Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But the Audi wasn't undertaking. It had in fact been overtaken by the faster camera car and continued on at the same speed in the centre lane.

That's exactly what he did as you described, but he was undertaking.
    If you don't agree, that pretty much means that you don't understand what undertaking is.
    He moved to centre lane to allow camera car to overtake, but what he didn't notice was that Sharan was ahead on 3rd lane, and was going slower.
    So Audi driver by keeping driving at the same pace on middle lane, was coming closer and closer to Sharan, and eventually started undertaking him.

In other words - from Sharan driver point of view. He could have looked in his mirror earlier, and saw no other vehicles on his right. So he assumed that he could change lane to right, and so he did.
    He possibly loooked in the mirror to early before changing lanes, and didn't check it in the last moment, but that's my whole point - he couldn't really expect Audi driver to undertake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

OR... you could argue that the Sharan caused the entire thing as it was in the wrong lane to begin with, and moved over without looking - but if it HAD been in the correct centre lane all along, the camera car could have overtaken without slowing down (and thus the Audi catching up), and the Audi could have moved back behind the camera car in good time to overtake as well.

This is why insurance claims are such fun - both sides have elements of truth :(
    Yeah we're pretty much saying the same thing, except that you think the Audi was blameless. The Audi driver should have seen the situation developing in front of him and taken the appropriate action: slowing down. There was a huge lack of situational awareness on the part of the Audi driver.

Agreed that the Sharan driver was a dick and shouldn't have been there in the first place. Little comfort if the Audi driver had lost control and caused death as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

OR... you could argue that the Sharan caused the entire thing as it was in the wrong lane to begin with, and moved over without looking - but if it HAD been in the correct centre lane all along, the camera car could have overtaken without slowing down (and thus the Audi catching up), and the Audi could have moved back behind the camera car in good time to overtake as well.

This is why insurance claims are such fun - both sides have elements of truth :(

Well there is a grade of offences.
    Surely occupying wrong lane on motorway (like Sharan did) is not as severe offence as undertaking on the motorway.

When driving on German autobahn, you would reasonably expect someone will forget to pull right straight away, and will hog overtaking lane for a while.
    You wouldn't expect though someone undertaking, and that's what Sharan driver got caught with. He didn't expect Audi driver to undertake, and that's why he didn't check his mirrors or blind spots properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

But the Audi wasn't undertaking. It had in fact been overtaken by the faster camera car and continued on at the same speed in the centre lane.

The Sharan pulled in on top of him at the last minute but it should have been in the centre lane all along.

What you're saying is the Audi should have immediately pulled back out behind the camera car, but there was a several second gap between the camera car overtaking the Audi and coming up on the Sharan. We can't see what the Audi driver saw at that point depending on how far back it was.

Still reckon the Sharan 100% at fault for being in the wrong lane, and then almost causing an accident when it pulled over without checking mirrors

This is what happens when ghobsh1tes meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

ardle1 wrote: »
    I can clearly see in the second video he was doing his best to get in front of you and into that lane rather than take on the coach at the slip road, he does indicate and actually looks at you for a bit of understanding, was he trying to head North(looks like yellow plate)anyway you weren't letting him in!? I think I would have flashed him on in, maybe that's just me!

From my perspective I didn't see him look out the window, the dashcam being up again'st the window and being wide angle picked up on it alright. What I did observe was the indicator so I held back having a feeling he wanted to go right and opened the gap for him to change lane but didn't expect him to do so at the last second. At the point where the Audi put on the indicator the road turns hard right and I personally wouldn't attempt to go right from the inside lane at that point especially in slippery conditions as seen from the first video. If you watch to the end of the second video you will see that I also gave a Merc a chance to change lane in front of me but he couldn't make up his mind either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Any chance of adding Audi and Sharan to the roundabout list?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

i dont know who got a bigger fright him or me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

i dont know who got a bigger fright him or me

Good two step from yer man though, if it wasn't for his white runners, he's impossible to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Action starts after 1:20.

And ends at 1:50... unless you speak the lingo (Ruski I'd guess) and even then I doubt if that makes it much more exciting...

I want 4:30 of my life back!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Learner driver here so bear with me...

Installed a dashcam and this was the first footage that I got from it literally 5 minutes out the door.

So I'm approaching a T-junction with a yield sign for me and this guy sees me and just stops and waves me on to go ahead. Strange so I proceed anyway and just as I begin to move so does he. Not sure am I missing something or what was his intention?

Looks like he was signalling to someone else, was there anyone to your right (unseen by the camera) at the junction?
    He doesn't appear to be even looking at you...

Looks like he was signalling to someone else, was there anyone to your right (unseen by the camera) at the junction?

Woman walking on the footpath to the right, but she continued on and after the incident he left the village.

In reality he was really waving to me, it's not as clear in the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Pov06 wrote: »
    Learner driver here so bear with me...

Installed a dashcam and this was the first footage that I got from it literally 5 minutes out the door.

So I'm approaching a T-junction with a yield sign for me and this guy sees me and just stops and waves me on to go ahead. Strange so I proceed anyway and just as I begin to move so does he. Not sure am I missing something or what was his intention?

Looks like he was hoping you'd drive out in front of him, For "some reason".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

When i first read this I taught scammer to myself. A silly move for him to stop in the middle of a main road, busy or not. There's a time and a place for courtesy but not when you put other road users at risk. It did appear for a second that he was gesturing at you to move off. The best thing you can do is stick to the ROTR and wave on idiot's like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

On my first viewing it looked like he was asking for directions. Anyone else?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hal1 wrote: »
    The best thing you can do is stick to the ROTR and wave on idiot's like that.

Owing to one or two similar incidents I now do. Which is a shame when some people are genuinely trying to be nice.

ken wrote: »
    On my first viewing it looked like he was asking for directions. Anyone else?.
    That's what I thought as well, as I asked the OP was there someone else out of shot that he may have called to. he looked like he was already stopping before the OP arrived at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Tourist in a rental car perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Learner driver here...this guy sees me and just stops and waves me on to go ahead. Strange so I proceed anyway and just as I begin to move so does he. Not sure am I missing something or what was his intention?
    So learner driver - lesson #1 Don't let others "drive" for you... ignore his instruction - make up your own mind.
    what was his intention
    You and I and all the other folks here are guessing at what his intention was but one thing is for sure - stopping where he did is not very clever - so taking instruction from someone who can't or at least doesn't drive correctly is a bad idea...
    ...The best thing you can do is stick to the ROTR...
    Great advice - don't take any direction from him - treat him as a "dangerous unpredictable hazard" and proceed with extreme caution...
    ...and wave on idiot's like that.
    Bad advice - don't go around instructing others how to drive... AFAIK - doing that during your test would be at least a major fault if not an instant fail!
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    ...Which is a shame when some people are genuinely trying to be nice.
    Have to say that I don't encourage other road users "to be nice". I encourage others to be predictable. So when they have right of way, they take right of way unless by doing so they would impede the flow of traffic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Don't know if this was the BMW drivers plan but I'm hearing about a lot of this lately where drivers who have the right of way are waving a car out, as the car pulls out they drive into them and you don't stand a chance on who's to blame.
    I know of it happening several times around South Dublin alone.

Probably not what was going on here but be warned. And as above stick to the ROTR.

jimbis wrote: »
    Don't know if this was the BMW drivers plan but I'm hearing about a lot of this lately where drivers who have the right of way are waving a car out, as the car pulls out they drive into them and you don't stand a chance on who's to blame.
    I know of it happening several times around South Dublin alone.

Probably not what was going on here but be warned. And as above stick to the ROTR.

That's exactly the reason why I have the dashcam installed. I'm 19 and I just paid for car insurance (1.7k) and I couldn't afford to pay the higher premium if something like that DID happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Excuse the shake. The standard mount for my dash cam was tilted too far down for the windshield on my truck. Watch the taxi merging from the left. I let the video run on so you could see the problems I have trying to make progress in lanes of traffic when people like the guy in the Mercedes SUV and the cream coloured dual way bus hold the centre lane and plod along the road.

http://youtu.be/sYg2IxJHnfU There's the link in case the video doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Excuse the shake. Watch the taxi merging from the left. I let the video run on so you could see the problems I have trying to make progress in lanes of traffic when people like the guy in the Mercedes SUV and the cream coloured dual way bus hold the centre lane and plod along the road.

I'd send that video to Dualway, and point out that there's no reason for their drivers to be hanging around in the middle lane for no apparent reason.

The plate number on that taxi is clear enough, you could send it on to the taxi regulator as well if you felt that way inclined.

Now I'm off to be sea-sick from all the shaking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

look left at the very start, you will see a red car in the left most lane, you will also see a car coming towards him,
    this is a one way road, I am assuming this person does this every day.

why cant they wait to merge

not so smart, smart.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Very Good.. Not so smart Smart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Probably NSFW very loud at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Probably NSFW very loud at the end.

Jeez that yoke was slow, probably an aul Lada or something. What a dolt though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seriously stupid trying to overtake that much and esp so slowly, you could tell at the start it just wasn't going to happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement