Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Happy with that.

We need a safety, a DT and a lineman too before the draft.

We need those things and we've a lot of holes. But I'm also concerned we are going the FA route too.

Hopefully that is only short term until we start drafting our own talent like successful team (Packers/Ravens).

We can't keep buying Houston's, Mcphees while players like McClellin, Sutton end up in the bin.

I really hope Pace & Fox get it right this time.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Sorry to see him go, but seems like at least part of it, he brought on himself.

Exactly me feelings. Great player, enjoyed his time here but he seemed too interested in the media and it looks like Fox & Pace plan to run a closed shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Offseason = cash strapped Ravens losing young defensive talent *sigh*

Arthur Jones to the Colts :(:( Paul Kruger to the Browns :( Danelle Ellerbe to the Dolphins, eh not missed :P

McPhee was a 5th round pick who spent two years in junior college and no casual NFL fan ever heard of him on draft day

He became McPhenom on the message boards with 6 sacks his rookie year. Chuck Pagano was a super aggressive defensive coordinator and used the rookie realy well.

2012 & 2013 McPhee got crowded out on the depth chart and moved to linebacker on the depth chart but he's a lineman for sure. Our defense won a Super Bowl but it wasn't so aggressive and the sack rate plummeted.

Arthur Jones was snapped up by Pagano's Colts and super versatile McPhee moved up and down the line in 2014. While he didn't play as many snaps as others he made an impact for sure.

He will be missed but it was known long ago he would not be back. The Ravens GM admitted so in the press conference last week.
    “I think you have to look at it this way: If we were to go after the market on Pernell, how many other players would we not have on the Baltimore Ravens?"
    It's no surprise, Ravens fans expect this to happen *casts envious glance at the Jets 50 million cap space!*

Good signing, strong at both pass & rush defense and your DC would love his versatility

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Offseason = cash strapped Ravens losing young defensive talent *sigh*

Arthur Jones to the Colts :(:( Paul Kruger to the Browns :( Danelle Ellerbe to the Dolphins, eh not missed :P

McPhee was a 5th round pick who spent two years in junior college and no casual NFL fan ever heard of him on draft day

He became McPhenom on the message boards with 6 sacks his rookie year. Chuck Pagano was a super aggressive defensive coordinator and used the rookie realy well.

2012 & 2013 McPhee got crowded out on the depth chart and moved to linebacker on the depth chart but he's a lineman for sure. Our defense won a Super Bowl but it wasn't so aggressive and the sack rate plummeted.

Arthur Jones was snapped up by Pagano's Colts and super versatile McPhee moved up and down the line in 2014. While he didn't play as many snaps as others he made an impact for sure.

He will be missed but it was known long ago he would not be back. The Ravens GM admitted so in the press conference last week.

It's no surprise, Ravens fans expect this to happen *casts envious glance at the Jets 50 million cap space!*

Good signing, strong at both pass & rush defense and your DC would love his versatility

The only time a ravens fan should look enviously at the jets.

Dan Bernstein insisting that they're actively seeking a trade partner for Cutler, and that the response has been underwhelming. There's no second source for this. It's just him. I would imagine they'd take a very modest trade offer if they are actively going out looking for someone to take him. If they go down this route at all with him, they would be better off following through and taking what they can get, he's temperamental enough with coaches and staff as it is.

Don't like the look of what's around in FA or the draft to replace him though. Could end up watching Santa Clausen all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

How high a pick would you give to get kap in? I wouldn't be a fan of the move but with the talk out there, what trade would people be happy with?

gufc21 wrote: »
    How high a pick would you give to get kap in? I wouldn't be a fan of the move but with the talk out there, what trade would people be happy with?

The fifth. We aren't going to get him for that of course but I think our needs are too great to be going chasing quarterbacks. Pace said his aim is to build through the draft and I hope he keeps his word, expensive free agents and big trades are not good for a long term rebuild.

They've confirmed Cutler will be a bear this year anyway.

Generally we've been quiet in fa, which I consider a good thing, but I'm not sure I like a team that's rebuilding picking up a 32 year old safety. I know we're short at the position and the draft is weak there, but it flies in the face of Paces stated intefiltering imitating the packers model of drafting and then securing your guys in free agency, then waiting till late in free agency to pick up bargains rather than overspending. This pick up seems too similar to what emery was doing. I actually didn't mind that when we were in win now mode, but that's no longer the case. If it's a short term stop gap until next year or whatever, fine. I'm happy if we're quiet here and draft well later.

Also we apparently signed Eddie Royal. Don't know much about him, tbh. Slot receiver, 28. I also dunno what kind of money he costs or anything like that. All in all, we needed to pick up a #3 receiver, so grand.

Royal will be an excellent signing imho.

Rolle is a holdover, we just have nothing at safety so have little choice but to get a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Was afraid we'd blow big dollars on a Worilds, Maclin or Iupati so happy enough so far. With whats left in FA and releases to come we'll hopefully have a couple more value pick-ups to add before the draft.

I think we need two receivers... one deep threat and one useful in the slot. Royal would be a decent start.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Was afraid we'd blow big dollars on a Worilds, Maclin or Iupati so happy enough so far. With whats left in FA and releases to come we'll hopefully have a couple more value pick-ups to add before the draft.

I think we need two receivers... one deep threat and one useful in the slot. Royal would be a decent start.
    Yeah reading a bit more about Royal he seems a good pick up. I said we needed a #3 receiver but for that to happen we would need to have a #2, kind of forgot about Marshall being gone. Wilson hasn't shown anything like the ability I had hoped he would, but he might still come through.

I agree about Rolle, too, Kenny, I understand that avoiding older FAs is difficult when the GM hasn't even had a single draft. Long as we avoid any overspending I'll be OK with it, and particular that we avoid giving up draft picks for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Royal is the type of receiver we have needed since Knox retired. I still remember watching that Broncos/Raiders game where he lit it up in his first game. I think it was the second game on MNF and I stayed up until 6am watching it :pac:.

Still pissed about Marshall leaving, but it would be nice to get Royal.

3 years for Royal with 15 mill (10 guaranteed). It's too much- Gase must be a fan.

So Jenkins, McDonald & Foster added yesterday.

Liking the prove it deals. Also liking the patience by Pace & Fox.

Don't care about McDonald's history - charged with nothing and league is full of crooks anyway so we're far from the only team with a dodgy character. He'll be mad to prove himself and has worked under Fangio.

Interested to see what the draft brings and what sort of a roster we end up with overall. Defence will improve and we'll be running the ball more for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Todd McShay has the Bears taking Kevin White in his latest mock draft:

Kevin White
    Chicago Bears (5-11)
    COLLEGE: West Virginia
    Class: Sr
    HT: 6-2
    WT: 215
    POS: WR

Analysis: White makes sense here as the best player available, but also from a need standpoint because he's an upgrade over Marquess Wilson opposite Alshon Jeffery. White is No. 4 on our board, ranking behind Cooper only because he isn't quite as polished or consistent. The fact that he only had one really good season at West Virginia will concern some. But he's a big-play threat with his size and speed, and he possesses the ability to separate when the ball is in the air and come down with high-degree-of-difficulty contested catches. He's also very competitive with the ball in his hands.

McShay has a lot of WRs going in the first round:

3. Amari Cooper (Jags)
    7. Kevin White (Bears)
    10. DeVante Parker (Rams)
    14. Breshad Perriman (Dolphins)
    16. Dorial Green-Beckham (Texans)
    26. Jaelen Strong (Ravens)

They covered the receiver class in the latest Doug Farrar podcast and were pretty high on White:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/dougfarrarnfl/2015/03/27/the-nfl-draft-podcast-with-greg-cosell-the-receivers-1 (skip to 11:00)

^ I'd see Perriman, despite the blistering speed, as a huge reach for the Dolphins at 14. No way he'll go that high imho.

Anyway in terms of the Bears the ideal situation is that Mariota would fall to us, so we could trade back slightly and get a decent haul out of it.

The pass rushers seem a very boom or bust lot - no guarantees there at all. My favourite is probably Fowler, then Beasley, then Dupree. I don't want Ray (speed rush only) or Gregory (light and off field issues).

The receivers seem the best bunch but given the depth that may lead to taking one in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Cooper is an extremely safe pick but I think White will be the better player so would be happy with that. I think Jaelen Strong will end up being the best of the bunch in time, so would be happy with him at top of 2nd if they go pass rusher in first.

CB is limited top prospect wise but has good depth. Same with safety. If we took a safety (Collins) at 7 I'd scream.

The tackles again there is no stand out long term prospect.

The QB class flat out sucks too so overall it's a pretty poor draft for top end talent but a good draft depth wise, so I'd hope we'd get 3 starters from our first 3 picks.

• Advertisement

Garza deserves a lot of credit for his service but it’s the smart move. He was being obliterated last year.

If Slauson stays fit our interior is very decent. RT is a massive need thought and, surprisingly, one not being discussed in many places.

Long to RT I'd guess unless the right value prospect drops in our lap on draft day in 2nd or 3rd round. Otherwise I'd see us drafting a mauler of a guard in later rounds and Long to RT.

Garza was a legend, as said deserves a lot if credit for the years he gave. Never the greatest player but a leader and example.

This move a couple of years overdue.

Mad to think emery re-signed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭crunchie44

Anyone think theres truth behind the bears possibly moving up in draft to get mariota? Titans reportedly open to trading pick. Talk of cutler trade plus extra to sweeten the deal? Any thoughts on mariota? I know they say he is not thr typical pro ready QB but if Bears are looking to run the ball more maybe a backfield of him and forte could be very interesting

crunchie44 wrote: »
    Anyone think theres truth behind the bears possibly moving up in draft to get mariota? Titans reportedly open to trading pick. Talk of cutler trade plus extra to sweeten the deal? Any thoughts on mariota? I know they say he is not thr typical pro ready QB but if Bears are looking to run the ball more maybe a backfield of him and forte could be very interesting
    I'll scream if we do this. Terrible idea to be trading because we can't afford to give up picks right now, we have fourteen players over 30, with two more due to turn that age this year. If Mariota fell to us maybe, but would hate the trade. Doesn't seem to be much substance to it though, just speculation. Anyway what I've seen of mariota isn't setting my world alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

crunchie44 wrote: »

I really doubt they would trade for the number two spots. Titans would ask for too much (remember what Washington gave up a few years ago) and thats not taking into account Cutlers salary which the Titans would have to take on. I have read that its possible that its just a ruse to make teams realise that if Mariota is there when we pick at #7 then any teams below us that want him will have to give up a lot in a trade with the Bears. Draft psychology :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jeff Dickerson thinks we are only going to have 2 primetime games this year!

I love day games.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Jeff Dickerson thinks we are only going to have 2 primetime games this year!

I love day games.

Between the big market and the high expectations we ended up getting loads of prime time last year, which just have us chances to humiliate ourselves in front of very big audiences. Nfl probably regretting that now, and it'll be great for Irish bears fans to be able to watch more games at a reasonable hour.

I think the below is a really good post. I wouldn't agree with the TE bit (apart from it being a horrid draft for them), but i'm not getting a WR in the first being mocked to us (I assume it's due to Marshall trade)

I don't see the point in an early WR if we still can't run the ball due to our weak Oline. In saying that if Cooper or White fell to us I wouldn't be upset as long as we took a guard or tackle in the 2nd/3rd. Both are super prospects I just don't think they are our number one need, though they may be be BPA hence I'd be okay with it.

I just can't believe Mel kiper's latest mock has us drafting Perriman at 7 - I'll be setting up the fire Ryan Pace website! A second or third rounder receiver no problem - it's a very strong draft for them depth wise.

Also I'd like to think between Fangio, Fox & Pace they could evaluate the 4-5 top edge rushers and pick one that will pan out.

I'd even like to trade back and draft Shelton. He might lack a massive ceiling but will be a good NFL player for 7+ years.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?888859-Offseason-Thread-8-0/page16

I might be going against the grain a bit here but I don't think we should be limiting ourselves to just defense either, because I think the offense actually has bigger holes to fill than the defense does, even if the defense has more holes overall.

Where I differ from many, is that I don't believe one of those holes is a WR. Our offensive line could, imo, use between 1 and 3 starters (depending on Slauson's recovery) and I'd ideally like to be able to rotate the o line during the game, to keep them fresh, to help the running game.

TE is probably my #2 offensive priority, since it nets us an extra blocker for 2te sets, and a backup for Bennett. That said this is a horrid TE draft.

Lastly, I think we absolutely need to come out of this draft with - at least one - running back.

The run game has been very anemic the passed few years, and I think that's probably the biggest piece of the puzzle missing from this team right now.. and a far bigger factor towards our success and lack there of, than it is the passing game, or even the defense, post FA.

We get good at running the ball and we slow the game down. Opposing offenses don't have time to run the score on us, and Jay isn't forced to make desperate plays constantly to catch up. Jay also passes less in general, limiting turnovers, and when he does pass, there are less people in coverage because they are forced to stack the box, or account for play action.

We've been hearing about getting off the bus running for a few years now, and multiple times under Trestman we heard complaints about the lack of run game and how we'd run more next week.... But we never really did that, because our running game simply wasn't and still isn't good enough to carry the offense. So I am all for drafting offensively, just so long as we are actually addressing the real problem... And that problem simply is not the lack of a 6th receiver for Jay to throw interceptions at.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭crunchie44

out of interest where will you guys watch the draft? will it be on sky or week I have to watch online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Its on sky

Advertisement