Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Went to see it this evening & wasn't expecting a whole lot tbh.

Found it a hugely enjoyable romp though & thought the editing & direction of the fight sequences in particular were superb. I'd usually avoid action pics, as I find how most film-makers handle the violence is invariably dull & predictable, whereas the carnage that unfolded in the pub & the church were terrifically realised visual treats, which really drew you right into the scenes.

I think word of mouth will see this endeavour do very well at the box office & deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wow, trailer didn't impress me, film blew my mind. I've been watching lots of Oscar bait recently, after 2 and a half hours of boyhood, that was an adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Went to see it this evening & wasn't expecting a whole lot tbh.

Found it a hugely enjoyable romp though & thought the editing & direction of the fight sequences in particular were superb. I'd usually avoid action pics, as I find how most film-makers handle the violence is invariably dull & predictable, whereas the carnage that unfolded in the pub & the church were terrifically realised visual treats, which really drew you right into the scenes.

I think word of mouth will see this endeavour do very well at the box office & deservedly so.

I agree, if i recall, Kickass didnt start off too well either and word of mouth with high praises done it justice in the end. I can see this doing just as well, heck all I'm seeing is praise for the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just out from seeing I was expecting some PG mini Bond type film.

Well it really was a fun 2 hours with some great fight scenes were awesome I didn't think I would see anything top The John Wick fight scenes this year but this did.

Colin Firth could take over from Liam Neeson as the go to guy for the older action star if he wanted after.

Ridiculously entertaining with gratuitous violence and I loved it.

That scene in the church was one of the most amazing things in cinema.
    I really appreciate any excuse to put a highly trained agent on a rampage in the middle of the "I can't believe it's not the Westboro Baptist Church"
    - I really want that remix of Freebird, but looks like it'll be a little longer before the soundtrack comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

errlloyd wrote: »
    That scene in the church was one of the most amazing things in cinema.
    I really appreciate any excuse to put a highly trained agent on a rampage in the middle of the "I can't believe it's not the Westboro Baptist Church"
    - I really want that remix of Freebird, but looks like it'll be a little longer before the soundtrack comes out.

I agree, awesome scene. One little moan about it though was
    I didn't really know what was going on at first. I think if we had have had the plan explained in the build up it would have made it a little bit more enjoyable.

I didn't really know what was going on at first. I think if we had have had the plan explained in the build up it would have made it a little bit more enjoyable.

Yeah, I completely agree with that. Like they had explained kind of what had happened in Uganda and the other place, but yeah, still weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Fantastic trip to the cinema.

I think they purposely kept it secret so we would be surprised/taken back by the whole scene,
    what made the church scene so good is that it was out of nowhere and unexpected.

nix wrote: »
    I think they purposely kept it secret so we would be surprised/taken back by the whole scene,
    what made the church scene so good is that it was out of nowhere and unexpected.

Yeah I agree to an extent, just think that
    it may have been a bit better if seconds before Colin Firth shoots that woman we get to see Sam Jackson briefly explain the plan in that room he's in. I was just a little confused as to why a good guy had suddenly decided to kill about 200 people. That said, still a great scene, brilliantly shot.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

My only problem with the church scene and the film in general
    was the lack of blood. With the amount of stabbing, punching, shooting and dismembering that was on screen the place should have been soaked in blood. But there was barely a drop. I suppose that was necessary to get a 15 cert though
    . Really good film though – the two leads were excellent.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    was the lack of blood. With the amount of stabbing, punching, shooting and dismembering that was on screen the place should have been soaked in blood. But there was barely a drop. I suppose that was necessary to get a 15 cert though

I'd agree with you on that one. Too many films editing and chopping nowadays for a younger certificate. Thats one of the reasons I loved Gone Girl last year. It's an adult film with adult themes and as such has adult content and was given the 18 certificate. Whether you like that film or not, at least you know it was made in the way the filmmakers intended. Fincher and Tarantino are the only two directors that seem to be willing to force the issue on that these days (in terms of big, general release films).

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Yeah ive heard they made cuts to the movie to get a lower cert, although annoying they still got alot in considering. I hope they release the full version when going to dvd/blu ray.

I have a feeling the
    church scene was edited alot and the heads exploding at the end was edited also, it kinda just wreaked of censorship to me with the way the heads exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I wonder how much Diageo paid for that Pub scene with all the references to Guinness in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Skerries wrote: »
    I wonder how much Diageo paid for that Pub scene with all the references to Guinness in it

Was there more than one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No its only the one I recall.

Otacon wrote: »
    Was there more than one?

Well apart from him talking about his great pint of Guinness, there were ads all over the place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Well apart from him talking about his great pint of Guinness, there were ads all over the place for it.

I am probably desensitised to it then. I worked in a pub for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

After credit scene too back at the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i thought it was great craic.

not the best , but very very solid. i can see teenagers lining up in droves for this sort of thing as its right up their ally. despite being incredibly violent i can honestly say its done with such style that it somehow manages not to come off as gratuitious which is some feat.

and its got a lovey heart to it at its core.

as it kept referencing itself its a wonderful mix of 60s bond and modern superhero fare.

8/10.

good honest popcorn entertainment who's action scenes gets the heart pumping.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It owes more to Men in Black then James Bond really, despite its lack of aliens. From the suits, the secret base, the amnesia causing device, the weapons, and other parts of its plot besides.

Someone I know who worked on some aspect of the post production told me that about 53 seconds was cut in the UK in order to get the lower rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it last night and loved it. Can't want to see the uncut version whenever it comes out (the flowery fireworks display just looked stupid).

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the score was top notch too - especially noticeable during the parachute scene.

Mr E wrote: »
    Saw it last night and loved it. Can't want to see the uncut version whenever it comes out (the flowery fireworks display just looked stupid).

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the score was top notch too - especially noticeable during the parachute scene.

Forgot about the parachute scene, that was class. So intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Colin Firth could take over from Liam Neeson now as new action star :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hell of a lot of fun. Harmless, leave your brain at the door entertainment with real heart that doesn't take itself too seriously. Stylishly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Absolutely loved this.. great action with just the right amount of humour.

As mentioned,
    the church scene
    was just superb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Baffled by this nearly getting an 18 rating (hell it's even 16 here). The film's violence to me was more just a few dollops of CGI blood away from a 12A.

The movie was fine. I don't think it's as edgy, stylish, cool and irreverent as it thinks it is though. If anything it's a little too reverential to blockbuster trends. Preferred Kick-Ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Much better than kick-ass 2 though? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yeah but so is stubbing your toe. ;)

I did enjoy Kingsman overall but I just wish it didn't feel so much like a sheep in wolf's clothing. The plot and running time could have been seriously curtailed too imo.

Advertisement