Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Swiwi wrote: »
    Sharks should change their tactics then...

What do you mean? The Chiefs are getting away with murder, their 3 should've had a yellow for a clothesline on Kankowski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

matthew8 wrote: »
    What do you mean? The Chiefs are getting away with murder, their 3 should've had a yellow for a clothesline on Kankowski.

Mate, I have been reading all week how the ABs didn't change their tactics in '07, despite Wayne Barnes not penalising France for love or money. No pity from me mate...if the refs not doing his job - adapt

Mate, I have been reading all week how the ABs didn't change their tactics in '07, despite Wayne Barnes not penalising France for love or money. No pity from me mate...if the refs not doing his job - adapt

That's a joke there's no excuse for a referee not penalising clotheslines in front of his own eyes. There's nothing you can do if the opposition is blocking you either.

That's a joke there's no excuse for a referee not penalising clotheslines in front of his own eyes. There's nothing you can do if the opposition is blocking you either.

Last time I looked there are touch judges too. Yes it was high, but it was missed. Won't be the last time either...refs always make 1 or 2 mistakes per game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Chiefs have it now...would of liked to see Sharks win just because Sykes was playing for them:p

• Advertisement

MOTM - I would go with Retallick - immense game in the tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Steve Walsh is a joke. Chiefs players blocking Sharks off the ball all over the place.

Indeed, disgraceful performance by Walsh. Never thought the sharks would be able to win 3 on the road on the spin, but Walsh was as one sided as I've seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Regardless of Steve Walsh's performance, the Sharks were never at the races today and the Chiefs were well deserved winners by a mile. Roll on the Rugby Championship! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Totally managed to sleep it in. Ugh. Was it a decent match, worth watching a replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

.ak wrote: »
    Totally managed to sleep it in. Ugh. Was it a decent match, worth watching a replay?

It was a decent game but not worth watching a replay of the whole match - a 5 minute highlight reel would show all of what happened.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

Lucky you. Only one team showed up, Sharks looked totally wasted and had awful hands. No point in watching the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Regardless of Steve Walsh's performance, the Sharks were never at the races today and the Chiefs were well deserved winners by a mile. Roll on the Rugby Championship! :D

Indeed, the Sharks were out on their feet by the end against the Stormers last weekend, I never thought they would win 3 on the spin in 3 different countries . No excuse for Walsh's performance though, let the Chiefs away with wandering back from offside positions always convieniently in the way of a Sharks player, and the whole tackler rolling away business.....

That said, I still thought the Sharks got their basics wrong, ball retention, set pieces and Michalak had a day to forget

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Chiefs were easily the best team and the result was an accurate reflection of their superiority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Southern Kings will replace the Lions next year: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7995821,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

The Southern Kings will replace the Lions next year: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7995821,00.html

If you thought the Lions super results were pathetic wait till you see how the Kings get on!! They're going to from division two domestic rugby to super rugby to!!! Super Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

A shame as the Lions played some entertaining rugby probably due to Spencer though there was some discontent with Mitchell. I wonder what will happen with their players as there's a lot of quality youngsters on their books and most European sides will have made their signings already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The whole situation is farcical .

Will the better Lions players be able to get a release from their contracts to move to the Kings? Otherwise where are Kings going to get decent players?

That's an absolute joke. Johannesburg deserves to have a team as the largest city in South Africa, and the Lions have recently won the currie cup. They would also have some internationals if it wasn't for the idiot coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Michael Cheika has been appionted coach of the Waratahs

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12565/8089659/Waratahs-turn-to-Cheika

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Steven Sykes has signed with the Southern Kings for 2013.

Also Luke Watson is set to be their captain next season. His dad, Cheeky Watson, is the president there. Or was, not sure if he still is.

Its a real messy situation, why introduce relegation? What is preventing there being 6 South African Super Rugby franchises? Is it SARU or SANZAR?

Super Rugby may have good try scoring stats and some big attendances but it still hasnt got as exciting a format as the current Heineken Cup. Of course distances play a huge part, internal as well as international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Winters wrote: »

Also Luke Watson is set to be their captain next season. His dad, Cheeky Watson, is the president there. Or was, not sure if he still is.

Its a real messy situation, why introduce relegation? What is preventing there being 6 South African Super Rugby franchises? Is it SARU or SANZAR?

Super Rugby may have good try scoring stats and some big attendances but it still hasnt got as exciting a format as the current Heineken Cup. Of course distances play a huge part, internal as well as international.

SANZAR wouldn't allow it but SARU had messed it up before that. They had promised the Kings a place before ever approaching SANZAR about increasing the number of SA teams. Because of the conference system there has to be the same number of teams in each conference or it would be unbalanced so they were turned down when they eventually asked. They then had to either introduce relegation or go back on their promise so relegation it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Steven Sykes.

Forgot about him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Super 15 is unbalanced enough without adding another team. The conference system does make more local derbies but gives the NZ and SA teams a much harder route to the final than the Oz teams. Three of the Oz teams failed to win 5 games last season whereas only one NZ and one SA team couldn't do this.

I'm not hugely familiar with how the relegation is supposed to work in SA but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Winters wrote: »

:pac:

Possibly the best name of all time

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not hugely familiar with how the relegation is supposed to work in SA but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Whichever SA team finishes lowest is automatically relegated, so this year the Lions were replaced by the Kings. Next year, the worst team will be replaced by the Lions and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Basically the Lions and the Kings will alternate every other year. Because there's no way you can be good enough to not finish bottom unless you're playing every season!

Basically the Lions and the Kings will alternate every other year. Because there's no way you can be good enough to not finish bottom unless you're playing every season!

Pretty much. I really don't think SA thought this through enough. The Kings actually complained about that exact point when it was announced. They wanted 2 years to bed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

How are the Lions and Kings meant to survive financially doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

How are the Lions and Kings meant to survive financially doing this?

they'll lose half their squad to the other when relegated maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It’s such a ridiculous situation. Introducing relegation to their Super Rugby teams is just going to make two weak teams constantly alternating and never improving.

The new Super Rugby format is confusing. If there are 5 teams in each conference, one team gets a bye each round is that correct?

But why the Waratahs, Brian?

BOD flirting with Super Rugby
    http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8168783,00.html

But why the Waratahs, Brian?

BOD flirting with Super Rugby
    http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8168783,00.html
    He won't go because of tax reasons

That said if he goes to the waratahs it will be to link up with Cheika.

He won't go because of tax reasons

That said if he goes to the waratahs it will be to link up with Cheika.

What happens to his tax if he plays S15 for year then returns to see out his career with Leinster?

What happens to his tax if he plays S15 for year then returns to see out his career with Leinster?
    he would be grand as long as he comes back for a full year he would get the full rebate but to be honest I don't see it happening.

He has talked about how he wants to play Lions this year so the S15 season would be pretty much over by the time he finished. If he goes down to play S15 in 2014 and comes back to Ireland to play for 2014/15

He'd be talking about playing having to play till he is 36 and to be honest I don't see him making that comittment at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Sonny-Bill Williams' move to the Sydney Roosters to confirmed; a one-year contract

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Just reading that Quade Cooper has quit the Wallabies to pursue a switch to NRL or go overseas (also talk of following Sunny Bull into the ring :pac:)

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/australia-rugby/quade-cooper-quits-the-wallabies-report-20121119-29m36.html
    Quade Cooper has reportedly quit Australian rugby after being offered a meagre incentive-based contract.
    According to Channel Nine the former Wallabies five-eighth has turned his back on the Australian Rugby Union and the Wallabies and will look to continue his career overseas or switch to rugby league.
    Cooper has a Super Rugby contract with Queensland but that agreement is contingent upon a contract with the game’s governing body.
    The controversial playmaker has been at odds with the ARU for several months over his comment on the Wallabies set-up, including claims of a ‘toxic’’ environment under coach Robbie Deans.
    Advertisement
    Three weeks ago Cooper was hit with a $40,000 fine and a suspended playing ban in a code-of-conduct hearing into his comments.
    Reports on Monday of Cooper’s decision to leave Australian rugby behind came after he was only offered an incentive-based contract by the ARU, of the kind usually reserved for international rookies.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/australia-rugby/quade-cooper-quits-the-wallabies-report-20121119-29m36.html#ixzz2CfDRuMeM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Quade, dont let the door hit you on the way out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I know he really didn't help himself,but sometimes,especially during the World Cup,I think the hate he was getting was a bit too much.Some of the booing he got whenever he touched the ball sounded like what you'd expect at a soccer match.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Some of the booing he got whenever he touched the ball sounded like what you'd expect at a soccer match.

Agreed, Im not his biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, i actually think he acted like a bit of a grub on numerous occasions, but that just ended up getting embarrassing at the WC, sounded like something you would hear at some childrens pantomime

• Advertisement

Quade earned every bit of it. Kneeing the captain of the ABs in the head, his moronic tweets encouraging the banter. I did feel sorry for him when he got injured though.

Was surprised with Isreal Folau's debut for the Waratahs.
    Scored 2 and if he was greedy could have had a hat trick.

The Morman Mercenary could be a handy replacement Drew Mitchell on wing for Australia with the Lions tour coming up.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/israel-folau-scores-two-tries-in-rugby-union-debut-for-the-nsw-waratahs/story-fn8ouw0e-1226567391094

I see Cory Jane is out for the season, that's a shame.

I see Cory Jane is out for the season, that's a shame.

Yeah, I'm gutted. Would like the Hurricanes to do well. He is NZ's answer to Gilroy :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In the sense that Carter is your answer to Sexton :D

Juan Smith apparently forced to retire according to PR. In truth, he has been an active player in name only these last 18 months or so. A great player in his prime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's fairly sh*tty about Smith.

The Super XV kicks off this weekend with the Rebels hosting the Force and the Brumbies hosting the Reds.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's fairly sh*tty about Smith.

The Super XV kicks off this weekend with the Rebels hosting the Force and the Brumbies hosting the Reds.

Rebels v Force can probably be safely skipped, but the Reds v Brumbies could be OK. In saying that, I won't get too interested until the NZ franchises get under way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement