Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thoughts on rounds 2 and 3 gents?

I don't like the Jernigan pick. He doesn't seem to be a good fit for me and there's the drugs test thing too. Decent player don't get me wrong, I'm just unsure where he fits. Maybe it's been made with the intention of moving Ngata away from NT and out a bit wider though?

I haven't seen much of Brooks but it seems my worries about the lack of main safety players left after round one might have been misguided because of not spending much time looking at anyone outside the consensus top safety picks. Those who make a living from evaluating players seem to love him. Almost everyone on Twitter who talks draft thinks he's a cracking pick. I'll bow to them until I get a chance to watch him properly. Looks to be a good one though.

I know absolutely nothing about Crockett Gilmore (what a name!) but De Costa brought his name up and compared him to Pitta last week apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Terrence Brooks from Florida St has been drafted. Looks like he can play a few positions. Hopefully he will be a WR.

Terrence Brooks from Florida St has been drafted. Looks like he can play a few positions. Hopefully he will be a WR.

He's a pure safety mate :) Him and Elam should make a nice combination.

That's it then guys. How do you feel it went? Best player available according to the Ravens draft board all the way through as usual:

Round 1) CJ Mosley - the vast majority would likely have had him best player available on the board at the time. Cracking player who should slot in for the next decade if he remains healthy. My rating - :D

Round 2) Timmy Jernigan - first round talent but likely fell because of the drugs incident. Will compete with Williams for the right to play alongside Ngata. This move indicates to me that we'll start playing a lot more 4-3, or that Jernigan will play the NT with Ngata shifting to the DE spot. However, Jernigan is too undersized to pla NT in a 3-4 IMO. My rating - :rolleyes:

Round 3) Terrance Brooks - I was a bit worried after night one when all my top rated safety's went off the board that we'd struggle to address our biggest need. I have followed the conversation among evaluators and draft guys on Twitter etc and they all, to a man, seem to think this a great pick. Brooks clocked the fastest time of all safetys at the combine, covers a lot of ground and puts himself in good positions. The biggest knock on him seems to be his catching skills as he drops a lot of INT catches, similar to Mosley in that respect. My rating - :D

Round 3) Crockett Gilmore - Literally have no idea about this player. De Costa compares him to Pitta. 3 white tight ends on the roster now :pac:

Round 4) Brent Urban - again, not one I can really say a whole lot about from a personal viewing perspective, but similar to Brooks people seem to be saying this is a bit of steal. He's drawn "mini JJ Watt" comparisons. Joe Hortiz says he's raw, but has a lot of potential and can play across the line. Interesting pick. My rating - :cool:

Round 4) Lorenzo Taliaferro - Big bruiser who has a nice cut and is one of the best pass protecting RB's in the draft. Extremely physical guy. Decent addition to the RB corps but nothing to get too excited over for me. My rating - :)

Round 5) John Urschel - Seems like a player Kubiak will have pushed for. As good a mover as you can be at over 310 pounds, a nice run blocker and a very, very smart kid. Man's a genius. I'd love to know how he scored on the Wonderlic. A positive here is that he could also shift to center. My rating - :)

Round 6) Keith Wenning - Being honest, considering we have Flacco I'm never going to be bothered one way or another about a backup QB. I just hope he never sees the field outside of pre-season as it will mean Flacco stays fit if that's the case.

Round 7) Michael Campanaro - Will be used as a slot receiver and returner according to Ozzie. Nice value at that round, and he's also a Ravens fan. My rating - :)

Some notes from the @Ravens account:
    Eric De Costa: "This draft ended up being about substance"

Ozzie said he didn't want to reach for an OT the way their board was stacked.

Ravens loved Campanaro's pro day.

We only considered a CB in round one.

Personally, I'm happy enough with it. It hasn't blown me away or anything but it's solid. I'm very worried with the RT tackle situation though. If Wagner doesn't take a significant leap in terms of improvement then we're in trouble there. I suppose as fans we like to see needs filled I think whereas the Ravens always go best player available. It usually always works out anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I heard John Urschal on one the podcasts a month or so ago, probably College Football 24/7 and just had a look at his Wikipedia

Published a paper called "Instabilities of the Sun-Jupiter-Asteroid Three Body Problem". While some players hit strip clubs or hang around with bad influences Urschal is working on his second masters degree in maths

If he wasn't a football player he'd probably be a rocket scientist!

• Advertisement

Eric Winston is still out there at free agency for right tackle. Was rated as one of the better tackles in the league but was then cut by the Texans and both the Chiefs and Cardinals let him move on. Maybe he's declined a lot, I don't know

Long term player for Kubiak, I'd say he comes to training camp

Anyway Wagner is a Wisconsin Badger and it's a known fact that all linemen from that team are super! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Eric Winston is still out there at free agency for right tackle. Was rated as one of the better tackles in the league but was then cut by the Texans and both the Chiefs and Cardinals let him move on. Maybe he's declined a lot, I don't know

Long term player for Kubiak, I'd say he comes to training camp

Anyway Wagner is a Wisconsin Badger and it's a known fact that all linemen from that team are super! :cool:

We've got a RT that is now surplus to requirements. His name is Michael Oher, don't know if you've ever heard of him. I think you's should trade for him!

No thanks, you can keep him :p

We've got a RT that is now surplus to requirements. His name is Michael Oher, don't know if you've ever heard of him. I think you's should trade for him!

Michael "false start" Oher. The human yellow flag.

Great stuff from PFF (specifically Neil Hornsby) on our depth chart. I'd personally disagree with some of the ratings they have on our players but they're all based off their statistics so at least there's basis to it and it's handy to have the depth chart to hand. 45% of average starters based on their statistical model is not good reading for us in any case:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/14/2014-depth-chart-baltimore-ravens/

2014-depth-BAL.png
    Notes

• Ray Rice’s decline from a premier player to a roster question mark has been precipitous and somewhat accentuated by our view that he was never much more than an average pure runner on his best day. That said, he was, until recently, the NFL’s best pass-catching halfback and, while his skill has waned in that area too, we decided what’s left (together with the atrocious performance of his O-line last year) should just save him from being labelled “below average”.

• As left tackles go, Eugene Monroe is a very well-rounded player. He majors in pass protection, but is no mug in the running game either and is still improving. In the end he was a hair away from a “high quality” grade but a slightly improved 2014 should see him move into that category.

• Why, when if anything he played worse than Gino Gradkowski, have we got A.Q. Shipley rated higher? Because he’s a pure center and when forced to play guard, as he was last year, he was obviously overmatched. He did well at C for Indianapolis in 2012 and should only be viewed in that capacity.

• Both Haloti Ngata and Terrell Suggs have shown signs of age for two seasons running now. Last year we gave Suggs a pass because of his injury and Ngata due to his playing out of favorite position (he played more 5-technique in 2012). While they are still good players, Ngata’s highlight plays have become further apart and Suggs’ Pass Rushing Productivity, although still good for such a dominant run defender, is merely average when judged independently.

Roster Battles

1. Left Inside Linebacker

Most Ravens fans were happy when their team was able to select Arthur Brown in the second round of 2012, if not as a replacement to Ray Lewis, then more as logical progression. However, almost from his mistake in punt protection in Week 1 that allowed the Broncos to open the lead they would not relinquish, things never quite went to plan. He could never beat out (initially) Josh Bynes and then Jameel McClain, despite the latter playing very poorly. When C.J. Mosley was chosen with the 17th overall selection this year it left no one in doubt to the front office view. However, as we have just seen, not everything runs to a script so maybe Brown (and Bynes) will get another shot.

2. Free Safety

When used in the Ravens’ single-high defense, more often than not Matt Elam appeared out of place, but that’s what happens when you effectively have two strong safeties on the field together (as they did last year due to the pairing with James Ihedigbo). This year Elam will be used much closer to the line of scrimmage, where he looked far more comfortable, and Baltimore will need to find the man to play behind him. Draftee Terrence Brooks seems a logical choice, but that’s still a projection and maybe Anthony Levine or Omar Brown will state a case. Let’s just hope they don’t have to pair Elam with UFA, Darian Stewart or we may be in for a rerun of 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He has done a huge diservice to Flacco there, no way is he average.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Agreed. Neither is Ray Rice and I'd certainly disagree with his comment that Rice was nothing more than an average runner on his best day. Both deserving of "good" ratings IMO but based on last years play both were certainly below average helped in no part by a horrendous O-line. Monroe worthy of a high quality tag, as is Suggs and Ngata IMO.

Flacco -good
    Rice - good
    Monroe - high quality
    Suggs - high quality
    Ngata - high quality

That would be more like it for me, though I can see his point of view too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

How is he not average?

I think average is generous to some of those players.

matthew8 wrote: »
    How is he not average?

I think average is generous to some of those players.

He won a superbowl and had the best playoff run of any quarterback ever. He has been in the playoffs every year of his career bar one and never had a great offense around him. There's nothing average about him. He's in the top 10 in league, that certainly justifies a "good" status

He won a superbowl and had the best playoff run of any quarterback ever. He has been in the playoffs every year of his career bar one and never had a great offense around him. There's nothing average about him. He's in the top 10 in league, that certainly justifies a "good" status

He's shown nothing to suggest his playoff run wasn't a flash in the pan. I wouldn't have him near my top 10. He's right in the middle of the pack for me. he was awful last year.

He's shown nothing to suggest his playoff run wasn't a flash in the pan. I wouldn't have him near my top 10. He's right in the middle of the pack for me. he was awful last year.

He had **** all protection from the worst starting centre in the league, no lead receiver, a backup tight end and his running backs were frequently injured, put Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees into that team let them get sacked 48 times and you'd get the same result.
    (No I'm not comparing him to those QB's I'm just saying the best QB's in the league wouldn't succeed in the same environment)

He had **** all protection from the worst starting centre in the league, no lead receiver, a backup tight end and his running backs were frequently injured, put Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees into that team let them get sacked 48 times and you'd get the same result.

Not a chance those guys would be that bad. They certainly wouldn't throw 22 interceptions with only 19 TDs. Rodgers was sacked 51 times 2 years ago and lead the league in passer rating. Plenty of quarterbacks take sacks and deal with bad situations. Most of them don't then throw 22 interceptions. Matt Ryan's another one who had a lot to deal with this year but had an OK season.

What are your thoughts on our offensive line situation?

Zuttah, while being average, is an upgrade over Gradkowski so that's a start.

Harbaugh said a few weeks ago that Wagner is the starting RT as things stand, but Osemele did okay at RT and graded pretty highly there in his rookie season, so unless Wagner comes back after improving dramatically then I think we'll need to put him back there.

The below is likely what we're looking at for week 1:

Monroe - Osemele - Zuttah - Yanda - Wagner

I'd be tempted to go:

Monroe - LG - Zuttah - Yanda - Osemele

Maybe give Urschel a shot at that G position? Who knows how he will do, but I think it's a lot easier to get away with poor G play than poor RT play if it came to it.

LT: Monroe - Hurst
    LG : KO - Jensen
    C : Zuttah - Gradowski
    RG: Yanda - Urshal
    RT: Wagner - Hurst

9 linemen in the 53, looks reasonable to me.

I'm quite happy for them to cut Jah Reid, waste of a 3rd rounder

I really hope Hurst makes the roster and he could be a backup for 2014 with potential to start in future years :)

If they're not happy with the young right tackles then Eric Winston be picked up cheap but I'd still like to see the young players get their shot. Plus they are cheap against the cap ;)

Rodgers was sacked 51 times 2 years ago and lead the league in passer rating.

Rodgers had J.Finley, Cobb, Jordy Nelson among others.
    Flacco had T.Smith, J Jones (injured in first game), Marlon Browne and Dallas Clarke.

• Advertisement

LT: Monroe - Hurst
    LG : KO - Jensen
    C : Zuttah - Gradowski
    RG: Yanda - Urshal
    RT: Wagner - Hurst

9 linemen in the 53, looks reasonable to me.

I'm quite happy for them to cut Jah Reid, waste of a 3rd rounder

I really hope Hurst makes the roster and he could be a backup for 2014 with potential to start in future years :)

If they're not happy with the young right tackles then Eric Winston be picked up cheap but I'd still like to see the young players get their shot. Plus they are cheap against the cap ;)

Can't believe I forgot about Hurst given how much I wanted us to get him :pac:

Looks like the decision makers really liked Ebron and Ward:

http://russellstreetreport.com/did-ebron-top-the-ravens-wish-list-at-no-17/
    NFL front offices and their lead scouts spend up to 9 months creating their draft boards. Yet despite the massive amounts of hours preparing, sometimes the best-laid plans never unfold.

As Ravens Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta said prior to this year’s draft, “We try to make the draft a science but maybe it’s more of an art.”
    The Ravens have been among the NFL’s most accomplished artists when it comes to the NFL Draft. But even the best artists are guilty of clunkers.

Just ask Paul McCartney.

Sometimes teams get lucky on draft day. A desired player slips because other teams don’t value him as highly or said teams opt for need over the best player available.

Back during the 2004 NFL Draft, arguably the Ravens worst ever, their first selection was the 51st overall, having traded away their first round pick the year before to choose Kyle Boller with 2003’s 19th overall pick.

As the Ravens waited to make their first pick (Dwan Edwards), a name on the board that fell towards them piqued the collective attention of the Ravens war room. That name – Bob Sanders, safety from Iowa.

Sanders tumbled further than the Ravens expected. They looked at the teams before them and tried to anticipate who might take the Hawkeye. Hopes swelled. The consensus was that the teams just before the Ravens had needs other than safety.

However those hopes were shattered when 7 picks before them the Indianapolis Colts turned in the card for Sanders.

“Sometimes in drafts you have a guy that you really want”, explained DeCosta last night during a Q&A hosted by PressBox at Mother’s Grille in Federal Hill.

“And he starts falling down the board to you and you get close and then you don’t get him for whatever the reason. That stinks, that’s the worst part.”
    This year with the 17th overall pick the Ravens drafted higher than they have since 2006 when they chose Haloti Ngata with the 12th overall pick. As the 2014 draft unfolded the Ravens had their eye on a coveted player who started to drop.

Unfortunately déjà vu would soon kick in.

DeCosta explains.

“I think that this year maybe the one guy that I was excited about getting that we didn’t get was Eric Ebron from North Carolina the tight end. I thought he was a premier talent.

“I really thought if he had gotten out of the top ten he would have fallen to us. Looking at the other teams and this time there was a really good chance we were going to get him, and didn’t really think Detroit would take him.”

Detroit had just re-signed Brandon Pettigrew and their big, promising undrafted free agent tight end from UCLA, Joseph Fauria. The Lions’ and head coach Jim Caldwell’s call for Ebron was an upset.

“I thought we had a chance to really get him that was kind of frustrating for us. I thought he was an elite player. I think he has a chance to be a difference maker, Pro Bowl type guy.”

One of the positions the Ravens targeted in the draft was free safety. The Ravens had a target in Round 2 with the 48th pick but the plan was undercut by Jim Harbaugh and the San Francisco 49ers.

“I really liked safety Jimmy Ward probably a little undersized but reminded me somewhat of Ed Reed in terms of style. He’s a great player and one that I thought would be there in the second round.”

Woulda, shoulda, coulda…

Those unexpected twists and turns of fate during an NFL Draft that can change lives, careers and even a city’s football heritage.
    Just ask the sports fans in Boston.

Message board favourite Matt Furstenburg has been cut :(

Replaced by Philip Supernaw from the Texans practice squad.

Turning into Houston East here!

Happened a few days ago but I only read it today and I know fans were looking for Furstenburg to push himself onto the 53.

6' 5" 250lbs he doesn't have exceptional size but is supposed to be a good blocker which I suppose Kubiak wants

Another arrest :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10990573/lorenzo-taliaferro-baltimore-ravens-charged-being-drunk-public-destruction-property
    Rookie running back Lorenzo Taliaferro became the fourth Baltimore Ravens player to get arrested this year when he was charged with being drunk in public and destruction of property early Saturday morning in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Police told the Virginia Gazette that Taliaferro was charged with breaking a window in a taxi cab that was located a block away from the incident after leaving the scene. Both charges are misdemeanors.

A team source said Taliaferro has admitted to breaking the window accidentally and paid to repair it.

This incident occurred two weeks after the Ravens selected Taliaferro in the fourth round of the NFL draft. He is expected to be the team's No. 3 running back this season and was drafted as insurance in case Ray Rice was suspended for his off-the-field issue.

Taliaferro produced 1,729 yards and 27 touchdowns last season at Coastal Carolina. The Ravens haven't commented publicly on Taliaferro's arrest.

He becomes the latest Ravens player to be arrested, joining Rice, wide receiver Deonte Thompson and offensive lineman Jah Reid. Only Reid's legal issue remains unresolved. His misdemeanor battery case is set for June 4.

What the **** is going on? A week after getting the rookie talk about not being a twat, he goes and does this.

Gob****e ^^^

The team have Justin Forsett so that young draftee is not even guranteed to make the team. That would be an almighty waste of a 4th rounder though and there was lots of talent still there in the 4th.

As for Jah Reid he battered a man in a bar fight and hit him while he was on the ground. The guy is 6'7" and 335lbs and would win most any bar fight. His lawyer is good if he got that to a misdemeanour. It looked like jail time when I read the article on what he did.

Gob****e ^^^

The team have Justin Forsett so that young draftee is not even guranteed to make the team. That would be an almighty waste of a 4th rounder though and there was lots of talent still there in the 4th.

As for Jah Reid he battered a man in a bar fight and hit him while he was on the ground. The guy is 6'7" and 335lbs and would win most any bar fight. His lawyer is good if he got that to a misdemeanour. It looked like jail time when I read the article on what he did.

I'm thinking Ozzie and Biscotti are going to have to make an example of someone soon.

I find it difficult to see them cutting Taliaferro as they seem to rate him highly, Rice will be getting a suspension and a 4th rounder is probably just a bit too high of a pick to cut straight away especially as we're arguably the best team for sticking with draftees (though this is often a bad thing too).

Put it this way, I reckon the next low round draft pick or someone on the roster bubble that gets arrested might as well pack their bags as soon as they leave the police station :pac:

Ryan Jensen suffered a broken foot last season but they still kept him on the 53 rather then cut him and stash him on the practice squad in case he got swooped up by another team

A few weeks back I thought Wagner would be the leader for starting RT as they enter training camp. The coaches seems super high on Jensen and he'll get a chance to win the job.

Great to see this competition and I hope a young player wins it rather bringing in a vet like they did with Bobbie Williams or Andre Gurode over recent years

6' 4" 318lbs, he'll get a shot

Jensen-Ravens-2.jpg

This battle to be the 3rd corner which is an extremely important position is the other main talking point

Chykie Brown has some flashes but not the most consistent but is promising. Excellent special teamer too

26_ChykieBrown_news.jpg

Asa Jackson must be loved by the coaches as on plenty of teams he'd be cut by now. Served a 4 game ban in 2012 and got an 8 game ban in 2013 :rolleyes:

11_Jackson_news.jpg

Interesting read on Kubiak's offense:

http://ravensfootballmachine.com/site/what-makes-kubiaks-new-offense-for-ravens-unique.html
    The Ravens spent most of Week 2 of OTA’s installing new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak’s system. Joe Flacco seems excited and optimistic about the new system.

If you are wondering what makes Kubiak’s offense so unique, yet also wondering how it failed in Houston last year, you are not alone.

I went to an NFL.com/NFL Films source, the TV and blog analyst Greg Cosell, to try to pin down the basic features of Kubiak’s system which make it unique. I also looked up a resource called Zone Reads to find out what went horribly wrong with it at Houston last year.

First up is Greg Cosell:

“What he’s been going back to his Denver days and his Houston days, it’s a zone -run game and a play-action pass game that works off the zone-run game,” said NFL Films’ analyst Greg Cosell. “When he was in Houston, I remember we researched it, his teams were among the best teams in the league at first-down passing because of their zone running game. It was run-action, as opposed to play-action. They were a very good run-action team on first-and-10. That’s what he’s been.”

That means basically a lot of play-action passes and bootlegs, stretch runs, and a zone-blocking scheme.

Kubiak has said everything will start with the Ravens being “physical” at every position, acknowledged that running the football will “make the rest of it go” and talked about making sure that Flacco is comfortable within the revamped offense.

As local Sunpapers’ beat writers Jeff Zrebec and Aaron Wilson have also pointed out, Kubiak, whose first coaching job in the NFL was as the quarterbacks coach of the San Francisco 49ers in 1994, “has historically employed concepts from the West Coast passing game, relying heavily on the run to set up the pass, frequently using play-action and bootlegs while getting tight ends involved.”

“There’s a lot of deception with the offense,” former Texans offensive guard Eric Winston said. “There’s so many different ways of doing the same thing so the defense can’t get a bead on it. There’s screens off of every run. There are so many choices. It’s a system where you can be successful.”

So what went wrong in Houston last season? What is the flip side of a Kubiak offense when it goes south?

We take a time-travel journey back to some dark times in Houston with Zone Reads to find the dark side of Kubiak’s offense:

“A 23-20 overtime loss to Seattle was a microcosm of Gary Kubiak’s tenure in Houston: a mostly-well-executed bread-and-butter game combined with a failure to turn opportunities into points and a fatal predictability on offense that sabotaged the team in the most important moments of the game. It’s a pattern that’s been with Kubiak’s teams since he arrived in Houston in 2006. Through good times and bad times, you can always count on a solid zone-running game paired with an undermanned passing offense and passive decision-making that combines poor clock management, predictable play-calling, and the famed “two-yard pass on third-and-five” to create a team that scores far fewer points than it should and never really competes with the best teams.”

Hmmmm… run that by me again? Haven’t we heard similar-sounding complaints about Cam Cameron and Brian Billick in the past.

Zone Reads continues:
    “Gary Kubiak’s weaknesses are holding this team back. This is what I see those weaknesses as being:
    “An extremely uncreative, vanilla offensive gameplan, with no new wrinkles or matchup-specific designs. If you’re a Texans fan, it must be infuriating watching teams like Jim Harbaugh’s 49ers installing a read-option package for Colin Kaepernick, then holding back on unleashing it until the playoffs, or watching Bill Belichick’s staff make chicken salad out of chicken crap every year with whatever receiving talent they find hanging around the facility. Good coaches make the most out of their talent and find ways to exploit matchups. Kubiak does neither. He has his zone run and his small package of play-action passes, and he doesn’t have a plan B. That’s what he runs against every single team, and if it isn’t working, he’s a deer in the headlights. He’s not helped by the team’s apparent refusal to bring in weapons in the passing game, seemingly depending on Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels exclusively since 2006. The NFL is an offensive, passing league nowadays; you can’t be a top team with one quality wide receiver. Drafting DeAndre Hopkins was a huge step in the right direction, but this team is still woefully undermanned in the passing game.”

“An inability to close out games. This ties into the first point. I’m convinced that if Gary Kubiak gets a lead– any lead– in the second half, his offensive game plan reverts to “shut down and run out the clock”. Doesn’t matter if it’s 13-10 with 12 minutes left in the third quarter. Kubiak plays to hang on, not to win. Even if this were a viable strategy, it’s hampered by that vanilla offense, because defenses always know what’s coming, and they know how to stop it and get the ball back. (Granted, they’re helped by the fact that Kubiak calls plays with a seeming indifference as to whether or not those plays have a chance to extend the current drive.) Witness yesterday: The Texans didn’t score a single point after halftime.”

“A seeming failure to understand that points win games, and that giving up opportunities to score points is giving up opportunities to win. The Texans are consistently one of the most under-performing red-zone teams in the league, particularly when compared to how the offense performs the rest of the time. Part of that is the same predictability that haunts the offensive play-calling. Part of that is occasional play-calling that makes no sense. (Why has Kubiak refused to use Andre Johnson in the red zone for so long, but is now doing things like throwing short crossing routes to Keshawn Martin?) In addition to the play-calling, Kubiak routinely mismanages the clock in the end-of-half/end-of-game situations, always taking the “safer” play. I’m convinced his optimal two-minute drill is “three kneels and take it into the locker room”. You combine these factors and it’s no wonder the Texans always seem to score fewer points than their talent and performance in between the 20s should indicate. Even yesterday is another great example: They ran 88 plays to Seattle’ 58, outgained the Seahawks 476-270, and still managed to lose.”

Well, I didn’t say the dark side would be pretty. But Ravens fans need to know there is the good, the bad and the ugly in every new offensive system. Kubiak’s biggest obstacle in Baltimore will be to overcome some of his own past tendencies and make the Ravens experience a fresh and less predictable version of his previous body of work.

Jimmy Smith arrested now.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-cornerback-jimmy-smith-arrested-charged-with-misdemeanor-disorderly-conduct-20140712,0,5078221.story
    Ravens starting cornerback Jimmy Smith was arrested and charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct Saturday night after an alleged incident at The Greene Turtle in Towson, according to Baltimore County police.

Police said Smith, 25, was cited for failure to obey a lawful order of a police officer.

Ravens team officials are aware of the incident involving Smith.

"We're gathering information about this," Ravens senior vice president of public and community relations Kevin Byrne said.

Officers went to The Greene Turtle on York Road after they were informed by the general manager of the restaurant that there was an unconscious woman in a bathroom at the Towson restaurant and bar, according to police.

Upon their arrival, police said, they saw Smith in the bathroom with the woman. The woman was intoxicated, according to police. Police said that the NFL player was assisting her when she vomited while leaning over a sink.

Smith told police that he and the woman had done a photo shoot together earlier in the evening, according to a police report.

Police said that after medics arrived, officers repeatedly asked Smith to step aside and he allegedly refused to comply and said several times that he was helping the woman. Police said Smith became argumentative when they asked him to step into the hallway.

According to the police report, Smith was told that because he wasn't related to the woman and wasn't helping her that he needed to leave so that medical personnel could attend to her and Smith replied: "I am helping her."

According to the police report, Smith was asked three times by an officer to leave the restroom before being ushered out to the hallway. Smith allegedly cursed at the arresting officer and asked him "What the [expletive] are you gonna do?" When told again to leave, Smith replied: [Expletive] you. What the [expletive] are you gonna do?"

Smith was then placed in handcuffs. While at the Towson precinct, according to the police report, Smith told the officer: "The only reason you arrested me is so you could get on the news."

According to the police report, the officer informed Smith that he wasn't aware of who he was and that wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome of the incident.

Smith then said, according to the report, "You will see this [Sunday] on ESPN."

After Smith was arrested, Baltimore County police said, he was cooperative with officers at the precinct.

Smith was released from custody from the Towson police precinct at about 11:15 p.m. after being issued a citation; a court date is pending. The woman was transported to a local hospital, according to police.

This marks the fifth arrest of a Ravens player this offseason.

That includes the following cases: running back Ray Rice (felony aggravated assault, Atlantic City, N.J., accepted into pretrial diversion program), offensive lineman Jah Reid (misdemeanor battery, Key West, Fla., accepted into pretrial diversion program), wide receiver Deonte Thompson (felony possession of marijuana, Gainesville, Fla., case dismissed) and rookie running back Lorenzo Taliaferro (misdemeanor destruction of property, drunk and disorderly, Williamsburg, Va., case pending with July 31 court date).

Smith, a 2011 first-round draft pick from Colorado, hadn't previously been in trouble with the law since joining the Ravens.

When Smith entered the NFL, though, he faced scrutiny about his character because of a history of off-field problems. During his time as an underclassman at Colorado, Smith reportedly failed at least one drug test.

He was also cited for third-degree assault and underage drinking violations.
    Smith is entering his fourth NFL season and is regarded as one of the top young defensive players on the roster.

The 6-foot-2, 209-pound California native had 58 tackles, two interceptions and a career-high 15 pass deflections last season. In three NFL seasons, Smith has 112 career tackles, 26 pass deflections and four interceptions.
    The Ravens have said they eventually want to sign Smith to a long-term contract extension.

The Ravens exercised a fifth-year option for 2015 for Smith this offseason, meaning he's due a $6.898 million base salary that year. The salary becomes fully guaranteed if he's on the roster the first day of the 2015 league year.
    Smith's original four-year rookie contract included a $3.926 million signing bonus. He's due a $1.392 million base salary this year.

• Advertisement

Who would have thought the Bengals would the best behaved franchise in the AFC North :/

This sounds like no big deal but these incidents are stacking up & up :mad:

Rice suspended two games (Bengals and Steelers at home). Got off lightly with that one. Thankfully he wasn't caught smoking weed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Paully D wrote: »
    Rice suspended two games (Bengals and Steelers at home). Got off lightly with that one. Thankfully he wasn't caught smoking weed. :pac:

or selling autographs !!

2 games for beating a woman unconscious, the league doing itself no favors IMO. Would not be surprised to see that increased.

The team have great depth on the D line and it probably was likely that Brent Urban was going to be stashed away for a year.

Well the 4th rounder will definitely hit IR now. Tore his ACL and is done for the year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

The team have great depth on the D line and it probably was likely that Brent Urban was going to be stashed away for a year.

Well the 4th rounder will definitely hit IR now. Tore his ACL and is done for the year :(

Reports from camp were good about him but as you said there is great depth at that position this year! A deep rotation is what seems to work wonders up front nowadays

We said the main position battles was 3rd cornerback and right tackle and so it continues

Going by reports Ricky Wagner is doing a great job at right tackle and it's his job to lose.

They tried Ryan Jensen at right tackle but moved him back to guard. He seems to be a mean nasty mauler type like Yanda, fans will approve!! :) Jensen has mauled Kapron Lewis Moore to the ground twice in camp

Asa Jackson is doing a solid job and looks likely to win the 3rd cornerback slot.
    Chykie Brown got thrown out of practice by Harbaugh for kicking the ball off the field after dropping an interception. He came back and started a row with Steve Smith. :rolleyes: Frustration showing I guess

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Oher has been doing ok at RT for us in camp.. I expect him to start the season but for Lewan to take the starting job from him

Brett Urban injured for the year
    And now Kapron Lewis-Moore has a torn achilles

Chris Canty is the only recognised defensive end on the depth chart. Sure Ngata can slide over and so can Deangelo Tyson but most teams have lots of linemen they can rotate throughout the game

Ozzie will have to find a free agent or two somewhere, maybe when other teams start cuts

The list stolen from another forum

cut
    Austin Spitler
    Nick DiMarco
    Omar Brown
    David Mims
    Deji Olatoye
    Marrio Norman
    Cierre Wood
    Richie Leone
    LaQuan Williams
    Mike Willie

Injury Waived
    Brett Van Sloten
    Shaun Chapas

IR'd
    Brent Urban
    Kapron Lewis-Moore
    Will Rackley

No big surprises. Laquan Williams had no shot as the team actually has talent at wide receiver for once. He will probably get a call from a team wanting WR depth and a good special teamer. Browns maybe?

Fan favourite Omar Brown never makes the team because he's not a good special teamer. After 3 training camps that's most likely his time in Baltimore over.

That's 90 down to 75 so cuts complete for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

So cornerback Derek Cox has been brought in after being released by the Vikings.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

Webb just restructured his contract to clear some cap room! I wonder is there something in the works? Maybe an extension for Torrey or Jimmy or even Tucker?

• Advertisement

Jimmy Smith like all 1st round rookies signed a 4 year deal with an option for a 5th year. The team picked up that option in the offseason and Jimmy won't be seeing a big payday this year

You're right, the team need to start working on a deal with Torrey

Ray Lewis statue unveiled:

BwsrkZICQAEmX7U.jpg:large

What do we all think for the opener at home to Cincinnati then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ignoring everything else, that is a pretty cool statue

Derek cox, any use?

Cox is the #5 corner and can work his way to #4

The Ravens top three corners all had various injury issues over pre season and while they willplay Week 1 it's possible Cox will play a lot this season but hopefully not

He was cut, some rumours the titans are interested as we don't have much at corner since verner left

Hmmm, I see. I missed that move

It's easily explained. He's a vet and if he is the on the roster for Week 1 his salary is guaranteed for the year. They promoted a running back from the practise squad and he'll be cut in when Rice returns. Then I guess the Ravens will try to sign Cox again

For info on Cox I suggest going to the Chargers forum. They seem to hate him though

It's funny reading back over this thread and seeing how frustrated 99% of us were the 2012/2013 offseason. Lots of players left, so many injuries, and some deals we weren't happy with. Yet, we ended up Super Bowl champions :pac:

Really looking forward to it all starting again this evening. Home opener against a divisional rival. M&T should be rocking.

So footage has emerged of Ray Rice punching his wife in the face and knocking her out. Can the team do anything about this? I can't support that man anymore. I hope he's locked up.

From a game point of view, it was a disappointing game. The offence couldn't catcha cold let alone the ball. Pitta did ok. Forsett looks the real deal thankfully. Flacco made some awful errors. Defense seemed ok bar the blown coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ravens have released Rice. Only option after the new footage was released.

• Advertisement
Advertisement