Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Be amazed if Jay goes.

Yeah, makes too much sense to roll with him for another year or two for the duration of his guaranteed money. If he's never gonna be an MVP, you should at least be able to get decent production out of him. If not, move on when there's no longer a cap penalty.

Still worth looking out for the 10th of March date, as the new regime haven't publicly committed to him in any way at this point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

nfl.com reporting bears are looking to trade Marshall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

nfl.com reporting bears are looking to trade Marshall

Old news really it's been rumoured for about a week and his tweets have been strange.

I'd have kept him, 31, but his game should age well, didn't really rely on speed. A bit similar to Anquan Boldin, who's 34, and had a productive season last year.

Main question-mark would be can you keep him on the field, injury record hasn't been great of late. And I guess the personal stuff, but I thought that could be overcome.

Numbers are something like $10m next year. Cap savings of about $4m if they cut him, with $6m dead money. So I don't think they'll cut him if they don't get a trade. Surely worth holding onto for the sake of $4m cap space.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Trading him is a huge error I feel.

• Advertisement

It's clearly the off the field, mouth piece issues, nothing more or less.

I doubt they question his talent or work ethic etc.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    It's clearly the off the field, mouth piece issues, nothing more or less.

I doubt they question his talent or work ethic etc.

I see a passionate guy struggling to express his anger. He was never a problem before last season.

Can't believe he's not going to be a Bear. There are so many bums in that locker room that should be kicked out. He isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

as a packer fan if cobb goes and marshall hits free agency i would def pick him up!! Marshall was class in 2013 - and to blame him being frustrated at the rest of the team and jay and using him a scape goat is a bit much in my opinion!! He was in the top 5 wr's pre season last year - and if he goes to a decent qb - there is no reason why he cant be back in top 5 again!! Rodgers would have a dual deep threat with nelson and marshall which would be epic

As a bears fan i wouldnt be too excited to loose him - cos teams will just double up against jeffrey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

as a packer fan if cobb goes and marshall hits free agency i would def pick him up!! Marshall was class in 2013 - and to blame him being frustrated at the rest of the team and jay and using him a scape goat is a bit much in my opinion!! He was in the top 5 wr's pre season last year - and if he goes to a decent qb - there is no reason why he cant be back in top 5 again!! Rodgers would have a dual deep threat with nelson and marshall which would be epic

As a bears fan i wouldnt be too excited to loose him - cos teams will just double up against jeffrey
    Knowing our luck this us exactly what will happen,Marshall will go north and have a grand old time catching ball from ar and kicking our asses with a smile on his face. I don't really see what's bad about Marshall right now that warrants cutting him to save a poxy four million.

Lance Briggs has been let go by the by. Not unexpected, but the biggest departure since 54.

• Advertisement

Lance Briggs has been let go by the by. Not unexpected, but the biggest departure since 54.

This is a bum that needed to go right here. He hasn't given a single sh*t since Lovie left.

He was supposed to be the leader after 54 left and he was just showing up for the paycheck. A cancer that I'm sure affected some of the younger guys on the team with his attitude.

Used to love the guy, more than Urlacher actually. I have 3 Briggs jerseys and only one Urlacher one. My opinion of him has soured over the past few seasons though. I might have gotten over it at some point in the future and remembered all of the positives, but the **** he pulled in 2014 was the final straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Letting Marshall go would be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pksligo

Marshall has been traded to the jets, pending a physical.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Didn't see the jets coming tbh

pksligo wrote: »
    Marshall has been traded to the jets, pending a physical.

For a fifth round pick. I really don't see the value in the trade.

For a 5th rounder.

I'm pretty sad about this. One of my favourite Bears.

Clauses just re-signed, end of cutler?

Clauses just re-signed, end of cutler?

Hahaha.

A fifth. Unbelievable.

They've just added another need to a team that already has too many. This is the dumbest decision the team has made in years. They crippled our WRs and made Alshon less effective for a 5th round pick and to save $4m dollars. Strike 1.

I hope Marshall has a huge season just to show those idiots what a massive mistake they have just made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Deal makes no sense whatsoever. If he stayed healthy he could of had a huge season. Guess it was his off field actions that sealed his fate.

• Advertisement

If Geno is the starter the trade ends in misery. When B was the leading the league in intercepts with a scheme that begun and ended with him getting the ball from his best mate he was still petulant at times. Just imagine when he loses ten games without close to that level of involvement.

He's a massive loss to the franchise. Probably it's best player since he arrived.

Chris Conte gone. No surprise, very injury prone, got the blame for the blown coverage in 2013 against packers and was missing most if last year. Talk that the bears will go hard for a top 5 FA safety (draft looks weak on safeties apparently, and that, along with line backer, are our biggest needs, so that will be interesting to watch)

We are set to sign Pernell McPhee from the cash-strapped Ravens.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2015/3/9/8174845/report-chicago-bears-to-sign-pernell-mcphee

Sounds very cheap, about 3 million guaranteed a year for a guy who got 7.5 sacks last year. Very versatile supposedly, which will be handy in a mixed scheme like we are going to be using this year. Would be interesting to know what the Ravens fans think of him, but that looks like a good deal for us from where I'm standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Guffy

How much do ya rate kap? I don't at all. Would cost more in the long run to cut him if trade didn't work out but should free up about 10mill this year

http://www.windy-citysport.com/posts/1937688/bears_interested_in_colin_kaepernick.html

He is a big physical player. 17 career sacks not great and interestingly 44% of them last year. 3.5 in 28 games before that.

Young, versatile & physical. Seems expensive though but that's hardly new for us.

Overall I think it's a good, solid, unspectacular signing.

He played for the Ravens - already makes him our best Lber anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

gufc21 wrote: »
    How much do ya rate kap? I don't at all. Would cost more in the long run to cut him if trade didn't work out but should free up about 10mill this year

http://www.windy-citysport.com/posts/1937688/bears_interested_in_colin_kaepernick.html

Not really expensive to cut Kap at all. His contract is very team friendly meaning he can be cut fairly cheaply at any point.

Having said that I don't think he's going to the bears or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Guffy

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not really expensive to cut Kap at all. His contract is very team friendly meaning he can be cut fairly cheaply at any point.

Having said that I don't think he's going to the bears or anywhere else.

I don't either. I know it wouldn't cost a lot, i just mean comparing the two contracts after the end of next season. Each year is a couple mill higher than cutler. In saying that if it did go through I'd imagine he'll be there at least as long as fox is

kennyb3 wrote: »
    He is a big physical player. 17 career sacks not great and interestingly 44% of them last year. 3.5 in 28 games before that.

Young, versatile & physical. Seems expensive though but that's hardly new for us.

Overall I think it's a good, solid, unspectacular signing.

He played for the Ravens - already makes him our best Lber anyway.

Yeah I was only saying cheap going on last year's stats, hadn't looked at before then. We're in desperate need at LB, everyone we have is ****e, basically.

Happy with that.

We need a safety, a DT and a lineman too before the draft.

• Advertisement

Don't know McPhee very well, but people seem to like him. Thought I heard Doug Farrar talking him up last season, and he has an article on the trade:

Bears look to underrated, versatile Pernell McPhee to fix woeful defense

His versatility seems a good asset when you're retooling the defense.

Disappointed to see Marshall go, about my favourite player on the team the first 2 years he was here. Went down in my estimation last year with the 'Inside the NFL' stuff. According to Brad Biggs, he'd said after this season (and after Pace and Fox were hired) that he wanted to do the show again next season, so that didn't sound good. Sorry to see him go, but seems like at least part of it, he brought on himself.

Advertisement