Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

moxin wrote: »
    No. 1 rule of the road, always give way to the boss.

;)

Well, sometimes impossible, no matter how much you want, when "the boss" is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Taxi No.1 hogs the overtaking lane so taxi No.2 drives right up his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Taxi No.1 hogs the overtaking lane so taxi No.2 drives right up his arse.

One way to deal with idiotic lane hoggers alright:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Which of ye was worse?
    He was. I had a brand new pair of tyres, new discs and pads all round, car recently serviced along with a t/belt and water pump. In other words in good safe condition to do that speed on an empty motorway in sunny weather.
    The other driver felt the need to drive within a cars length of my back bumper at motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

pablo128 wrote: »
    He was. I had a brand new pair of tyres, new discs and pads all round, car recently serviced along with a t/belt and water pump. In other words in good safe condition to do that speed on an empty motorway in sunny weather.
    The other driver felt the need to drive within a cars length of my back bumper at motorway speeds.

You were both idiots driving at that speed. Plenty of statistics thought like you do.

• Advertisement

You were both idiots driving at that speed. Plenty of statistics thought like you do.
    Actually you're right. Speed kills. Whatever was I thinking.:rolleyes:

Nah, tools that think they are bulletproof kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Doing that speed with someone up your arse kills, if you had to slam on for any reason both of you could be gone. He'd be in the wrong but that's not much good.

Crap, so easy to go OT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Two cars side by side, one car doing 70mph, the other doing 100mph....
    Both cars brake to stop when side by side...
    When the first car (that was travelling at70mph) comes to a stop, the other car is still travelling at 70mph.
    That's why excessive speed kills.
    Sorry for being off topic.

How will you all supporters of hypothesis "speed kills" explain fact, that on German motorways where there's plenty of drivers doing speed of excees of 100mph, and often in excess of 200km/h or sometimes excess of 300km/h there isn't any excessive road death compared to motorways in other countries where speed limit applies and people adhere to it?

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    How will you all supporters of hypothesis "speed kills" explain fact, that on German motorways where there's plenty of drivers doing speed of excees of 100mph, and often in excess of 200km/h or sometimes excess of 300km/h there isn't any excessive road death compared to motorways in other countries where speed limit applies and people adhere to it?

Who gives a **** about that? Doing 100 with someone up your hole is just stupid.

Who gives a **** about that? Doing 100 with someone up your hole is just stupid.
    And doing 100 up someones hole is even more stupid. Did you read my original post? I put my foot down to shake him as he was tailgating me at the limit on an empty motorway. When I realised he was matching my speed I slowed down to 50 mph until he overtook and fcuked off into the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Road deaths on German autobahns in Jan - Nov 2013 apparently have gone up compared to same period 2012 by about 8%, as far as I'm aware in Ireland the number of road deaths on motorways in Ireland dropped overall 2012-2013, and there is a constant ongoing debate about introducing speed limits on autobahns.

And doing 100 up someones hole is even more stupid. Did you read my original post? I put my foot down to shake him as he was tailgating me at the limit on an empty motorway. When I realised he was matching my speed I slowed down to 50 mph until he overtook and fcuked off into the distance.

Without sounding like the high horse brigade:
    Anyone driving for any length of time would have known that to get the result you desired (yer man off your bumper) would have been to slow down enough to where he'd rather pass you, you decided you'd break the speed limit with a tailgater first, what did you expect? Slowing down would have clearly been the safer option, yet you chose the riskier option over that, the fact he was tailgating you is hardly an excuse.

Speed kills, that is a fact, it doesn't matter how safe your car is, it can only withstand certain amount of forces, it doesn't matter if your car has a 5 star NCAP rating, it something immovable fast enough, you will come off worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Facts and figures please, from reliable sources.

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Well that was a close one, but we were talking about speed.
    This was clearly caused by idiot undertaking.

No, it looked like a car jumped out of the wat of the camera car and into the path of a faster car that was overtaking a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Nothing too spectacular, was trying out the iPhone in the cradle while I await delivery of my dashcam :D.

Very wet road, cyclist just out of shot was waiting to turn right but actually stopped and waved me passed so if he had of decided not to be polite to us drivers he could've came off worse.

No, it looked like a car jumped out of the wat of the camera car and into the path of a faster car that was overtaking a trailer.

Well, he can hardly be blamed. How could he expect that someone will be undertaking him on autobahn.

Iwannahurl wrote: »

From Wikipedia

Safety: international comparison
    A few countries publish the safety record of their motorways; the Federal Highway Research Institute[49] provided IRTAD statistics for the year 2010:

International Killed per 1 billion veh·km
    Country All roads Motorways
    Austria 7.32 2.15
    Belgium 8.51 2.87
    Czech Republic 16.22 3.38
    Denmark 5.65 1.92
    Finland 5.05 0.61
    France 7.12 1.79
    Germany 5.18 1.98
    Slovenia 7.74 3.77
    Switzerland 5.25 1.04
    United States[50] 6.87 3.62

Out of those countries, only Finland and Switzerland have considerably safer motorways than Germany. France and Denmark a small bit better.
    Everyone else is worse in regards safety on motorways (Austria, Belgium, Czech Rep, Slovenia, US).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

From Wikipedia

Safety: international comparison
    A few countries publish the safety record of their motorways; the Federal Highway Research Institute[49] provided IRTAD statistics for the year 2010:

International Killed per 1 billion veh·km
    Country All roads Motorways
    Austria 7.32 2.15
    Belgium 8.51 2.87
    Czech Republic 16.22 3.38
    Denmark 5.65 1.92
    Finland 5.05 0.61
    France 7.12 1.79
    Germany 5.18 1.98
    Slovenia 7.74 3.77
    Switzerland 5.25 1.04
    United States[50] 6.87 3.62

Out of those countries, only Finland and Switzerland have considerably safer motorways than Germany. France and Denmark a small bit better.
    Everyone else is worse in regards safety on motorways (Austria, Belgium, Czech Rep, Slovenia, US).

But yet from the same article
    The leading cause of autobahn accidents is "excessive speed": 6,587 so-called "speed related" crashes claimed the lives of 179 people, which represents almost half (46.3%) of 387 autobahn fatalities in 2012.[47] However, "excessive speed" does not mean that a speed limit has been exceeded, but that police determined at least one party travelled too fast for existing road[48] or weather conditions.[47] On autobahns 22 people died per 1000 injury crashes; a lower rate than the 29 deaths per 1,000 injury accidents on conventional rural roads, which in turn is five times higher than the risk on urban roads – speeds are higher on rural roads and autobahns than urban roads, increasing the severity potential of a crash.[47]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

It was all happening out there this evening, not sure what happened in the first video moments before I passed.

And minutes later the red Audi had a quick change of direction..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Cocoon wrote: »
    It was all happening out there this evening, not sure what happened in the first video moments before I passed.

And minutes later the red Audi had a quick change of direction..

I can clearly see in the second video he was doing his best to get in front of you and into that lane rather than take on the coach at the slip road, he does indicate and actually looks at you for a bit of understanding, was he trying to head North(looks like yellow plate)anyway you weren't letting him in!? I think I would have flashed him on in, maybe that's just me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It's just a dashcam video, to keep the thread on topic and at least mildly interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Cybercommando

Looked for a general Dashcam thread other than this but can't find one.

Not sure if I can ask this here but anyway: there are a lot of cheap dashcams on ebay. Any good ones you folks can recommend? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Looked for a general Dashcam thread other than this but can't find one.

Not sure if I can ask this here but anyway: there are a lot of cheap dashcams on ebay. Any good ones you folks can recommend? Thanks.

There's a thread on that here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well, he can hardly be blamed. How could he expect that someone will be undertaking him on autobahn.

Watch the full video...

White Audi correctly moves right after overtaking the Skoda estate with the bikes on the back to allow the camera car to overtake, which the camera car does

However the Sharan(?) driver is sitting in the outside (left) lane dawdling with nothing ahead of him or beside him and belatedly moves right as the camera car approaches without seeing the Audi behind him.

Sharan 100% at fault. Should have been in the middle/far right lane all along

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Watch the full video...
    I watched it again now.
    White Audi correctly moves right after overtaking the Skoda estate with the bikes on the back to allow the camera car to overtake, which the camera car does
    True
    However the Sharan(?) driver is sitting in the outside (left) lane dawdling with nothing ahead of him or beside him
    True
    and belatedly moves right as the camera car approaches without seeing the Audi behind him.
    True.
    But Audi shouldn't be there, as overtaking on the right (undertaking) is prohibited.
    Sharan 100% at fault. Should have been in the middle/far right lane all along

If there was accident, I think most likely blame would go to both, possibly more percentage of blame put on Audi driver.

I know in Ireland undertaking is normal everyday thing, but through all my driving in Germany I don't think i've seen one incident of undertaking (except in heavy traffic with lines of cars on every lane).
    No surprise then, that Sharan driver didn't expect someone will be undertaking him.

But Audi shouldn't be there, as overtaking on the right (undertaking) is prohibited.

But the Audi wasn't undertaking. It had in fact been overtaken by the faster camera car and continued on at the same speed in the centre lane.

The Sharan pulled in on top of him at the last minute but it should have been in the centre lane all along.

What you're saying is the Audi should have immediately pulled back out behind the camera car, but there was a several second gap between the camera car overtaking the Audi and coming up on the Sharan. We can't see what the Audi driver saw at that point depending on how far back it was.

Still reckon the Sharan 100% at fault for being in the wrong lane, and then almost causing an accident when it pulled over without checking mirrors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But the Audi wasn't undertaking. It had in fact been overtaken by the faster camera car and continued on at the same speed in the centre lane.

The Sharan pulled in on top of him at the last minute but it should have been in the centre lane all along.

What you're saying is the Audi should have immediately pulled back out behind the camera car, but there was a several second gap between the camera car overtaking the Audi and coming up on the Sharan. We can't see what the Audi driver saw at that point depending on how far back it was.

Still reckon the Sharan 100% at fault for being in the wrong lane, and then almost causing an accident when it pulled over without checking mirrors
    The Audi driver comes back into camera shot as he has undertaken the camera car. If he had slowed to avoid undertaking, he wouldn't have caused the situation and the other car could have changed lane safely. Having said that, the driver of the Sharan would share blame as he moved into a lane that was occupied by the Audi, even though it shouldn't have been there.

• Advertisement

Gosub wrote: »
    The Audi driver comes back into camera shot as he has undertaken the camera car. If he had slowed to avoid undertaking, he wouldn't have caused the situation and the other car could have changed lane safely. Having said that, the driver of the Sharan would share blame as he moved into a lane that was occupied by the Audi, even though it shouldn't have been there.

OR... you could argue that the Sharan caused the entire thing as it was in the wrong lane to begin with, and moved over without looking - but if it HAD been in the correct centre lane all along, the camera car could have overtaken without slowing down (and thus the Audi catching up), and the Audi could have moved back behind the camera car in good time to overtake as well.

This is why insurance claims are such fun - both sides have elements of truth :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement