Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if there's such a thing as too much piercings

I'm also procrastinating terribly and not sorting my bags :o

Links I showed that to my friend in college and she screamed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Congrats/commiserations whoopsadaisydoodles on becoming a tLL mod! :D

Almostnever, congrats on getting a first in mooting! :)

Grindelwald, hope your daughter is ok. Diabetes is a bitch. My Dad has it since he was 21 as does his 2 brothers and a good few relations on my Mams side have it too.

EmilyO and everyone else stressing about exams - you’ll be fine. Just study what you can. Don’t put yourself under pressure because chances are that will prevent you from actually studying. You know tonnes already whether you realise it or not. :)

Um, I have an interview on Saturday. :D I have never been for an interview for a job before, just college interviews. Excited and absolutely terrified in equal measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Lola92 wrote: »
    Links I showed that to my friend in college and she screamed! :D
    Oh WIN! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    They brought her to get fixed and she was already pregnant so technically the cat got an abortion......dunno how to feel about that tbh!!
    That happened the very last day of my placement at a vet's. What a note to leave on!
    Semele wrote: »
    "So Irish people are whiter in skin colour than English people then? I never knew that before"

:o No, that's just me!
    Hahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Mollikins wrote: »

Grindelwald, hope your daughter is ok. Diabetes is a bitch. My Dad has it since he was 21 as does his 2 brothers and a good few relations on my Mams side have it too.

Got my fingers and toes crossed my boys dont get it, my lady got it at age 7 and my next is 7 in july.... My daughter is the only type 1 diabetic in both our families but thyroid disease runs rampant through both families.

If it aint one things its another...

but diabetes is a bitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Oh well done whoopsadaisydoodles! You seem nice, we'll keep you.

Looking well in the bold, whoopsadaisy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Coming up to the last chapter of Fifty Shades and I'm already fantasing about who will play Grey in the movie adaptation. Micheal Fassbender, please. Mmmmmmm.
    Staying in my pyjamas today as it's raining cats and dogs down here so I'm having a lazy day. I get paid tomorrow so I'm going to put an order on the next two novels in the series, weather permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

The Hunger Games is showing at such awkward times. :mad: It's only on at 6pm tonight in Portlaoise, it's not showing any other day according to the listings on their website. I can't go tonight because the musical I'm going to is at 7.30pm.

Might be going to see my bf this weekend again so I was thinking about going to see it in Athlone on Saturday before I get the bus out to his place. It's 150 minutes long, starts at 2.15pm and the last bus goes at 4.30pm so I'd miss the end of it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yes, only ipads! No e-readers or androids or kindle. they say ipads are more interactive unlike the e readers and kindle. They also say teachers are more familure with the IOS on an ipad and that it is simple to use. They aim for the kids to do more research based study using the Internet. The ebooks we buy for the ipad will have a 3 year licence and if any are updated in that time the update is free.

Oh no, that's awful! While they may be correct about e-readers and kindle, android tablets are just as interactive as an ipad. Teachers should get familiar with multiple OSes rather than just one. It's just swapping Microsoft lock-in for Apple lock-in otherwise.

I'm horrified (but not shocked) by the 3 year license on the ebooks. So you're not buying the books for €400 (on top of the ipad cost), you're just renting them. And if your second child needs to use the same book presumably you have to rent a second copy for their ipad. In years to come, that physics or geography book won't be handy to have a look at 'cos the license has expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yes, only ipads! No e-readers or androids or kindle. they say ipads are more interactive unlike the e readers and kindle. They also say teachers are more familure with the IOS on an ipad and that it is simple to use. They aim for the kids to do more research based study using the Internet. The ebooks we buy for the ipad will have a 3 year licence and if any are updated in that time the update is free.

I dropped in my reply slip to say i was okay with my child using an ipad and that i didnt need them to buy it for me and me to pay them. I said we already owned one.

I asked how the other slips were coming back and they said everyone but mine said yes to the ipad and yes to them buying it and the parents buying off the school, they want the €420 before the end of may. I dont know where they are getting €420 from they are €399 on the apple store for ipad 2s and thats what they will be buying, i know i asked the question.

We intend to give our daughter our ipad and further down the line buy an ipad 3 or by the time we get to that im sure there will be an ipad 4. That will save us 420 euro but not everyone is in the position we are in so they came up with a solution, the local credit union has agreed to give all the parents that need a loan for the ipad and ebooks a loan, with generous terms and conditions and little interest..... havent inquired about that...

where the hell are they pulling €850 from? the most expensive ipad 3 is 799 direct from apple and thats the 3g 64gb one.

