Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Hon Waterford :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Hon the déise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

YESSSSSSSS, phew some relief! Huge wides tally but much better second half, well done lads! Great win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Delighted with that. Fair play to the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cake Man wrote: »
    YESSSSSSSS, phew some relief! Huge wides tally but much better second half, well done lads! Great win!

I dont think there was ever a waterford win/lose without a huge wide tally.
    Tis part of their game at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

jesus that ref is brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Ollie Baker says "Dan is Maurice's Brother not the other way round" in 10 years time, I think this will be the tipping point that we remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

Can Waterford get Wexford in the qualifier draw? If so will it be played in Nowlan park as a neutral ground?

Wouldn't mind seeing that one if it came about, there'd be some atmosphere at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Listening to MID103, could have been a bigger win seemingly only Waterford passed maybe a bit too much in first half. There was great talk of Offaly after the KK match but I was chatting to an ex offaly allstar during the week. KK were never going to loose. The hot day, the travel to Tullamore etc, KK had no interest in putting on a show. They kept it in second gear, got the win and made offaly look better than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Without looking past Westmeath next week lads, who could we get after tht in the 3rd round qualifiers? Could we get Tipp or losers of Cork/Clare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ref needs a kick in the bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

randd1 wrote: »
    Can Waterford get Wexford in the qualifier draw? If so will it be played in Nowlan park as a neutral ground?

Wouldn't mind seeing that one if it came about, there'd be some atmosphere at it.
    We're away to Westmeath in Mullingar next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

we were lucky to win today, ref was an absolute disgrace, whats the sense of appointing a ref from Westmeath when the winners would meet Westmeath in the next round? and what would they know about hurling in Westmeath anyway, james McGrath is a bollix.
    liam lawlor is dodgy fullback, not upto the level we need and only for soky pulled off that save near the end saved our arses. we hit too many wides from scorable chances and Maurice really stepped up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

wooohooo were into the first round of the qualifiers!

we were lucky to win today, ref was an absolute disgrace, whats the sense of appointing a ref from Westmeath when the winners would meet Westmeath in the next round? and what would they know about hurling in Westmeath anyway, james McGrath is a bollix.
    liam lawlor is dodgy fullback, not upto the level we need and only for soky pulled off that save near the end saved our arses. we hit too many wides from scorable chances and Maurice really stepped up today.

but we won....

robopaddy wrote: »
    but we won....

yes we did but I expected us to, we are a better team, better hurlers and we'll win next week and hopefully these games will be a good experience for the young lads

Cake Man wrote: »
    Without looking past Westmeath next week lads, who could we get after tht in the 3rd round qualifiers? Could we get Tipp or losers of Cork/Clare?

thats it exactly. losers of dublin/kilkenny will be there aswell

I thought there was a rule where you wouldn't have a ref from the county who was awaiting the decider ?

I thought there was a rule where you wouldn't have a ref from the county who was awaiting the decider ?

at least we cant get him next week anyway!!!

at least we cant get him next week anyway!!!

McGrath and sexton are the 2 worse referees ive seen in a while, to be fair to wadding and mcallister who got the chop, they were better than that two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Good win today, am glad our summer hasn't ended here. Felt we will benefit from more games, and hopefully we will grow stronger if we can progress through the qualifiers, and nail down our game. I like that we are playing good hurling at times, and seek to play intelligent ball, but there will be much sterner challenges ahead, and I would like to see us get the scores from our direct, intelligent style.

Whats the story with the injury situation, especially with regards to Shane Walsh back. Also, I see Molumphy was mentioned as an injury on wlr, but thought he was simply away for the year with army commitments - has that changed ?

Good win today, am glad our summer hasn't ended here. Felt we benefit from more games, and hopefully we will grow stronger if we can progress through the qualifiers, and nail down our game. I like that we are playing good hurling at times, and seek to play intelligent ball, but there will be much sterner challenges ahead, and I would like to see us get the scores from our direct, intelligent style.

Whats the story with the injury situation, especially with regards to Shane Walsh back. Also, I see Molumphy was mentioned as an injury on wlr, but thought he was simply away for the year with army commitments - has that changed ?

No Molumphy is away for the year so just forget about him! Westmeath next week another long trek away cant take them for granted but should win all the same. If we get through that its the serious businessthen but only one game away from an AI quarter final who knows what can happen!

Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

The worst performance on the field tonight was from the refereee James McGrath. Who gave this fellow a whistle, he has to be the worst referee I have ever seen. A blatant penalty decision as Seamus was pulled down in the square and he deemed this a free out. Left play go on as Jamie Nagle was injured on the ground this is clearly dangerous play. Its rare to give out about the man in the middle when you win but he could have cost us this game and at times it looked like he was doing exactly that. Well done to the lads. A lot of work need to be done on our wide tally as 17 wides is just not good enough going forward, but at least that is what we are doing now. Well done to Michael Ryan as he must have felt the presure this evening especially when Liam Lawler gifted Offaly a goal just as we were begining to dominate this game. This should give the whole team a lift they badly needed as this was a real tricky game to come away with a win. It shows that they have the bottle for tough games and have enough quality on the bench to make changes when they were needed. Well done to Paudi Mahoney for a much better showing than the last day this has to give him a boost. I think Steven O'Keeke has without a doubt worked his way to the number one position from his fine display tonight. Who knows how far we will go but sure lets just enjoy it. Hard luck to Offaly their year is over now which is a pity but the best team won and that's all I wished for before the start of the game.

McGrath and sexton are the 2 worse referees ive seen in a while, to be fair to wadding and mcallister who got the chop, they were better than that two

Problem is they want someone who can be neutral when it comes to semis and you cant get that from the trad counties.

well he cant be as bad as Barry Kelly :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Phew.... got through which is main thing. A win is a win in what always was a dangerous game. Delighted for Maurice Shanahan. Westmeath will be a lot easier and no harm as it is coming up next week, but much tougher opposition awaits. Sounds like some good displays but some poor ones as well. Had to turn over to Midlands FM during game as much better commentary than on WLR and not as biased.

just seen the highlights on RTE news. Remarkable save from SOK alright but jeez lawlor looked badly exposed. The goal was criminal to give away aswell. This has to be a worry

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

the 17 wides and not taking their goal chances when presented would be issues as well!

the 17 wides and not taking their goal chances when presented would be issues as well!

I know but you can take positives from that at least were creating chances need to work on taking them. I wasnt at the game so Im not really in a position to judge but from what little bit I saw there would have to be reservations about fullback???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Great atmosphere at the ground today and the pitch was in superb condition, pity about the weather generally as there was a very strong breeze which was in our favour first half.

We were quite sloppy first half in terms of taking chances and handed Offaly a goal from nothing early on. The gap in standard between the teams was all too clear but not reflected by our slim four point lead at the break. Offaly battled well to their credit but were guilty of some poor late challenges in my view. SOK looked very assured under high ball and puckouts were far better than against Clare.

Particularly at the start of the second half but also throughout the game the ref was an absolute disgrace, much the same as he was in Thurles two weeks ago. Two clear blatant penalties given as free outs and Offaly got a foot hold in the game as a result and got level soon afterwards. A yellow card was given to Brick at one stage after he was fouled coming out with the ball at and am yet to speak to anyone who knows why, someone enlighten me? I don't like to complain about refs but this man is clearly either not up to standard or will not give us decisions for whatever reason.

All credit to the lads from that point on as they dominated the rest of the game, if not the scoreboard. The usual suspects such as Brick, Connors and Moran upped their game and there were also excellent contributions from Nagle, Shane Fives and Brian O'Sullivan. In truth almost all players with the exception of Seamus had good second halves. Don't know what happened Seamus today but he didn't look sharp and his touch was poor.

MOTM, hard to suggest anyone other than Shan who's scoring from play and general play was superb. SOK also outstanding when called upon.

The high number of wides was again a big issue as we really should have won this with plenty to spare, many Offaly fans I spoke to were bemused by how close it finished. Liam Lawlor clearly at fault for the goal but thought he recovered well. Jamie Barron is not ready for this level and was taken off early but it was more useful experience for a player who will be an undoubted star of Waterford hurling in my view.

Delighted with result and improved performance. Was speaking to John Mullane afterwards and I doubt there was a happier man leaving the ground, full of praise for the players efforts. Could be argued his article was well intentioned!

• Advertisement

I know but you can take positives from that at least were creating chances need to work on taking them. I wasnt at the game so Im not really in a position to judge but there would have to be reservations about fullback???

he was never upto the position, never commanded the square, always too casual coming out with the ball, slow to strike, but I suppose theres no one else for the position. shane walsh should be fit for the next day and paudie should start, id imagine barron will lose out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement