Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

shesty I had/have fast letdown on one side!
    When my baby was younger it was like he was nearly choking :( then would get massive crazy pukes!
    I found starting on slower side first (use a haakka type pump on fast side) then put him on other side helped.
    Also the position another poster mentioned laid back helped too.
    Other times I found if I got him when he was sleepy and latched him on....that helped!
    I remember the hospital telling me he will catch up with it..he has ;)
    I am still feeding him at 10 months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well, the monkey had a monster breast feed at 6:30pm (fell asleep), another go at 7:30pm and then a 4oz bottle at 8:15pm.(he rarely drinks more than about 2.5-3oz out of a bottle).I am guessing a little growth spurt.Tomorrow morning I'll stay at home and try letting him feed and nap .I had to go out and do the playschool run this morning and a few errands so his morning sleep was quite disturbed which may not have helped.
    Funny to have it only on one breast Millem....the letdown happens in both my breasts at the same time and the one he isn't feeding from gets drenched, I can literally watch it spurting out.I must get a Hakaa actually, because I waste so much milk that way.

shesty wrote: »
    Funny to have it only on one breast Millem....the letdown happens in both my breasts at the same time and the one he isn't feeding from gets drenched, I can literally watch it spurting out.I must get a Hakaa actually, because I waste so much milk that way.

I call it “my bad boob”!! It’s my right side! It will literally squirt across the room!
    I think it’s quite common as have met a number of people at breastfeeding groups with the same thing!! He’s grand now in fact my problem now is he only wants to be breastfed!

Starting to freak a bit as am back to work properly in September (he will be 1!) and I haven’t heard anymore on breastfeeding breaks! I supervising the state exams for a week at the mo and am pumping or driving home in between exams to feed.
    Today I had to pump and he took basically nothing from Daddy (food or liquids!!)....hopefully we will have more luck with Granny tomorrow and his beaker! Disaster. Praying this new circular is in place for work in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

shesty wrote: »
    I must get a Hakaa actually, because I waste so much milk that way.

The Haakaa is fantastic. Even if you just use it for a couple of minutes at the start of each feed you could probably collect enough over the day to give him instead of formula for his evening bottle.

I used to get a couple of hundred ml every day and I didn't even use it for every feed. By 6 months I had my whole freezer filled to the brim with just milk from the Haakaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

I'm confused about how I should be using my haakaa. Bought it a while back but only tried it first time a few nights ago, with little success. The morning before last I tried to use on one side when he was feeding on other but he happened to vomit everything up so I abandoned. I tried it again yesterday evening while he was sleeping and only had 1 oz. I've stored it in fridge anyway and will try feed to him tomorrow to see how he takes bottle. He's 5 weeks btw.
    Am I just getting so little because I'm starting out? Or do you just get more by using multiple times in the day? Do you use new freezer bags for each time you collect and which do you recommend? Do I need to sterilise before each use or that was just first time and as long as I wash after using I'm ok? Sorry for all the questions. I just feel when I Google that I just find articles / videos about how easy it is to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

My 3 month old has phases of pulling on and off the breast also. We have had loads of feeding issues so it could be down to any number of reasons combined for us, however two things I have found helpful are feeding while baby is sleepy as mentioned above, and secondly putting some white noise on the phone beside him (lots of tracks on YouTube). It seems to distract and settle him enough to feed properly.

kastasia wrote: »
    I'm confused about how I should be using my haakaa. Bought it a while back but only tried it first time a few nights ago, with little success. The morning before last I tried to use on one side when he was feeding on other but he happened to vomit everything up so I abandoned. I tried it again yesterday evening while he was sleeping and only had 1 oz. I've stored it in fridge anyway and will try feed to him tomorrow to see how he takes bottle. He's 5 weeks btw.
    Am I just getting so little because I'm starting out? Or do you just get more by using multiple times in the day? Do you use new freezer bags for each time you collect and which do you recommend? Do I need to sterilise before each use or that was just first time and as long as I wash after using I'm ok? Sorry for all the questions. I just feel when I Google that I just find articles / videos about how easy it is to use.

It only works when the baby is feeding on one side. It's best if you can get it in place before the let down happens at the start. It doesn't matter how many times a day you use it but it won't collect much, if anything, if the baby's not feeding at the same time.

For storage, you can mix milk from different collection times once they are brought to the same temperature. As long as you don't mix fresh, warm milk into chilled milk you'll be ok. Apparently, it's ok to add chilled milk to frozen milk but I never did that. I used to keep the milk in bottles in the fridge. I had a system with two bottles. Each time I got some new milk, I'd put that in the fridge in a small bottle. When it was fully cold, I'd add it to a big bottle that had the rest of the chilled milk from previous collections and I'd rinse out the small bottle for the next collection. When the big bottle had enough to fill a freezer bag I'd transfer it into the bag for freezing, wash the bottle and start again. It sounds complicated but it was very straightforward.

You don't need to sterilise any equipment with breastmilk. Just wash it after each use.

I know the internet is full of information and it's hard to know what to read and look at. Kellymom is fantastic and is one website you can totally trust. I would go by their guidelines for everything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Great info thanks i had the same questions.
    Currently having a bit of a wrestling match of a feed but I can hear and feel the wind rattling in him!!

Edited to say that I have noticed a complication.I have suspected for a week or so that he has silent reflux, and after yesterday evening and this morning, I'm convinced of it.Have spent the last 2.5 hours trying to get him to sleep, he was obviously tired, yawning etc.He dropped off so many times, only to wake within minutes, gulping as if he has indigestion and crying.I think he is finally asleep, but more out of total exhaustion than anything else.Watching him this morning I feel he has been feeding to try and reduce the pain from the acid.

I had this with my first child too, and it was around this time aswell that we started to struggle with sleep etc, in the same way.She was on medication for it for a good year-I am a bit reluctant to go down the same route with him as I think he may not be so bad, (really hoping it might resolve itself by 12 weeks) but I'm not sure I can go through the next few weeks/months with a baby who is distressed and sleep deprived, being unable to do anything for him. His six week check is next week so I will talk to the doctor then, as I find they are reluctant to diagnose anything like that before then, unless it is extremely bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Thanks for the reply waterfaerie. The pumping is working fine, though not rushing to do much more until I've sorted out how to store it.
    I'm just wondering re the not needing to sterilise. This sounds great and I've seen it mentioned on some websites, but the hse and NHS still recommend ongoing sterilisation for expressed milk equipment. Are they just being overly cautious? My mam just mentioned having to sterilise everything today and I said I only needed to wash, but then afterwards I started thinking about it some more.
    Also what freezer storage bags do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I use the Hakaa aswell and I think it's great. I have a medela pump which I used first time around but I think I'll only use that now if I have to pump when I'm not feeding my daughter. Washing the hakaa is so easy compared to the individual parts of an electric pump.

One thing I noticed that affected the amount I expressed was how much water I was drinking. Every morning I could express 2-3 oz in one sitting but if I don't manage to drink water the previous night I could struggle to express a drop so my advice is to make sure you're well hydrated.

I'm using medela breastmilk storage bags at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi ladies,

I have a 23 week baby and I had planned on waiting till 26 weeks to introduce solids, starting with baby rice! She’s was sleeping through the night but has started waking anc I feed her and she seems genuinely hungry!

She’s EBF I’m just wondering should I start solids sooner? Maybe she needs more than milk? Has anyone here started before 26 weeks? And if so why?

Thanks ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I have a 23 week baby and I had planned on waiting till 26 weeks to introduce solids, starting with baby rice! She’s was sleeping through the night but has started waking anc I feed her and she seems genuinely hungry!

She’s EBF I’m just wondering should I start solids sooner? Maybe she needs more than milk? Has anyone here started before 26 weeks? And if so why?

Thanks ladies

I’ve always held off with my guys, I just feel it’s so much easier when they’re a bit older, and it’s easier to get food into them! I also hate starting solids, because it’s the end of the “grab a nappy and go phase”, which is SO much easier than thinking about solids!
    PS I wouldn’t bother with baby rice either, it doesn’t offer much by way of nutrition!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We started solids around 22 weeks with puree. We started early coz I buckled under pressure from the PHN who had her knickers in a twist over baby's weight gain - turned out not to be and issue- and it never made and difference to her weight.

Are there any other things going on that may cause baby to wake? Teething? A developmental leap? Have a look at wonder weeks if you don't have the app all already. Could the heat over the last few weeks be an issue? Or the sudden colder temps? Could they be having a growth spurt which will make them hungrier?

For what it's worth, like jlm29, I wouldn't bother with baby rice. It doesn't have any nutritional value. Your baby should be well able to handle puree food, the texture won't be much different to rice and will offer some nutrition.

Thanks ladies! Let’s me honest it could be any of those things! She does have the hand in the mouth a lot and it is very warm at night! I suppose I got used to the full nights sleep and now am wrecked after going back to the broken sleep! Just want a quick fix I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I read Sarah Ockwell-Smiths book on sleep when we were going through the 4 month sleep regression and one of the things she goes through is that introducing solids won’t help babies sleep. It’s explained more in this:

https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2014/09/16/ten-common-baby-parenting-myths-you-might-believe-and-why-you-shouldnt/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hi ladies,

Thanks ladies

Baby rice is awful stuff, skip it and go straight to finger foods which are recommended at six months. Solids made no difference to either of mine sleepwise, sleep is a developmental thing rather than a problem to be solved. I would not start solids before the WHO recommended age of 26 weeks, there's no benefit to it unless there's a specific medical need.

Thanks for the reply waterfaerie. The pumping is working fine, though not rushing to do much more until I've sorted out how to store it.
    I'm just wondering re the not needing to sterilise. This sounds great and I've seen it mentioned on some websites, but the hse and NHS still recommend ongoing sterilisation for expressed milk equipment. Are they just being overly cautious? My mam just mentioned having to sterilise everything today and I said I only needed to wash, but then afterwards I started thinking about it some more.
    Also what freezer storage bags do you use?

I hadn't heard what the HSE and NHS say about sterilising but I've heard from plenty of sources I trust that you don't need to, including the Kellymom website, my local Cuidiú breastfeeding counsellor and the IBCLC (lactation consultant) that I dealt with for my baby's tongue tie. Sometimes you have to take contrasting information from different reputable sources and go with what feels right to you. I rarely sterlilsed anything and I never had any problems.

I used the Lansinoh storage bags and I found Amazon by far the cheapest place for them.

Girls are many of you pumping in work? How do you manage?

I did it this week and it sooo much hassle and time consuming. I would much prefer to go home to feed baby.

I finished work for the summer now thank goodness.....looking forward to spending summer with my kids and feeding baby whenever he wants.

lazygal wrote: »
    Baby rice is awful stuff, skip it and go straight to finger foods which are recommended at six months. Solids made no difference to either of mine sleepwise, sleep is a developmental thing rather than a problem to be solved. I would not start solids before the WHO recommended age of 26 weeks, there's no benefit to it unless there's a specific medical need.

I agree absolutely with all of this. Wait until the recommended 26 weeks when the baby's system is fully ready. As Scarepanda said as well, there is likely a reason other than hunger for the change in sleep.

I also agree that going straight to finger foods is the best advice. Baby rice is not only nutritionally useless but it's actually very unhealthy. With purees, your choices are to feed your baby stuff that's full of sugar, salt and other additives, spend ridiculous amounts of money on gourmet brands that have no additives (if you believe them) or spend ridiculous amounts of time making your own.

If you're exclusively breastfeeding, baby led weaning is very much a natural progression from that. I can't tell you enough how stress and hassle free it is. Someone else mentioned the end of the “grab a nappy and go phase” once you start solids but that's really not the case if you do BLW. I keep a packet of corn cakes in my bag for emergencies but otherwise I'm still very much just grabbing a nappy and going as my baby just eats whatever I'm eating. There are lots of other benefits, too, mostly related to the baby's well being. I'd recommend reading the baby led weaning book if you're not convinced.

As for guidelines, the WHO have good reasons for their recommendations and I would trust them. On the other hand, Irish HSE workers, PHNs and formula and baby food manufacturers have different agendas and those are more to do with profits, tax, box ticking and getting mothers back into the workplace as early as possible than they are to do with what's best for your baby.

I started both mine round 22 weeks.No outside influence, they just both were ready, holding their heads up well, and seriously interested.I think I gave my first baby rice a couple of times, but didn't bother on my second, she started on pureed carrot.The baby rice ism't meant to be nutritious, it's just to get them used to the feel of something thats not liquid in their mouths.And " food before 1, is just for fun" anyway, so it's up to yourself if you want to use it or not.
    I agree solids aren't a solution to sleep issues though.Babies wake at night for months and go through phases of weeks where they wake more often.Unfortunately solids won't have much impact on that.If only it was that easy :-(

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice! It’s so hard to know!

My LO won’t take a bottle so I kinda felt the baby rice would be a good idea to get milk into her when I’m not around! I’d prefer to finish up the breast feeding in the next few weeks before I go back to work but the bottle is a total no go at the moment with her!

Also felt the baby rice would get her useful to the spoon.

Relating to baby led weaning I think I’d be too nervous about choking! I’m not cool or relaxed enough for it! I need something more structure. But def if I far a second baby I would consider it as I would be more confident

In relation to the waking up we had been trying to replace a feed at 6pm with a bottle but she won’t take it or takes very little! So that feed was being missed so I’m hoping that’s what was causing the night time hunger. Fingers crossed anyway

Thanks ladies for all your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You don't need to stop breastfeeding on return to work. My second child never took bottles and I weaned him at 4.5 years because I'm pregnant again.
    Choking is very rare, babies have a built in gag reflex. Purees are so much hassle and at six months finger foods are recommended anyway.

I'd just like to add, when I said puree, I meant texture of the food rather than bought puree! We started on pureed carrot etc. From my experience babies will eat so little that you can make enough to freeze for a number of days at a time. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the bought stuff, what you make yourself will be so much healthier and you know exactly what's gone into the food.

We started finger food around 7 months and very quickly my little girl was feeding herself every meal and snack with the exception of breakfast which was usually porridge . We always also have her a breaker of water/milk and spoons as well and let her play with them.

Pocos, finger food is a leap of faith, but it's so handy!!! I'll definitely start it even earlier if we ever have a no.2. You'll know very quickly what texture your baby is ready for.
    Also I wouldn't worry about a bottle at this stage, just put all liquids into a beaker. My breastfed baby never really took a bottle very handy, but she took to the 360 beakers the best out of all we have tried.

I wasn't brave enough to do BLW straight away with mine either but I introduced finger food early (earlier on the second) and ended up kind of doing a cross between the two, purees and finger food.Worked fine.Both mine demanded the spoon round 12/13 mths, so I let them have it it's messy but amazing how quick they work it out.
    Definitely make your own purees, the shop bought ones aren't worth it.I use shopbought bany food as kind of a back up for the odd days I hd nothing left in the freezer.They actually taste really bland compared to.your own cooked stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I did a baby weaning course with a dietician a couple of months ago just to prepare myself and one of the things she explained was one of the important things about food before 1 is introducing them to flavours and the thing about the bought stuff is that it doesn’t particularly taste like anything. For example the deliciously Ella pouches all include apple so all the baby gets to taste is sweet apple. She said they’re grand the odd time but better not to rely on them.

I've had a taste of some of those Ella pouches and they basically all taste the same!!!Very bland, mainly a bit oniony.The bolognese one was the only one my kids seemed to have any interest in, the rest they pushed away.Once you start cooking for them, most kids like the variety in taste I think.It's very time consuming for the first while but it's worth it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

With my 2 year old he had a mixture of purees and finger food - he was always a very hungry baby so giving him some food to mess with himself but also spoonfeeding him some seemed to work well. Out of the storebought ones, we particularly liked the For Aisha ones - his favourites were the tomato and lentil dhal and the chicken and sweet potato curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

lazygal wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Thanks ladies

What type of finger food do you recommend?

Whatever your having yourself. If I remember correctly we started with banana (coz I was very nervous at first), then we moved to other stuff like toast, carrot sticks (they make a great teether!, I think we started with slightly softened sticks at first), a little bit of pealed apple, orange segments, tomato etc. Make sure if you give grapes and cherry tomatoes that you cut them in half.

I always gave a piece slightly bigger than what she could fit in her mouth because she had a habit of trying to stuff it all in at once. But giving her a bigger piece meant that she had to take a bite and she learned very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Millem wrote: »
    Girls are many of you pumping in work? How do you manage?

I did it this week and it sooo much hassle and time consuming. I would much prefer to go home to feed baby.

I finished work for the summer now thank goodness.....looking forward to spending summer with my kids and feeding baby whenever he wants.

I pumped in work for around six months (although I only work 2-3 days a week), as I returned when baby was 5.5 months old. I was away from him for 9.5 hours per day. To be honest, it was stressful. I only get one break all day, which is 30 mins long, and did my pumping then. It meant that I often had to choose between pumping and eating - and usually chose pumping.

Once wasn’t enough. Two 20-30 min breaks, one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon, would’ve been much better. I often wasn’t getting enough milk during one session to feed my baby for the full day when I was away, and so I also had to pump on my days off and use that to supplement.

You also need a good pump. I bought the spectra double electric pump and it was a lot easier than my single.

Advertisement