The 850.00 is for iPad, ebooks, insurance and iPad cover. But I've got a feeling it's going to rise.

And as cdaly said we only get them for 3 years. Thankfully my next in line will not be starting secondary until my lady finishs. However some have kids starting this year and next. It does make things rather costly.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Oh no, that's awful! While they may be correct about e-readers and kindle, android tablets are just as interactive as an ipad. Teachers should get familiar with multiple OSes rather than just one. It's just swapping Microsoft lock-in for Apple lock-in otherwise.

I'm horrified (but not shocked) by the 3 year license on the ebooks. So you're not buying the books for €400 (on top of the ipad cost), you're just renting them. And if your second child needs to use the same book presumably you have to rent a second copy for their ipad. In years to come, that physics or geography book won't be handy to have a look at 'cos the license has expired.

the second child can't use the same book atm as far as i know because they update the "versions" to different pages to make sure there's no more hand me downs
    it's a stupid scam

cdaly_ wrote: »

I think if you have the books in your iTunes you can download them to any apple device you own be that 2 iPads and an iPod touch. However they only last for 3 years so if child 2 had child 1s ebooks they would only last till second year, If no updates were needed then they could use them for 3rd year if they don't sync the iPad. Not sure if that's the way it would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've lost €50, I could genuinely cry. That would have paid for the pretty shoes I found for the wedding, it would've paid for all sorts of things, or would've meant I could save something for the first time in months. Humph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Acoshla wrote: »
    I've lost €50, I could genuinely cry. That would have paid for the pretty shoes I found for the wedding, it would've paid for all sorts of things, or would've meant I could save something for the first time in months. Humph.
    Hate it when that happens. :(

Awful, awful weather today. Horrid grey, miserable look sky and all the rain :(

We've no oil either, so no heating and the house is freezing.

Grandmother is in another bad mood after finding out about the oil :rolleyes:

My mother and granny still aren't talking, sick of it now tbh. :(

I've gotten as far as bringing my backpack in from the other room, and leaving it out on the bed. Why am I being so distracted all of a sudden? This bag will get packed TONIGHT! mostly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Orla K wrote: »
    I'd left the immerision on:( the worst thing is I have no idea how long it was on for, don't think I went near it yesterday so it could have been on for days. Not looking forward to the next bill.

I always forget to turn it off after I have a shave :o,actually I think I left it......................
    I gotta say, I am really, really adoring Deus Ex: Human Revolution. what a game! :D

kinda wonder how far off such augmentation technology actually is?

really wanted to like that game but just could not get into it *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've gotten as far as bringing my backpack in from the other room, and leaving it out on the bed. Why am I being so distracted all of a sudden? This bag will get packed TONIGHT! mostly.

Haha, I hate packing. Last time I was heading away I was heading straight to the airport after work, my packing got done in the space of 5 minutes when I was already running late for work...

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

You've probably just caught the lack of motivation that some of us student types are suffering from as well! And if you have, my apologies! It seems to be contagious!

Speaking of lack of motivation, I've managed to prepare one answer today, which was my plan. I have another two answers to prepare, one tomorrow, one friday & then the rest of the weekend will be revising for next weeks two exams.

• Advertisement

right now my dilema is what to wear and what to bring? what'll I want when I'm there. I think my all saints hoodie is gonna come with. but also, I don't wanna bring too much, 'cos I plan on getting loads of stuff there anyway.

maybe new shoes :)

maybe even purple docs. 'cos god knows 7 pairs of docs just aren't enough :p

When myself and my bf went to London in Feb we had to bring a case each (we thought one would be enough, so booked it in in the boyfriends name, I got stung for €60 by Ryanair, my own fault).

The funny thing is, everything we brought with us, we used, himself thought I wouldn't use/wear half of what I brought :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

right now my dilema is what to wear and what to bring? what'll I want when I'm there. I think my all saints hoodie is gonna come with. but also, I don't wanna bring too much, 'cos I plan on getting loads of stuff there anyway.

maybe new shoes :)

maybe even purple docs. 'cos god knows 7 pairs of docs just aren't enough :p

When I'm travelling abroad I always wear an outfit with as little metal in it as possible. I have terrible luck setting off the beepers in security, and have been frisked on many occasions :(

In summer 2006 when a bomb went off at Heathrow, we were flying from Charles de Gaulle to Heathrow. My family are all quite sallow, my Dad and I were especially tanned, my hair was black, and I was wearing a shirt-dress over jeans (and I looked much older than 14).
    We never set off the beepers, but my Dad and I were randomly stopped and searched, bodies and bags. He reckons they might have thought we were of Arab descent or something, and were suspicious of us :eek:

So yeah, try avoid metal for an easy life! Although I think piercings and bra underwires are generally okay.

EmilyO wrote: »
    Although I think piercings and bra underwires are generally okay.
    Watch these. If you can get away without one, wear a non-wired bra. Bane of my life in airports. I always set the thing off, you'd swear I was Wolverine or something.

I swear, I've gotten more action in airport security than I ever have in real life!

Will be wearing a non wired bra, and I've also got a letter from my psychologist just in case any security give me guff and say I'm carrying a "concealed weapon"

Kinda not looking forward to any awkwardness that might arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm finished my exams FOREVER! :D I may decide to do a postgrad in time, but for the next while I'm gonna enjoy my sweet, sweet free time!

I was sad to find out that Louis le Brocquy passed away today. He was genuinely one of my favourite painters, his portraits of famous figures were nothing short of amazing.

Electric heater on now, finally, some heat!

Have to turn it off soon though :(

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Watch these. If you can get away without one, wear a non-wired bra. Bane of my life in airports. I always set the thing off, you'd swear I was Wolverine or something.

I swear, I've gotten more action in airport security than I ever have in real life!

I've always worn underwired bras going through airports, always, and never had any problems? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Whaaat? I fly about 6 times a year and have never set an alarm off with an underwired bra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I've always worn underwired bras going through airports, always, and never had any problems? :confused:

Yeah underwired bras don't usually cause me hassle, thankfully! I'm a little on the large side for non-underwired :p

• Advertisement

EmilyO wrote: »
    Yeah underwired bras don't usually cause me hassle, thankfully! I'm a little on the large side for non-underwired :p

Same :p

It doesn't happen in all airports, that's the annoying thing. But my bra has set it off more than once. Security said it happens sometimes.

I'm kinda thinking that I could really do with a pair of Docs like these or these. what do you think?

I really like the second pair Links. :)

Ah the weather is just miserable.. :(

I should be getting ready to go tbh but I'm sitting here on Boards and playing The Hunger Games Adventures.. :o

Also these would be kinda nice :)

I really wanna get a nice pair of knee high docks for the winter but the only stockist I know of- China Blue in Temple Bar- is charging €160! :eek:
    I've been trawling online but I can't find anything cheaper as the shipping charges tend to negate any bargains. *pout*
    Links, can you help me out on the boot front?

It's ok to drink a beer at 5.30pm on a workday because I lost €50, right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

yup!

McChubbin wrote: »
    I really wanna get a nice pair of knee high docks for the winter but the only stockist I know of- China Blue in Temple Bar- is charging €160! :eek:
    I've been trawling online but I can't find anything cheaper as the shipping charges tend to negate any bargains. *pout*
    Links, can you help me out on the boot front?

Try Ebay, I've ordered 2 pairs of docs from the states, that turned out to be considerably cheaper than getting them here, including shipping costs and customs. But the way I look at it though is, a pair of docs are gonna last you though, so even if they are expensive enough, they're worth the investment. ;)

what kinda ones we talking about though, like these?

yes. :)

• Advertisement

Try Ebay, I've ordered 2 pairs of docs from the states, that turned out to be considerably cheaper than getting them here, including shipping costs and customs. But the way I look at it though is, a pair of docs are gonna last you though, so even if they are expensive enough, they're worth the investment. ;)

what kinda ones we talking about though, like these?

I'm looking for something more like these: http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-2409-1b60.aspx or these:http://youlookfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/doc-boots.jpg, preferably in classic black.

I'm not at ease with forking over €160+ for them but if I can get a pair for around €100-120, I'll be very happy.
    EDIT: Oh, and preferably in a size EUR 44. Damn my big, mannish feet!

McChubbin wrote: »
    I'm looking for something more like these: http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-2409-1b60.aspx or these:http://youlookfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/doc-boots.jpg, preferably in classic black.

I'm not at ease with forking over €160+ for them but if I can get a pair for around €100-120, I'll be very happy.
    EDIT: Oh, and preferably in a size EUR 44. Damn my big, mannish feet!

lol, those were the ones I linked ;)

here you are (depending on your size) £69.99 and £8.99 shipping to Ireland ain't bad at all. Good seller too.

edit: whoops, didn't see your shoe size! keep an eye on ebay, they can pop up all the time.

did you try on the pair in china blue?

lol, those were the ones I linked ;)

here you are (depending on your size) £69.99 and £8.99 shipping to Ireland ain't bad at all. Good seller too.

edit: whoops, didn't see your shoe size!
    Thanks, Links! Sadly they aren't available in a size UK 10. :( I swear to Chtultu, when they master foot transplant surgery, I'm signing up to get me a nice dainty pair of size 7 feet!

hey, big feet aren't bad ;)

I wear a UK 9 and you know, I kinda really like my feet :) they're big alright, but they're pretty.

*shrug* Well, I always had a problem finding decent pairs of shoes. Thank Chtultu for TK MaXX and the menswear department of Penneys (even if their sneakers do fall apart after 2 weeks... -___- ).
    I'm currently poitering around on Amazon.com and I've fallen for this bag: http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Battlefield-Messenger-Medic-Bag/dp/B000MIQCDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335369665&sr=8-1
    It's perfect for my survivor/medic outfit for the Dublin Zombie Walk in June. I hope it's not going to be rained out this year. That would suck. :/

I'm the opposite.. I have tiny little feet, I can get away with wearing a size 3 in some shoes. Sometimes I see nice shoes and wish I had bigger feet because a lot of the time the smallest is a 5.. :o

• Advertisement

I lucked out really, I used to wear a size 11, but between HRT and weight loss I went down to a size 9. :o

you know you can filter the results on ebay by size? just type in Dr Martens, click the filter to women's shoes, and then filter further by size. keep an eye on ebay every now and then, you should find things that pop up. that's kinda how I keep an eye out for stuff I like.

definitely try on the pair in china blue though, and if they have them in your size, they might go on sale at some point. I've gotten some very nice shoes on sale in there before.

Oh, and that's a really cool bag! I like :D

Jane, I knew a girl who had very small feet and bought a pair of children's docs. no joke. docs are pretty good with sizes though, and you can get them in size 3

Jane, I knew a girl who had very small feet and bought a pair of children's docs. no joke. docs are pretty good with sizes though, and you can get them in size 3

Yeah I've bought children's runners before lol. :o I'll have to keep an eye out for some. :) Both my pairs of Converse are size 4.. At least I have those. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Got my fingers and toes crossed my boys dont get it, my lady got it at age 7 and my next is 7 in july.... My daughter is the only type 1 diabetic in both our families but thyroid disease runs rampant through both families.

If it aint one things its another...

but diabetes is a bitch...

So many people have it on both sides of my family, having developed it in their late teens/early twenties that whenever I find myself getting really thirsty alarm bells start ringing. Injections everyday wouldn’t faze me at all because it’s what I have been brought up with but the complications that come with it, having seen what my Dad was had to deal with, scare the bejaysus out of me! Every so often I test myself with my Dads kit and I’m grand for now but the fact my 23 year old cousin got sick out of the blue and was diagnosed with it a couple of months ago makes me cautious about it. Hope your boys don’t ever have to deal with it and that your girl got on ok today. :)

Jane, I used to be a size 5 but my feet shrank over the past couple of years and now I’m a 4. :o I always see loads of 3’s and 4’s left on the shelves and no 5’s and 6’s. New Look always seems to have loads of size 3’s but alas my feet haven’t shrunk that much just yet. I prefer having small feet because it means my Mam and my sister can no longer borrow my shoes! :p

Organising stuff for the interview Saturday. I don’t want to be panicking getting stuff together the night before! I’ve no idea what I should wear though because it isn’t a formal interview as such, it’s more of a chat. I don’t want to look too casual but I don’t want to be overdressed either. Someone dress me please! :D

Know what you mean I test my sons blood sugars every time they drink too much or act funny.

All this talk of bag packing is so funny, I'm not off to Italy for another 2 weeks however my bag and my sons bags been packed for 3 days, packed my husbands yesterday and my daughters has been packed for a week, I haven't packed her meds yet but I have the letters and prescription to take with us and got extra medication from the chemist. I'm like a traveling pharmacy between diabetes, high bp, asthma and a whole ray of suncreams from factor 20 - factor 50, anti mozi stuff and special cream for my lips because as soon as my lips see the sun I get sold sores...

Printed out our boarding passes today and realized I spelt my sons surname wrong, I'm missing a letter at the end.. Gona risk it any way, hope they don't notice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Should have been practising my typing and reading over my MS Excel notes today, but decided to curl up under a blanket and watch back to back Knight Rider episodes instead.
    I am SO productive and self motivated.. not! :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement