Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Decent game, they needed a strong challenge after the Clare game to get the ball rolling again. When the game was there to be won in the last 15mins after Offaly bringing it back to a point they were immense especially around the middle of the field where they repeatedly won ball and drove out. Fitness levels was not an issue as they closed out the game and so the last 20mins of the Clare game may have been more a mental issue. A very big crowd at the game and the compacted pitch led to a good atmosphere.

The ref picked up where he left off after the Clare game and was totally inept. He had no problem waving to the goalkeeper to puck out the ball when Nagle was down on the pitch after a heavy collision which resulted in their free man scoring a point. Good reaction save from SOK in the last 5mins which made up for the goal in the first half when he came off his line and failed to catch the ball, so overall it was a good performance from him. I saw Mullane walk in just before the start so he must be pleased with the team’s performance and maybe his next article will be more positive. The younger players will benefit from the extra games so onwards and upwards from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

good win but never underestimate Westmeath, they will put up a huge challenge in front of there home fans. It will likely be played next saturday as a double header with the all ireland senoir football 1st round Qulifer Westmeath vs Fermanagh in Mullingar.

In phase 3 (due to be played on sat July 13th) we could possibly get Kilkenny/Laois?Tipperary/Dublin or Cork. If Cork win tomorrow than it most likly we will be playing Tipperary (as we cant play Clare again)

Would love to travel next weekend but have Daytripper hopefully i will hear the game before Madness kick off next Saturday.

Guess i was wrong about my predictions ah well :D:D

Great Statium is Tullamore also. The stand seemed to be full and there were lots of Waterford fans at the game too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Well done Waterford players and management on a hard fought win. Although there were only four points difference between the teams at the end, it really should have been more, only for a very soft goal conceded, lots of goal and point opportunities missed and a disgrace of a ref who was worth at least 5 points to Offaly. However, a one point win would have done and we can look forward to this team improving over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 crackinthewall

it is the general opinion that the ref was cat in the game ..... wadding was dropped from national panel this year (a joke).... but bring it closer to home, is wadding the top hurling ref in Waterford?? who is the best football ref in the county?.... who is the fittest?? who is the worst?? interesting views I reckon?????

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keanes Road

PTH2009 wrote: »
    good win but never underestimate Westmeath, they will put up a huge challenge in front of there home fans. It will likely be played next saturday as a double header with the all ireland senoir football 1st round Qulifer Westmeath vs Fermanagh in Mullingar.

In phase 3 (due to be played on sat July 13th) we could possibly get Kilkenny/Laois?Tipperary/Dublin or Cork. If Cork win tomorrow than it most likly we will be playing Tipperary (as we cant play Clare again)

Would love to travel next weekend but have Daytripper hopefully i will hear the game before Madness kick off next Saturday.

Guess i was wrong about my predictions ah well :D:D

Great Statium is Tullamore also. The stand seemed to be full and there were lots of Waterford fans at the game too

Afaik, the winners of the two games next week, most probably waterford and Wexford will wait to face the winners of the Munster semi final losers v Leinster semi final losers who square off in 2 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Keanes Road

doz wrote: »
    A yellow card was given to Brick at one stage after he was fouled coming out with the ball at and am yet to speak to anyone who knows why, someone enlighten me? I don't like to complain about refs but this man is clearly either not up to standard or will not give us decisions for whatever reason.
    !

With regards to the Brick incident, I actually think the ref got that the correct. Brick was coming out with the ball and hand passed it off to Fives (I think) an Offaly player was running in to try and intercept the pass or close down fives, but Brick quite deliberately then dived across the Offaly player and cleaned him out with a body check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Really enjoyed that game after missing the Clare game through work. Cracking ground they have there in Tullamore.

The ref was a joke but that's been well covered. Maurice Shanahan take a bow because that was a fantastic performance today. When we really needed it, Brick stepped up. He was unstoppable in the second half. Thought Paudie Prendergast had a very good game for a young lad, as did Jake Dillon who showed some lovely hurling. The save from SOK was ridiculous - there was an old couple from Westmeath next to me and they were in awe for about 5 minutes! Jamie Nagle warrants special mention too. Wouldn't have been his biggest fan in times gone by but I think he's really improved and was one of the best players on the park today. Pretty good performances all around aside from one or two.

We should get past Westmeath without too much trouble. Watch now, I'll have jinxed that now. :D

If we do, I'll be interested to see who we get then. With three games under our belts, we should be fighting fit and shouldn't have any excuses.

Working again next weekend and for the game two weeks after (if we get through) so I'm going to have to sort something out - couldn't possibly miss both of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

A competitive game between 2 poor hurling teams. There could have been riots had Waterford lost today such was the complete and utter ridicuous ineptitude of the referee and the bias of his decisions against us. he should not referee again at this level.

How I'd rate the players:
    O' Keefe - Failed to win a high ball that led to the opening goal. Only blot on the copy book but highlighted his one big weakness again. Puckouts were far superior to Iggy and his shot stopping from point blank range was incredibly good on 2 occasions to save our ass.
    Shane Fives -Looked a little uncomfortable at the beginning on Bergin but an assured performance as the game wore on. Think long term he will be full back when Dano returns next year
    Lawlor - Was solid for most of the game but badly caught out the time SOK made the wonder save and gifted a goal you wouldn't see in an U12 game
    Connors - Very good, all star form
    Nagle and Fives both played well in a half back line that dominated the second half
    Brick - Imperious. The one player we could not afford to lose
    P Prendergast - Put in a good hard shift. His shooting was poor bar his point. Went for a goal in the first minute when he should have taken his point
    Moran - Was colossal in the closing exchanges. At the start of the second half he had some very poor wides and probably should have passed instead of shooting. Had a ridiculous goal attempt when an easy point went abegging
    Dillon - Very hard working again. Brilliant at the start but faded as the game wore on and probably should have been subbed
    M Shanahan - Thats more fcuking like it. We all knew he could do it but today he announced himself as a serious intercounty player. Still missed the odd handy free and there was a moment in the second half he greedily went for goal when Brian O' Sullivan was in a better position
    Shane Sullivan - Decent game, he won't score much and to be fair its not his position but did a job when called upon and showed some good distribution after winning the ball clean in the air. Scored a monster point
    Barron - wasn't on long but doesn't look ready yet. at the time he was called ashore for Paudi O'Mahony he had done more than Brian O'Sullivan who hadn't done anything at that time. O'Mahnony played some nice balls in to BO'Sullivan. Did enough to reclaim his place for the next day
    O'Sullivan scored a great point just before half time from an acute angle near the sideline with nobody on him. When he is in open space he can score as he did today but I fear he is still too lightweight and will get brushed off it against better opposition
    Seamus - Awful should have been substituted very early in the second half. He looked stuck to the ground. If Walsh had been playing today with the same delivery he would have got 2-3 goals

Martin O'Neill and Richie Foley made late entrances too but not really on long enough to rate

Positives to take: Beat 16 men in front of opposition home crowd. Maurice and O'Keefe playing really well. Not fading physically in the last ten minutes. Good performance from the backline as a unit
    Negatives: Really bad goal to give away. Forwards not winning primary possession in the air. Very poor shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Good win today, am glad our summer hasn't ended here. Felt we will benefit from more games, and hopefully we will grow stronger if we can progress through the qualifiers, and nail down our game. I like that we are playing good hurling at times, and seek to play intelligent ball, but there will be much sterner challenges ahead, and I would like to see us get the scores from our direct, intelligent style.

Whats the story with the injury situation, especially with regards to Shane Walsh back. Also, I see Molumphy was mentioned as an injury on wlr, but thought he was simply away for the year with army commitments - has that changed ?

Molumphy is in the Lebanon so he won;t be around. Delighted this was the game we got, and that players turned the form of the Clare game.

If we think about, same situation as the Clare game except possibly worse. We were on top first half but missed two goal scoring opportunities, gifted them a goal and had had a strong wind at our backs. The referee clearly riding us as well. We were four points up but that was narrowed very quickly second half. With that in mind, the resilience from the players was absolutely excellent. We could have folded, but we didn't. We maybe should have won by more but I'm plenty happy with a win in what was a difficult assignment and I think we can work on a few things the next day.

Delighted we got this game against Offaly, will stand to the players and was talking to a Tipp lad earlier and he said he hopes that they;re not playing us in phase 3.
    robopaddy wrote: »
    just seen the highlights on RTE news. Remarkable save from SOK alright but jeez lawlor looked badly exposed. The goal was criminal to give away aswell. This has to be a worry

Look, in fairness to Liam Lawlor that's one mistake. He's been solid since he came in in 2010. I wasn't there today but from listening to the radio it was partially SOK's fault (who sounded like he had a great game) as well. Our own captain made a terrible blunder against Clare when he ran across his own goal the last day which caused the first goal. A class hurler in Noel Connors sounds like he was lucky he wasn;'t at fault for a separate goal in the first half with a similar handpass.

Look, I wasn't there. I dunno how Liam Lawlor played. But the man gets undue stick on this page at times I feel. Since he's come in, in 2010 does anyone remember him being destroyed? People talk about 2010 when Lar Corbett scored 1-4 on him I believe, but Lar was player of the year that year. In the same game, Eoin Murphy who was thought to have Eoin Kelly's number, conceded 2-1 off him. That match was purely a game where we were devoid of tactical nous.

He is playing in a position that has been a constant weakness for Waterford since atl east 2001 when I went to my first championship game. And he's been the bets full back we;ve had since Seanie Cullinane who was probably past his best at that stage.

Cut him some slack and afford him the same chance you;d give any of the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

With regards to the Brick incident, I actually think the ref got that the correct. Brick was coming out with the ball and hand passed it off to Fives (I think) an Offaly player was running in to try and intercept the pass or close down fives, but Brick quite deliberately then dived across the Offaly player and cleaned him out with a body check.

Interesting that someone could clear that up, I was a bit too far away to have a clear view.

I wonder will they show any of the blatant fouls the ref failed to give on the Sunday Game tonight or slip over the incidents and retreat to the football? That foul on Seamus was one of the most blatant penalties I have seen in all my years attending games, not to mention the other numerous fouls where nothing was given. If indeed a complaint was registered against this ref after the Clare game I think another complaint in far harsher terms should be made after that disgraceful display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Does anyone know where I could see highlights online? I'm mad to see this save by SOK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Molumphy is in the Lebanon so he won;t be around. Delighted this was the game we got, and that players turned the form of the Clare game.

If we think about, same situation as the Clare game except possibly worse. We were on top first half but missed two goal scoring opportunities, gifted them a goal and had had a strong wind at our backs. The referee clearly riding us as well. We were four points up but that was narrowed very quickly second half. With that in mind, the resilience from the players was absolutely excellent. We could have folded, but we didn't. We maybe should have won by more but I'm plenty happy with a win in what was a difficult assignment and I think we can work on a few things the next day.

Delighted we got this game against Offaly, will stand to the players and was talking to a Tipp lad earlier and he said he hopes that they;re not playing us in phase 3.

Look, in fairness to Liam Lawlor that's one mistake. He's been solid since he came in in 2010. I wasn't there today but from listening to the radio it was partially SOK's fault (who sounded like he had a great game) as well. Our own captain made a terrible blunder against Clare when he ran across his own goal the last day which caused the first goal. A class hurler in Noel Connors sounds like he was lucky he wasn;'t at fault for a separate goal in the first half with a similar handpass.

Look, I wasn't there. I dunno how Liam Lawlor played. But the man gets undue stick on this page at times I feel. Since he's come in, in 2010 does anyone remember him being destroyed? People talk about 2010 when Lar Corbett scored 1-4 on him I believe, but Lar was player of the year that year. In the same game, Eoin Murphy who was thought to have Eoin Kelly's number, conceded 2-1 off him. That match was purely a game where we were devoid of tactical nous.

He is playing in a position that has been a constant weakness for Waterford since atl east 2001 when I went to my first championship game. And he's been the bets full back we;ve had since Seanie Cullinane who was probably past his best at that stage.

Cut him some slack and afford him the same chance you;d give any of the rest of them.

I hear what your saying about Lawlor, during the naughties we were crying out for someone to plug that gap in the full back line I dont think theres anyone with a vendetta against him either people will just speak their mind thats what this page is for.

Personally I think he does a job. He needs a lot of protection from his corner backs and goalkeeper though because hes never going to be the kind of fullback that will lord his position. Hes not comfortable under a high ball and he can be exposed badly if if hes left on a one on one situation with his direct opponent. His best game was the AI quarter final against Galway in Thurles in 2011' he was outstanding that day.

He is prone to gaffes however seen a few of them yesterday and a few in the league aswell if he can eliminate that he'll be fine

it is the general opinion that the ref was cat in the game ..... wadding was dropped from national panel this year (a joke).... but bring it closer to home, is wadding the top hurling ref in Waterford?? who is the best football ref in the county?.... who is the fittest?? who is the worst?? interesting views I reckon?????

Tommy O'Sullivan is imo the best in the county, hurling and football. Very sharp and very confident. Will not ref intercounty games though. as far as I know has been nominated a few times but has turned it down hes not interested and in fairness who could blame him!

I was always shocked that Wadding was regarded so highly in the intercounty stakes not to mind get an All Ireland Ive seen him have some absolute stinkers at club level.

The only other 2 refs on the intercounty/munster panel at the moment are Maurice Condon and Pat Casey and to be honest it dosent say much for the quality of refereeing in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Tommy O'Sullivan is imo the best in the county, hurling and football. Very sharp and very confident. Will not ref intercounty games though. as far as I know has been nominated a few times but has turned it down hes not interested and in fairness who could blame him!

I was always shocked that Wadding was regarded so highly in the intercounty stakes not to mind get an All Ireland Ive seen him have some absolute stinkers at club level.

The only other 2 refs on the intercounty/munster panel at the moment are Maurice Condon and Pat Casey and to be honest it dosent say much for the quality of refereeing in Munster

I couldn't disagree with you more about Tommy Sullivan shocking referee Micky wadding is the best of a bad bunch, I think the referees should be constantly monitored in a semi pro way considering there gettin paid cash for games some referees do 5/6 games a week an take home a handy 200+ they should all be undergoing a refresher course every year, some decisions are crazy but maybe they don't fully understand the rules the GAA need to resolve these problems or the county board should try to arrange proper training for referees, the give respect get respect campaign is a waste of time without gettin the men in black up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Great win. great individual performances from Soky connors brick, paudie prender (my motm) maurice and i felt paudie mah coming on turned the game.. their centre back was lording it till he got pulled around a bit..

Their goal trying to blame sok was ridiculous ball hung up in the air for ages and he got no protection from the full back.. fella needs to be held out to protect the keeper but it didnt happen and after that when they did hold fellas out he plucked 3 great balls... so i think people are looking for some errors that really weren't there.. looked safe as houses..

Lawlor does some good thinks but id replace him with fives in full and darragh fives back in the corner.. the handpass last night was poor, he got cleaned v clare and last night only for sok double save he had been at fault for two goals and his man got 2 points too.. so its all well and good saying he is doing a job he isnt....

Paudie Prender really came of age last night superb performance and maurice showed a more all round game than his brother has and i think he will get great confidence..

Moran while does some good stuff is getting very one dimensional and incredibly greedy... he had pot shots from all angles last night and i counted 4 times either dillon or paudie mah were off him for a pass.. like his overlapping runs and his powerful running burns teams but he is taking it too far.. simple pass left or right so effective and better for the side..

Brick last twenty mins was imperious he just seemed to be everywhere.. funny saying that free was his fault.. i saw it brick slipped a pass to nagle the offaly fella lined him and went to do him but brick just horsed him over as he saw it coming.. ridiculous free just stood up for himself.. typical of that ref though he was looking for those types of frees all night as if he was being clever and had a real eye on the ball but he couldnt keep up with the play he'd be down the fair corner trying to be up with the play but with that wind the way it was ball was shifting to one side quickly and he couldnt get to the other side.. positionally he was incredibly poor.. how seamus prender didnt at least get two penalties..

overall great win with new guys stepping up.. no better than a quarter final team but the group is young and progressing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Cake Man wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could see highlights online? I'm mad to see this save by SOK!
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10159249/

Highlights from 16:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Spot on, I think anyone complaining about Lawlor must have a very selective memory when looking back over most of the last 10 years or so. For once we have a settled, capable full back, and personally I would not ask for more.

cheers but tis hard to skip on with the lovely sharon ni bhfeolain on the opening shot

worth a look. reminded me of a couple lads on here.... :D

http://www.davehannigan.com/2013/05/the-casual-gaa-fans-manifesto.html?spref=tw&m=1

Ha ha, a wonderful piece of biting humour - thanks for sharing, never saw it before :)

• Advertisement

Fantastic double save - almost worth having to put up with that gremlin Marty drone on about the *big* news that of Waterford *still* being in the championship, and Offaly having no more competitiveness the rest of this year. Oh how I cringe..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

is any of today's hurling on TV. or is it just all football

i hope they show cork and clare

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Fantastic double save - almost worth having to put up with that gremlin Marty drone on about the *big* news that of Waterford *still* being in the championship, and Offaly having no more competitiveness the rest of this year. Oh how I cringe..

i can't stand him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Hslaw wrote: »
    is any of today's hurling on TV. or is it just all football

i hope they show cork and clare

Yep on tv3.

They recommned that their viewers watch the match upside for best viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cant see the rte news highlights even because of RTEs stupid region block

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Great win. great individual performances from Soky connors brick, paudie prender (my motm) maurice and i felt paudie mah coming on turned the game.. their centre back was lording it till he got pulled around a bit..

Their goal trying to blame sok was ridiculous ball hung up in the air for ages and he got no protection from the full back.. fella needs to be held out to protect the keeper but it didnt happen and after that when they did hold fellas out he plucked 3 great balls... so i think people are looking for some errors that really weren't there.. looked safe as houses..

Lawlor does some good thinks but id replace him with fives in full and darragh fives back in the corner.. the handpass last night was poor, he got cleaned v clare and last night only for sok double save he had been at fault for two goals and his man got 2 points too.. so its all well and good saying he is doing a job he isnt....

Paudie Prender really came of age last night superb performance and maurice showed a more all round game than his brother has and i think he will get great confidence..

Moran while does some good stuff is getting very one dimensional and incredibly greedy... he had pot shots from all angles last night and i counted 4 times either dillon or paudie mah were off him for a pass.. like his overlapping runs and his powerful running burns teams but he is taking it too far.. simple pass left or right so effective and better for the side..

Brick last twenty mins was imperious he just seemed to be everywhere.. funny saying that free was his fault.. i saw it brick slipped a pass to nagle the offaly fella lined him and went to do him but brick just horsed him over as he saw it coming.. ridiculous free just stood up for himself.. typical of that ref though he was looking for those types of frees all night as if he was being clever and had a real eye on the ball but he couldnt keep up with the play he'd be down the fair corner trying to be up with the play but with that wind the way it was ball was shifting to one side quickly and he couldnt get to the other side.. positionally he was incredibly poor.. how seamus prender didnt at least get two penalties..

overall great win with new guys stepping up.. no better than a quarter final team but the group is young and progressing...

Ha I think you'll find even Brick will admit the ref caught him rotten there. He swung at the man after the ball was gone. As happens with Brick a lot, he really came into it after that. Always hurls best when he gets a bit angry!

Also I thought Paidi P was loose in midfield and improved considerably when put back to left wing back. Half back line absolutely cleaned up for the last twenty minutes and that was the winning of it.

Shane it was the two midfielders bursting through for the two clear cut goal chances too. Can't but feel if it was jake or Jamie they'd have buried it too. Jake also v unlucky with the booted effort second half. If anything, he made too good a connection. Have to say absolutely love watching jake play. So full of running and so lively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Spot on, I think anyone complaining about Lawlor must have a very selective memory when looking back over most of the last 10 years or so. For once we have a settled, capable full back, and personally I would not ask for more.

I don't think hes capable at all, hes there for the taking. I dunno how Waterford havnt found a better full back since cullinane. hes too laboured and casual with the ball, hes striking is too slow, hes very negative and tends to play the man. its lucky we've a good corner back there in noel Connors to cover him. id be of the opinion that shane fives would have more hurling for the position. when daniels comes back id have a full back line of Connors, fives and daniels. id even put dara fives back in the corner and try shane fives in full back, put moran wing back because moran gets notions about his shooting capabilities when you put him mid field.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

I don't think hes capable at all, hes there for the taking. I dunno how Waterford havnt found a better full back since cullinane. hes too laboured and casual with the ball, hes striking is too slow, hes very negative and tends to play the man. its lucky we've a good corner back there in noel Connors to cover him. id be of the opinion that shane fives would have more hurling for the position. when daniels comes back id have a full back line of Connors, fives and daniels. id even put dara fives back in the corner and try shane fives in full back, put moran wing back because moran gets notions about his shooting capabilities when you put him mid field.

What gives you the indication that Shane Fives would do well at full back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

glick6 wrote: »
    What gives you the indication that Shane Fives would do well at full back?

he has won 2 Fitzgibbon cups in the position and has a couple of fitz all stars at full back, he played there with the county u21s for 2 years, played there when they got to munster final a few years back. think that's enough of an indication don't you? Lawlor is a converted full back, he hadn't played there with the county at underage and he plays centre forward for his club.

• Advertisement

Well, as long as we have a full back who can prevent goals, that is the main priority, even if that involves playing the man. Full back play does not need to be fancy, just effective, and would argue most of the guys we tried in the position for the last 10 years or so, probably had too much hurling for the position and were better players than defenders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement