Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Batistuta9 - thanks a million for the very prompt reply.. have changed my password to all my systems ... i saw my recent login activity.. i have apparently logged into my email from france, japan and poland...:eek:

Is it as simple as changing my password to stop any more of those funny emails???

How did they get my password in the first place? (the fact they got it - does it mean they have access to my pc?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Ramette wrote: »
    How did they get my password in the first place? (the fact they got it - does it mean they have access to my pc?)
    Could have, run Malwarebytes to check for keyloggers.

If it was a simple password eg apples1 then a bot (computer) could have used a dictionary attack (program that runs through every word in the dictionary) on it and got it that way.

Have a look at using lastpass for your passwords.

You could have got phished, ie, you could have received an email from a site you bought something from, that may not have come from that site at all, if you logged in through that email they'd get it that way.

^^^Shocking some of the people that get caught out this way or something similar to this.

Ramette wrote: »
    Is it as simple as changing my password to stop any more of those funny emails???
    It can be, if it's a bot you'd be cutting access and that'd be the end of it.

Or it's not coming from you at all and your email address was spoofed.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253305/minimize_your_exposure_to_email_spoofing.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

thanks Rucking Fetard.. i ran that software, it detected some thingies and removed them... i will be a lot more reticent in accessing sites in future and i will make sure i check my log in history too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This has been a good thread for me as I've got great advice on speeding up my computer which is running great at the moment (fingers crossed). So hearty thanks to those experts for helping me out. Sadly, I have another question. I have created a very simple spreadsheet and have a couple of thousand entries (its a big project). I checked each page after I typed it but am now doing another thorough check and have discovered about three or four instances where actual formulas are showing. Now I cleared everything off before I started because I wanted to be in complete control of what I type and made sure of the settings but I've no idea why these forumlas (formulae?) are turning up as I didn't enter any. I have everything set to 'General'. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

my flash player and plug-ins keep freezing. Its very difficult to watch any videos. What may be wrong? I use the firefox browser

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I have the same problem - apparently there is a financial conflict between Adobe and whoever - I have Free.fr and I can't watch anything on YouTube or listen to the radio on-line. Meanwhile, it's a pain in the neck srl :mad:

Fine for me on Firefox, I'd delete it from your Control Panels and reinstall if I were ye. That usually does the trick when it gives bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Well I'll translate what says -
    Your Google Chrome navigator already includes Adobe Flash Player. Google Chrome will automatically install (?) updates when the new versions of Flash Player will be available.
    So apart from that load of waffle - tada :rolleyes:

Hope someone can help me. Some websites in foreign languages have a translation button included on them. However I have also come across some foreign websites that don't. Is there a way of getting the 'puter to translate them automatically for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Hope someone can help me. Some websites in foreign languages have a translation button included on them. However I have also come across some foreign websites that don't. Is there a way of getting the 'puter to translate them automatically for me?
    I don't know of an automatic way that'll do it as soon as you visit the site (though there probably is one), but if it isn't translated for you, you can just stick the address in here and it'll do it for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks Blowfish, but I need the whole website translated, not just the address so doubt if that would be enough for me. Seems like a lot of work though to put whole pages of text into that Google box.

What browser are you using? Chrome has an addon that'll let you do it on the site page anyway. Firefox probably has it aswell.

I cant link or look properly as on phone at the min and my internets gone to hell.

Google Tanslate addon should get you it.

You can translate the whole page with google translate aswell. I think you just put in site address instead of bits of text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/translate-this/?src=ss

This is an add on for Mozilla Firefox that i use for translating pages or bits of pages. Works just fine.

ken wrote: »
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/translate-this/?src=ss

This is an add on for Mozilla Firefox that i use for translating pages or bits of pages. Works just fine.

Will try that add-on. Never knew what they were all about. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Hi,bought a new Asus laptop,anyone got any idea why it give of a load of screeching feedback when i am closing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

it sounds as if the mic is coming into contact with the speakers, what laptop is it and do you have any programs open when your doing this. Its new and you've broken it already ha ha

tipptom wrote: »
    Hi,bought a new Asus laptop,anyone got any idea why it give of a load of screeching feedback when i am closing it?
    Closing the lid? loose connection probably but as its new, send it back i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Question for you. My landline has been down for a couple of days. I had to travel to a village a fair way off (about ten mins drive on the expressway) to find a public phone to report the fault.

This morning my broadband is back so I am pleased with that. But my phone is still out of action.

How can I have my broadband back but still have no phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I dont know what set up you have,but did you check the micro filter? It looks like this http://www.eircom.net/accessories/broadband/broadbandtab/filterssplitters/

• Advertisement

Yes the filters are fine. It is an outside fault. So if I am not around too much it will be for the broadband being down too. Took 3 1/2 hours to get online tonight. :(

That's a shame Rube. If it were me, I'd have a nervous tick by now, without me internet.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    That's a shame Rube. If it were me, I'd have a nervous tick by now, without me internet.

I can sometimes get online, so I can survive Jellybaby. It is the loss of my phone that is getting to me just now. I use it to keep in touch with my father, who is very old and housebound, and too far to visit regularly.

Hope you get sorted soon Rube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Can anyone advise how to download a You Tube video safely. Last time I tried I ended up with a virus :(:(

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise how to download a You Tube video safely. Last time I tried I ended up with a virus :(:(
    Youtubefisher
    nirsofts videocacheview
    j downloader

^^^have worked in the last wk.

Youtube constantly change how they show vids lately to stop people copying them

Kat1170 wrote: »
    This works now, just checked it their.

Read this before you install it, it uses something like no2 when you're installing it trying to get you to install a toolbar or something so just watch what you agree to. It's fine though, no viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Do you use skype? It can be used to dial landlines at a small cost.

Thank you all for your helpful advice, it is all fixed now. Apparently the exchange was hit by lightening and it blew the box up, Some damage and some ok bits (explains the broadband I suppose) Anyway thanks again everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

just printed an excel doc. Image was not sharp, but was legible. looked blurry with a shadow around each caracther. anybody know why this is?

Advertisement