Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you could get the lume as a powder you could mix it into a water clear epoxy and that would yield a finish suitable for an external bezel.

Legend! That may well be what I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shano76

Eoin wrote: »
    This arrived today. Some people say this model wears on the small side (it's 41mm), not sure if I disagree or if I am just getting used to smaller watches these days. Build feels as good as expected, and the strap is very comfortable.

That is a beautiful watch, Eoin. Well wear. The 104 is on my hit list. I'm in Munich around Chirstmas every year (or, at least I used to be!!) to visit family & I was planning to pick one up while there this year. That's not going to happen now, obviously, so will probably hold out til next year.

I flip/flop between the black dial & your blue sunburst. Have you had the opportunity to try both or did you just go for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,202 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

shano76 wrote: »
    Eoin wrote: »
    T Have you had the opportunity to try both or did you just go for it?

like most of the longer tenured posters in here, id be amazed if it wasnt the latter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

shano76 wrote: »
    That is a beautiful watch, Eoin. Well wear. The 104 is on my hit list. I'm in Munich around Chirstmas every year (or, at least I used to be!!) to visit family & I was planning to pick one up while there this year. That's not going to happen now, obviously, so will probably hold out til next year.

I flip/flop between the black dial & your blue sunburst. Have you had the opportunity to try both or did you just go for it?

I just went with it. I wanted something that didn't have a black dial, so it was between this and the white version - and the sunburst dial won out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-21-at-11-08-11.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    Legend! That may well be what I try.
    +1 to cnocbui's suggestion. That's what I've done with lume in the past. Get the powered stuff and you can add whatever carrier water or oil based or epoxy you like and can tint it with watercolours(teeny amounts, the higher quality the better) for any lume matching for vintage stuff, or the vintage effect.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Drinking coffee waiting for the bank holiday to get here

5uE871kl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Tisell explorer homage really is an incredible watch for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Having booked tomorrow off, was only this morning I realised Monday was a bank holiday. So much time for activities...

Anyway, begone office/bedroom.

530183.jpg

I'll use my time learning how to embed images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭micks_address

i just use ibb image hosting.. upload from phone.. gives you bbcode full linked url links and paste into post..

Screenshot-20201022-162540.png

PXL-20201022-152343645.jpg

Thanks Mick.

I don't appreciate you photoshopping my watch onto your wrist though :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or ye can wait for the Wibbulator(tm)(c) to tweak and embed it. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or ye can wait for the Wibbulator(tm)(c) to tweak and embed it. :D

If the Wibbulator (tm) (c) (MBE) doesn't mind :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

So the Sinn 104 finally arrived - absolutely thrilled with it.

Rated as "fair condition" on Chrono24 and better condition than any of my watches by far. The bezel was about half a click misaligned and I suspect the main reason the seller was letting it go. An absolute gent, the best communication of any deal I've done so far and happy to provide macro shots on request. Classic case of buying the seller not the watch!

Having researched, I discovered there are 9 possible bearing positions for fine adjustment. I got it dead centered with this handy guide and 2 mins with a screwdriver.

Very honest seller, all packaging and outer boxes absolutely mint, an unused Sinn alligator strap included. Desk dives on the clasp and fine hairline scratches on two replaceable links is all I can see with my naked eye (came with three more links, already swapped). Might scotchbrite the clasp at a later date, doesn't bother me in the slightest - it's a tool watch and inevitable either way. Will be leaving it on the H link, love the robustness and fit.

So here's a quick 'n' dirty snap of my new to me 104. More to follow I'm sure when I'm stuck at home again for the next 6 weeks with a bit more free time!

530190.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

i just use ibb image hosting.. upload from phone.. gives you bbcode full linked url links and paste into post..

Be seriously careful, that hasn’t stripped the meta data from the image; part of the reason I like Flickr. For example, I can see where that photo was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Cool watch David. I like the way the days are in German too. Thats the type of thing that would appeal to me if I was looking for Sinn.

Why when the attach files option is used does the photo appear sometimes and only in the attachment link at other times ?

redlead wrote: »
    Cool watch David. I like the way the days are in German too. Thats the type of thing that would appeal to me if I was looking for Sinn.
    Thanks!

I had mentioned previously I was culling the herd to a utilitarian 2 watch German collection. I feel this and the Stowa Marine compliment each other very well And cover a lot of bases for me.

