Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Hall Of Fame 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They are really running out of candidates now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yep read that earlier, delighted to see The Godfather is going in, I 1st remember him as papa shango back in the mid 90's, maybe earlier, anyway, The Godfather during the attitude days was one of my favourite characters, that opening part of his music coupled with Lawlor or JBL's reaction to it in later appearances was brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

How so? Quite the opposite actually.

At the point that Jacqueline, Papa Shango and Koko B Ware are in, the standard is so low that it would take literally decades to run through all the "deserving" candidates.

Next year: Bull Buchanan, Joy Giovanni & Bob Holly.

Pentecost wrote: »
    The Godfather the latest inductee into the Hall of Fame. Without the hoes presumably/unfortunately. I always liked him actually he was a solid hand.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwe-hall-fame/article/godfather-inducted-wwe-hall-fame-class-2016

Withouth being contrarian, I'm not sure you've captured the meaning of that phrase. A 'solid hand' is someone who you can always trust to have a good match but not necessarily someone who's off the charts in terms of personality. Lance Storm, for example.

Wright got various gimmicks over to differing degrees, but the one area he was anything but solid was in ring, where he invariably stunk the joint out. Honestly, if I spent a long time thinking about it, I don't think I can remember a single match of his that I thought was good or better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I know what I was trying to say alright but maybe I'm just looking back with rose tinted glasses. Maybe a solid company guy is more accurate. Did his best with what he was given for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Godfather had one Intercontinental title and one tag title reign. Koko B. Ware had no title reigns.

WWE can call on plenty more wrestlers every year to fill up a card in the Hall Of Fame if that's the level of achievement needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

All Takers boys will be in the hall of fame.

Mideon will be in soon. Savio Vega.

Pentecost wrote: »
    I know what I was trying to say alright but maybe I'm just looking back with rose tinted glasses. Maybe a solid company guy is more accurate. Did his best with what he was given for a number of years.

That's spot on. I struggled to have any affection for him because his matches really were terrible but his Papa Shango & Godfather gimmicks were certainly memorable. Really though, anyone who sat through a lot of Kama matches in 1995 probably lost years of their life. I'm not entirely sure how, I just know I aged about 6 months every time he worked .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Yay the Hall of Fame argument again!! Personally I think its great to see guys like Godfather recognised for the careers they had. And The Godfather between 98-00 was one of the top 5 most over babyfaces in the fed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

One thing that annoyed me was Ric Flair being inducted twice

Makes absolutely no sense, someone like Triple H would have to get 3 rings then for being himself, and in DX and Evolution

Then do you start awarding more HOF nominations based on different gimmicks ? Taker getting in twice for Biker Taker, and Deadman Taker for instance

Some of the people getting in is a joke, but getting in more than once makes a mockery of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like Godfather and I know their Hall of Fame is not to be taken too seriously but I find it a total joke that he is going in.

In other news, Meltzer is reporting that they have changed their minds on Brock vs Bray at Mania and that it will now be Brock vs Ambrose.

On paper I think this would be a much better match, but the thought of Ambrose beating Lesnar fills me with dismay. No disrespect to him but he should not be the one beating the Beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I like Godfather and I know their Hall of Fame is not to be taken too seriously but I find it a total joke that he is going in.

Hey, you cant spell HOF without HO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

There are plenty of real legends that should be going in before the Ultimate Fighting Machine Kama.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Speaking of the Hall Of Fame, Lemmy for the "Celebrity" section, which should happen should Triple H get his way.

• Advertisement

One thing that annoyed me was Ric Flair being inducted twice

Makes absolutely no sense, someone like Triple H would have to get 3 rings then for being himself, and in DX and Evolution

Then do you start awarding more HOF nominations based on different gimmicks ? Taker getting in twice for Biker Taker, and Deadman Taker for instance

Some of the people getting in is a joke, but getting in more than once makes a mockery of it

This is actually perfectly normal. There are more than 20 people in the Rock 'n' Roll HOF twice. Lennon & The Beatles. Jackson & The Jackson 5. Genesis & Peter Gabriel. Eric Clapton & The Yardbirds. Etc, etc.

I think it's cool for a number of reasons. Firstly because it's a way of remembering great acts instead of great individuals. Secondly since the purpose of the WWE HOF is to sell tickets, it's very effective because it allows you to get more mileage out of people. And thirdly, it gives people who would never otherwise have their moment in the sun a chance to shine, like Blanchard, Dillon, Windham etc.

It's probably not worth getting worked up over. The WWE Hall of Fame exists to sell out an arena, and provide content for the network. No legitimate Hall of Fame is decided by one man's whim. That's all that this is. That it provides some genuinely touch moments is incidental. The idea that The Four Horsemen going in makes a mockery of a Hall Of Fame that features Vince McMahon's limo driver (James Dudley) is amusing though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I do think that they are scrapping the barrel with credible names for HOF at this stage.

Maybe only induct 2-3 that way you don't have filler or undeserving names go in each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

They still have plenty of big names. I think it's fine to put some "lesser" guys in and give them one final moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I always think of the hall of fame decision making process a bit like the golden cleric award in father ted.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I always think of the hall of fame decision making process a bit like the golden cleric award in father ted.

Kevin Dunn: What about the Godfather?
    Vince: ....whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Love it! :pac:

*Triple H sitting back in his office chair* "What about the Godfather this year?"

VKM: "......whatever"

EDIT: Damn you MM!

I do think that they are scrapping the barrel with credible names for HOF at this stage.

Maybe only induct 2-3 that way you don't have filler or undeserving names go in each year.

2 - 3 isn't enough to fill out the card. You need a minimum of 6 really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Monokne wrote: »
    2 - 3 isn't enough to fill out the card. You need a minimum of 6 really.

That goes against his entire point though. The HOF is becoming horribly diluted with average names. I'd rather see 1 big inductee every year than 6 or more. The whole point of a Hall of Fame is exclusivity, but they're letting every Tom, Dick and Harry in these days.

I don't agree with a lot of things Jericho says but he was 100% right here imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lads, Its Vinces HoF. He picks and chooses who he wants in, its not based on merit or achiements or performance. If it makes sense to Vince, then thats all the criteria you need.

Its really not to be taken seriously.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That goes against his entire point though. The HOF is becoming horribly diluted with average names. I'd rather see 1 big inductee every year than 6 or more. The whole point of a Hall of Fame is exclusivity, but they're letting every Tom, Dick and Harry in these days.

I don't disagree that it would be nice to see a wrestling hall of fame ceremony on a grand basis that really meant something, but unfortunately the WWE HOF is not that nor will it ever be so best not to get too distressed over it.

In the first class inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, James Dudley went in. James Dudley worked for Vince St collecting tickets at the gate, driving his limo, being his bodyguard, etc. George Steele, Johnny Rodz, Nikolai Volkoff, The Bushwhackers, Koko B. Ware, MR FUJI, Wendi Richter, Paul Bearer, Rikishi...there are a ton of marginal performers with mediocre careers in the WWE Hall of Fame. If the first class of the Hall of Fame contains a limo driver, and they've been putting in mid-carders most years since, exactly how can Jacqueline or Kama dilute it? That horse bolted a long, long time ago.

Luckily, you have some alternatives.

If you really do want a legitimate HOF, the Wrestling Observer HOF is decided on by the biggest names in the business and the most educated historians, and is extremely tough to get into:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_Observer_Newsletter_Hall_of_Fame

Strongly advise reading to Meltzer's bio's each year when someone new is inducted if you have a passion for the history of the business.

If you want to see a ceremony in which peers who respect each other honour one another, there's Cauliflower Alley:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower_Alley_Club

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Lads, Its Vinces HoF. He picks and chooses who he wants in, its not based on merit or achiements or performance. If it makes sense to Vince, then thats all the criteria you need.

Its really not to be taken seriously.

This is absolutely spot on.

I think the recent Hall of Classes such as 2012, 2013, and 2014 were all good.

Last year Hall of Fame class was meh. Alundra Blayze was the only speech worth watching in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Always likened the Godfather to a comedy act myself, never had much time for the chap as he wasn't a whole lot to look at in the ring either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Strange couple of days with this being announced and Leonardo DiCaprio winning his Oscar too.

I wonder if they continue with Warrior award this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

might be almost time for us to vote in a new class to the boards HOF :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wrestlezone are reporting that
    Stan Hansen
    will be the next inductee

He's in the program so I'd sure hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Where did you manage to see the program for the event, fam?

I haven't seen it bro, Meltzer reported the names in the program about 3 weeks ago, which included Jacqui & Hansen

Snoop dog is the celebrity inductee just announced.

This is interesting:

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/legacy-award-be-added-wwe-hall-fame-210221

Seems like they want to add legitimacy to their HOF by pumping in a whole bunch of genuine, HOF worthy performers. Unfortunately, you can't put toothpaste back in a tube so it's pretty redundant.

• Advertisement

I've a question lads. Brutus the barber beefcake ? HOF Worthy ?

I've a question lads. Brutus the barber beefcake ? HOF Worthy ?

How could he not be!

[Lance Storm] If I could be serious for a moment [/lance storm] though, no for me he isn't but then again in the WWE HOF the standard isn't exactly the same and he could no doubt get in as one of the filler names in a years HOF class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well firstly, Its the WWE Hall of Fame, so anyone and everyone should be allowed in, seeing as the sole basis for induction seems to be “Does Vince McMahon like the guy” or “Can WWE make gain from adding this guy in?” rather than being there on merit and achievements. The WWE Hall of Fame isn’t to be taken seriously.

But any wrestling personality can and most likely will go in once its good for WWE business. Someone like Ed Leslie (Beefcake) will be on the same kind of level as The Godfather, and he got in, so I see no reason why The Barber can’t be inducted at some stage.

In fairness I have fond memories of Beefcake and while he never reached high levels of fame or in-ring acclaim, he was a memorable character in the 80’s/early 90’s in WWF (like who didn’t grab a garden sheers in Atlantic Homecare and imitate Beefcake). I see no reason why he wouldn’t go in at some stage and I have no problem with it.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well firstly, Its the WWE Hall of Fame, so anyone and everyone should be allowed in, seeing as the sole basis for induction seems to be “Does Vince McMahon like the guy” or “Can WWE make gain from adding this guy in?” rather than being there on merit and achievements. The WWE Hall of Fame isn’t to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I never really get the objections to the wwe hall of fame not being worthy. Every hall of fame is flawed. The observer one doesnt have sting but has lesnar. Sting has done more for wrestling then brock has at the minute.

Eventually they will add the neccesary people like Lou Thesz and it will not get that reaction but until then it is seen as just who Vince wants to add cos even though there are arguements for why people like him aren't in other people who are completely invalidate that (for example you could say Thesz wasn't a WWF/E guy but there are people in the HOF who never wrestled in the fed so...).

• Advertisement

"A hall of fame is a structure housing memorials to famous or illustrious individuals in a certain field, usually chosen by a group of electors."

The WWE's hall of fame is chosen by a single elector, and essentially is based on whether or not he likes and is on good terms with you. Added to that, they have a formula they like to meet for each years class - 1 'ethnic' inductee, 1 woman. (In case you wondered why lifelong midcarders The Godfather and Jacqueline went in this year, or Madusa & Rikishi last year). There's also the goal of limiting the amount of deceased inductees so as not to be depressing.

So basically if you're on good terms with the company, Vince doesn't hate you, and/or you're black or female, you've a good shot at getting in.

It doesn't bother me, but the idea or pretension that it is somehow prestigous is certainly amusing.

I also remember reading that if you are to be inducted you have to sign up for a WWE legends contract or something similar. Think it might have been Cornette saying it and how he had no intention to sign on as a legend although he also didn't think they would want to induct him consider some of the things he has saying

I do feel like they have lowered their standards this year. If Godfather can get in, I wonder will Zack Ryder can get in a few years time since he was popular for a brief amount of time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I do feel like they have lowered their standards this year. If Godfather can get in, I wonder will Zack Ryder can get in a few years time since he was popular for a brief amount of time.

Ryder should get in on the back of his Internet show alone. He was ahead of the game (No not you Hunter) when it came to utilizing Social Media and Youtube to pimp himself and get noticed.

And he is a former Tag Team Champ and US champ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm a bit stumped in terms of the debate re: who should go in- who should go out.

I can see the point people have about it taking the prestige of the HOF if lower card guys start being inducted but I can also see the merits in inducting lesser names.

I think a small thing that has killed the HOF a bit is the sheer numbers they induct every year. When it was resurrected they completely stacked the classes. It would have saved the nesscesity to pad out the event with smaller names.

Hogan, Piper, Slaughter, Sheik, Heenan all went in, in the same year. I'd easily be just as sold as a fan if you inducted Hogan and maybe another worthy trio one year( Four inductees in total) and the next year do the same with Piper and so on.

Just think of the truly legendary names left to go in. There aren't that many. Next five years for arguments sake. How many odds on headliners do we have?

Angle, Taker, Rock, Brock, Vince, Trips?

• Advertisement
Advertisement