Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Just a quick note on The 57 Headline at the top of Clanbrassil Street at the SCR junction...

I go past it on my way home from work, it was closed this evening...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I go past it on my way home from work, it was closed this evening...

Tonight was their staff Christmas party so the pub was closed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 drohanzy

I'm going to a party in the Old Mill in Tallaght on Saturday night and was wondering what the selection of beer on tap is like there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

drohanzy wrote: »
    I'm going to a party in the Old Mill in Tallaght on Saturday night and was wondering what the selection of beer on tap is like there?

According to their FB page they do craft beer

1601405_754416811340817_4289172580064535061_n.png?oh=031eb711c86ba4902961114fbf085d46&oe=5523FE4D&__gda__=1431895347_81c32b3dd4a188f47d4630c72e4be2a7

That could mean anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »
    According to their FB page they do craft beer

1601405_754416811340817_4289172580064535061_n.png?oh=031eb711c86ba4902961114fbf085d46&oe=5523FE4D&__gda__=1431895347_81c32b3dd4a188f47d4630c72e4be2a7

That could mean anything though.

It's an up date of the mid naughties we have "World Beers" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I've noticed that the Norseman in Temple Bar has gone seriously downhill lately. Little to no rotation, a lot of taps dry.

I remember going in there a few months ago and they had 4 taps of 8 degrees. Doubles, imperials etc.

Anyone know whats going on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've noticed that the Norseman in Temple Bar has gone seriously downhill lately. Little to no rotation, a lot of taps dry.

I remember going in there a few months ago and they had 4 taps of 8 degrees. Doubles, imperials etc.

Anyone know whats going on?

Few posts on it here but basically they've been offered money by one of the multinational brewers if they stop selling Irish beer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057124382&page=320

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

irish_goat wrote: »
    Few posts on it here but basically they've been offered money by one of the multinational brewers if they stop selling Irish beer.

That's disgraceful. I'm never stepping in there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

You have to feel bad for the publicans being under such pressure, caught between the multinationals and those flippin' hipsters and their poncy beers, but unless people vote with their feet, the pubs will always be swayed by the multinationals. I wonder what the multinationals' long-term strategy and reading of the situation is, do they feel they're fighting a rearguard action and they're trying to hold on to their huge market share as long as possible, or do they think the whole craft thing is a passing fad and that in five to ten years we'll have forgotten about it?

The thing is though, even if craft beer does remain a minority taste, this kind of thing can be bad for business. For example, in a group of five or six people heading out for pints, maybe one or two are into craft beer. In some cases the group will head to the pub selling craft beer because the non-craft fans can still get their normal beer, whereas the craft drinkers are highly unlikely to go somewhere not selling the craft stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Aren't there supposed to be competition laws against dominant suppliers pulling stunts like that?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aren't there supposed to be competition laws against dominant suppliers pulling stunts like that?

It's just an exclusivity deal so afaik it's perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Hi all,

Any recommendations for a pub in Templeogue / Terenure / Rathfarnham area with craft beer on tap?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Vaughan's in Terenure has a couple of O'Hara's taps. If you can make it to Rathgar, The 108 has a great selection of Galway Bay and guest beers.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Vaughan's in Terenure has a couple of O'Hara's taps. If you can make it to Rathgar, The 108 has a great selection of Galway Bay and guest beers.

Never thought about the 108 - cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

BeerNut wrote: »

Also, the Terenure Sports Club (CYM) has some craft beers in stock and the Yellow House has (Well, they had a year ago when last I called in.) Ó'Hara bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Looking for a recommendation for somewhere that does craft beer and food, for about 15 people for a 30th birthday in dublin city centre, if anyone has any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for somewhere that does craft beer and food, for about 15 people for a 30th birthday in dublin city centre, if anyone has any ideas.

The 57th headlines or Mulligans grocers both good choices with the space

Zymurgist wrote: »

Porterhouse or Bull & Castle would be good options too.

JW Sweetman does this sort of thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Do Sweetmans stock other craft beers or is it just the in-house range?

• Advertisement

There's generally a token tap or two from one of the other micros.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was in the Bull & Castle for the first time in a good while the other night. Wtf have they done with the place? Full of kids, crap chart pop music, pitchers of cocktails and a beer menu that's only a fraction of what it used to be. I can't see myself returning any time soon, which is a shame because I always liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Zaph wrote: »
    Was in the Bull & Castle for the first time in a good while the other night. Wtf have they done with the place? Full of kids, crap chart pop music, pitchers of cocktails and a beer menu that's only a fraction of what it used to be. I can't see myself returning any time soon, which is a shame because I always liked it.

That sounds horrendous, myself and herself always like going there as the range of beer has always been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The selection is still great, however they've chopped it down a bit. There's now a guinness and heineken tap, cask is no longer at the bar or has to be pumped up from the 2 flights from the cellar (haven't ordered cask in there in a long time). As uncomfortable as the long wooden benches were the new seats are awful especially the high seats, me thinks they're designed to get people in and out after 2-3 pints.

That being said the food is still great, and in fairness their cocktails are fairly heavy hitting ones and not like the watered-down ones you get elsewhere.

Hopefully they'll realise some of this and with the opening of the beer market hopefully the competition will give them a nudge back in the right direction.

cask is no longer at the bar or has to be pumped up from the 2 flights from the cellar
    The barrel is kept under the counter upstairs, I'm told. €4.50 a pint for the cask, which isn't bad.

ah must have changed since so. I remember Dave telling me that it was pumped up the two flights. I'll retract that now :).

In fairness, Dave would know better than I would.

nah I'm beginning to think my info is out of date tbh. I heard that the first week of them re-opening, he did mention they were planning to bring it back upstairs so I can only assume they've done that :).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Gone downhill since I left you'se are saying? :pac:

I still like it but I admit that it's probably mainly for nostalgic reasons and cause I know the staff. The focus has definitely shifted from the beer but they seem to do a roaring trade on the cocktails so I can't imagine they'll change that aspect anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Gone downhill since I left you'se are saying? :pac:

I still like it but I admit that it's probably mainly for nostalgic reasons and cause I know the staff. The focus has definitely shifted from the beer but they seem to do a roaring trade on the cocktails so I can't imagine they'll change that aspect anytime soon.

A bar that was lets face it renowned for its craft beer selection, stops focusing on the beer etc and focus's instead on cocktails.
    Im confused as to why they didn't stay doing what they were good at and add in the cocktails and do them well as well....I like bars that do good cocktails, they're easy on the eye ;)

Advertisement