Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

BeerNut wrote: »
    It'll be a while, I'd say.

And I'd say it's the same story at Camden Street.

The good thing is they have serious experience in this area. Been in a couple in England that were old listed buildings and the job they did was fantastic.

I see they are selling off a number of bars in England & Scotland. On closer inspection of the list I read they seem to be in less salubrious locations. Maybe a small change of direction for them?

http://mobile.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Operators/JD-Wetherspoon/JDW-puts-20-pubs-on-the-market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Trond wrote: »
    I see they are selling off a number of bars in England & Scotland. On closer inspection of the list I read they seem to be in less salubrious locations. Maybe a small change of direction for them?

http://mobile.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Operators/JD-Wetherspoon/JDW-puts-20-pubs-on-the-market

They are also to open 4 on the same day next week, one of the will be the old boro in Swords

oblivious wrote: »
    They are also to open 4 on the same day next week, one of the will be the old boro in Swords

It'll certainly shake up the market out there.....

The former Old Boro was a odd spot anyway. I was never a fan.

I was at Thomas land Dayton Manor last week and we were staying in the town of Tamworth, near by. There were the classic real ale pubs, that gets locals and people who seek them out. But they tend not to be overly family friendly places.

The was two spoons in the town. But what was interesting was the three other main family pubs/restaurants combination where copies of the spoons model. From food to drinks and even the bar, but all run by different companies!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

oblivious wrote: »
    the three other main family pubs/restaurants combination where copies of the spoons model.
    I've seen loads of this around London and Brighton. It's understandable. Even the way JDW sets out a poster has been very carefully formulated and, if you're a rival, is well worth nicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Anyone been in either Blackrock or DL and noticed if they have their Cider Festival running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Anyone been in either Blackrock or DL and noticed if they have their Cider Festival running?

There were signs for it in blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

their facebook pages are usually up to date, and there are several posts about the cider festival in dun laoghaire

https://www.facebook.com/thefortyfoot?fref=ts

none in blackrock though its not been updated in a while
    https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern?fref=ts

rubadub wrote: »
    their facebook pages are usually up to date, and there are several posts about the cider festival in dun laoghaire

https://www.facebook.com/thefortyfoot?fref=ts

none in blackrock though its not been updated in a while
    https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern?fref=ts

It was running at the Great woods last night. Tempted Cider special reserve was the only Irish cider I think that will be at it. A cracking cider in top condition on cask and only 3.50 a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tempted for €3.50 a pint? Bloody hell, that's worth it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Was out in Blackrock yesterday. Three ciders on the go at once, all €2.95. Enjoyed the Tempted and the Cloudy Scrumpy. The Old Rosie Rhubarb was worth a taste too. As far as I know they were doing a taster of all 3 for €2.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Old Borough not open until next week but they're advertising their prices already.

PWEI wrote: »
    Old Borough not open until next week but they're advertising their prices already.

looks like there are going for the blanch pricing model

Has anyone tried the marmalade cider in Blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

old boro should be interesting. some days, you would walk in to a packed disco bar. other times, there wouldnt be a sinner in it. its taken long enough for them to complete the work, hopefully its decent.

3.50 carlsberg.. yes please.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    old boro should be interesting. some days, you would walk in to a packed disco bar. other times, there wouldnt be a sinner in it. its taken long enough for them to complete the work, hopefully its decent.

Apt username :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

copeyhagen wrote: »
    its 3.8% uk market carlsberg as far as I know.

Do spoons do half pints at all? I prefer to test out new drinks that way.

rubadub wrote: »
    Do spoons do half pints at all? I prefer to test out new drinks that way.

usually good for a try before you by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I'm kind of glad the prices in the Old Borough are not too low. If they were it could attract the wrong crowd & it could get very rough.

They were also advertising food when I passed yesterday. They are going to be doing a full Irish breakfast with unlimited refills of coffee for €4.95.
    Not many places in the Dublin where you'll get a full Irish for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

"i'm kind of glad the prices in the Old Borough are not too low"

WOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Prices gone up today in Dunlaoire
    Thatchers gold up from €2.95 to €3.25

2.95 to 3.25

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mech1 wrote: »
    Prices gone up today in Dunlaoire
    Thatchers gold up from €2.95 to €3.25

Saw that today, will head in later and check it out - assuming everything that was €2.50 went up to €2.75 and everything that was €2.95 went up to €3.25?

Dirty feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Had a look at the Dun Laoghaire menu as I went past. Good news is they still have a selection of draught ales for €2.50, including Adnam's Ghost Ship. Bad news apart from the other price increases is they seem to have dropped a few altogether - Adnam'a Broadside is no longer on the menu, which was my favourite :(

Caveat here is that I didn't have time to actually go inside and ask, and they do have a section which is "selection of draught ales" from €2.50 - Broadside could still be there, just under this new category.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Which four pubs are opening- Swords, Blanch and where else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Which four pubs are opening- Swords, Blanch and where else?

Two in Cork due to open in the short to medium term, one in Waterford and one in Carlow in the medium term, and furthest away is Camden St Hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That should put the cat amongst the pigeons a bit in Cork. Apart from Camden St are there any others earmarked for Dublin city centre?

Saw that today, will head in later and check it out - assuming everything that was €2.50 went up to €2.75 and everything that was €2.95 went up to €3.25?

Dirty feckers.

Loving it, two of us, one was drinking Staropramen one on Thatchers Gold.

We are both now on Carlsberg so the price of a round has dropped from about €5.90 to €5.50:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That should put the cat amongst the pigeons a bit in Cork. Apart from Camden St are there any others earmarked for Dublin city centre?

Not that we know of! I'm sure they're looking around and there are many suitable candidates.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bray (Hollands which is for sale?), Galway, Drogheda and Dundalk were announced next. Maybe Limerick too, but I don't really know the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

n97 mini wrote: »
    Not that we know of! I'm sure they're looking around and there are many suitable candidates.

Middle Abbey Street.

Advertisement