Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any comments on these double glazing suppliers?

Options
  • 20-03-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi there:
    I am currently getting a few quotes for the installation of 5 double-glazed windows. Current quotes are coming in at around 3700. Sound fair?

Also- any good or bad experiences with the following suppliers?
    Artane Windows, Fairco, Horizon Windows, Bonner Windows?
    Or Alternatively, any good recommendations for Dublin city North?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sexylou138

:confused: Looking For Some Quote's Aswell, I Don't Think Well Getting any-reply..:( Just started looking for a site that has any review's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

can't help with quotes as such, but i just (yesterday!) got lovely new french doors put in by horizon. toughened glass (its like an inch thick literally!) very very solid but €2400 :eek: still tbh couldnt be happier with the quality, plus they had to come out four times in total: estimate, deliver door, install door and collect old door/rubbish and they came at the specified time (when it was convenient) to the dot, no waiting round. i rang four different places to get quotes, was promised people would call back and arrange a time but surpirse surprise only two people got back to me at all, and one of those just told me to go and visit their showroom first. sorry i can't give you any idea of prices for windows - just be thankful you're not getting french doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

mullmick wrote:
    Hi there:

Or Alternatively, any good recommendations for Dublin city North?

Many thanks in advance

Try Munster Joinery http://www.munsterjoinery.ie/ most buliders (in Dublin) use this company and a lot of self build is through them also.

I dont recommend Senator Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Lawdie wrote:
    Try Munster Joinery http://www.munsterjoinery.ie/ most buliders (in Dublin) use this company and a lot of self build is through them also.

I second the don't go near Senator Windows comment. experienced late delivery, rudeness and shoddy installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

can certainly recommend munster joinery for windows in ballydesmond
    only thing the french doors i got from them could be a bit more durable
    if ordering have a look at them first!!!

all in all very satisfied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

De_man wrote:

all in all very satisfied

Price wise they would be the most economical I know of.
    On quality just like cormac said, I paid heavy and got shoddy quality.
    I'm not going to tell you how much I gave those other B's. Lets just say it was my worst ever purchase decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try Royal Windows, Estuary Business Park, Lissenhall, Swords, Co Dublin. Tel: 8404481 Email: sales@royalwindows.ie.

I used them for my gaff & they are very reasonable. Only manufacture - don't install. However, they can recommend someone to install them for you. They guy I got was top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

Hi there.
    Just to let you know, we went with Fairco for our windows.
    For five double glazed windows- 4 upstairs, and livingroom, they came in around 3.9k- this was a 35% discount on what they "said" their original quote was... as with any supplier i am guessing that there is usually room for negotiation on the price.

On delivery, I couldnt have been happier. They came when they said, installed all the windows in one day.. left the house clean... although they werent the cheapest quote we received I am glad we went with them- no problems throughout any element of the (v easy) process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Mullmick - I'm in the same boat as you. I'm in Beaumont Dublin 9 and looking to have 4 windows in the front of my house replaced. What swung it for you when choosing Fairco? Did you check out Artane and Bonner windows...what did you think? Couple other questions if you don't mind:

- Did the cost from Fairco include fitting?
    - What were the guarantees like and what's covered i.e. frame, glass, condensation between glass panes, etc
    - What did you do with your old windows - did they take them away?

Thanks and good luck with your purchase.

Ciaran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭bigears

Ciaran,

Who did you decide to go with in the end and what influenced your decision?

Does anyone else have experience with the companies quoted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

I went with a company called Wright window systems in Mullingar (www.wws.ie). Paid 2750 for 3 upstairs (4ft x 4ft) and 1 bay window (approx 2 x 10 x 2 ft). They were the cheapest and got them installed in late August. Everything was grand until about a month ago after a very heavy shower of rain I noticed a damp patch inside underneath the bay window. Looks like it's letting in water somewhere. I've been on to them a few times and I've been told that they will be calling me soon with a date that they will come and repair it...I think they're going to have to replace part of it. So was happy initially but now I'm not so sure...let's see if they fix it properly.

Ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Had three quotes for 11 windows, some of the windows are massive. Fairco were top end (but they do have top quality), Wright were ok, still waiting to hear final price, Bonner were best though they're slow to quote.

Between Bonner and Wright at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Yoiks ! So much uncertainty for what is nowadays a pretty expensive project.

Our 50 year old steel windows need replacing. It is a standard three bed semi. Honestly, I hate the uPVC white plastic stuff in appearance and the fact that our bay windows are narrow so they can't put in fire windows without spoiling the building's lines.

I have noticed a few replacement jobs done in wood by Carlson windows. They look quite elegant with relatively clean lines and they open 90 degrees unlike some of the UPVC jobs.

Anyone know anything about Carlson ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aslo

I recently had new windows & doors supplied and fitted by Donnellon Windows. I would def recommend them. I'm delighted with my new purchase. They were not the cheapest but not the dearest. I think I got a fair price. Fantastic job,no mess,no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Had three quotes for 11 windows, some of the windows are massive. Fairco were top end (but they do have top quality), Wright were ok, still waiting to hear final price, Bonner were best though they're slow to quote.

Between Bonner and Wright at the moment.

Went with Wright Windows, as Bonner refused to go to the Southside in the end. Reasonably happy with job. They were by far the cheapest (though did order in Feb - always order when they're mad quiet). Cracked a pane when putting in one window, but did fix it in a couple of weeks.

Were willing to clean up any scuff marks, replace any marked handles - small things that make the difference.

Not the best product/service imaginable, but good and coupled with the low price - overall I'm happy.

(Someone tried to break in to the back of the house 3 days after the install, skobies watching the house. They opened the PVC window without breaking it or hardly scratching it - google the report the PSNI did on PVC windows - they are inherently unsafe. Cops came and said "ah yea, PVC windows, they're all the same".

Beware of PVC windows from any supplier - material is not strong enough to take secondary locks like wood, and it's a relatively weak material in itself. And always get your alarm fitted the next day after install).;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I used Regency windows last year, wood effect upvc. I can't complain of their workmanship,they did an excellent install,cleaned up and took all the crap away. They were expensive,but what swung it for me was the attention to detail, ie, they turned up to quote and brought samples with them, unlike some I asked, including that guy from above who said go to the showroom. unfortunatly I ordered around August, which is holiday time for them so had to wait a while.I had a problem with a window and the hall door a few months later and they came out within 30 minutes of me calling, supposed to call back to fix the window lock but haven't as yet.All in all I'm pleased with windows, they look great, do what they are supposed to,keep noise out and warmth in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭bigears

I went with Bonner in the end for two reasons - they were substantially cheaper than the other quotes I got and they were able to fit in with my preferred dates. I was happy with the work but they're only in 3 months so it's still early days. So far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Marlar

Has anyone any experience of Doleta Windows in Kilkenny? We got a quote from them for Alu-Clad. Quotes provided for both double and triple glazing and they seem very competitive. Its worrying me that I cant find anything about them.... good or bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nealrythere

Anyone ever have any dealings with S&S Windows in Dublin? Looking to replace 4 aluminium windows and received a quote of 2,500 supply and fit. Seems quite reasonable, but as we don't know anything about windows, wondering if it's a little too reasonable!
    We also got another quote for NorDan windows which came to nearly 8,000?
    Are there other Timber framed window that don't cost that much?

Can anyone recommend reputable company who won't see dollar signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nealrythere

The 2500 quote was for uPVC windows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sorry for picking out this old thread ,but I'm finding it hard to locate imformation on glazing companies.

Can anyone recommend a company in Dublin that would install large sliding doors ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

I am getting some french doors from Rationel. They also do sliding doors which look very good. I have found them very helpful and cost-wise extremely competitive (I am going alu-clad, but they do timber as well).

Have two other friends with timber Rationel doors and windows and they are very happy - years on.

Thanks Katzi ,I've only rang bonner windows so far . I'll give rationel a try:)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I got a very good quote from senator and after shopping around fully went with them, very happy with the windows and install overall, I'm based in waterford though and just wanted to post my experience with them as I see some other had some negative feedback

I definetly wouldn't ring senator ,they seem so big a company that it's very hit and miss who actually does the installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Service uPVC, Glasnevin Industrial Estate.

Had half the house done 4 or 5 years ago, got the other half and the doors done this year and am totally happy with them.
    No problems, very good after-sales service for hinges and keys and stuff.
    Competitive prices, too.

I can highly recommend them.

Thanks rancid ,sounds promising:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rughead

Joining this one a bit late but for what it is worth DO NOT go near Wright windows. From my whole self build of a 3000 square foot house they were the worst people we had the misfortune to come across. My house was finished last summer and we are still trying to get some of our windows sorted. From the windows being 3-4 months late and eventually when they started fitting them they left some of the damp proof haging on the inside of the windows and we still have a window about 2" off square and was only noticed until after our kitchen and a granite window sill went in so not much hope of them fixing that. Best of luck finding some one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 West 1

Hey, has anyone heard of a company in Perhshire (Scotland) who supply direct from Norway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

am looking at putting in a patio / double-glazed door in cork - any suggestions......

Advertisement