Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

phatkev wrote: »
    Yeah they gave up a few big gains on the ground early on, but seemed to tighten it up a bit after a while. but yeah they need to be on top of that **** from the start of the game. I was surprised with the jets run game, couldn't get anything going until late in the game. and another game has gone with Kerley getting little to no snaps, while Enunwa is on the field dropping passes left, right and centre!!
    Hopefully Deckers Knee injury isn't too serious.
    Media folk are already downplaying this win but for me this was a huge win, to beat Luck, on the road in primetime, whilst forcing 5 turnovers

Also who's this Revis guy:D

Yeah very surprised with Kerley not getting reps although I don't mind giving the other guys a run out a bit. Decker was great and really seems to be enjoying the #2 role, much less pressure on him (albeit from a weak secondary last night). The run game was tough for Ivory and then Powell until we softened them up through the air. Might just be a case of being a bit safe and obvious to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trying not to get too excited. The return of Revis Island is very positive, but plenty of other issues in the mix at this stage.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Trying not to get too excited.

I'll definitely look at the game again tonight with a more level head, but until then you wont be able to get the smile of my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Geno back in training. Expected to be number 2 v eagles. That was a quick recovery.

Happy with the results so far, Marshall is what we were missing in redzone. That TD above is a man's TD. Decker also has started very well, injury is a concern.

Should be going into Sunday confident, then Wembley

• Advertisement

gerire wrote: »

Should be going into Sunday confident, then Wembley

this would have been the ultimate trap game for the Rex Ryan New York Jets, so it'll be interesting to see how Bowles handles it. A lot of people seem to be going for a Jets win, but I'm of the opinion that they will have to bring their A game against an Eagles team that desperately needs the W. Ivory and Decker are both listed as questionable, if they both miss out its a serious loss on offense.

Hopefully the Eagles o-line continues to be trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Very enjoyable win and fair play to anybody at home who stayed up!

Fitzpatrick looked comfortable and assured although Folk missing to go 13-0 was pretty bad. A kickable three points in an indoor stadium. Great defense too giving Luck none. Bulldozing TD from Marshall.

2-0 is a great start and the next three are winnable before going to the cheats.

So Decker is officially out today. Could be a big loss, Fitz and himself seem to have a good thing going. I expect Devin Smith and Kerley to get a good share of snaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Very obvious but we can't afford to fall behind in games or we are screwed.
    Second half we played very good on Defense and tbh we were pretty much the same on O as the past 2 weeks only this time we were chasing the game.

What on earth was Marshall thinking with that lateral TO though :eek:

We missed Decker and Ivory a lot, our run game struggled big time, that extra yard or 2 Ivory gives us makes a difference

Nothing to worry about, this is who I expected us to be.
    The Eagles are going nowhere though, wheel routes aside Bradford was average.

Hope Revis is ok though, supposedly a hammy.

Anyone else off to Wembley next week? Sitting in the East Stand Endzone.
    Curtis Martin will be at the fan rally in Trafalgar Sq on the Saturday.

Defense actually played pretty well today. A few bad running plays and letting linebackers cover rbs didnt turn out to well but otherwise really good. Offense let them down, left so many points on the field and Marshall ****ed up big time, twice! Missed Decker and Ivory so much. Yeah Fitz isnt going to get it done without a running game. Line struggled big time when Colon went off. Smith had a decent enough debut

• Advertisement

Missed most of the game but from what I saw/read Fitz really was poor, anything further than 15 yards is out of his range and without Decker to distract from Marshall it was very easy for them to double cover him all day. The run D is a real concern too, with the corners we have we want other teams to be throwing at us, the 1st quarter run D needs to step up miles. Especially bearing in mind that was RB2/3 for the eagles yesterday too.

hots wrote: »
    Missed most of the game but from what I saw/read Fitz really was poor, anything further than 15 yards is out of his range and without Decker to distract from Marshall it was very easy for them to double cover him all day. The run D is a real concern too, with the corners we have we want other teams to be throwing at us, the 1st quarter run D needs to step up miles. Especially bearing in mind that was RB2/3 for the eagles yesterday too.

In fairness the d-linewas blowing up running assignments all day, Matthews just had a really good first half breaking tackles. It's something that they should be able to correct.

In fairness the d-linewas blowing up running assignments all day, Matthews just had a really good first half breaking tackles. It's something that they should be able to correct.

Hopefully, not as dominant as they should be though with the talent... could be very interesting after the bye-week with the full Dline back, Geno either starting or knocking at the door, Decker and Ivory definitely back and other Smith getting settled.

Also tickets arrived for Sunday, can't wait for the game! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I don't think the D-Line was too bad, not top 5 but not disastrous.
    Also we are missing our best player in Richardson - He will make a huge difference if we get him back for game 5.

Well this is going well.

Fireman Ed the davy keogh of the Jets.

The game was great yesterday, lots of jets fans around. Chris ivory is just a beast all the time, 100% committed. So good :)

A decent win, the defense and Ivory completely dominated. Fitz is just plain bad though, this game should have been over at the half. From continually starring down Marshall, to being incredibly inaccurate on throws, to his horrendous attempts at long balls! Special teams also looks like a steaming pile of dog sh1te. But we're 3-1 heading into the bye. I would have taken that every single time before the season started. Also, we should have that guy Sheldon Richardson back when we start week 6. Good god am I excited to watch this defense once he returns. Final word goes to Mo Wilkerson, he has played absolutely lights out these first four weeks!

Forgot to mention Skrine, had a really strong game yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

A decent win, the defense and Ivory completely dominated. Fitz is just plain bad though, this game should have been over at the half. From continually starring down Marshall, to being incredibly inaccurate on throws, to his horrendous attempts at long balls! Special teams also looks like a steaming pile of dog sh1te. But we're 3-1 heading into the bye. I would have taken that every single time before the season started. Also, we should have that guy Sheldon Richardson back when we start week 6. Good god am I excited to watch this defense once he returns. Final word goes to Mo Wilkerson, he has played absolutely lights out these first four weeks!

Fitz is a worry. He had two passes at Marshall (Red Zone 2nd Q and wide right in the 3rd) and both should have been picks but Miami messed up the first and were unlucky with the second.

His two passes to Smith in the 3rd quarter too were awful, coming nowhere near their target.

If we are to continue with Fitz, surely it has to be smart 10-15 yard passes and nothing too long? The performance of the OL, Ivory and WRs really covered for a poor day for him.

However, we are 3-1! And we are about to get better on defence!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

First chance to post since I got back from London. Defense was very impressive despite a few questionable pass interference calls against them. Ivory and Marshall outstanding. Decker good but clearly not fully fit hopefully bye week will help him. Not over concerned about Fitz. Interception was a clear pass interference on Smith - couldn't believe it wasn't called. Seemed to be no chemistry between Fitz and Smith and some of the seemingly bad throws to Smith may have a lot to do with Smiths route running. Overall it was a great experience to see the Jets play live for the first time in over 12 years.

• Advertisement

the bye week finally over and Washington are coming to town. this really is a game that should be won! Was just having a look at their injury report and they seem to be crippled with injuries. One group that looked particularly depilated was their o-line, the projected starters as of right now are: LT Nsekhe (0 starts); LG Long (2 starts); C LeRibeus (0 starts); RG Scherff (5 starts); RT Moses (6 starts). The d-line should have an absolute field day on Sunday. And lets not forget that this guy is back looking for a slice of the pie!
    new-york-jets-sheldon-richardson.jpg?w=600

Great second half
    those early turnovers would have killed us if the competition had of been better, they have to improve on ball control for our wide receivers. Also need better coverage on RB's especially for next week. Special teams on punts still look lackluster. But Marshall and Ivory are really getting it done on offense, and to think they were got for a 5th and a 4th round pick!

Bowles' reaction to the Jets being 4-1: "I think we have a chance at being a decent team." the difference in this team from top to bottom compared to the previous regime is unreal.

Great second half
    those early turnovers would have killed us if the competition had of been better, they have to improve on ball control for our wide receivers. Also need better coverage on RB's especially for next week. Special teams on punts still look lackluster. But Marshall and Ivory are really getting it done on offense, and to think they were got for a 5th and a 4th round pick!

Bowles' reaction to the Jets being 4-1: "I think we have a chance at being a decent team." the difference in this team from top to bottom compared to the previous regime is unreal.

Ivory really is a beast, and great to see him being preserved when possible too. The turnovers were a bit of a shame alright but looking on the bright side at least it wasn't QB errors causing it, in fact I thought it was probably Fitz's most controlled performance, no panic-y wild lobs that I can remember. Would love to see Smith given some more medium distance routes just to try and bring some more attention away from Decker and Marshall...

So how are you guys feeling about tomorrows game? For the Jets to win this game they have to be at there absolute best with minimal mistakes, yeah I'm looking at you offense! I think the game plan will be to give Ivory the rock alot and let Fitz manage the clock, keep Brady off the field frustrate him and the crowd. It'll will be interesting to see what Bowles does with the defense, the good news on that side of the ball is that Skrine and Williams will be suited up,so we have the top 4 corners and top 2 safeties on the field. Their o-line doesn't look the strongest so hopefully Brady won't have too many clean pockets and the secondary will stop him from getting ball out of his had quick.

Also the bookies currently have the Jets at +8.5, free money in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

So how are you guys feeling about tomorrows game? For the Jets to win this game they have to be at there absolute best with minimal mistakes, yeah I'm looking at you offense! I think the game plan will be to give Ivory the rock alot and let Fitz manage the clock, keep Brady off the field frustrate him and the crowd. It'll will be interesting to see what Bowles does with the defense, the good news on that side of the ball is that Skrine and Williams will be suited up,so we have the top 4 corners and top 2 safeties on the field. Their o-line doesn't look the strongest so hopefully Brady won't have too many clean pockets and the secondary will stop him from getting ball out of his had quick.

Also the bookies currently have the Jets at +8.5, free money in my opinion!

Apparently Steve Weatherford has been signed! Quigley took a fair shot on the blocked punt but wasnt on the injury report until today. Big upgrade in my opinion but I didnt think I'd see him in the green and white again, seemed to be alot of bad blood once he left last time around.

Apparently Steve Weatherford has been signed! Quigley took a fair shot on the blocked punt but wasnt on the injury report until today. Big upgrade in my opinion but I didnt think I'd see him in the green and white again, seemed to be alot of bad blood once he left last time around.

He was very poor yesterday anyway :/ bit disappointed to go so close yesterday but to be so close to taking the win is a real sign of progress imo.

hots wrote: »
    He was very poor yesterday anyway :/ bit disappointed to go so close yesterday but to be so close to taking the win is a real sign of progress imo.

Yeah just one mistake too many, and you wont get away with that in Foxboro! but definite progress, the team is on the up

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Yeah just one mistake too many, and you wont get away with that in Foxboro! but definite progress, the team is on the up

What's impressive is we were a dropped catch away from taking a win away from Foxboro, something that is extremely rare. Also, it wasn't like the Ryan era where everyone put everything they had into this one game and still lost. Marshall had a bad day, we had no run game and Buster was a big loss but we still pushed them hard.

The last 2 minutes were disappointing by Bowles, but he held his hand up, said he made a mistake and had Marshall hurried up in the last few seconds, we would have had a Hail Mary to try tie.

The next two weeks are unbelievably important now. We need to beat a good Raiders team (can't remember the last time I used those three words in a row!) and then follow it up at home to the Jags and Bills.

November is a huge month for us. 2 road games (Oakland and Houston) and 3 home incl 2 divisional games. While not easy, 5 wins isn't completely out of the question

• Advertisement

Disappointing considering the chances were there to beat them. While not as heartbreaking as the game there this time last year that's 3 in a row against them that have been very close.

Revis' comments at the end were spot on. Chance at the end was unfortunate.

Watching it in a bar full of their fans was painful!

Advertisement