Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

All the main draught ales (Hogoblin, Adnams Ghost Ship and Broadside) have gone from €2.50 to €3.75 in Dun Laoghaire?! :eek:

I can understand inflation given the Euro crisis, but f*ckin' hell. Any chance that this is only temporary?

I'm in dun laoghaire as we type.. I'm paying 2.50 for ghost ship all day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I'm in dun laoghaire as we type.. I'm paying 2.50 for ghost ship all day

Any chance you could stick a picture up of the menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Everything was as normal in blackrock yesterday and I heard one of the senior managers denying any increases when asked about them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Any chance you could stick a picture up of the menu?

I have tried but .. just use the blackrock menu posted above it is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 otto h

At Forty Foot on Friday night, arrived 630pm.
    Lots of beer were on sale at €2.50.
    Slightly chaotic ordering system, didn't look too organized on the other side of the bar - they were out of Fish Friday dinners, out of ribs/chicken combos, out of the first three beers I tried to order (Broadside, Ghost, Hobgoblin).
    Adnams larger was good drinking.
    Piri piri chicken pretty good, chicken wings mediocre, a children's size cod and chip was not good.
    Overall, I'd go for the beer, and try to find a menu item that suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It would seem that ales are indeed still €2.50 in Dun Laoghaire.

To be fair, this is why I thought they weren't - sign at the bottom of the Pavillion steps, next to Crunch Fitness. Can only hope this doesn't mean they're preparing to hike the prices:

CJJg-k6WsAEHQA6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

In the UK the Wetherspoons beer prices vary wildly between pubs, especially city centre vs suburbs. It doesn't make much sense, seeing as Dun Laoghaire would theoretically be more expensive than Blanch.

I imagine though prices will go up in DL and Blackrock anyway, no way they could sustain selling beer that cheap. Well, they could, but they can make more of a profit at higher prices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

In the Great Wood, several punters were spotted ordering cask, mainly the Doombar which was in very good nick.

Obviously the price was a factor (€2.50) but I heard several comments along the lines of "That's not a bad drop of beer at all". Encouraging as you'd have to suspect a good few of them wouldn't have tried cask ale before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

Chelon wrote: »
    In the Great Wood, several punters were spotted ordering cask, mainly the Doombar which was in very good nick.

Obviously the price was a factor (€2.50) but I heard several comments along the lines of "That's not a bad drop of beer at all". Encouraging as you'd have to suspect a good few of them wouldn't have tried cask ale before.

That's one side benefit of the spread of Wetherspoons thats not mentioned as much as the increased price competition, I think. With so many good beers at cheap prices I think a lot of the Budweiser/Heineken only types will be converted to better beers they would never otherwise have tried.

I was in what I'd regard as a local, old man pub last week that had 4/5 non-macro beers on tap. Asked the barman and about it and he said people had been asking for craft. Never would have imagined seeing that even two or three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Blut2 wrote: »
    That's one side benefit of the spread of Wetherspoons thats not mentioned as much as the increased price competition, I think. With so many good beers at cheap prices I think a lot of the Budweiser/Heineken only types will be converted to better beers they would never otherwise have tried.

I was in what I'd regard as a local, old man pub last week that had 4/5 non-macro beers on tap. Asked the barman and about it and he said people had been asking for craft. Never would have imagined seeing that even two or three years ago.

One of my locals classes Peroni as a craft beer and charges €5.60 for the privilege!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Trond wrote: »
    One of my locals classes Peroni as a craft beer and charges €5.60 for the privilege!!! :rolleyes:

Well seeing as there's no real definition of craft beer, no harm in them chancing their arm! Maybe they even believe it themselves, although that's doubtful, any publican worth his salt would be aware of industry trends.

By the by, and I ask this question here 'cos I don't think it necessarily warrants a new thread: Are craft bottles (50cl) generally priced above, below or at around the same level as 'normal' pints in most pubs?

Lucena wrote: »
    Well seeing as there's no real definition of craft beer, no harm in them chancing their arm! Maybe they even believe it themselves, although that's doubtful, any publican worth his salt would be aware of industry trends.

By the by, and I ask this question here 'cos I don't think it necessarily warrants a new thread: Are craft bottles (50cl) generally priced above, below or at around the same level as 'normal' pints in most pubs?

Definitely above in my experience. I paid €6.30 recently for a bottle Kinnegar Limeburner in town.

Only place they'd be cheap would be Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Definitely above in my experience. I paid €6.30 recently for a bottle Kinnegar Limeburner in town.

Only place they'd be cheap would be Wetherspoons.

Or where the landlord doesn't know any better.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Or where the landlord doesn't know any better.

PM please :D

Rare it happens with beer unfortunately. One of my locals sells a few single malts that are €8-10 in town for €4.50-5.00.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rare it happens with beer unfortunately. One of my locals sells a few single malts that are €8-10 in town for €4.50-5.00.

That is entirely normal in auld lad bars. I worked out my local back home adds 50% or so to the price of a bottle (and is extremely careful with pours); that results in 4.50 singles from ~60 quid bottles and 5.00 from ~65 quid bottles. He has a few old single malts that are a tenner a pop - that's how dear he goes. By comparison the local nightclub to my house charges a tenner for a Glemorainge (€40 in Tesco)

I'd expect someone closer to Dublin to charge a bit more, maybe 100% margin on the bottle - but that's still a fraction of the standard fiver-for-a-Jameson that is about 250% on a bottle.

To add to the vastly off-topic Mickey Finns debate from earlier, Maynooth Dunnes has two types :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

PM please :D

There's a pub in Carlow that sells 12 acres large bottles for only €4. All pints are €4 there, Guinness, oharas etc. Seems to me he could charge a lot more for the craft stuff but I'm not complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

L1011 wrote: »
    That is entirely normal in auld lad bars. I worked out my local back home adds 50% or so to the price of a bottle (and is extremely careful with pours); that results in 4.50 singles from ~60 quid bottles and 5.00 from ~65 quid bottles. He has a few old single malts that are a tenner a pop - that's how dear he goes. By comparison the local nightclub to my house charges a tenner for a Glemorainge (€40 in Tesco)

You are implying that Redbreast, etc. is available at 4.50 somewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Geuze wrote: »

Yes - rural Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Redbreast at €4.50 is a phenomenal price no matter where.

Some pubs charge €5+ for NAS whiskey.

Geuze wrote: »

Its either €4.50 or €5 in my local. 12 year Tullamore Dew is deffo €4.50 and they have a couple more as well.

As per the bar manager none of them are overly popular with the locals so they are there basically for tourists and the lucky few who do drink them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Redbreast was 10 quid in Nearys. I really hope he gave me the 16 but i dont think so.

Im a big fan of whiskey but drinking the more expensive ones when out in a pub is a bit of a mugs game. Try all the standard optic whiskeys , find one you like and stick to that. Buy the expensive stuff and enjoy it at home, with some suitable accompaniments (bushmills 16 & a side of a few rasberries is delicious!).

In a pub, Regular jameson is just lovely with literally a drop of water, as is bushmills.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Redbreast was 10 quid in Nearys. I really hope he gave me the 16 but i dont think so.

Im a big fan of whiskey but drinking the more expensive ones when out in a pub is a bit of a mugs game. Try all the standard optic whiskeys , find one you like and stick to that. Buy the expensive stuff and enjoy it at home, with some suitable accompaniments (bushmills 16 & a side of a few rasberries is delicious!).

In a pub, Regular jameson is just lovely with literally a drop of water, as is bushmills.

I think Redbreast for a fiver is fantastic. Its in a different league to anything else in that price bracket. Pity its so expensive generally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

from a friend
    Down in Wetherspoons blanch at the moment for lunch. Most of their taps are dry, feckin hell. The place looks deadly. Having an Adnams Ghost ship - good for 2.50 a pint

:rolleyes:

more of this.

from a friend

:rolleyes:

more of this.

I presume that means they're not being sold yet rather than being sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Is that not about the going rate for a Peroni?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Shemale wrote: »

Yup twas 5.50 a cupla years ago in Galway city centre.

Shemale wrote: »

For town maybe, personally I expected it to be a bit less in a local...

On the Redbreast price topic I paid €5 for one in another local on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

pint of stout(revisionist), pint of bitburger (lager) & Glenmorangie whiskey was less than 8 euro in Blackrock on Sat night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Any sign of movement on the Abbey Street venue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It'll be a while, I'd say.
    There are no opening dates at present as the site requires planning and licensing consents and we look forward to converting this impressive historic building.
    And I'd say it's the same story at Camden Street.

Advertisement