem for him in recent times. Hopefully he'll be fully recovered in time for the championship.

The rumours weren't far off the mark... seemed to be carrying that all year. Hopefully he is fully on the road to recovery already

The rumours weren't far off the mark... seemed to be carrying that all year. Hopefully he is fully on the road to recovery already

Yeah, I'd heard myself a while ago that his knee wasn't in the best of shape, and hadn't been for some time. Apparently it's rehab for the next 4 months or so. Hopefully that'll do the trick and sort it out once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah, I'd heard myself a while ago that his knee wasn't in the best of shape, and hadn't been for some time. Apparently it's rehab for the next 4 months or so. Hopefully that'll do the trick and sort it out once and for all.

Hope everything goes well for him and while not the ideal way to get it, the rest will most likely do the lad good.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

charlie14 wrote: »
    Hope everything goes well for him and while not the ideal way to get it, the rest will most likely do the lad good.

I hope the few months off will sort it. IMO a knee injury seems to be one injury that is hard to shake off permanently. Has ended many a good career prematurely ....e.g. Michael Meehan

Hopefully we see him in Castlebar in May for Galway. You would feel 6 months should work wonders for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He's a guy who definitely needs a rest.
    Since coming back from the shoulder injury in 2014 He has been playing non stop for the last few years while not 100%

2014 Championship
    2014 Mayo and Connacht club with Ballintubber
    Siggerson.
    Most of the 2015 league
    2015 Championship

Plus it gives the manager a chance to use alternatives in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Ascii wrote: »
    I hope the few months off will sort it. IMO a knee injury seems to be one injury that is hard to shake off permanently. Has ended many a good career prematurely ....e.g. Michael Meehan

Hopefully we see him in Castlebar in May for Galway. You would feel 6 months should work wonders for it.

It's the ankle that got Michael Meehan unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    It's the ankle that got Michael Meehan unfortunately.

My bad...am I right in saying he did have some persistent trouble with the knee at one stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Ascii wrote: »
    My bad...am I right in saying he did have some persistent trouble with the knee at one stage ?
    I'm not sure how serious it was but you're right, he had a cartilage operation on his knee last Winter.

Small bit on it here.

The ankle gave him awful trouble. Has very little if any cartilage left on it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Very worrying news regarding Cillian as far as I'm concerned.

He has shipped more serious injuries in the past five years than most county panels combined.

I really hope we can get another five years out of him, but I would really fear for him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

He's a guy who definitely needs a rest.
    Since coming back from the shoulder injury in 2014 He has been playing non stop for the last few years while not 100%

2014 Championship
    2014 Mayo and Connacht club with Ballintubber
    Siggerson.
    Most of the 2015 league
    2015 Championship

Plus it gives the manager a chance to use alternatives in the forwards.
    I think his Sigerson cup team where knocked out after the first game. He only played in 3 of the 7 NFL games this year but for a lad thats picking up a lot of injuries it probably no harm he is getting extended rest now. No need play him against London IMO the objective should be to get him fit for the Connacht semi final v Galway in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Well done to hollymount carramore and ardnaree today..good day for mayo football

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

eastmayo wrote: »
    Well done to hollymount carramore and ardnaree today..good day for mayo football

Agreed, if Cbar could do it then I would say it must be very unusual for one County to have a clean sweep in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Not long now :D fixtures up on Midwest:

3rd Jan 2016 Mayo vs NUIG MacHale Park 2pm
    10th Jan 2016 Mayo vs Sligo IT Ballina 2pm
    with the Final on 24th January @ 2pm

http://midwestradio.ie/index.php/sport/29557-dates-confirmed-for-connacht-fbd-football-league

Anyone know about any updates/changes on the Allianz league provisional dates?

January 31st Cork v Mayo (2pm)
    February 6th Mayo v Dublin (7pm)
    February 28th Donegal v Mayo (2pm)
    March 6th Monaghan v Mayo (2pm)
    March 13th Mayo v Kerry (2pm)
    March 27th Roscommon v Mayo (3pm)
    April 3rd Mayo v Down (3pm)

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=17196

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Tough start to the league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Interesting article by James Horan advocating the abolition of the under 21 grade,it appears to be an eminently sensible proposal given the deluge of injuries that the most promising young players suffer from with excessive game time.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23133%3Aex-mayo-boss-wants-under-21-scrapped&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Big game on Sunday for the Mitchels,hopefully they can put Corofin to the sword and Stephen Rochford set about his work asap.Quietly confident that this Mitchels have the wherewithal to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seligehgit wrote: »
    Interesting article by James Horan advocating the abolition of the under 21 grade,it appears to be an eminently sensible proposal given the deluge of injuries that the most promising young players suffer from with excessive game time.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23133%3Aex-mayo-boss-wants-under-21-scrapped&catid=14&Itemid=100008

College football which includes league football right now,FBD,O Bryne cup or McKenna cup and to be peaked for the February Sigerson cup is higher risk for injuries or burn out than knock out U-21 championship football. Mayo's 2013 minors played in how many U-21 championship games in the last two years? i think i would be looking to the training regime of the Mayo minor management or whats going on at college level to find out why those minors have picked up so many injuries.

Is Horan claiming U-21s can play college football instead of the U-21 championship? not every U-21 goes to college and then you have some U-21s that struggle to get starts because a more high profile county senior on a scholarship gets selected before him.

I think U-21s would prefer to win a U-21 title with their county than with their college team in front of a few hundred.

Agreed re the crowded schedule besides that could possibly be a bigger contributory factor to injuries to young players not only in Mayo.But most college students like to represent their college,the under 21 championship as it stands is probably the least prestigious of the football championship vis a vis minor and senior.This is reflected in the relatively paltry number of games in same said championship,crowds outside the latter stages,position in the football calendar year and apathy amongst the GAA community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Saturday evening Connacht SF in Castlebar if we get that far.
    That will be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Great performance by Castlebar in Tuam, Rochford is on his way :). I reckon of few of the Mitchel's lads will step up to the county panel.

Great news from Tuam
    Castlebar win and Rochford freed up.
    2-10 to 0-11

Mayo clean sweep in Connacht too.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Great performance by Castlebar in Tuam, Rochford is on his way :). I reckon of few of the Mitchel's lads will step up to the county panel.

Most definitely a number of the Mitchel lads should be in contention for a call up.Fantastic display by the Mitchels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Well done to the Mitchels and to the other Mayo teams:)
    Best of luck to all in their next games.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I think I'm like a broken record at times but I think Barry Moran doesn't get enough credit,he truly is a top class midfielder.His fielding abilities are second to none,he is an excellent distributor of the ball and always good for a score or two with an uncanny knack to pop up for the odd goal.
    I know he's had his fair share of injuries and isn't blessed with a blinding mobility but I feel he has been underutilised down through the years.

I really hope Stephen Rochford has a serious look at a number of these Mitchels lads.Patrick Durkan will surely become a regular fixture in the Mayo half back line,Danny Kirby and several others should be given serious consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

There is no doubt that Rochford will give youth their chance with Mayo, he did with Corofin.

Preparation will be top notch but intercounty tactical requirements are a whole new ball game and nothing throughout his time with Corofin showed an ability to adapt the game plan during a game, or to chase a game when it was needed.

To be fair to him though, he had them so well set up and prepared that Plan A was usually more than enough to get through. But Mayo fans thinking he is all that is needed to get this group over the line are wrong.

He is an excellent modern coach, but until he has a season done with Mayo, we wont know if he is just another Jason Ryan.

Corofin was a good job for Rochford too, a talented, young, large pool of players who were lacking the focus to take the step to the very top. He showed he was able to get the best out of them but its been clear this year that they were unable to sustain it. They should not have got out of Galway really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Watching the final yesterday it struck me, from Mayo problems defensively in the past, watching Mitchell`s display second half, which of the two managers would be more likely to solve that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Squatman

charlie14 wrote: »
    Watching the final yesterday it struck me, from Mayo problems defensively in the past, watching Mitchell`s display second half, which of the two managers would be more likely to solve that problem.

what do you mean? mitchells manager vs rochford, or holmes/connelly ?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement