Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katy French in a critical condition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

tbh wrote: »
    10,300 views by people who don't know who she is. ;)
    Lol! Yeah it's especially surprising the number of people who've never heard of her but still felt compelled to leave a comment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Stargal wrote: »
    Btw: This thread has had over 10,300 views in little more than a day. There have been over one hundred people anytime I've checked this morning...
    Ker-azy.

Right now there are 20 members and 106 guests...the vast majority of these guests are in fact search engine and adserver crawlers. Also, the thread view increments each time one of these spiders views so the actual human thread view is likely to be about 500-1000 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Stargal wrote: »
    Lol! Yeah it's especially surprising the number of people who've never heard of her but still felt compelled to leave a comment ;)

I commented about 3 times since yesterday but had never heard of the woman until viewing the thread. It is human nature I suppose...like car crash television, you know it is dirty but you just cannot help looking and talking about it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Kar0ma

The simple fact is Sex Sells both to men and women. Men will decry the scarlett harlot while secretly wanting her, and women will aspire to be fasionable like her while secretly despising her fame.

This country is not alone in elevating people to the status of celebrity, but where the UK revels in the Chaviness of them, Ireland treats these celebs almost as upper class folk.

How often have we seen the trashy promotional photos but also photos of 'celebs' attending posh dos as well.

Personally she is a pretty girl, I don't really care who or what she is, as she has no impact on my life. It is unfortunate that my first thought is of OD when I hear she is in hospital. Perhaps she will reflect on this when or if she recovers.

What we can all do without is a Gloria Hunniford style raping of her name ala her daughter, 3 books, 2 radio documentaries and 2 TV docs at the last count. I don't mean to belittle Gloria or her grief but their is a thin and tasteful line between public grief and public promotion.

I have no doubt that RTE is currently in a bidding war with Katy's agent for the rights to her first recovery interview/public funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

If you were paid a large sum of money to post on boards would you take the job, or would you think "actually, these people don't want to hear my opinions - I'm annoying them, I'll find something else to do".

honestly now.

Continuing the boards comparison; if I was offered good money to post on boards with opinions that wavered and varied depending on how much more money I'd be paid or how much I could increase my post-count irrespective of the relevance of those opinions expressed, yes I'd take the job. However, I wouldn't be at all suprised at any expressions of relief on the day I decided to stop posting, self interest would lead me to take the job and so why would I be surpised when people were happy when I stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

chabsey wrote: »
    Continuing the boards comparison; if I was offered good money to post on boards with opinions that wavered and varied depending on how much more money I'd be paid or how much I could increase my post-count irrespective of the relevance of those opinions expressed, yes I'd take the job. However, I wouldn't be at all suprised at any expressions of relief on the day I decided to stop posting, self interest would lead me to take the job and so why would I be surpised when people were happy when I stopped?

but why would boards pay you if no-one wanted to read you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Spicy123

She is an ordinary girl. And the reason people shouldn't be bad mouthing her is not only because they don't know her, but because the girl could die...it's called having a bit of respect.

I hate the stuff when people say "I'm not a hypocrit, so I'll say what I like". I'd rather be a hypocrit than be disrespectful and hurt someones feelings.

And even if the girl was doing drugs, which there is no proof that she was nor do I personally believe she was, there is nothing to say this would have been the cause of her illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Never heard of her tbh, but with so many views had to take a peek.
    Iv'e read the thread, every post, and find it unbelieveable how so many people can speculate at what happened. Hoping almost that it was something self inflicted.

Regardless of what happened to her, i wish her a full recovery. Live and let live. Why is it so hard to do that in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

themadchef wrote: »
    Iv'e read the thread, every post, and find it unbelieveable how so many people can speculate at what happened.

Isn't it obvious??
    She's normally on the cover of the Sunday papers, her public life splashed all over the place (the way she and her publicity machine would want it), yet now... when a huge issue has striked and may potential end her life, we are being restricted to the finding out the truth and knowing what happened.
    It's now ironic that so many are wondering what's happened and want to know and speculate.

That's the power of 'celebs'. Love 'em or hate 'em, they wield a huge amount of power, but they're not always the ones in control of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

im truly shocked by the amount of hate filled venom directed towards katie french in here
    not only is she a beautifull girl , ive seen her interviewed on both tv and radio and shes not only articulate and inteligent , shes throughly charming and can unlike many of the so called beautiful people , laugh at herself

ive seen her in papers and ive never thought any of her shots were all that racy

i do hope the delightfull katy makes a full recovery and i hope the haters in here get better too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I can't see it on the Sky News website?

No one hates her, its just that some people see her as media hungry, while others see her as a lovely articulate girl.

Its hard to shake off the stigma of drug taking once exposed. I am sure to her parents she is priceless, so for their sakes we should wish her well.

As for the media, the combination of a pretty girl with a drug and failed romance past equals increased exposure. Katy knows this and makes money out it. One wonders whether if it was an unattractive girl would she get so much press. We all know the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1295581,00.html

we have wars all over the world pverty hurricanes and all else and this is on the front page?

Why do the press continually describe Katy as the Controversial Model?

What has she done, that any 18 year old hasn't done on a friday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The irony here being that so many of these research trusts / care units depend on the work of 'celebs' / their famous patrons to spread their word, do promotion etc... to get vital funding...

No, the workers who run the fund raising organisations are the ones who spread the word and do the promotion (all while commuting in the same traffic in the rest of us for about half the pay) the celebrity usually only appears at the end of the project in order to attract the photographers, motivation for this varies bu you can be assured they are mainly doing it for thelselves.

Lets show respect for the people who really deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

as a young girl she is seen (by old people) as a role model for their kids. and whatever she does is magnified cause of the whole media hooring that on top of some peoples jelousy and anger over drugs makes her controversial i think...

to me she is just a bleached dub girl. theres thousands of them who are identical to her walkin/flashin up and down grafton every weekend.

parliament wrote: »
    No, the workers who run the fund raising organisations are the ones who spread the word and do the promotion (all while commuting in the same traffic in the rest of us for about half the pay) the celebrity usually only appears at the end of the project in order to attract the photographers, motivation for this varies bu you can be assured they are mainly doing it for thelselves.

Lets show respect for the people who really deserve it.

I'd never heard of the landmines charity before di and heather mills
    I'd never heard of End Poverty Now before Bob and Bono.
    I'd never heard of the rainforest until sting and that bloke with the CD in his lip on Wogan. The list goes on. To say that celebs don't attract attention to a cause is being facitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

We are seeing a lot of schedenfraude in this thread. Never heard of her till I saw her on Tubridy. Hope she gets well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just heard on the radio shes dead there....

RIP Katie

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

parliament wrote: »
    cool by association; I hope you extend your best wishes to the hundreds of less fortunate people who take ill every day. Guess some people still live in hope that they will get to meet their heroes in person and recall how they wished them the best when they were ill all while their hero looks down on them with in amazement at the loyalty of their lesser beings
    As it happens, I do! I work in a job which brings me in contact with lots of sick people. Anyway, this thread is about Katy French and I'm entitled to extend my good wishes to her.

Fieldog wrote: »

RIP Katie

RIP Katy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

RIP Katie

Sad to hear.

RIP Katie

:confused:

Sad to hear she has died but now we will be bombarded with how wonderful she was.

Odds on 'Goodbye Dublin Rose' being recorded by someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Spicy123

Rest in Peace Katie.

No matter what anyone says, she lived her life and everyone knew about it because of the career path she chose. She didn't decide to be a media sensation and THEN go for modelling.

Katie French was an ordinary girl who lived her life and made mistakes that many people have. Maybe people are right in saying "She should have known better", but screw that! So should smokers etc.

I pray for her and her family and hope that anyone that has anything bad to say about her can keep their lips buttoned.

Save the respect for people who deserve it? She was a human being who didn't inflict hatred or pain on anyone so in my eyes, without a doubt, she deserves respect.

• Advertisement

Has she really? Heard nothing on the news there...sad...RIP Katy.

I'd never heard of the landmines charity before di and heather mills
    I'd never heard of End Poverty Now before Bob and Bono.
    I'd never heard of the rainforest until sting and that bloke with the CD in his lip on Wogan. The list goes on. To say that celebs don't attract attention to a cause is being facitious.

Edited:

If the news is true its sad to hear. Nobody deserves to have their life cut short.

I'd say Bono pays a higher percentage of his salary to charity than you do, and a higher percentage of his time probably.

I've not seen any reports that she's dead on any sites. One of the lads from the Waterford party died, maybe the poster got confused.

All celebrities receive a substantial tax write off for Charity contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think she's dead. Perhaps someone is mixing her up with one of those lads from Waterford who died this afternoon...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was nothing on 2FM news at 4 about it..

Has anyone else apart from that poster heard on the radio that she died? Because it isn't on any sites or any radio news I just listened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I've not heard that she died. breakingnews.ie has reported that one of the lads from the Waterford cocaine party have died. That's the only remotely similar report I can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ivorygal

What radio station did you hear it on?

RTE news doesn't have that story yet.

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think she's dead. Perhaps someone is mixing her up with one of those lads from Waterford who died this afternoon...?

Yeah that's what I'm guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Any link to confirm her death?

Kar0ma wrote: »
    All celebrities receive a substantial tax write off for Charity contributions.

Everybody gets the same write off. There are no laws for celebrities. We're going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

Still no word if she is dead or not, you shouldnt say she is dead if you arent sure - Jesus give me patience.

lets just assume all rumours are false unless someone can post a link to rte or whatever.

RIP Katie

Are you sure, Fieldog. This hasn't been mentioned on the news I was listening to, nor on the Afternoon Show - they just extended their good wishes to her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 I Shot J.R.

No mention on fm104 news either, just the Waterford lad.

Fieldog

GET YOUR STORIES CORRECT - she is NOT DEAD.

There was a report that she died on the way to hospital and was revived, he may be mishearing the report.

I'd say Bono pays a higher percentage of his salary to charity than you do, and a higher percentage of his time probably.

And more that you and anybody else on this thread, whats your point?

He as infinitely more time and money, but on a ratio of free time and time spent doing charity work, I know many people who do a whole lot more for charity the Bono. Have you not realised that the naysayers here mostly have a problem with the genreal public gushing about how much they respect and admire these everyday unextraordinary people. If a so called celebrity performed some fund raising for a homeless charity they would be hailed as a role model yet the same people worshiping the celebrity would probably still show no more concern for the plight of the homeless man that their beloved celebrity brought focus to.

Has she changed hospitals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hold your horses peeps!!!

I was literally going by what one of the lads in work said to me, I hope he was getting mixed up with that Waterford lad....

(even though I shouldnt)

My heart goes out to both families....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I have it from a reliable source that they switched off her life support a couple of hours ago. Have been looking for it to come up on a newsite for the last while but it hasnt. I would not be taking anything as gospel until confirmed reports. Rumours can spread very easily in these cases and even reach the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I heard the same Mike - we'll know for sure in the next while

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I have it from a reliable source that they switched off her life support a couple of hours ago. Have been looking for it to come up on a newsite for the last while but it hasnt. I would not be taking anything as gospel until confirmed reports. Rumours can spread very easily in these cases and even reach the media.

Jesus did you ever wonder why?

• Advertisement

Has anybody heard anything about it definitely being cocaine (not that it really really matters) just that she was on about it last week

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement