Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A breath of fresh air, someone needs to shove a contract under his nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Im listening to Dunphy at the moment. He has Constantine Gurdiev on as a contributor, god that man talks some sense, just the type of person we need pulling the purse strings of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

just give him dunphys slot on a sunday. far more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Anyone know the schedule for Newstalk on count day next week?

Is Today FM doing anything with Matt Cooper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

neris wrote: »
    who?

"demented mother, broadcaster & occasional tippler" according to her Twitter profile. Never heard of her either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭GSF

Anyone know the schedule for Newstalk on count day next week?

NT are going to suffer because of no Hook due to rugby commitments on RTE tv

10am-1pm Yates & Donohue
    1-6pm Kieberd & Healy
    6-10pm Yates & Donohue
    10pm onwards Ger Gilroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Im listening to Dunphy at the moment. He has Constantine Gurdiev on as a contributor, god that man talks some sense, just the type of person we need pulling the purse strings of this country.

I wonder is he another of those 'Alan Ahearne' types who knew how to fix everything 'till he got the job of fixing it?

One wonders.

GSF wrote: »
    NT are going to suffer because of no Hook due to rugby commitments on RTE tv

10am-1pm Yates & Donohue
    1-6pm Kieberd & Healy
    6-10pm Yates & Donohue
    10pm onwards Ger Gilroy

"Suffer" - I suppose it depends if you like Hook or not. I remember last time him constantly talking all the time, being confused with the constituencies and just generally being amateur.

I wonder is he another of those 'Alan Ahearne' types who knew how to fix everything 'till he got the job of fixing it?

One wonders.

Maybe so but a lot of his ideas make a lot of sense to me. I enjoy listening to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

I am delighted to see Yates & Donohue are on for so long on count day. Chris will be great for the facts, accurate and business like, Ivan will be perfect in that he has the inside track on the political side of things.

Looking forward to checking Ivan's election predictions against the real thing.

What time is RTE radio's coverage starting at? Will Marian get a day off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

One wonders.
    A bit like yourself, this poster is moved to observe.

Last night I heard a replay of the Andrew (Andy) Cole interview with Eoin McDevitt and Ken Early. Now I knew that Cole had a bit of a reputation as a bit of a surly character but straight from the off they got him to open up. They started by quoting the fact that Cole is third in all-time Premier League assists (Giggs & Bergkamp lead). Cole had not known this and you could hear his genuine surprise and delight at the stat. It goes to show how good research leads to a good interview.

Anyway they really seemed to engage with him and got him talking openly and honestly about everything. They questioned him in a direct but respectful way about potentially touchy subjects such as his spats with Keegan, Sheringham, his relative failure at England level, his failure to gel with Cantona. It was an master class in sport interviewing, they covered a huge range of subjects, from his belief that agents are unnecessary, being subbed in the Champions League Final, the change and responsibility that came with joining United, racism in football, his experience as a song of a Caribbean immigrant, how his game developed over the years, friendship with Roy Keane etc.

For an interview with a not particularly effusive retired footballer it was compelling. Also I should credit Cole himself as he was very honest and answering everything he was asked, however I cant help but think that much of this was down to the fact that he knew he was being interviewed by real sports journalists with a knowledge and appreciation of the game and a genuine interest in the player and his career.

Its a real pity that the OTB team are so bad outside the "big interview" context.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its a real pity that the OTB team are so bad outside the "big interview" context.

I assume you are referring to the 'banter' that they engage in. It can be annoying at times and hilarious at times. It is almost certainly necessary though, given that fact that they have to fill 3 hours of air-time each evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

mike65 wrote: »

Disagree with that. What is "bad" about how their roster of regular interviewees (not big name once off guests) - people like Oliver Wilson, Sid Lowe, Graham Hunter, the BBC Brazillian correspondent, Wood and Thornley, Kimmage etc are used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Anyone hear Chris yesterday morning?

"And Joe Boner completes that constituency."

*Awkward silence*

"Eh, I think it's Bonner, Chris."

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Anyone hear Chris yesterday morning?

"And Joe Boner completes that constituency."

*Awkward silence*

"Eh, I think it's Bonner, Chris."

:pac:

I don't know. Maybe he was right in the first place. Reminds me of this clip.biggrin.gif

Fast forward to 1 minute 35.

Is the music that ends the breakfast show from Police Squad (in Color)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yep.

always think of lesley neilson when it comes on and the "frozen" endings with everyone trying not to blink.

good ol frank dreben

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

I hear that tomorrow is the last show for the annoying yank at 6:30 in the morn. better late then never

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

neris wrote: »
    I hear that tomorrow is the last show for the annoying yank at 6:30 in the morn. better late then never

How come ? I have a feeling that if things don't improve for the Breakfast Show by Feb next year Chris will be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

As long as she isn't replaced by another dragon.

Badabing wrote: »
    How come ? I have a feeling that if things don't improve for the Breakfast Show by Feb next year Chris will be gone.

I think they should stick with Chris - he's the only presenter that Newstalk has produced themselves that hasn't been poached.

I think it gives the station a sense of continuity. I actually think he's really good, he just gets a little excited.

But they could do with a few women presenters! No woman presenters at all on Newstalk? (Apart from the newsreaders).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Her last day.
    Just when we were getting used to her.

I don't where she's going but I genuinely wish her the best of luck.

Lapin wrote: »
    Her last day.
    Just when we were getting used to her.

I don't where she's going but I genuinely wish her the best of luck.

ah now i wouldnt go that far.

but yeah she's gone.

i feel really bad about my attitute towards her as its purely her accent thats put me off listening to her.

ive NEVER felt that way about a broadcaster before.

but i'd be lying if i didnt say thank god. hopefully theyve got someone decent lined up to replace her. consdering the lads that got let go from the tribune are running around looking for jobs now i wouldnt be surprised to see their business head popping up.

newstalks business sections and shows are severly suffering with their incumbants, with a bit of luck this is the first step to rectifying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

i feel really bad about my attitute towards her as its purely her accent thats put me off listening to her.

Well, it's a better reason for disliking her than mine - the insistence on the E in 'Margaret E Ward'

I think they should stick with Chris - he's the only presenter that Newstalk has produced themselves that hasn't been poached.

I think it gives the station a sense of continuity. I actually think he's really good, he just gets a little excited.

But they could do with a few women presenters! No woman presenters at all on Newstalk? (Apart from the newsreaders).

orla barry , sile seoige and some girl from nigeria i think all have shows on newstalk.

but you'd be forgiven for not knowing as theyre either graveyard shifts or saturday fluff.

sad fact is people just dont like listening to the average woman on radio, hence the proliferation of husky/ low tone types on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

SkidMark wrote: »
    Well, it's a better reason for disliking her than mine - the insistence on the E in 'Margaret E Ward'

In fairness to her, she has to do that to distinguish herself from the RTE Margaret Ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Hate to be a killjoy but certainly in Donegal the name would be pronounced as Boner. Even our esteemed ex international keeper Packie Bonnar is known in his native county as Packie Boner. That Newstalk didnt know this doesn't surprise me in the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Badabing wrote: »
    I have a feeling that if things don't improve for the Breakfast Show by Feb next year Chris will be gone.
    You say it like that would be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

I wouldn't say I'm sad that Margaret Ward is going but I thought she was pretty good, she had a bit of personality and was growing into the role. The accent didn't bug me but it's horses for courses.

I like my presenters to be a bit different, to deviate every now and again and to have sense of humour. She did for me, certainly better than your wan on the Morning Ireland business news, very straightlaced with an accent that is from no real place on earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Aidric wrote: »
    You say it like that would be a bad thing.

Yeah i suppose! He is very lightweight i think and the way Newstalk are going i think they will splash the cash on another big name. The show might get a bounce tho in the next JNLR after the election and current affairs being big recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I wouldn't say I'm sad that Margaret Ward is going but I thought she was pretty good, she had a bit of personality and was growing into the role. The accent didn't bug me but it's horses for courses.

I like my presenters to be a bit different, to deviate every now and again and to have sense of humour. She did for me, certainly better than your wan on the Morning Ireland business news, very straightlaced with an accent that is from no real place on earth.
    I liked Margaret Ward. She has a brain on her. Her accent can be a bit grating though. However, nothing near as irritating as the unbearable Amma MocNomora who I always immediately switch away from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I'm starting to tire of Ivan Yates' chauvinistic attitude. And the slagging routine which he imposes on Chris is quite simply tiresome. I'm convinced Claire Byrne left on account of it.

Either Yates ups his professional standards, or give him the boot. Which is a shame, because politically he's very tuned in and informative.

I like Chris but for god sake, what's with all the T's.
    It's Saturday not SaT-Turday. That boy likes his T's.

Really bad day for Newstalk to have its website crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Chris Donoghue is embarrassing to be honest.

I like Newstalk despite that it is blatantly FineGaelFM t/a Newstalk, what with Yates and Hook etc but this Donoghue guy has no sense of decorum.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Zamboni wrote: »
    Chris Donoghue is embarrassing to be honest.

I like Newstalk despite that it is blatantly FineGaelFM t/a Newstalk, what with Yates and Hook etc but this Donoghue guy has no sense of decorum.

Have to agree. I'm sure he's a nice guy but when he tries to banter with Yates it's just plain embarrassing. He's very much a light weight - should get someone in there that's a match for Ivan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rubik. wrote: »
    Really bad day for Newstalk to have its website crash.

Was it down for long..?

Dub13 wrote: »
    Was it down for long..?

No, it was back up not long after I posted.

sile seoige !

sweet jesus Noooooooooooo !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Tom McGuirk really having a go at Fergus Finlay and Labour.. Nice to see somebody putting some real questions to him instead of the usual puffballs that are normally thrown at him cos he works for Barnardo's

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Chris comes across as a nice lad-fair play to him for beating cancer & everything but I think he is a bit lightweight presenting the show-maybe put him as a roving reporter.i think that's what he used to do anyway.
    The Yates ''banter'' is getting annoying.If the guy is single/gay whatever that's his business.It shouldn't be brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

i disagree. he's young and its good to see promsing young talent being promoted and he clearly researches the stories. Occasionally he makes mistakes and shows his inexperience but given time those edges will be knocked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

xyz123 wrote: »
    i disagree. he's young and its good to see promsing young talent being promoted and he clearly researches the stories. Occasionally he makes mistakes and shows his inexperience but given time those edges will be knocked off.

On the subject of bringing on young promising talent.They are interviewing Jimmy Magee now who seems to have a job for life in RTE. Why doesn't he just retire and give someone else a go? I always thought he was a pain in the arse anyway.

I think Jimmy Magee is a living legend.

Although he did get a bit annoyed this morning when Ivan pressed him on the drug scandals in the Tour de France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I think Jimmy Magee is a living legend.

Although he did get a bit annoyed this morning when Ivan pressed him on the drug scandals in the Tour de France.

Yep his head in the sand stuff about drugs in sport was embarassing. Then again he was one of the main cheerleaders of Michelle Smith and still in denial about it.
    Jimmy encapsulates quite a lot of what is wrong with Ireland.If he's a legend in your eyes then you set that bar fairly low. Maybe you could explain what qualifies Jimmy for this legendary status?

If he's a legend in your eyes then you set that bar fairly low. Maybe you could explain what qualifies Jimmy for this legendary status?

If anyone for the BBC commentated at 11 Olympic Games, 12 World Cup Finals, countless soccer internationals, and a whole host of other sporting events at home and abroad he would have received a host of honours and a knighthood in the UK.

He would also be held in high regard in much the same way as the late Rugby commentator Bill McLaren was in Britain.

Unfortunately, here in Ireland we're only too quick to knock those who are successful.

Apart from that, Jimmy Magee's voice will forever be associated with some of Ireland's great sporting moments in the past 30 years. Barry McGuigan, Stephen Roache, Italia 90, and his commentary as John Tracy approached the finishing line in LA in 1984 is legendary in itself.

And his "Different class" description of Maradonna's goal against England in the 86 World Cup summed it up better than anyone else.

Obviously such things can only be a matter of opinion, but I don't think I've set the bar very low at all. In fact I would ask - If Jimmy Magee doesn't have what it takes to be described as a legend, then who in the world of Irish sports broadcasting does ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

If anyone for the BBC commentated at 11 Olympic Games, 12 World Cup Finals, countless soccer internationals, and a whole host of other sporting events at home and abroad he would have received a host of honours and a knighthood in the UK.

He would also be held in high regard in much the same way as the late Rugby commentator Bill McLaren was in Britain.

Unfortunately, here in Ireland we're only too quick to knock those who are successful.

Apart from that, Jimmy Magee's voice will forever be associated with some of Ireland's great sporting moments in the past 30 years. Barry McGuigan, Stephen Roache, Italia 90, and his commentary as John Tracy approached the finishing line in LA in 1984 is legendary in itself.

And his "Different class" description of Maradonna's goal against England in the 86 World Cup summed it up better than anyone else.

Obviously such things can only be a matter of opinion, but I don't think I've set the bar very low at all. In fact I would ask - If Jimmy Magee doesn't have what it takes to be described as a legend, then who in the world of Irish sports broadcasting does ?
    Have to add the mc colloughs fights in the olympics to that!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement