Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I had hoi sin spare ribs from aldi for dinner tonight..

Amazeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Are you people stupid or something? As long as condoms havn't passed the durex's expiry date they're going to be fine. All condoms regardless of brand have the same success percentage, it's all down to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

RWCNT wrote: »
    condoms - it's all down to taste.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

Most of the stuff in Aldi is great. However, bought "Irish" chicken there a coupleof weeks back, got it home and found it was produced in Northern Ireland.

Tasted fine though[/Quote]

Ha ha! Class... British meat masquerading as Irish in contravention of Trade Description, or perhaps this is covered by the Good Friday Agreement.

I know a good few farmers and they'd have taken the double to you if u said they were British. Anyways, I thought 'British' would have been a better sales angle nowadays.

I ramble. I would not buy bacon or sausages or most meats from Lidl. Never been to aldi. I am a happy shopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I wouldn't shop in either of them. Never have, never will. http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,543485,00.html

• Advertisement

hcass wrote: »
    I wouldn't shop in either of them. Never have, never will. http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,543485,00.html

That looks like dodgy journalism to me but I'm sure this sort of mis management happens everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

That looks like dodgy journalism to me but I'm sure this sort of mis management happens everywhere.

"female workers who have their periods may go to the toilet now and again, but to enjoy this privilege they should wear a visible headband".

From The Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/27/germany.supermarkets

There's plenty more stories about the disgraceful treatment of staff. Just google.

"female workers who have their periods may go to the toilet now and again, but to enjoy this privilege they should wear a visible headband".

From The Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/27/germany.supermarkets

There's plenty more stories about the disgraceful treatment of staff. Just google.

Oh right, that's outrageous if it's true. Unbelieveable, staggering. Haven't time to read now but I'll take your word for it. If this true the place should indeed be boycotted and prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Just a few things:

I think we're all agreed that their baked beans are rank (turn to mush).

Don't know about Lidl but I don't think Aldi do a Worcestershire sauce and I love me Lea & Perrins.

Tartare sauce: Nowhere near as nice as Colman's. (Very cloying. Not enough vinegar and very few capers.)

Razor blades. (Can't beat Gillette.DISGUSTINGLY expensive, but they are much smoother and last a lot longer so, no point in a false economy.)

Apart from that I buy pretty much everything in Aldi.

Top-Tip: Don't buy the cheap coleslaw or orange juice. Spend a few extra cents (still ridiculously cheap) and get the luxury coleslaw and the not-from-concentrate orange juice.

As for the tills, as was said earlier, put everything on the belt in the order you want to pack them. Racing the cashier is way more fun than aerobics and is about the only work-out I get during the week.:pac:

Just forgot check out their gravy granules. The packaging is a complete rip-off of Bisto's and it's called Quixo. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

skafish wrote: »
    Most of the stuff in Aldi is great. However, bought "Irish" chicken there a coupleof weeks back, got it home and found it was produced in Northern Ireland.
    Did it have a tricolour on the package ?

I've noticed that in different retailers 1L cartons of milk are NDC approved whereas the 2L plastic ones may be just labelled Ireland.

So I'm spending that extra 1c a litre for cartons,
    also they take less space in the recycling bin

Which of Dunnes / Tesco / Supervalue / Spar / Centra have NDC own brand milk ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dmcronin wrote: »
    The returns policy is good, if something stuffs up or it just doesn't suit.
    3 years on lots of stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Lidl are great for the price you pay. Will not buy their porridge as any time i bought it previously it had a horrible gluey smell. I also avoid their large value pack beef minces, having had one digest fairly poorly on me some time back. I will no longer buy their microwavable vegetables due to their condom-rubber consistency. Their low fat 'diet' yoghurts could be better (less calories)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Hope you've done equivalent research on Dunnes and Tesco in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I get you now! have to say dont like that system. find dunnes much better, you can pack at ur leisure and dont have to pack items into the trolley again and then move and then pack into bags. very strange

I'll take strange any day, especially when you find things like the exact same pack of cherry tomatoes - Aldi/Lidl 69cent - Dunness 2.99.

I don't mind packing at the window for this reduction - and thats just ONE item.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Perhaps this isn't such a bad idea and could be introduced everywhere. This way we can all see of our female colleagues needed to be treated a little more kindly and when it is best not to confront female bosses. Wouldn't have to be headband, a scarlet x sticker on the forehead would suffice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

To clarify, this whole article is based on something another magazine "Stern" reported on. Stern is a German paper mostly purchased for the pictures of naked ladies on the cover, and a few made-up shock stories inside, the quality of journalism would be a litlle below that of the Sun.

Basing your shopping behaviour on an article from a less than reputable magazine some 4 years ago seem a little irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Shenshen wrote: »
    To clarify, this whole article is based on something another magazine "Stern" reported on. Stern is a German paper mostly purchased for the pictures of naked ladies on the cover, and a few made-up shock stories inside, the quality of journalism would be a litlle below that of the Sun.

Basing your shopping behaviour on an article from a less than reputable magazine some 4 years ago seem a little irrational.

Jaysus, is that possible ????:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

red sean wrote: »
    Jaysus, is that possible ????:eek:

Easily.
    Think "My husband got abducted by aliens who look like Elvis, and put his brain into this here dog".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Anything from either store;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

karaokeman wrote: »
    Anything from either store;)

Can I ask why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So much salt and glucose-fructose syrup in their stuff. You know you're just getting the hoof meat, in your burgers, too, they taste a bit crap. Their breakfast cerials are kinda rubbish. I like their bread, cheese and milk, though. Chocolate is great. They have some beers like Spaten and Franziskaaner which are nicer than Bud and Heineken, etc. in my opinion.

Basically no meat, really. Or fruit and veg; it goes off by the time you get it home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trollymctroll

Children!

No major shopping should never attempt to sell me innocent children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trollymctroll

Children!

No major shopping chain should never attempt to sell me children.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Excelsior (beer) in Lidl is absolutely fúcking horrible. Pure and utter cat piss, but it's only like €3 for 4 cans so I can see why some people buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

Why do people refuse to buy some stuff from lidl/aldi?

Do you prefer to spend more money on the same item in an irish supermarket?

They're very strict on the quality of their foods, just because the price is cheap doesnt mean the quality is.

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Excelsior (beer) in Lidl is absolutely fúcking horrible. Pure and utter cat piss, but it's only like €3 for 4 cans so I can see why some people buy it

Spaten from Aldi. €1.70 for a bottle. Super stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Grayditch wrote: »
    So much salt and glucose-fructose syrup in their stuff. You know you're just getting the hoof meat, in your burgers, too, they taste a bit crap. Their breakfast cerials are kinda rubbish. I like their bread, cheese and milk, though. Chocolate is great. They have some beers like Spaten and Franziskaaner which are nicer than Bud and Heineken, etc. in my opinion.

Basically no meat, really. Or fruit and veg; it goes off by the time you get it home.

you could say that about any store - in fact Dunnes/Tesco/etc probably have the same, and more. Re. cereals - their cereals are the good for you, (no pretty pictures) type brand, as opposed to the cartoon character highly sugared cocopoppy sort of choice you get in the bigger stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

you could say that about any store - in fact Dunnes/Tesco/etc probably have the same, and more. Re. cereals - their cereals are the good for you, (no pretty pictures) type brand, as opposed to the cartoon character highly sugared cocopoppy sort of choice you get in the bigger stores.

I've been in LIDL before and seen chocolate and sugar puff cereals there.

But the problem is they don'y have any options without glucose fructose syrup in a lot of items. They have no jam without tonns of that stuff. I try stay away from anything with GFS in it, so at least Dunnes has lots of options without that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Galahad lager, complete and utter pisswater:pac:

The razors in Lidl are crap also, I'd rather shave my face with a broken bottle.

Advertisement