Loving the German days too. I was apprehensive about the Sellita but it feels very solid. Smooth rotor movement, nice feel to the wind and an instant click over two positions to increment the day wheel at midnight. None of this Seiko “come back to me in 2hrs nonsense. Seller rated it at +4 seconds per day so we’ll see how that goes. Sinn are famous for regulating their movements to decent tolerances (if not their bezels at least!) fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Why when the attach files option is used does the photo appear sometimes and only in the attachment link at other times ?

when it appears inline and as an attachment, it means the poster attached the image, opened the attachment and embedded its url in IMG tags. it can be handier than using another site but whatever floats your uboat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

when it appears inline and as an attachment, it means the poster attached the image, opened the attachment and embedded its url in IMG tags. it can be handier than using another site but whatever floats your uboat.

I find it handier, you don't have to actually have to open the attachment. Just right click attachment after uploading and copy link address and paste that into the image tags. Only thing to bear in mind is you need to resize the photo before uploading. The image hosting sites can be handy alright as they can resize the photo/give thumbnail options you can link through.

No guarantee how long some of them will be hosted though. All my older images are gone as the site I was using is now dead. Hope boards attachments last as long as boards is around but no guarantee of that either especially with the way the site has being acting up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Also purchased a Sinn that arrived yesterday. Very happy with it.

530253.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Beautiful

love the sinn 556a... almost bought a few times.... any details on purchase?

Congratulation on the new Sinns guys, they are both very nice!

Its new watch day for me too, the postman just brought me a present before the weekend.

WfFdMn1l.jpg
    Steinhart GMT Ocean 1.

A spur of the moment purchase, and my third Steinhart. I had sold my Ocean 1 about 6 months ago when I had a clear out and suffered a bit of sellers remorse. Happy enough to replace it with this piece.

80% of the quality of the Rolex GMT Master II at less than 10% of the price!

unkel wrote: »

It really does make you question the sanity of spending that much on a GMT Master II. With that said, if I had the cash I would upgrade tomorrow! When has sanity ever been associated with watch collecting?!! :D

Have to agree.
    I have the pepsi version that I picked up from Fitz and it has rapidly become one of my favourites.

We'll have a few Hail Mary's after all these Sinn's lads. Love the 556!

david wrote: »
    We'll have a few Hail Mary's after all these Sinn's lads
    :D +1. If I were in the market for a new/current watch Sinn would be pretty much top of my personal list.

david wrote: »
    We'll have a few Hail Mary's after all these Sinn's lads. Love the 556!

I'm seriously considering an 856utc I love the look of it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

The extra “20 percent“ (and it’s way more than 20 percent IMO) is worth it.

Buy the best you can with your budget. The difference between a Rolex and steinhart is day and night.

If you only focus on “value for money” then why bother with Steinhart? Seiko would be much better value for money in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

893bet wrote: »
    The extra “20 percent“ (and it’s way more than 20 percent IMO) is worth it.

Buy the best you can with your budget. The difference between a Rolex and steinhart is day and night.

If you only focus on “value for money” then why bother with Steinhart? Seiko would be much better value for money in comparison.

That's a very good point.

In your opinion, who more or less matches the overall quality of Rolex, in tool watch department, but does not have the brand caché and consequently does not command the same price?

Is it a traditional Swiss manufacturer, or a far eastern candidate, or perhaps someone more Teutonic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    That's a very good point.

In your opinion, who more or less matches the overall quality of Rolex, in tool watch department, but does not have the brand caché and consequently does not command the same price?

Is it a traditional Swiss manufacturer, or a far eastern candidate, or perhaps someone more Teutonic?

I wouldn’t have experience of handling any far or near eastern brands to even comment and have gone fairly niche in the last few years in terms of buying and even handling watches.

Omega very comfortable match Rolex and exceed them interns of finish but don’t have the “cache” and fall further behind in that department daily it seems.

Agreed that the extra 20% can be worth it. Do not agree that Omega have the same quality feel as Rolex though. They are nearly the same price it seems today so someone in the Omega marketing department deserves a mega bonus for making people believe they are as good :pac:

893bet wrote: »
    I wouldn’t have experience of handling any far or near eastern brands to even comment and have gone fairly niche in the last few years in terms of buying and even handling watches.

Omega very comfortable match Rolex and exceed them interns of finish but don’t have the “cache” and fall further behind in that department daily it seems.

Would agree regarding Omega, they seem to be making a really concerted effort to ride the coat tails of Rolex' price inflation and to keep themselves positioned as an alternative.
    I think the problem with that is, if you look for a Rolex sub, you are told waitlist for 8k or grey market for 10k.
    The usual immediate alternative is an Omega, thing is that the price has jumped considerably over the last few years (not that I've bought one or know much more than I've read).

Trying to reconcile the new cost of a Seamaster, versus the lower 2nd hand value and comparing that to the unique pricing of the new sub and an even higher 2nd hand price is impossible.

That said, the Omega is a lovely watch and in a world where Rolex is the benchmark for quality?
    I'd have to agree that Omega meet and even exceed it, and there is a huge variety of models at good 2nd hand value IMO.

Yeah the new bond Seamaster is like 8.5k? I would have said Omega all day long because they were cheaper but if you are paying Rolex money then id probably look at Rolex. The Seamaster will drop value much much quicker..
    banie01 wrote: »
    Would agree regarding Omega, they seem to be making a really concerted effort to ride the coat tails of Rolex' price inflation and to keep themselves positioned as an alternative.
    I think the problem with that is, if you look for a Rolex sub, you are told waitlist for 8k or grey market for 10k.
    The usual immediate alternative is an Omega, thing is that the price has jumped considerably over the last few years (not that I've bought one or know much more than I've read).

Trying to reconcile the new cost of a Seamaster, versus the lower 2nd hand value and comparing that to the unique pricing of the new sub and an even higher 2nd hand price is impossible.

That said, the Omega is a lovely watch and in a world where Rolex is the benchmark for quality?
    I'd have to agree that Omega meet and even exceed it, and there is a huge variety of models at good 2nd hand value IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Interesting.

Love to see the various view points on this.

Omega doesnt have the feels for me the way Rolex does, although I cannot fault the quality of Omega watches. Rolex has an solidity to it, and a quality of materials that is hard to put your finger on. Steinhart is not even in the ballpark and one wind of the crown and you are immediately reminded that its nowhere near. Steinhart is good dont get me wrong, but its many grades below.

AP is had more quality than rolex, the finishing is beyond supurb. No real time with patek to make comment. I would class JLC as a finer made watch than Rolex but nowhere near the cache.

Rolex have a unique niche carved out in that 8-12k bracket of sports watches. Nobody else has the total package. Omega are trying but they need to work on the branding and raising that level of desirability.

Omega are in a funny place at the moment. They are desperately trying to keep themselves associated with Rolex in terms of their main competitor so the prices seem to be going up bit but at the other end a lot of Rolex fanboys are desperately trying to promote Tudor as a worthy alternative to Omega (there is absolutely no comparison to be had there). I've never owned an Omega or a Rolex but have held a fair few of them and in my opinion Omega slightly pips rolex on finish and Rolex probably pips Omega on robustness. They really are worthy adversaries but the closer to Rolex Omegas are in price, the harder it is justify buying one over a rolex because of their residuals. My personal preference astethically is always Omega but Rolex will always be Rolex. The brand goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,202 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »
    Omega doesnt have the feels for me the way Rolex does, although I cannot fault the quality of Omega watches. Rolex has an solidity to it, and a quality of materials that is hard to put your finger on. Steinhart is not even in the ballpark and one wind of the crown and you are immediately reminded that its nowhere near. Steinhart is good dont get me wrong, but its many grades below.

AP is had more quality than rolex, the finishing is beyond supurb. No real time with patek to make comment. I would class JLC as a finer made watch than Rolex but nowhere near the cache.

Rolex have a unique niche carved out in that 8-12k bracket of sports watches. Nobody else has the total package. Omega are trying but they need to work on the branding and raising that level of desirability.

agreed, its whats behind the boutique push so to put an end to AD discounts, nothing devalues your value proposition as much as the fella two doors down doing them at 20% off.

Omega are in a funny place at the moment. They are desperately trying to keep themselves associated with Rolex in terms of their main competitor so the prices seem to be going up bit but at the other end a lot of Rolex fanboys are desperately trying to promote Tudor as a worthy alternative to Omega (there is absolutely no comparison to be had there). I've never owned an Omega or a Rolex but have held a fair few of them and in my opinion Omega slightly pips rolex on finish and Rolex probably pips Omega on robustness. They really are worthy adversaries but the closer to Rolex Omegas are in price, the harder it is justify buying one over a rolex because of their residuals. My personal preference astethically is always Omega but Rolex will always be Rolex. The brand goes a long way.

Yes, totally agree. Tudor has basically taken the place that omega had in the 3-4k sports model. I am super impressed with Tudor and I have had excellent success quickly and painlessly flipping them in the past. You would once get a seamaster 300p as your first "proper swiss" but now that nearly 6k and a blackbay makes more sense. Great watch, hard as nails and descent designs. Omega are now in that higher price point. The Co-axial movements are superior than Rolex for METAS certification but they are a little more fragile. But as you say as they creep up in price to the submariner level they are playing a difficult game. Then Omega and their editions....holy crap, its a nightmare. The darkside I recently got, I had a choice of the original, a faux patina one, a yellow one, and grey one, a all black one, and one with a meteorite dial. Its hard develop a classic design when you dilute the stock out there so much.

Steinhart are not playing this game at all. They pump out hommage watches, with ETA movements at a price that is tempting to the new collector (hell I was temped as a new collector and many times since, so damn attainable and easy to sell on). They are a gateway watch, one to give you a taste and get you hooked I respect Steinhart in so much as when I see somebody with one I know they are on the choo choo train and the next station is fine destination. Banie I am looking at you....this time in 2022 you will defo be rocking a Rolex or some high level Omega.

If I was to go into Weirs and buy a Seamaster could I expect to be offered a 20% discount easily enough (with a of haggling obviously)?

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    If I was to go into Weirs and buy a Seamaster could I expect to be offered a 20% discount easily enough (with a of haggling obviously)?

Nope....there is policy of no discount on Omega now. I have previously gotten good discounts in the 15-25% range but its come down from the top no more discounting in a AD. Joomashop and the grey's are giving good discounts and expect around 40% on nearly new ones private sale (Omega on the secondary private sale market is fantastic for bargains (my darkside was nearly half retail and its a 2019 stamp on the warranty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Rolex's cachet I think is down to heavy advertising on the back of National Gegraphic and probably other magazines in the US in the mid 20th century, rather than any innate technical or quality superiority. My father, who's life spanned most of the 20C had a fairly ambivelent attitude to Rolex.

Interestingly, I think Tag Heur and Breitling are also just testaments to the power of advertising. I wasn't even aware of their existence until probably the 90's. Breitling's advertising in particular annoys me with their posing next to WW2 fighters like the Spitfire. It's unlikely any WW2 Spitfire pilot climbed into the cockpit wearing a Breitling. It most likely would have been a very ordianary looking Omega.

For me, Omega has real world world usage cred, wheras Rolex are just a beautifully made poseur. The UK military sourced Omegas in WW2 and NASA did likewise in the 60's and therafter.

Rolex's cachet I think is down to heavy advertising on the back of National Gegraphic and probably other magazines in the US in the mid 20th century

That was 70 years ago. Before pretty much every regular poster in this forum was born, even Wibbs :pac:

Some advertising if that is still giving Rolex the cachet it has today ;):p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That was 70 years ago. Before pretty much every regular poster in this forum was born, even Wibbs :pac:

Back in the 70's I remember perusing back issues of NG from previous decades in my school library, hence the awareness beyond my years. Ask Canon and Nikon if they think saturation advertising yields multi-decade dividends. To this day, the majority of Irish people think these two brands alone are the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm over 70.

Here's a Hamilton advert from the April 1941 National Geographic.

530305.jpg

I have a number of NGs that contain articles about cycle tours. Not many of them have watch adverts. A couple from the naughties have Patek on the back cover but that's about it.

Interestingly, I think Tag Heur and Breitling are also just testaments to the power of advertising. I wasn't even aware of their existence until probably the 90's. Breitling's advertising in particular annoys me with their posing next to WW2 fighters like the Spitfire. It's unlikely any WW2 Spitfire pilot climbed into the cockpit wearing a Breitling. It most likely would have been a very ordianary looking Omega.

Going to have to pull you up there. Breitling specifically provided the on board chronometer for spitfires and other aircraft to the RAF throughout the 30s and 40s. I think the Navitimer came out in the early 50s and was a ground breaking "tool" watch at the time. You have to bare in mind that they were very much tool watches back then more than luxury pieces. They certainly weren't the first pilots watches but their aviation heritage is very much legitimate. Obviously now its all just marketing BS, the same as any luxury watch brand. To be fair to Breitling actually, they do still try to make modern relevant tool watches. That emergency one they have is a great piece of kit to have even now. I think someone on here actually has one.

530301.jpg

:D
    Actually Cnoc has a point U. Pre circa 1960 Rolex was almost entirely a brand and had cache in Britain and her commonwealth and didn't sell much beyond it. Certainly in America they were pretty much unknown. If you look at US watch and jewellery periodicals from before that date Rolex are nowhere to be seen. They hadn't much penetration into Europe either. The James Bond connection helped them certainly, but more latterly rather than in period. If they had seen it as a driver of sales they would have kept promoting their brand in franchise in the 70's and 80's but largely left it to others. That said such promotion wasn't really part of most companies radar back then. I mean Aston Martin had to be pleaded with to supply the DB's. The Rolex print ads in US magazines like NG, Time et al made a big impression on that part of the world and beyond and they started to gain traction in the late 60's early 70's.

This trend is also evident in the chronometer trials of the 20th century. Although Hans Wilsdorf was the first to send a wristwatch for testing for all the "Superlative Chronometer" ad copy(it's a trademark of theirs not an accreditation) their participation in the trials themselves was minimal and when they did participate lacklustre and largely gave up after the 40's, with some participation in the 60's.

530308.jpg

It was nearly always a shoot out between Omega, Longines and Zenith, with Longines winning the most overall. Movado would be "who??" for most today and they blew Rolex out of the water on wins. I suspect Rolex didn't bother for two reasons: 1) their movements were actually middle of the road and like that well into the 90's, workmanlike, but hardly elegant, or innovative(pre the 21st century one could easily argue their most innovative movement was the Oysterquartz). 2) their market - and Rolex have always known their market -wasn't interested enough back then.
    IWC are another who pad their WW2 history(among other things). Actually unless it was one of the issued Air Ministry pieces which included Omega among others(Zenith, Longines etc), chances are far more likely that if they wore a watch it was a 30's Tank style "dress" watch bought privately. Pre war in the "golden age" of aviation it was brands like Longines, Zenith, Helvetia and others, from the Swiss brands anyway. On the German side of WW2 the fighter pilots were more likely to wear "pilot's watches", for a few reasons. Pilots watches had more market penetration in mainland Europe. In something like the Battle of Britain it was for timing how much go juice they had left in the tanks as they were lacking in range, so privately bought or unit bought chronographs were in play. British pilots on the other hand didn't need a watch. They were scrambled en masse and vectored onto target, so little need for one for timing or navigation. Never mind that if you climb into a Spitfire or Me 109 right there in front of you is a dirty great clock. :D
    For me, Omega has real world world usage cred, wheras Rolex are just a beautifully made poseur. The UK military sourced Omegas in WW2 and NASA did likewise in the 60's and therafter.
    Well... in WW2, Omega were just one of many Swiss brands of issued timepieces in play, on both sides. To Rolex' credit they didn't supply the Axis side. Maybe one could argue the Panerai movements, but it's tenuous. As far as later UK MOD dive watches both Omega and Rolex had their issues and had to be tweaked accordingly. Rolex got an improved bezel and an Omega seamaster handset, Omega had to incorporate better sealing and a screwdown crown as the stock test models came back from dives looking like spirit levels. Interestingly when the US navy tried Rolex dive watches a decade earlier their big complaint was they were overpriced, the bracelet was crap and they leaked more than the others on test.

In the end of the day a huge proportion of this stuff is competing ad copy from the brands egged on by the interwebs and naturally enough the various brand camps and fans. The reality can be quite different. I mean for many on forums and the like who are Rolex fans they believe they innovated nearly everything in 20th century horology, but that's not the case by a long margin.

Going to have to pull you up there. Breitling specifically provided the on board chronometer for spitfires and other aircraft to the RAF throughout the 30s and 40s.
    Actually Smiths supplied significantly more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement